Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions received from card packs

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jun 01, 2009
I personally feel the way you receive companions from the booster packs should be handled differently.

Instead of whomever character you are using receiving the new companion, the new crew member should be placed in your gift box. That way you may place them with whichever pirate crew makes the most sense to you.

It's hard enough getting a companion from the boosters, it's a shame for them to end up with the wrong team...

Reckless Cedric

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Reckless Cedric on Sep 16, 2015 wrote:
I personally feel the way you receive companions from the booster packs should be handled differently.

Instead of whomever character you are using receiving the new companion, the new crew member should be placed in your gift box. That way you may place them with whichever pirate crew makes the most sense to you.

It's hard enough getting a companion from the boosters, it's a shame for them to end up with the wrong team...

Reckless Cedric
I like having a variety of companions to choose from. My witchdoctor has Kawil Doomclaw , my buccaneer has Khord and my main swashbuckler has Itzen Kaan . I would not trade/swap out any of these companions, they all work and are valued. And now with the Old Scratch update, those WD companions will be even more effective whether its for my WD or my other pirates.

Petty Officer
Jun 01, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 16, 2015 wrote:
I like having a variety of companions to choose from. My witchdoctor has Kawil Doomclaw , my buccaneer has Khord and my main swashbuckler has Itzen Kaan . I would not trade/swap out any of these companions, they all work and are valued. And now with the Old Scratch update, those WD companions will be even more effective whether its for my WD or my other pirates.
That's great, though that doesn't quite address what I am talking about. What I'm suggesting wouldn't prevent you from playing how you currently are.

Considering the rarity to obtaining the booster pack companions, I feel you should be able to choose which character you place them with when you first obtain them. Much like the companions from the different bundles, you get to choose who receives them.

I don't feel I am asking for the moon and stars.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Reckless Cedric on Sep 17, 2015 wrote:
That's great, though that doesn't quite address what I am talking about. What I'm suggesting wouldn't prevent you from playing how you currently are.

Considering the rarity to obtaining the booster pack companions, I feel you should be able to choose which character you place them with when you first obtain them. Much like the companions from the different bundles, you get to choose who receives them.

Well, consider that when we buy a pack, we're taking a gamble on the items available, just like chest drops or the SCC, these are random - it would take a lot of programing to say - "You've recruited a companion! Of these choices, which one do you want?"
And that is asking for the moon and stars ( and quite possibly Jupiter, too ).

Bosun
May 10, 2010

No, you are not asking for the moon or stars, I am not sure how feasible this would be for KI to implement, but I do agree, it would be nice to be able to simply purchase these companions, or if you are lucky enough to win one, you get to chose whom you would like to give that companion, perhaps to enhance your character or make up a lacking area of a character.

There are many reasons why this would be a wanted feature, the real question is, why not?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Hello there Cedric!

I would flat-out love to be able to pick & choose which pack companions go to which pirate. That would be amazing...but I honestly don't see it happening. I don't have #s to back it up, but I would imagine that players going after those pack companions would bring in some pretty hefty dough...and we aren't talking stuffed crust here-- mmm, love that stuff!

It's true that when we buy those bundles we are granted the wonderful privilege to place the companions from the bundles with 'the right pirate'-- but when we buy those bundles we know exactly what we're getting & there is only 1 option for the companion(s) (hmm, guess it's not an option, if only one choice). The pack companions lure us in hoping that we strike companion gold & on top of that, that we hit the 'right jackpot'. If we don't, what do a lot of us do, we keep on shelling out the cheese-- & we aren't talking pepper jack, here (mmm, love that stuff)-- and hope that we get lucky enough for another pack companion to come along & furthermore, if one does, this time it will be the 'right one'. I've heard some players spending over 150k Crowns before getting their 1st companion from a pack. Now that's a lot of greens there....& we're not talking Sour Apple Jolly Ranchers, here (mmm, love those things)! Those 150k Crowns for a companion can translate anywhere from $133-$150-$200, depending on Crowns sales.

So clearly the glitter of getting those companions, & getting the 'right one' on the right character, can prove too much to resist & may require forking over a lot of dinero...and we're not talking ol' Robbie here-- man what an actor, love that guy!

I agree with you, Cedric, as I would have enjoyed being able to place companions from the packs with the best fit of a pirate. But as long as those packs are bringing in that type of moolah...and we're not talking singing cows here (that would be quite entertaining!), the total randomness will be in KI's best & most profitable interests.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 17, 2015 wrote:
Hello there Cedric!

