Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Future Of Pirate101

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Willowydream on Jan 20, 2016 wrote:
Pirate101 has been changing over the past few years (based mostly on player feedback, I might add) with faster travel and Fast Combat, and Advanced Pets & Advanced Companions, and finally Ranked PvP:

Players don't like large crews, they think most companions are worthless and too expensive to keep leveled? How do we go into the next world and address that concern?

Players think combat takes too long, epic animations take too long, too many enemies are added to the battle board when there is a full team of four? How do we go into the next world and address that concern?

Players don't like sailing their ships from place to place because it takes too long, and they don't like nautical battles -- too much button mashing, cool downs are too long, there is no strategy involved, they just let the enemy board? How to address this concern in the next world?

Players think (insert pirate class here) is over/underpowered. (Insert power name here) needs to be buffed/nerfed? How to address this concern in the next world?

Players want a storyline update, but it's been so long their expectations are going to be through the roof? We've got fewer staff and another, more popular game to keep updated, and (insert other crisis) going on...

How do we release the next world and not disappoint half of our remaining player base?

Yeah... not easy...
If players don't like large crews would KI care, if they don't want to level certain companions up that's their choice

If combat takes too long play offensively, with 4 players the enemy has as many goons on their side to as many pirates and companions they are facing plus 4 pirates make it quick

I agree that nautical battles need a revamp but with mark and recall their is enough sailing for you to become familiar with world you are questing in and not feel like you are on a road trip

A few powers need changes how to address this in the new world one way is to release the update and see how everything is and then smooth the edges in a maintanence

Ensign
Oct 15, 2012
Updating Pirate101 is far more complicated than Wizard101. Consider the new talents we'd want from our own Pirates, now add having to promote and update all the companions. I'm wishing like everyone else it will happen, and very soon.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
CaptainKaz on Jan 21, 2016 wrote:
Updating Pirate101 is far more complicated than Wizard101. Consider the new talents we'd want from our own Pirates, now add having to promote and update all the companions. I'm wishing like everyone else it will happen, and very soon.
Did KI even elaborate on how more complex updating P101 is than W101's? My answer, they didn't... yet. Even more, did you even see & understand their way they do updates to P101?

When P101 was Live, KI began work on new story updates, starting with the creation of Book 13, & it only took them months before it, & Book 14, went out, according to the Frogfather in one of his previous Producer's Letters, & at that time being, the previous changes weren't made. Today, KI's been doing all they can to chart a more settled course to go with the game's latest changes while still making their story updates in their main course charts.

Maybe someday, you may need to ask a question to someone at KI who knows the process in P101's updates & have that question answered in their later blog post, so it would be more clear to you & perhaps us. We've seen glimpses to later companion tier promotions, like Old Scratch's, & even their art doesn't take too long to whip up.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
I just wonder if things in KI are going at the same rate then when will we get to Eldorado or finish the game? It's been a few years since aquila came out and it's the only world not originally in the game when p101 first came out. Hopefully within a few years or so so we don't retire our jobs before then. Jk

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
I totally hear you Unfair Angel. I just think your post might be a little... well, "unfair". KI has repeatedly said that it takes a long time to make a world. You might be thinking "Yeah, but look at all the W101 worlds that came out in this 3-year period". Well, P101 is completely different than W101. The game style, the graphics, companions... the only thing that might be similar is the 101 symbol and crown shop . I suggest giving it until 2017. Then we can really press the issue .

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
Red Pirate on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
I totally hear you Unfair Angel. I just think your post might be a little... well, "unfair". KI has repeatedly said that it takes a long time to make a world. You might be thinking "Yeah, but look at all the W101 worlds that came out in this 3-year period". Well, P101 is completely different than W101. The game style, the graphics, companions... the only thing that might be similar is the 101 symbol and crown shop . I suggest giving it until 2017. Then we can really press the issue .
2017? noooooooo way jose. If we don't get a world by the end of the summer i'm outta here.

Lieutenant
Sep 14, 2015
Fearless Finnagan on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
2017? noooooooo way jose. If we don't get a world by the end of the summer i'm outta here.
I couldn't have agreed with you more, Finnagan.

Wicked Aaron Brewster

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Maybe by late spring or early summer, a huge surprise may come. Here are the list that might be added eventually below.

1.Crafting-Our pirates may have the ability to collect reagents like armada parts, coral, wooden planks etc. Craft them to great gears,weapons,deeds and other stuff.

2. More Ship boss- As a veteran player, why stop at that boss in that world ? I would like to see more ship boss in both upcoming worlds and current worlds. Like a dungeon or a secrete location.

3.Ability to hang our gears and other stuff on the wall.It would be a shame to accidentally throw away a rear find,like bundle gears,nefarious five items etc.

