Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Big Choppy Swashbucklers

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
I have a practice point, but I don't know what to do with it. I'm thinking of getting big choppy weapons for if I ever get Axe of the Minotaur Lords or Nefarious Axe(idk what it's called). Idk how much I'd use it though and I have high doubts of it's practicality since those axes get a boost of strength while I, as a Swash, have a higher agility. Still, as some pros, having Follow Through or Flames of Corruption could be great for the next story arc. Tell me what you guys think. Also, I have Slashy Weapons 2 since those are perquisites to Elusive 2.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Apr 16, 2015 wrote:
I have a practice point, but I don't know what to do with it. I'm thinking of getting big choppy weapons for if I ever get Axe of the Minotaur Lords or Nefarious Axe(idk what it's called). Idk how much I'd use it though and I have high doubts of it's practicality since those axes get a boost of strength while I, as a Swash, have a higher agility. Still, as some pros, having Follow Through or Flames of Corruption could be great for the next story arc. Tell me what you guys think. Also, I have Slashy Weapons 2 since those are perquisites to Elusive 2.

I have seen many SBs using big choppy weapons; I, myself, used one for a time ( Friar Sand's axe ) until I reset my points choosing slashy over choppy. The Dragon Axe of Doom ( from the nefarious five ) is a smashy, slashy weapon.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
anecorbie on Apr 16, 2015 wrote:
I have seen many SBs using big choppy weapons; I, myself, used one for a time ( Friar Sand's axe ) until I reset my points choosing slashy over choppy. The Dragon Axe of Doom ( from the nefarious five ) is a smashy, slashy weapon.
So would you say it's worth the practice point?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
So would you say it's worth the practice point?
If I say "yes" and then you use it, but are disappointed with the results, will you blame me? This can only be decided by you. Remember the weapon gets it's damage from the Strength stat, how is your strength compared to your agility. If your agility is higher, then I would stick with agility based weapons.
These are the stabby and shooty variety.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
I would say a resounding yes.

It is going to be different for each player, based off their play style, so let me give you some context why I gave that answer.

I consider myself a top end player. In every game I've played, I would be considered hard core. In Ultima Online I had all my characters 7x GM (before they came out with skills higher than 100). In Everquest, I was the #2 enchanter on my shard. For the short time I played World of Warcraft I was the top Paladin on my server.

I have several top end weapons. The Minotaur's Axe, Dragon Axe of Doom, Nefarious Knives, and the Staff of Power. Currently, I use the Minotaur's Axe currently- because of Follow Through.

I want to say, and I cannot state this strongly enough- I hate, hate, HATE having flanking on the Nefarious Knives. In my opinion, it is beyond useless and is actually detrimental to a swashbuckler. The number of times Walk in Shadows/Black Fog has been ruined by this ability I cannot count. I wish there was a way to just remove the ability.

Currently I switch between the Minotaur's Axe and the Dragon Axe of Doom- relying on the Minotaur's Axe about 90% of the time.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
anecorbie on Apr 17, 2015 wrote:
If I say "yes" and then you use it, but are disappointed with the results, will you blame me? This can only be decided by you. Remember the weapon gets it's damage from the Strength stat, how is your strength compared to your agility. If your agility is higher, then I would stick with agility based weapons.
These are the stabby and shooty variety.
No I wouldn't blame you. I'm just generally interested in your opinion. I've pretty much decided I'm gonna wait for the next story arc update in case I get access to more Privateer abilities. If not, I'll keep Big Choppy Weapons into consideration.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Jack Harkness on Apr 17, 2015 wrote:

It is going to be different for each player, based off their play style, so let me give you some context why I gave that answer.

I consider myself a top end player. In every game I've played, I would be considered hard core. In Ultima Online I had all my characters 7x GM (before they came out with skills higher than 100). In Everquest, I was the #2 enchanter on my shard. For the short time I played World of Warcraft I was the top Paladin on my server.

I have several top end weapons. The Minotaur's Axe, Dragon Axe of Doom, Nefarious Knives, and the Staff of Power. Currently, I use the Minotaur's Axe currently- because of Follow Through.

I want to say, and I cannot state this strongly enough- I hate, hate, HATE having flanking on the Nefarious Knives. In my opinion, it is beyond useless and is actually detrimental to a swashbuckler. The number of times Walk in Shadows/Black Fog has been ruined by this ability I cannot count. I wish there was a way to just remove the ability.

Currently I switch between the Minotaur's Axe and the Dragon Axe of Doom- relying on the Minotaur's Axe about 90% of the time.
I guessed that flanking was actually put on the knives as a nerf, and not as a benefit. However, none of the other classes were nerfed, so idk why they decided flanking was a good idea. Personally, I think flanking should do less damage, but you don't come out of hide. The description says it's a sneak attack. I honestly prefer to use blades of shade since I only lose 4 weapon power to drop the flanking. I do think vicious charge looks cool with nefarious knives.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Jack Harkness on Apr 17, 2015 wrote:

Did I mention my father is Zeus......

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
The important thing to pay attention to in selecting your weapon is what it gets it's plusses from. For Swashbuckers, the best choice are ones that use agility, because you already have a bonus from that, naturally.

Now, you may decide to boost your strength and used the smashy or choppy weapons instead, but that will tend to make them less likely to hit and do decent damage. Only slightly, yes, but some will notice.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
You'd probably want to get spooky from witchdoctor trainer to increase your poisons and bleed effects or go with buccaneer armor talents.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

I see lots of Bucklers going big choppy and with great results. If you do go this way, try to get some gear that boosts your Buckler's strength...it's out there. I myself am a purist and use stabby/slashy weapons for my Buckler and the Flanking from the Nefarious blades doesn't bother me in PVE or PVP. I know it's there and plan accordingly. There is a drop off in damage for those Bucklers who do use an axe though and I like being a damage dealer so I will stick to the blades, even though I have seen Bucklers be very successful in PVP with the Dragon Axe.

Petty Officer
Mar 09, 2013
Being a swashy myself, I trained the Big Choppy Weapons power around Marleybone, and boy was it worth it! I got plenty of amazing swords, axes, and clubs, which did far more damage than I ever imagined and helped me get through the final worlds. Using all your practice points, you can train every buccaneer and privateer power there is to train by level 65.

Clever Sam Jones

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Quite Jacques on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
You'd probably want to get spooky from witchdoctor trainer to increase your poisons and bleed effects or go with buccaneer armor talents.
Yeah that's something I've done already. It's definitely worth it.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
Spiral Cowboy on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:
I see lots of Bucklers going big choppy and with great results. If you do go this way, try to get some gear that boosts your Buckler's strength...it's out there. I myself am a purist and use stabby/slashy weapons for my Buckler and the Flanking from the Nefarious blades doesn't bother me in PVE or PVP. I know it's there and plan accordingly. There is a drop off in damage for those Bucklers who do use an axe though and I like being a damage dealer so I will stick to the blades, even though I have seen Bucklers be very successful in PVP with the Dragon Axe.
With Follow Through there really isn't a damage drop off.