I would flat-out love to be able to pick & choose which pack companions go to which pirate. That would be amazing...but I honestly don't see it happening. I don't have #s to back it up, but I would imagine that players going after those pack companions would bring in some pretty hefty dough...and we aren't talking stuffed crust here-- mmm, love that stuff!

It's true that when we buy those bundles we are granted the wonderful privilege to place the companions from the bundles with 'the right pirate'-- but when we buy those bundles we know exactly what we're getting & there is only 1 option for the companion(s) (hmm, guess it's not an option, if only one choice). The pack companions lure us in hoping that we strike companion gold & on top of that, that we hit the 'right jackpot'. If we don't, what do a lot of us do, we keep on shelling out the cheese-- & we aren't talking pepper jack, here (mmm, love that stuff)-- and hope that we get lucky enough for another pack companion to come along & furthermore, if one does, this time it will be the 'right one'. I've heard some players spending over 150k Crowns before getting their 1st companion from a pack. Now that's a lot of greens there....& we're not talking Sour Apple Jolly Ranchers, here (mmm, love those things)! Those 150k Crowns for a companion can translate anywhere from $133-$150-$200, depending on Crowns sales.

So clearly the glitter of getting those companions, & getting the 'right one' on the right character, can prove too much to resist & may require forking over a lot of dinero...and we're not talking ol' Robbie here-- man what an actor, love that guy!

I agree with you, Cedric, as I would have enjoyed being able to place companions from the packs with the best fit of a pirate. But as long as those packs are bringing in that type of moolah...and we're not talking singing cows here (that would be quite entertaining!), the total randomness will be in KI's best & most profitable interests.
I DO so love it when you run with a theme. Thanks for the giggles

Petty Officer
Jun 01, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 17, 2015 wrote:
Hello there Cedric!

Sadly, this is probably the single most likely, and well written, reason why it won't happen.

Oh well...

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Reckless Cedric on Sep 18, 2015 wrote:
Sadly, this is probably the single most likely, and well written, reason why it won't happen.

Oh well...
Yeah, I truly would enjoy being able to move pack companions to the right pirate, but I think tharrr be too much gold in them packs!

Simply being able to use only one pirate to purchase the packs and then distribute them to the other pirates, may cut into the costs per chance thingy. Buuuuut.......there are a lot of players that completely avoid buying the packs altogether, because of the risk/reward aspect of them. For those players, who knows, maybe knowing you can at least put a rewarded pack with the pirate of their choice, will entice them to join in on the gamble a bit more.

As it is now, you may get lucky with a Bear or Dino companion, but still feel a bit unlucky because you got it on a pirate that you feel can't benefit from it as much. You may have to get 5 other bears, before you get the one you want on that pirate-- and that's a lot of cha-ching...and we're not talking sword fighting chain link fences here (sorry, that's the last one)! So you may not feel it's worth the risk. If you can 'move' the pack companions, you may feel more inclined to open up the wallet, knowing that even if it takes a while to get a companion, you can at least put it with the pirate of your choice. Some that didn't once before, may now decide to go for it!

So who knows, maybe a future pack may offer 'pack companion pirate placement', but it still seems highly unlikely. But It may cause some dissension in the ranks for those that bought the earlier packs, and in their quest for the 'right pack companion', shucked out a lotta clams-- and we're not talki......

But coming from someone who has all 11 pack companions on one pirate, me and my wallet sure would welcome being able to transfer the companion prizes between pirates. I guess that's just the risk we take!

And thank you Chrissy, always glad to get ya giggling. You know me...gotta try anything I can to keep from stiflin' the goof!

Petty Officer
Jun 01, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 18, 2015 wrote:
Yeah, I truly would enjoy being able to move pack companions to the right pirate, but I think tharrr be too much gold in them packs!

Simply being able to use only one pirate to purchase the packs and then distribute them to the other pirates, may cut into the costs per chance thingy. Buuuuut.......there are a lot of players that completely avoid buying the packs altogether, because of the risk/reward aspect of them. For those players, who knows, maybe knowing you can at least put a rewarded pack with the pirate of their choice, will entice them to join in on the gamble a bit more.

As it is now, you may get lucky with a Bear or Dino companion, but still feel a bit unlucky because you got it on a pirate that you feel can't benefit from it as much. You may have to get 5 other bears, before you get the one you want on that pirate-- and that's a lot of cha-ching...and we're not talking sword fighting chain link fences here (sorry, that's the last one)! So you may not feel it's worth the risk. If you can 'move' the pack companions, you may feel more inclined to open up the wallet, knowing that even if it takes a while to get a companion, you can at least put it with the pirate of your choice. Some that didn't once before, may now decide to go for it!

