Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What do you like most about Pirate101?

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
A harder question than it first appears - selecting your favorite aspect of a game that you like for a wide variety of reasons.

Many of the things I like about Pirate101 are shared with its older sibling, Wizard101: well-developed worlds, nicely-designed storylines, impressive graphics, well-balanced character classes, and the (sometimes subtle, sometimes not) literary, historical, and cultural jokes embedded in the game (for example, "What we have here is a failure to eradicate" for "What we have here is a failure to communicate" from Cool Hand Luke). Since both games share these strengths, but I have a strong preference for Pirate, I don't think any of these things can be my favorite.

So I will go with the reason that I prefer Pirate to Wizard: the combat system. The tactical challenges of maneuvering and attacking with your pirate and accompanying companions are much more interesting than standing in a circle and hurling spells back and forth.

-Indigo

P.S. Congratulations on Little Valkoor's accomplishments! I hope he is reading an abridged version of Moby Dick... 'cuase the original has some very, very, very long boring sections on the whaling industry.

Ensign
Jan 15, 2013
Ahoy, everyone.
Hmm Valkor, this is a hard question...
I think my 3 favorite things, (can I have 3? Please?), in this game are:

1: Companions. I just love them. They're so funny and make up a HUGE part of this game.

2: Story. The story is what makes this game an enjoyable game. If it were just fight, fight, battle, and more fight, I don't know if I would like it as much.

3: Customization. All of my pirates are so different. That's what makes this game so replayable.

Goodbye, maties!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Indigo Ring on May 20, 2015 wrote:
A harder question than it first appears - selecting your favorite aspect of a game that you like for a wide variety of reasons.

Many of the things I like about Pirate101 are shared with its older sibling, Wizard101: well-developed worlds, nicely-designed storylines, impressive graphics, well-balanced character classes, and the (sometimes subtle, sometimes not) literary, historical, and cultural jokes embedded in the game (for example, "What we have here is a failure to eradicate" for "What we have here is a failure to communicate" from Cool Hand Luke). Since both games share these strengths, but I have a strong preference for Pirate, I don't think any of these things can be my favorite.

So I will go with the reason that I prefer Pirate to Wizard: the combat system. The tactical challenges of maneuvering and attacking with your pirate and accompanying companions are much more interesting than standing in a circle and hurling spells back and forth.

-Indigo

P.S. Congratulations on Little Valkoor's accomplishments! I hope he is reading an abridged version of Moby Dick... 'cuase the original has some very, very, very long boring sections on the whaling industry.
You're right about that Indigo-- not the easiest question to narrow down and just give 1 answer to. That's why "most" in this case really means 'as many as possible'...kind of, sort of. I too have many reasons why I enjoy Pirate101-- and I do intend to use them!

But I absolutely concur with you on your reasons for enjoying this game so much. It seems that around every corner and in every Spiral crack and crevice, there's a bit of literary, cultural, historical and social goodness to be had by pirates of all ages and interest levels. You'd be hard pressed to go more than a couple lines of dialogue without finding a 'hidden gem' of a reference to any or all of the above. You can certainly tell that the development team is very well-read, seasoned in a wide variety of areas and has quite a fantastic sense of humor.

I haven't really played Wizard101 much, but I have seen my son play a time or two-- but only after I already had a taste of the 'Pirate's Life'. Wiz combat didn't take to me in the same fashion that Pirate combat did right from the get go. The system (combat and others as well) in Pirate is thought provokingly simple, yet simply complex at the same time. It keeps you on your toes and you have many variables to keep track of and account for. It's kind of like chess 'off the leash'...at least to me. The funny thing is, is that this game is disguised as a game for younger players- yet it has more facets and interactions than most 'teen and adult' games out there....yet still, it's easy enough to grasp and enjoy thoroughly. I play some games that have won all kinds of awards (as P101 has) and yet they are nowhere as in depth and interactive as P101-- pretty impressive in all categories.

Thanks for sharing Indigo and yes it was the more 'stay-awake-friendly' version of Moby Dick...although he has no qualms with taking on and enjoying the boring. As long as it is 'new-to-him' he immerses himself into whatever he reads/observes.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
ChrissyFlower on May 20, 2015 wrote:
Ahoy, everyone.
Hmm Valkor, this is a hard question...
I think my 3 favorite things, (can I have 3? Please?), in this game are:

1: Companions. I just love them. They're so funny and make up a HUGE part of this game.