4.Book 15 and beyond- This is the most anticipated of all. I miss playing as a , she is been maxed level for a long time. At least my lower leveled characters,have the time to catch up, espically on my second account.

5.Maybe pvp tournaments- This feature if added,takes ranked pvp to the next level. It's a 4,8 or 12 round tournaments.This feature is for both ship and traditional,the question is will you be number 1 ?

These are the stuff, that may come someday.

Ensign
Dec 21, 2009
Trimond297 on Nov 3, 2015 wrote:
You're right. P101's approach on world travelling is way different from W101's world travelling approach. There's still the rest of Marco Pollo's Map Pieces to find and take back from Kane. El Dorado still needs to be found, & the Armada still needs to be stopped.

Let's not forget the new quests about Manny Moe and Jack that led to the Skull Island Expansion Zones to Blood Shoals & others took time to create & produce, too, & I couldn't be even more proud of how amazing they did to them. These old quests were too boring & didn't fit the standards to P101's many adventure instances. It was worth it to see them revamp & add new Zones to Skull Island & revitalize the early storyline quests.

Bit bummed that there aren't any hints to what's to come for P101 in that recent newsletter, though.

I hope the update we have not long ago won't also be the only one for this year.

Remember, we still have the KI MMO Live Team, meaning the whole team is working on creating & bringing in updates to both W101 & P101, instead of alternating between the two games on two separate teams. Makes the waiting time for updates to both games & maybe towards later ones to arrive a lot more shorter that way. They never stopped because of it. They'll still add updates to P101 with that while W101 continues to receive more updates at once, positively for sure.

Your wisdom never ceases to amaze us.

Let's still not try to be negative about waiting for continuing with P101's storyline, people. We still need to stay positive. Have faith in KI.
lol if people still have faith in cube world after 4 years i can definitely still have faith for quality material

-Mr Sharp

Ensign
Dec 21, 2009
FireMorgan13 on Nov 6, 2015 wrote:
As I see it, there are about 3 types of people on the boards when approaching this subject of a new world:

1. People who wonder why we haven't had a world in 2 years, 5 months, 1 week, and 6 days and post boards like these.

2. People who have tried to be patient and enjoyed the updates and are now growing restless.

3. People like me who are take every update as a sign that our world will be approaching us and the KI hasn't given up hope.

Seriously, KI has given us updates at all. Toontown didn't do anything for at least 2 years before it went belly up. Don't look at updates with disappointment that there's no new worlds, but rather with joy that KI still pays us mind and is trying their best to keep us paying. As a person who enjoys creative writing, it's hard to get that perfect story. Sometimes you strike an epiphany, and other times no matter how many times you flip it or twist it, it just feels like it's getting nowhere. The writing team has hit a rough patch, but with this new KI MMO Live Team, perhaps we can get out of the rough, and onto the smooth.

I could list a long list of positives that a world would bring to the community, however keep in mind that KI can't just build a new world on the dime. There is a long and rigorous process that goes into this.

There needs to be a story for the new world.
There need to be side quests
There need to be enemies, companions & NPCs.
There need to be promotions that come with a new level cap.
There need to be new talents/epics for the new level cap.
There need to be tests for this new world and its contents.
There needs to be art and animation for the new world.
There need to be voice actors to record the dialogue.
There needs to be a dialogue written for main quests, side quests, and promotions.
I'm likely forgetting some things, but this is a good idea of what goes down for these worlds.

Look at the benefits of new trainers. Pirates can now get relentless, something unheard of before.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
And at the end of all that is it fair and balanced or does any of it actually make sense at the end which can be hard when making a twist, all your points are very good.

- Mr Sharp

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
A parent wizard city is on peice of marco pollo's map but I have to assume this is because we share some worlds with wizard101. Sadly there are quite a few worlds we'll never see such as zafaria. And we might not see celestia until right before Eldorado because it's way out of the way to the west with absolutely no nearby neighbors. Adding to unfortunate world placement, darkmoor is almost right next to skull island (ironic how an island paradise is right next to... well the opposite). Also as a side note the map has a world that is out if orbit so I at least want to know what it's called and how it got there. I could go on and in about what the map has on it but that would take to long to read and I would run out of space. But one last thing. The map doesn't even have all of the spiral on it and in the bottom left corner in between grizzlemeim and celestia there is a space that branches off from the spiral. With both those in mind we actually may very well go to other worlds in the spiral not charted on the map and also may go to places beyond our spiral.

