Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Kingsisle's Live MMO team... what does it mean?

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
So, I've read Professor Falmea's P101 Producer's letter... what does it all mean?

I know the new KingsIsle MMO Live Team is going to be really great, because I think it would bring unity to a whole new level for the teams that still work on W101 & P101, & that many of the P101 devs we still all know & like, such as One-Eyed Jack, Bonnie Anne, Blind Mew, Decius, & Ratbeard are all still around, like how some known W101 devs are, but, I have this to say... does this mean some that are on the W101 team will stop by time to time? I know it's going to be neat to see that, but, they'll still be making more new updates to W101 as well as the P101 team does, right?

The community's blown away by the reception of what Falmea said, & I know it's going to be amazing.

Still, will KI's mobile team continue with making more of their mobile gaming projects? Just asking.

One other thing, I know I've been still waiting to continue the P101 story, but, if we still need to wait a little more longer, as long as we have something new to keep us happy from time to time, I still understand.

This is surely going to bring unity to a whole new level for KI's teams. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
I read it to meant there will be one team working on both W101 and P101. This may mean that there are less updates for wizards but more updates for pirates. The pessimist in me thinks they are taking all the developers from P101 and putting them into the W101 team. Considering the lack of KI staff on these boards, it is possible this has already been happening.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
KiwiChickenz on Jul 15, 2015 wrote:
I read it to meant there will be one team working on both W101 and P101. This may mean that there are less updates for wizards but more updates for pirates. The pessimist in me thinks they are taking all the developers from P101 and putting them into the W101 team. Considering the lack of KI staff on these boards, it is possible this has already been happening.
So, in other words, they're going to try to balance the plans to later updates to W101 & P101 by combining the teams into one team, while still brining them to their games?

Well, W101's been having more updates & bundles recently, so I can hope they will bring in more new updates & bundles at a frequent rate like W101's. Don't worry, there will still be updates to W101 & P101. Let's hope their unified team may keep on growing afterwards.

Petty Officer
Mar 09, 2013
My optimistic half hopes that this will mean there is equal work on both games. This would put less work on Wizard and hopefully more on Pirate. This still doesn't soften the blow of our loss of Book 15 and I wouldn't expect it for another year at most. But just think that one day in the future we game veterans can laugh when the new players whine about having to wait a couple months between story updates and say "Ha! You think this is bad? Back in my day we had to wait 2-3 years between books!

Clever Sam Jones

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I must admit that I was very heartened by the Producer's Letter (but I still await the Producer's Letter on W101). The fact that the Producer is being given the face of Dalia Falmea rather than, say, Queen Eleanor, says to me that they are planning of doing some crossover work. I could be wrong, but...

I mean, wouldn't it be nice to go to an island where Wizards and Pirates can interact?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Max DeGroot on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
I must admit that I was very heartened by the Producer's Letter (but I still await the Producer's Letter on W101). The fact that the Producer is being given the face of Dalia Falmea rather than, say, Queen Eleanor, says to me that they are planning of doing some crossover work. I could be wrong, but...

I mean, wouldn't it be nice to go to an island where Wizards and Pirates can interact?
Well, I guess that this way, it will reduce waiting time for the team to provide updates to both W101 & P101 at once. Kind of neat, though.

I also await Wizard101's Producer's Letter, too, but I guess it could be one of P101's developers doing it, like Professor Falmea did to ours.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Trimond297 on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
Well, I guess that this way, it will reduce waiting time for the team to provide updates to both W101 & P101 at once. Kind of neat, though.

I also await Wizard101's Producer's Letter, too, but I guess it could be one of P101's developers doing it, like Professor Falmea did to ours.
It could, but like I said, if so, why put forth the face of Dalia Falmea, who is not a character in P101? Why not use, as I suggested, Queen Eleanor?

