Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Stylist & Retcon Features

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 21, 2012
We now have Flag Dying (Ship Emblem Alteration) coming up, and it is amazing. For the very reasonable price of 100 crowns, you can completely change your flag. It has companion preview as well so you can take a look.

In the future, I'd like to see some other options to change up your pirate.

Stylist (Or some other appropriate name)
Called many other things in different MMOs, this amounts to changing how your character looks. Booting up a screen like the one we use in the creation process to alter both categories: default outfit and physical features.

it would be nice if this was affordable, as updating hairstyles on a whim is fun, but even if it was pricey I'd still use it.

Retconning (Perhaps it could be flavored as a storyteller)
Refunding, respeccing, or the like is very common in a lot of MMOs. It is essentially a means to let a player change a character's features after making a bad decision or changing their mind.

Retconning (retroactive continuity) basically means the retelling of the same story with new elements or different events.

It's true we can already reset our pirate's skills and our companions' skills, so in truth we already mostly have a respec. This concerns the other character creation aspects.

Name Change
Given the way characters are named, I'm not sure if this is technically easily possible, but a name change would be a useful feature. It's pretty common in a lot of games. I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Wizard101 was unable to do it for some reason, but I'm not sure if the same limitation is built into Pirate101.

Talent Change
This choice was originally presented only as a mechanical choice to pick a Talent - however, now A) it shows up on our character sheet and B) we have badges for it.

You can tell it was originally mechanical only because of the Quick Pick menu (Pick a talent: Born Sneak) and the fact the ability is in parenthesis Skull Island (Born Sneak). This is identical to picking a class. I picked based on mechanics then since it seemed Boochbeard's flavor was just flavor.

Picking parent's death was always framed as a story choice, so I picked with that mindset in that it might come into play later - also in the Quick Pick menu, it simply says method of demise (How did your parents die? Blasted by the Armada!), not Armada (Gaspard De Vole).

In short, I feel something presented purely as picking a passive talent has instead become more, and knowing what I know now, I would have picked a talent I cared for less to get the story flavor I wanted.

Parent's Demise Companion Change, Class Change
I think of all the retconning features, given the way the game is setup (companion specific quests, class specific quests, companions), these are the most difficult and perhaps technically impossible to change. I wouldn't expect either of these to ever happen.

I included them for completion's sake, however.

-

Just some thoughts. The new updates are looking great!

Petty Officer
Aug 11, 2013
Jandas on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
We now have Flag Dying (Ship Emblem Alteration) coming up, and it is amazing. For the very reasonable price of 100 crowns, you can completely change your flag. It has companion preview as well so you can take a look.

In the future, I'd like to see some other options to change up your pirate.

Stylist (Or some other appropriate name)
Called many other things in different MMOs, this amounts to changing how your character looks. Booting up a screen like the one we use in the creation process to alter both categories: default outfit and physical features.

it would be nice if this was affordable, as updating hairstyles on a whim is fun, but even if it was pricey I'd still use it.

Retconning (Perhaps it could be flavored as a storyteller)
Refunding, respeccing, or the like is very common in a lot of MMOs. It is essentially a means to let a player change a character's features after making a bad decision or changing their mind.

Retconning (retroactive continuity) basically means the retelling of the same story with new elements or different events.

It's true we can already reset our pirate's skills and our companions' skills, so in truth we already mostly have a respec. This concerns the other character creation aspects.

Name Change
Given the way characters are named, I'm not sure if this is technically easily possible, but a name change would be a useful feature. It's pretty common in a lot of games. I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Wizard101 was unable to do it for some reason, but I'm not sure if the same limitation is built into Pirate101.

Talent Change
This choice was originally presented only as a mechanical choice to pick a Talent - however, now A) it shows up on our character sheet and B) we have badges for it.

You can tell it was originally mechanical only because of the Quick Pick menu (Pick a talent: Born Sneak) and the fact the ability is in parenthesis Skull Island (Born Sneak). This is identical to picking a class. I picked based on mechanics then since it seemed Boochbeard's flavor was just flavor.

Picking parent's death was always framed as a story choice, so I picked with that mindset in that it might come into play later - also in the Quick Pick menu, it simply says method of demise (How did your parents die? Blasted by the Armada!), not Armada (Gaspard De Vole).

In short, I feel something presented purely as picking a passive talent has instead become more, and knowing what I know now, I would have picked a talent I cared for less to get the story flavor I wanted.

Parent's Demise Companion Change, Class Change
I think of all the retconning features, given the way the game is setup (companion specific quests, class specific quests, companions), these are the most difficult and perhaps technically impossible to change. I wouldn't expect either of these to ever happen.

I included them for completion's sake, however.

-

Just some thoughts. The new updates are looking great!
First of all, this is a really well thought out and organized post. I really like the idea of a stylist. Updating my pirate's look every once in a while would be refreshing and fun. As for the other additions you propose, I don't know how easy they would be to implement. Personally, I do not have need of those features. When you first play the game, as you note, you don't know how your choices will affect the game. I like this. It provides the opportunity to branch out from your favorites; you don't pick the companion based on your like of the name or your talent based on what you want to be. It forces you to adjust and maybe become something greater than you imagined. That's just me. I can see why you would want those features, but again, how easy are they add? I think that if they ever become part of the game, they will be fairly pricey. They're great ideas, nonetheless.

~Gibbsie

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Why not just create a new pirate ( we can make up to six ). I've played MMOs that allowed only three.