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
i made a post about "which map is next" i think next one is polaris because we know more about polaris than any other unknown places in the spiral in p101

edit: realized its valencia pt-2

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
OK, everyone. We have gotten our long due peek in what is to come in Pirate101, so now, we can at long last place this post to rest, knowing the future of Pirate101 is still in good hands. We can all finally breathe a big sigh of relief.

We should also know, one of our co-community managers, Bonnie Anne, admitted that it was fun to her & One-Eyed Jack in making us wait longer to give out previews in P101's new story updates. Well, if waiting almost three whole years to see even a sneak peek at the latest story update is fun to them, it wasn't to us.

Some people can get pretty miffed after waiting too long to see what they were requesting time & time again. I'm glad to know the long wait is gonna be over soon, and hopefully, the next after that one won't take exactly three years again. Seriously. We shouldn't. People don't like their nerves & patience pushed to their limits in extensively long waiting periods.

I know KI does their best to keep us happy, but they should at least be a bit open with us about P101's updates time to time.

Well, I mean no offense to KingsIsle at all in the long run. I still had faith in them after so long, & we all should, too. We've had many Wizardly adventures frequently in W101, this we know, but now, P101's gonna have many more new adventures in a more frequent rate, too.

So, let's get back out into the Skyways, and prepare for all the next update has to offer!

Bonnie Anne, if you're around, I request that this post needs to be placed to rest. Now that we've got a glimpse of what's coming, & more on the way, there's no need to have it open to posting any longer.

Captain
Jul 16, 2014
Trimond297 on Apr 25, 2016 wrote:
OK, everyone. We have gotten our long due peek in what is to come in Pirate101, so now, we can at long last place this post to rest, knowing the future of Pirate101 is still in good hands. We can all finally breathe a big sigh of relief.

We should also know, one of our co-community managers, Bonnie Anne, admitted that it was fun to her & One-Eyed Jack in making us wait longer to give out previews in P101's new story updates. Well, if waiting almost three whole years to see even a sneak peek at the latest story update is fun to them, it wasn't to us.

Some people can get pretty miffed after waiting too long to see what they were requesting time & time again. I'm glad to know the long wait is gonna be over soon, and hopefully, the next after that one won't take exactly three years again. Seriously. We shouldn't. People don't like their nerves & patience pushed to their limits in extensively long waiting periods.

I know KI does their best to keep us happy, but they should at least be a bit open with us about P101's updates time to time.

Well, I mean no offense to KingsIsle at all in the long run. I still had faith in them after so long, & we all should, too. We've had many Wizardly adventures frequently in W101, this we know, but now, P101's gonna have many more new adventures in a more frequent rate, too.

So, let's get back out into the Skyways, and prepare for all the next update has to offer!

Bonnie Anne, if you're around, I request that this post needs to be placed to rest. Now that we've got a glimpse of what's coming, & more on the way, there's no need to have it open to posting any longer.
Trimond,

I was making what I thought was an obviously silly and sarcastic comment to lighten the mood during the livestream. I never meant for viewers to take it literally that we made anyone wait for news of an update for "fun." I felt that it the moment, based on the context of our discussion, this was clear. I apologize if it was not.

*Bonnie Anne, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Bonnie Anne on Apr 25, 2016 wrote:
Trimond,

I was making what I thought was an obviously silly and sarcastic comment to lighten the mood during the livestream. I never meant for viewers to take it literally that we made anyone wait for news of an update for "fun." I felt that it the moment, based on the context of our discussion, this was clear. I apologize if it was not.
I accept your apology with dignity and honor, & I respect you. I stood positive as long as I could, as others did in the long wait. I know you're trying to lighten the mood, and I know you didn't mean for us to take those words you said about the waiting part so literally. Some people had, and have, some trouble getting the gravity of the context.

Again, I thank you for the apology. Looking forward to Valencia II & beyond! & we're truly sorry about taking it literally.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Trimond,

I thought your comment was "fun" as it gave a hint that something momentous was going to happen. I saw that both you and Tom were thrilled to give us this sneak peek. I certainly wasn't expecting that - maybe a few hints and teasers, but this surpassed my expectations!
That broadcast is on my favorites list and I re-play it many times, well done to both of you!

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Trimond,

I feel there was nothing at all wrong about your comment. You and Tom were obviously happy, excited, and in the boyancy of good spirits, joyfully teasing your viewers, inviting them to share your excitement. Yes, I loved the gentle teasing... that sort of thing has been done to me many a time ('I have a present for you' 'For me?! What is it?' 'Oh, no, you'll have to guess...) and it always adds to the fun.

I certainly was caught up in the good spirits and excitement. And I was happy to see that you both looked not only happy, but also... comfortable. I know it is not always easy (perhaps not often easy, more like) to be a community manager, and this was a good time for you.

(Oh, and I liked your hats)