Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Expanding the Scrip Options

AuthorMessage
Bosun
May 06, 2009
Ahoy, all! If it's on thing that's spread around the Shipyards and Skyways faster than humorous gossip be the tales o' the Test Realm. And what finer words have reached my ears are those of the elusive Scrip.

I've read a lot of commentary on Scrip as well as Ratbeard's words on Scrip and how the system was intended. It's meant to be a slow collecting venture that can grant any fairing Pirate a freshly smuggled item or two (or three if yer lucky) from Squid Viscous in the Black Market.

The main issue that's gone around is the extremely low drop rate of scrip and it's narrow ways of obtainability. So I'd like to suggest a few ways Scrip should be improved and expanded upon in later tides.

1. Increase the range of drops from Skull Island to Aquila. Currently, drops are best found away from Skull Island, but even in those far-off realms, they're still hard to find. When I read the updates, I always thought that you could still find scrip in Skull Island, just at a much, much smaller rate and amount. More drops of Scrip could be found in higher worlds, however, drops are still pretty low (and I am aware there was an update to the drops).
Suggestion: On 10 point scale, Scrip drops should be found lowest in Sinking a Ship or Broadside combat (Skull Island Ex. 1-4 Scrip), midrange in defeating a Skyway Boss (Skull Island Ex. 5-7 Scrip), and highest in destroying a Turret (Skull Island Ex. 8-10 Scrip). You can a little more Scrip during any of these if you find yourself a party. Scrip drops for worlds, story-ordered, should look something like this:

SI: 1-10
MQ: 10-20
DS & VA: 20-30
CR: 30-40
MS: 40-50
MB: 50-60
AQ: 60-70

2. Decrease the amount some items cost in the Black Market. I, personally, like the concept of cool items at Skyway robbery prices, but some items could come down a bit such as the Housing items, Deluxe Ship Cabin, and Gear&Banners.

3. Increase the Scrip rewarded in the Smuggler's Arena Gauntlet. I would suggest a lvl65 Pirate should get close to 200-300 Scrip if they can bash all 10 boss heads. If the fall among the stars, the lowest a lvl65 should get for at least striking one boss out should be 50 scrip.

4. In the future, add a Companion Task called "Smugglin' " that rewards Pirates with Scrip. Pretty self-explanatory 'ear.

5. In the future, add Scrip as possible Quest rewards. Primarily, in quest lines the require Broadside Combat or shady dealings.

6. Add Scrip as a reward in Ranked PvP when it comes. The concept of Scrip and the Black Market give themselves a slight nudge in similarity

7. Add Scrip as a possible drop from the Tower of Moo Manchu. If anyone's got to have a bounty of shady business currency, it's got to be Moo Manchu himself.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Cunning Finnigan S... on Nov 23, 2014 wrote:
Ahoy, all! If it's on thing that's spread around the Shipyards and Skyways faster than humorous gossip be the tales o' the Test Realm. And what finer words have reached my ears are those of the elusive Scrip.

I've read a lot of commentary on Scrip as well as Ratbeard's words on Scrip and how the system was intended. It's meant to be a slow collecting venture that can grant any fairing Pirate a freshly smuggled item or two (or three if yer lucky) from Squid Viscous in the Black Market.

The main issue that's gone around is the extremely low drop rate of scrip and it's narrow ways of obtainability. So I'd like to suggest a few ways Scrip should be improved and expanded upon in later tides.

1. Increase the range of drops from Skull Island to Aquila. Currently, drops are best found away from Skull Island, but even in those far-off realms, they're still hard to find. When I read the updates, I always thought that you could still find scrip in Skull Island, just at a much, much smaller rate and amount. More drops of Scrip could be found in higher worlds, however, drops are still pretty low (and I am aware there was an update to the drops).
Suggestion: On 10 point scale, Scrip drops should be found lowest in Sinking a Ship or Broadside combat (Skull Island Ex. 1-4 Scrip), midrange in defeating a Skyway Boss (Skull Island Ex. 5-7 Scrip), and highest in destroying a Turret (Skull Island Ex. 8-10 Scrip). You can a little more Scrip during any of these if you find yourself a party. Scrip drops for worlds, story-ordered, should look something like this:

2. Decrease the amount some items cost in the Black Market. I, personally, like the concept of cool items at Skyway robbery prices, but some items could come down a bit such as the Housing items, Deluxe Ship Cabin, and Gear&Banners.

3. Increase the Scrip rewarded in the Smuggler's Arena Gauntlet. I would suggest a lvl65 Pirate should get close to 200-300 Scrip if they can bash all 10 boss heads. If the fall among the stars, the lowest a lvl65 should get for at least striking one boss out should be 50 scrip.

4. In the future, add a Companion Task called "Smugglin' " that rewards Pirates with Scrip. Pretty self-explanatory 'ear.

