Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is it possible to have more than 10 training tomes

AuthorMessage
Captain
Dec 06, 2012
I saw a video where this guy had like, 100 of them. Yet when I try to buy them, It only allows 10. Is it possible to have that much?

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
You can only buy that many, but if you recieve more they count. I'm not sure of any hard cap, my Swashbuckler has around 30-40 at the moment.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
You just can't buy more if you have at least 10.

You can always get more through questing. That is, if you even have quests left to do. (cough) Book 15 (cough)!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
darkmoordude on Jan 10, 2016 wrote:
I saw a video where this guy had like, 100 of them. Yet when I try to buy them, It only allows 10. Is it possible to have that much?
You can't buy more than 10 tomes at a time but your companions can gather more than 10. For example say you have 10 companions on Keel Haulin' ( one finishes KH in 24 hrs, the next in 26 hrs. and so on ) after the first is finished the task is re-started, and will continue to re-start until 10 tomes are gathered BUT if you still have companions in the middle of KH gathering; their task isn't interrupted & you can still gather their tomes.
The guy with 100 tomes must have had 100 companions when the Advanced Companions update went through nearly 2 years ago. We all got ( for free ) as many tomes as we had companions. ( I still have my 33 because all my companions were at max when the update went through. )

Lieutenant
Jul 23, 2013
I have 75 right now. 10 are from being bought and the other 54 are from tribal crew packs. I usually get a slot card with 3 companion points in it. Also, I've tracked down lots of side quests where companion training points are given as rewards. So yes, it is very possible to have more than 10.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
You can only Purchase 10 / However you can have up to 100 / you can get them as quest rewards / or from the Tribal / Beast packs /

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Yes, you can build up quite a few. The issue is that you can't buy any if you're beyond 10, so you could, if you're below 10, buy until you hit 10. However, you can collect them from quests, or find them in some areas, or have your crew searching for them (but set them on that task when you're below 10).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
If you collect them as you play they can go higher than 10 but you can only buy up to 10 or if you have 10 you cannot buy to add to it. There have been a few updates where the developers have given us tomes to retrain our companions to adjust to game changes, the number got quite high then, due to such generosity.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 11, 2016 wrote:
You can't buy more than 10 tomes at a time but your companions can gather more than 10. For example say you have 10 companions on Keel Haulin' ( one finishes KH in 24 hrs, the next in 26 hrs. and so on ) after the first is finished the task is re-started, and will continue to re-start until 10 tomes are gathered BUT if you still have companions in the middle of KH gathering; their task isn't interrupted & you can still gather their tomes.
The guy with 100 tomes must have had 100 companions when the Advanced Companions update went through nearly 2 years ago. We all got ( for free ) as many tomes as we had companions. ( I still have my 33 because all my companions were at max when the update went through. )
Keel-halling does not exist for my pirates. I have no idea why.

Ensign
Mar 29, 2013
My highest pirate has, I believe 156?

That is mainly because:
1) Before I do any quests, I buy 10 tomes.
2) I don't train my companions until I'm level 65.
(well, more like didn't, because I don't have any pirates under level 65).
(I use the companions I get from story line as my companions. They level up when I'm 65 though. I don't get side companions either until I'm 65).
(My reasoning behind this is that it takes less tomes to train them the higher difference between your level and the companions is. If I'm 65 and Bonnie is at 2, she'll most likely go up to about 16 or the like with one tome.)
3) Found all the extra tomes (presidio, castillo sapo, etc.)
4) You can get them from tribal packs, but I don't use crowns, so I don't have any from them.

But that is how I have so many!

Petty Officer
Sep 02, 2015
Yeah, the professors in the taverns only allow you to buy up to ten, but through leveling and questing you can get a lot more.

Petty Officer
Sep 02, 2015
darkmoordude on Jan 11, 2016 wrote:
Keel-halling does not exist for my pirates. I have no idea why.
Are your companions below your level? If they are, they can only do brawlin', which grants that companion xp. If the companion is your lvl or above, keel-haulin should appear. If not, you can contact KI.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
HelenaQ on Jan 11, 2016 wrote:

That is mainly because:
(I use the companions I get from story line as my companions. They level up when I'm 65 though. I don't get side companions either until I'm 65).
(My reasoning behind this is that it takes less tomes to train them the higher difference between your level and the companions is. If I'm 65 and Bonnie is at 2, she'll most likely go up to about 16 or the like with one tome.)
4) You can get them from tribal packs, but I don't use crowns, so I don't have any from them.

I'm gonna try this from now on for my buccaneer.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
HelenaQ on Jan 11, 2016 wrote:

That is mainly because:

thats some serious punishment/grinding when questing then.. kudos to you! do you solo much then?
stormy jen silver

Ensign
Mar 29, 2013
stormyjensilverdra... on Jan 15, 2016 wrote:
thats some serious punishment/grinding when questing then.. kudos to you! do you solo much then?
stormy jen silver
No, I don't solo.

I have two pirates accounts, and a friend who also has two pirates accounts.

Usually, we have one or two 65 helping the small pirate until they're in Marleybone and Aquila, and then we use all four.

Can't say it's punishment, haha. (Plus all of mine are 65 now, so it's a moot point).

:) Happy Questing!

darkmoordude,

Good Luck with that! Since I haven't solo'd, I hope you're not also? Buccaneers don't get that many companions from quest line, so it might be a tad hard to do it how I've laid it out. But good luck on your endeavor.