2: Story. The story is what makes this game an enjoyable game. If it were just fight, fight, battle, and more fight, I don't know if I would like it as much.

3: Customization. All of my pirates are so different. That's what makes this game so replayable.

Goodbye, maties!
Why hello there ChrissyFlower and thank you for sharing what you like most about Pirate101. And of course you can have 3...or 4...or more! It certainly is quite hard to choose. I myself am going to be sharing a few more at some point in time.

Your choices are excellent favorites indeed.

What a crew of characters we have to fight with us, entertain us and keep things poppin'. What's great about the companions is that they 'aren't just there for their good looks'. We have to train them, use them effectively, manage them in our rosters, interact with them, heal them, take control of them, deploy them on tasks, give them medicine when feeling ill, massage their feet, distribute training points to them and make them the valuable assets within our team, that they surely become (and we get pages of them!). And getting to take part in that, all while they make us laugh out loud, groan, face palm and scratch our heads is all that more enjoyable. In many ways...they make the story.

And as far as the story I certainly agree. Having that mix of combat, questing, amusement, training, story telling and pop culture/history/literary tie-ins, surely add up to a fantastic and entertaining game play. Without the story...tis would be a borey!

Thank you so much for sharing with us and happy sailin' and piratin' to you.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
So, here is my next offering of what I like most about Pirate101.......

......the relaxed game play!

It's quite enjoyable and refreshing to be able to play an entertaining and exciting game that doesn't turn you into a frenzied zombie (sorry Dead Mike). Many games do not have any downtime and you are left just mashing buttons, eyes glued, red and burning, nearly forgetting to breath and tuning out everyone and everything around you.

I absolutely love the fact that I can have a blast, join in an exhilarating battle, make some strategic moves and then go 'bowling for toddlers'. It is awesome being able to take those few seconds-to-minutes breaks to chase the kids around the house-- who are actually chasing the dog around, who is actually chasing the food in my hand around, while I'm chasing the kids around....whew, just got dizzy! Often, games create a lot of stress on the eyes, body and noives as we just play away, with no breaks, seemingly ignoring everything our parents or siblings or kids do and say (ok, sometimes that is done by intentions).

But it is a breath of fresh air to be able to engage in a good & fun story with plenty of action, and still be able to enjoy the world around us. I can make a move in battle, get up to pop some gourmet eats into the microwave, ease on back and make my next move, go stir my gourmet meal, flip it over and heat it an extra minute and a half, make another strategic move, burn my tongue & taste buds on the fine cuisine (that did give fair warning to wait 2 minutes before eating) and then finish up my battle.

To be able to play and enjoy an amazing game without it causing stress, like many games do, just makes it so much more enjoyable. I am able to play casually and still have fun and interact with my kids, help with homework, throw a toy for the dog, paint a Rembrant-esque work of art, 'play' drums on whatever surrounds me and just relax after a long day of work.

And that is a great and very welcomed feeling!

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
1. Ship battle
2. PVP is actually fair, with no overpowered gear tipping the scales on one side. This happens in a lot of games, not just Wizard101
3. The story line is incredible and polished to fit the world's back stories, more than most games. (Not just wizard101, but that is one of Wizard's cons)
4. It is actually possible to solo. (A lot of games require that you, "Team up," with other players, not just Wizard101)
5. Amazing and overly detailed houses. (Hey, I like that they are worked on hard and not just the storylines. It is also an issue that some player's homes in other games are A) too small, or B) totally not created from scratch.
6. Ability to control our, "crew," which is an issue when battling with another player.
7. Pirates. I mean, who doesn't like pirates?
8. Companions replacing narrators in other games
9. It is not as heavily fantastic as a lot of other MMO's

That's all I got. If I think of more, I'll edit this.

