Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Which weapon should I be using as a Privateer?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
Hello Pirate101 community! I am new around these parts, and I am loving the game so far! I am very glad it is being continued, but I am struggling to find out what I am supposed to be using as a Privateer. Right now I am level 15, but most of the Sword and Shield weapons give Strength and not Will, which is what I should be using. Should I be using a different style of weapon such as a staff that uses Will? Thank you for helping me out with this. :)

Dead-Eye Jonathan Level 15

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Zlyxer on May 18, 2016 wrote:
Hello Pirate101 community! I am new around these parts, and I am loving the game so far! I am very glad it is being continued, but I am struggling to find out what I am supposed to be using as a Privateer. Right now I am level 15, but most of the Sword and Shield weapons give Strength and not Will, which is what I should be using. Should I be using a different style of weapon such as a staff that uses Will? Thank you for helping me out with this. :)

Dead-Eye Jonathan Level 15
Privateer is a very versatile class and could use any weapon or combination of weapons; I have seen many Privys use a staff and as you say, it does damage off of Will. But to be able to use your Repel Boarders, don't you need to have a melee weapon equipped?
A good choice, then, might be a staffy with melee combo.

Ensign
Aug 08, 2010
anecorbie on May 19, 2016 wrote:
Privateer is a very versatile class and could use any weapon or combination of weapons; I have seen many Privys use a staff and as you say, it does damage off of Will. But to be able to use your Repel Boarders, don't you need to have a melee weapon equipped?
I use a staffy/slashy combo for my privateer, which maxes out damage from class attribute and talents and still allows for melee epics. Do what you want though, I'm sure that there are other ways to play, just giving my two doubloons worth.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
anecorbie on May 19, 2016 wrote:
Repel boarder is a high level epic, he's only level 15... beside its more trouble than its worth (cancels hide)

I had no issue using staffy until max level, its actually useful to heal from farther away.

Ensign
Jul 06, 2013
I prefer sword and gun kits - they are generally powerful and allow you to use a wide range of attacks acquired through practice points or equipment. I love being able to throw Storm Shot in one round, then rush in for Backstab or Brutal Assault the next.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
I would reccomend these options

1. A staff, it uses your highest stat will and opens up different opportunities

2.A strength based melee weapon, you can use your melee epics and opens up more aggressive play styles

3. What I would highly reccomend and would use is a will based melee weapon, finding one of these would be gold

Best of luck throughout your questing

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Silver Angel on May 19, 2016 wrote:
Repel boarder is a high level epic, he's only level 15... beside its more trouble than its worth (cancels hide)

I had no issue using staffy until max level, its actually useful to heal from farther away.
He will eventually get this talent, though, and about that hide - it depends if he thinks its useful for him to use offensively ( attacking ) or defensively ( using the time to buff or shield self or companion ).