5. In the future, add Scrip as possible Quest rewards. Primarily, in quest lines the require Broadside Combat or shady dealings.

6. Add Scrip as a reward in Ranked PvP when it comes. The concept of Scrip and the Black Market give themselves a slight nudge in similarity

7. Add Scrip as a possible drop from the Tower of Moo Manchu. If anyone's got to have a bounty of shady business currency, it's got to be Moo Manchu himself.
I love all your suggestions except # 6 " Add Scrip as a reward in Ranked PvP when it comes ". When I saw this new currency my greatest fear was that it was introduced for ranked pvp, yet now it seems that its for getting pirates together; making it a reward for pvp would just cause bad feelings.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Dec 2, 2014 wrote:
I love all your suggestions except # 6 " Add Scrip as a reward in Ranked PvP when it comes ". When I saw this new currency my greatest fear was that it was introduced for ranked pvp, yet now it seems that its for getting pirates together; making it a reward for pvp would just cause bad feelings.
If it IS awarded as "payment" for Ranked PvP, at least we will have alternative ways to collect. I've never really PvP'd or had Arena Tickets over on Wizard101, so anything that is exclusive to Tickets is out of my reach there. Better to introduce it this way -- much better.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on Nov 23, 2014 wrote:

1. Pretty good idea! Although there are no ships in DragonSpyre yet

2. I think that decreasing the cost will also decrease the value, I think it should stay the same price, considering there are few items available right now.

3. Considering you can only do the dungeons once every 18 hours, I don't see why not.

4. Considering Scrip is already difficult to obtain, people would probably barely battle ships or do the Smuggler's Arena as they can just send all their companions to obtain Scrip, I mean companions doing lots of things is good and all but people get to the gold cap and nautical level cap pretty easy thanks to Companions, so I don't know, I just feel like less people would be eager to work with other pirates is their companions could earn Scrip for them.

5. I kind of feel like Scrip would be more of a side quest reward if anything, since you could possibly already obtain Scrip from ships when doing Nautical quests.

6. I don't really think if that would work, I mean we are playing a professional match and are given a currency used for a Black Market... yeah... anyway, like anercobie said, Scrip is meant to be a team effort sort of thing, Ranked PVP can be team effort but primarily it's all a competition and not everyone gets happy in the end of it or get a fair amount.

7. I kind of feel like bosses should drop Scrip but also I feel like they shouldn't, especially in dungeons like the Tower of Moo Manchu, considering all the epic drops we get for each and every class.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Noble Tyler Strong on Dec 4, 2014 wrote:

2. I think that decreasing the cost will also decrease the value, I think it should stay the same price, considering there are few items available right now.

3. Considering you can only do the dungeons once every 18 hours, I don't see why not.

4. Considering Scrip is already difficult to obtain, people would probably barely battle ships or do the Smuggler's Arena as they can just send all their companions to obtain Scrip, I mean companions doing lots of things is good and all but people get to the gold cap and nautical level cap pretty easy thanks to Companions, so I don't know, I just feel like less people would be eager to work with other pirates is their companions could earn Scrip for them.

5. I kind of feel like Scrip would be more of a side quest reward if anything, since you could possibly already obtain Scrip from ships when doing Nautical quests.

6. I don't really think if that would work, I mean we are playing a professional match and are given a currency used for a Black Market... yeah... anyway, like anercobie said, Scrip is meant to be a team effort sort of thing, Ranked PVP can be team effort but primarily it's all a competition and not everyone gets happy in the end of it or get a fair amount.

7. I kind of feel like bosses should drop Scrip but also I feel like they shouldn't, especially in dungeons like the Tower of Moo Manchu, considering all the epic drops we get for each and every class.
Just want to point out to you that the time has been reduced for use of the Smuggler's Arena, Its now every two hours.
If a companion is used to bring back scrip, perhaps the amount should be low compared to what a pirate can earn with the Arena or Broadside Combat.
Now, bosses dropping scrip? Perhaps only one boss per world could do that and only if a team of pirates defeat him ( like getting Group Plunder Chests ).
The prices in the BM are a bit steep, I'm going to have to collect over 15,000 scrip for a complete Master Smuggler costume ( and it doesn't even have stats! ).

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Noble Tyler Strong on Dec 4, 2014 wrote:

1-5,7 I agree with

but 6, oh 6, we're pirates, its a battle between 2 pirates, neither of which aren't technically legal, making a reward for beating another pirate a currency for an illegal market makes sense, its not just a team effort, we should also be rewarded for personal skill, someone could just ride a powerful player to riches, which is probably what some people will do, get on their low pirate and port to a high player in ms or aq and "help" destroy the ship and get a reward for it, and yea some people arent gonna be happy, its impossible to make everyone happy, if you don't like it don't do it, ranked pvp is OPTIONAL