Ensign
Nov 27, 2011
The companion system.
I like collecting companions; and the variety of companions. The one thing that would make companions better, is if the side quest companions talk in the storyline if you have them at certain points. I think that would be cool.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Aaron FireEyes on May 29, 2015 wrote:
1. Ship battle
2. PVP is actually fair, with no overpowered gear tipping the scales on one side. This happens in a lot of games, not just Wizard101
3. The story line is incredible and polished to fit the world's back stories, more than most games. (Not just wizard101, but that is one of Wizard's cons)
4. It is actually possible to solo. (A lot of games require that you, "Team up," with other players, not just Wizard101)
5. Amazing and overly detailed houses. (Hey, I like that they are worked on hard and not just the storylines. It is also an issue that some player's homes in other games are A) too small, or B) totally not created from scratch.
6. Ability to control our, "crew," which is an issue when battling with another player.
7. Pirates. I mean, who doesn't like pirates?
8. Companions replacing narrators in other games
9. It is not as heavily fantastic as a lot of other MMO's

That's all I got. If I think of more, I'll edit this.
Well, if that's all you got Aaron FireEyes...I'd say that is a mighty fine start & finish.

That's a great list & I'd have to say that I enjoy all of those features of Pirate101, as well. Although I haven't really experienced PvP in W101 & have only dabbled a little bit in P101. But I do know that from what I have seen, I much prefer the PVP combat system of Pirate101 over Wiz.

Ship battles are indeed quite a blast & living the life of and as a pirate is quite a way to enjoy a game. I really enjoy the housing features & as you noted there is so much depth to the housing system, the decor & interactions that we have within our homes. It's quite a fun 'side feature' that I really enjoy.

I couldn't agree more with #s 3 & 4 & especially when comparing to other current, award winning games. I play a couple other MMOs that have been highly touted & are presently rather popular games. For the most part, despite all the awards these games have racked up, they lack an engaging & captivating story. One of them, I honestly couldn't even tell you what the real story is-- it kind of got lost along the way. Pirate101's story blows most of these other games' story lines right out of the water & actually leaves you guessing & searching for answers, begging for more...& it has a beautiful flow to it! How'd they do that!?!

As far as #4, same goes for these 'other' games. MMOs are meant to be enjoyed with other gamers, but that doesn't necessarily mean actually forcing players to team up or multi-match in order to get the 'endgame gear'. Even though there are very challenging dungeons/instances in P101, those instances (including the Tower/Arena) are able to be conquered solo or as a tandem team. You are given the option to solo, join up with 1, 2 or 3 more pirates & change up your game play by doing so. With some of these other games, there simply is no choice in regards to certain instances. Just one more thing that Pirate101 hit out of the park!

Thank you for sharing!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
OldGoldie on May 30, 2015 wrote:
The companion system.
I like collecting companions; and the variety of companions. The one thing that would make companions better, is if the side quest companions talk in the storyline if you have them at certain points. I think that would be cool.
Hi there OldGoldie and welcome to the thread and to the message boards. It's great to have you join us.

I too so enjoy having so many companions join our crew, as we adventure throughout the Spiral, seeking to thwart the plans of Kane and the Armada (as well as our many other adversaries). And not only do we get to have so many hilarious, cool and quite valuable crew members join up with us, we get to actually lead them in battle, assign them tasks to help our Captains out and train them up as they (and our pirates) grow. To me, the companion system doesn't feel like a system at all. Rather, it feels like an interaction with some of our closest buddies and a sharing of a grand adventure. Plus they bring us some pets...how cool is that!?! It's a very well done and completely engaging system that just adds tremendously to the story and the fun. Other games have systems in place and they feel just like that, a system. There's no additional fun factor within the system or much interaction at all. The 'things' interacted with don't talk or groan or whine or boast when you click on them...like our crew members most certainly do! The Pirate101 companion system is as deep in fun, humor and enjoyable interactions, as it is deep in usefulness and strategy.

I really enjoy the variety of companions too and their dialogue, and the interactions that they have throughout the story are superbly done. So much humor, so much depth, so much good stuff from our crew and also from the talented people who brought them to us. I think we will get more of that along the way and will be enjoying our faithful companions (and the system) for quite some time.

Again, welcome to the message boards and thank you for sharing what you like most about Pirate101!

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 1, 2015 wrote:
Well, if that's all you got Aaron FireEyes...I'd say that is a mighty fine start & finish.