Developer
Max DeGroot on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
It could, but like I said, if so, why put forth the face of Dalia Falmea, who is not a character in P101? Why not use, as I suggested, Queen Eleanor?
We pretty much have open rein to pick our forum persona, so it often comes down to personal choice.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Max DeGroot on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
Hmm... Eleanor would be a fine choice, though, I would presume they would go for one of P101's characters to do the next W101's Producer's Letter, likely Blind Mew or Ratbeard. Still, whatever they choose, we'll be fine with it.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
I suspect there has been an MMO "team" for some time now (Wizard and Pirate has shared many resources for some time now...art, music, crossovers, community managers, etc). The recent change is that there is now a producer position in charge of both Pirate101 and Wizard101 and Falmea was appointed the first person in it (or second...depending on how you view J Todd Coleman's former position and the two games). I suspect very little will change from an outside perspective (player's view).

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Oran from Urz on Jul 20, 2015 wrote:
I suspect there has been an MMO "team" for some time now (Wizard and Pirate has shared many resources for some time now...art, music, crossovers, community managers, etc). The recent change is that there is now a producer position in charge of both Pirate101 and Wizard101 and Falmea was appointed the first person in it (or second...depending on how you view J Todd Coleman's former position and the two games). I suspect very little will change from an outside perspective (player's view).
I had a thought that the team, or teams, would do both games while the other continues to receive updates back from that time being where P101 was in development, though the waiting time for either game to receive updates would be a bit lengthier, & now that there's been a change that made them the KI MMO Live team, I would think the waiting time for providing updates & new bundles to both games at once will be reduced.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Oh! I almost forgot one thing after the formation of the KingsIsle MMO Live Team, does the KingsIsle Mobile Live Team still exists, if you want me to call the other team that? Not that I'm a big fan of mobile games or something, which I'm not, but, just asking. I can presume there are two teams now, one for providing updates to their MMO games & the other for proving updates to new & current mobile games, yes?

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Trimond297 on Jul 21, 2015 wrote:
Oh! I almost forgot one thing after the formation of the KingsIsle MMO Live Team, does the KingsIsle Mobile Live Team still exists, if you want me to call the other team that? Not that I'm a big fan of mobile games or something, which I'm not, but, just asking. I can presume there are two teams now, one for providing updates to their MMO games & the other for proving updates to new & current mobile games, yes?
The assumption is that the mobile team already exists (and are focused on releasing Rise & Destroy and updates for Grub Guardian). There is still a lot of advertised employment positions on the mobile team, so I suspect an additional mobile game is in concept phase.

It also seems that they are growing the MMO team, since there is a third MMO being planned/worked (in addition to Wizard101 and Pirate101 updates).

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Oran from Urz on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
The assumption is that the mobile team already exists (and are focused on releasing Rise & Destroy and updates for Grub Guardian). There is still a lot of advertised employment positions on the mobile team, so I suspect an additional mobile game is in concept phase.

It also seems that they are growing the MMO team, since there is a third MMO being planned/worked (in addition to Wizard101 and Pirate101 updates).
Yeah, but I would think we should call that team the KingsIsle Mobile Live Team, you know, just to tell them apart from their MMO Live Team. They still do want that team to get bigger, eh? Lot of positions, but just noticing.

Oh. Good to know. I can hope their newest MMO may incorporate WOW-like gameplay, like being able to jump & roam around & some different enemy combat system like that aforementioned example's, for instance, while retaining the family-friendly motif the two MMOs do, as well as a compelling storyline, too. I still do like the turn-based systems to P101 & W101, but I wish their new MMO in the works could have that kind of gameplay like WOW's, though, I would like the unit recruiting system in P101 to be adapted there. I can hope still also they will keep bringing in more coders, programmers, modelers & so on to their MMO team.

Did you say another MMO being planned with W101 & P101 updates? KI would confirm it if we knew about that.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard on Jul 19, 2015 wrote:
We pretty much have open rein to pick our forum persona, so it often comes down to personal choice.

I wouldn't read too much into it.
I understand, Ratbeard. Whatever you decide on a forum persona for a KI member, I'm content with it.