That's a great list & I'd have to say that I enjoy all of those features of Pirate101, as well. Although I haven't really experienced PvP in W101 & have only dabbled a little bit in P101. But I do know that from what I have seen, I much prefer the PVP combat system of Pirate101 over Wiz.

Ship battles are indeed quite a blast & living the life of and as a pirate is quite a way to enjoy a game. I really enjoy the housing features & as you noted there is so much depth to the housing system, the decor & interactions that we have within our homes. It's quite a fun 'side feature' that I really enjoy.

I couldn't agree more with #s 3 & 4 & especially when comparing to other current, award winning games. I play a couple other MMOs that have been highly touted & are presently rather popular games. For the most part, despite all the awards these games have racked up, they lack an engaging & captivating story. One of them, I honestly couldn't even tell you what the real story is-- it kind of got lost along the way. Pirate101's story blows most of these other games' story lines right out of the water & actually leaves you guessing & searching for answers, begging for more...& it has a beautiful flow to it! How'd they do that!?!

As far as #4, same goes for these 'other' games. MMOs are meant to be enjoyed with other gamers, but that doesn't necessarily mean actually forcing players to team up or multi-match in order to get the 'endgame gear'. Even though there are very challenging dungeons/instances in P101, those instances (including the Tower/Arena) are able to be conquered solo or as a tandem team. You are given the option to solo, join up with 1, 2 or 3 more pirates & change up your game play by doing so. With some of these other games, there simply is no choice in regards to certain instances. Just one more thing that Pirate101 hit out of the park!

Thank you for sharing!
Why, thank you!:)
Trust me. You do not want to experience it. It's insanely built on cheaters, Over-Powered players, and more. The combat in wizard101 is built, both on health, and mana, which you need to cast a spell. A wizard, lacking mana, can be beaten by an adversary with one health. Thankfully, you cannot use the PVP gear in PVE combat, which is good, I guess, but even so quite a few bosses in PVE are cheaters, with massive amounts of health, armor, and damage which are essential factors to focus on while in combat with someone or something in any game.

The ship battles are probably my favorite style of combat. The others, being PVP and the non-ship PVE. I was amazed when I stepped into the first house I bought with gold in the crown shop on my pirate. It took me a full hour to explore its full depths.

It bothers me that pirate101 does not make fans out of everyone. I certainly am a fan of that, since wizard101 lost it's place in my favorites list a long time ago. I used to play a game called Free realms that went out of business a long time ago. It was kind of like pirate101, in that it had a severe lack of updates. However, it did have daily quests, rewards, etc, which I do hope KI incorporates into pirate101, some day, one way or another. Yes. The storyline is amazing and it sure beats a lot of other MMO's. I'm glad they left a cliff hanger in the final quest of the 14th book. It means we will come back, at some point. Also, i'm pretty sure that KI will keep developing for P101, so long as people keep playing.

Indeed! Though, if you ask me, no MMO should actually have the, "End game," gear, because it makes the games too easy and then they complain that it's too easy. Oh come on! Take off your dang OP gear and fight like everyone else does! It's hard enough without the gear and then they have to go and make people feel bad about their ignorance. (Will continue on another post.)

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
Aaron FireEyes on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
Why, thank you!:)
Trust me. You do not want to experience it. It's insanely built on cheaters, Over-Powered players, and more. The combat in wizard101 is built, both on health, and mana, which you need to cast a spell. A wizard, lacking mana, can be beaten by an adversary with one health. Thankfully, you cannot use the PVP gear in PVE combat, which is good, I guess, but even so quite a few bosses in PVE are cheaters, with massive amounts of health, armor, and damage which are essential factors to focus on while in combat with someone or something in any game.

The ship battles are probably my favorite style of combat. The others, being PVP and the non-ship PVE. I was amazed when I stepped into the first house I bought with gold in the crown shop on my pirate. It took me a full hour to explore its full depths.

It bothers me that pirate101 does not make fans out of everyone. I certainly am a fan of that, since wizard101 lost it's place in my favorites list a long time ago. I used to play a game called Free realms that went out of business a long time ago. It was kind of like pirate101, in that it had a severe lack of updates. However, it did have daily quests, rewards, etc, which I do hope KI incorporates into pirate101, some day, one way or another. Yes. The storyline is amazing and it sure beats a lot of other MMO's. I'm glad they left a cliff hanger in the final quest of the 14th book. It means we will come back, at some point. Also, i'm pretty sure that KI will keep developing for P101, so long as people keep playing.

Indeed! Though, if you ask me, no MMO should actually have the, "End game," gear, because it makes the games too easy and then they complain that it's too easy. Oh come on! Take off your dang OP gear and fight like everyone else does! It's hard enough without the gear and then they have to go and make people feel bad about their ignorance. (Will continue on another post.)
I witnessed one person posting on a thread somewhere. I forgot the name of the site, but this person was saying,
"Oh, I shouldn't have to take off my gear to make it harder! I've spent hours farming for it and so you need to install hard, easy, medium, modes or else i'm going to quit this game."
How stupid does that sound? He/ she spent hours, not days, or weeks like us, but we can still take off the stuff we've gained from countless days or weeks from farming.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Aaron FireEyes on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
I witnessed one person posting on a thread somewhere. I forgot the name of the site, but this person was saying,
"Oh, I shouldn't have to take off my gear to make it harder! I've spent hours farming for it and so you need to install hard, easy, medium, modes or else i'm going to quit this game."
How stupid does that sound? He/ she spent hours, not days, or weeks like us, but we can still take off the stuff we've gained from countless days or weeks from farming.
i'll play devils advocate here, like i usually do

why should the person have to take their gear off? they worked for it and have gotten so good that whatever it was is no longer a challenge, is it wrong to ask for a fight that takes your full concentration and skill?

and btw i know the feeling of months of farming, rookes gear didnt come easy

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I just wanted to put out a friendly reminder that this thread is supposed to be all about the positive and why we, the players and posters, enjoy Pirate101 so much. As a way to support the game, the developers, KI and to also share our favorite aspects of playing Pirate101. Also a means to show other non-pirates what they really are missing, in hopes of having them join us in all the fun.

Sharing some comparisons over why other games don't come close to this great game is indeed part of that, as long as the thread stays focused on what it is meant to accomplish...a positive, enjoyable reading experience where all are welcomed and should feel comfortable to share their favorite things about Pirate101. I'd rather try to keep this thread from turning into what so many other threads end up becoming. This isn't about who's wrong or right or aggressively stating and or arguing a case, but instead about what we enjoy the most about playing this amazing game.

So please, keep the positive and fun rolling on in and keep on sharing what you like most about Pirate101.

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
zuto4011a on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
i'll play devils advocate here, like i usually do

why should the person have to take their gear off? they worked for it and have gotten so good that whatever it was is no longer a challenge, is it wrong to ask for a fight that takes your full concentration and skill?

and btw i know the feeling of months of farming, rookes gear didnt come easy
I have farmed for countless items. None of which were easy to get and I have no problem with taking my gear off. Need I say more?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Aaron FireEyes on Jun 3, 2015 wrote:
I have farmed for countless items. None of which were easy to get and I have no problem with taking my gear off. Need I say more?
Please don't, this will just become an argument. You don't want to use your farmed gear? Your choice. Robert wants to use his gear? Again, his choice.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
One aspect of the game that I have really come to enjoy, is the variety of enemies in the Pirate101 Spiral.

There are so many unique and amazing looking baddies just trying to hold us piratical orphans down. From sharks, to pigs, to harpies, to rootin' tootin' gunslingin' roosters, to scorpions, to moles, to Mythological beasts, to mechanical madmen, to cute frogs and foxes and even maniacal moo'ers, the variety of enemies we face in this game are unlike any other.

From world to world, there's such a great change of pace and scenery and it makes it that much more exciting when we square off against a new species of enemy, for the very first time. With so many different types of dastardly foes trying to thwart our noble deeds and truth-seeking ways, it produces some of the most amazing game play experiences. And so much of the dialogue from these menacing mobs is just down right hilarious.

All in all, I'd say that Pirate101 (and I'm sure W101, as well) has some of the most unique, hilarious & gregarious- yet still nefarious, and most interesting 'bad guys' that can be found in one game. It's never a dull moment dealing with our pirates' little Spiral 'speed bumps'.