So who knows, maybe a future pack may offer 'pack companion pirate placement', but it still seems highly unlikely. But It may cause some dissension in the ranks for those that bought the earlier packs, and in their quest for the 'right pack companion', shucked out a lotta clams-- and we're not talki......

But coming from someone who has all 11 pack companions on one pirate, me and my wallet sure would welcome being able to transfer the companion prizes between pirates. I guess that's just the risk we take!

And thank you Chrissy, always glad to get ya giggling. You know me...gotta try anything I can to keep from stiflin' the goof!
Well, they could give those who already received various companions, a one-time reassigning of them.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Reckless Cedric on Sep 21, 2015 wrote:
Well, they could give those who already received various companions, a one-time reassigning of them.
Very true, Cedric & that would be a nice gesture.

But what I was getting at was the amount of money & Crowns players spent on the Dino/Grizzly packs. A free-reassigning would be great but many players kept shelling out mega bucks-- & I'm not talking white-tailed jackalopes, here...so cute! -- in order to get the right companion on the right pirate (since you couldn't & can't currently assign them). So, if new packs allowed players to pass rewarded pack companions to the pirate they wished to have the companions...players who spent 150k+ on the current packs in order to get that right crew member, would be left with a bit of a bitter taste. It may seem a bit unfair if in the future someone spent 50k Crowns to get a companion, then could place it with the best-fit of a pirate-- meanwhile someone spent 250k Crowns, got 2 or 3 'wrong' pack companions for that pirate, & then still continued to spend in order to get that right companion, on that 'proper' pirate. To suddenly make it so that everyone could just assign rewarded packs to their pirates, & also handing out free-reassignments for past pack companions, would be nice...but at the same time, a bit unfair.

The 'losing out on assigning rewarded comps part', from past packs, wouldn't be the problem. It would be all of the lost money/Crowns part that would be the issue-- in the quest to get that 'most desired' companion on the right pirate. Those players couldn't get back those lost Crowns & lost coinage. If new packs came along that allowed everyone the opportunity to assign the pack rewarded companions, that's fantastic, but it may seem quite unfair to those that spent tons of money to get that right companion, in regards to current packs. Again, this is with the money/Crowns investment being more of the issue, not the assigning part of it.

I wouldn't mind being able to assign future pack companions, but at the same time I think it would be a bit unfair to players who spent a lot on current packs.

Petty Officer
Jun 01, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 21, 2015 wrote:
Very true, Cedric & that would be a nice gesture.

But what I was getting at was the amount of money & Crowns players spent on the Dino/Grizzly packs. A free-reassigning would be great but many players kept shelling out mega bucks-- & I'm not talking white-tailed jackalopes, here...so cute! -- in order to get the right companion on the right pirate (since you couldn't & can't currently assign them). So, if new packs allowed players to pass rewarded pack companions to the pirate they wished to have the companions...players who spent 150k+ on the current packs in order to get that right crew member, would be left with a bit of a bitter taste. It may seem a bit unfair if in the future someone spent 50k Crowns to get a companion, then could place it with the best-fit of a pirate-- meanwhile someone spent 250k Crowns, got 2 or 3 'wrong' pack companions for that pirate, & then still continued to spend in order to get that right companion, on that 'proper' pirate. To suddenly make it so that everyone could just assign rewarded packs to their pirates, & also handing out free-reassignments for past pack companions, would be nice...but at the same time, a bit unfair.

The 'losing out on assigning rewarded comps part', from past packs, wouldn't be the problem. It would be all of the lost money/Crowns part that would be the issue-- in the quest to get that 'most desired' companion on the right pirate. Those players couldn't get back those lost Crowns & lost coinage. If new packs came along that allowed everyone the opportunity to assign the pack rewarded companions, that's fantastic, but it may seem quite unfair to those that spent tons of money to get that right companion, in regards to current packs. Again, this is with the money/Crowns investment being more of the issue, not the assigning part of it.

I wouldn't mind being able to assign future pack companions, but at the same time I think it would be a bit unfair to players who spent a lot on current packs.
Okay, I got what you're saying, now.

I could see quite a few people getting upset over that. Spending a ton of crowns per character, when they only needed to receive the companion the first time around.

Though I guess would KI gain more revenue by

Inticing us occasional booster purchasers with this change, or lose out more by a fire storm from the heavy spenders. I would have to imagine there are more casual buyers, like myself, though I am not heavily active in the different community boards.

Either way, I don't think there is anything more for me to cover on this, lol.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Reckless Cedric on Sep 23, 2015 wrote:
Okay, I got what you're saying, now.

I could see quite a few people getting upset over that. Spending a ton of crowns per character, when they only needed to receive the companion the first time around.

Though I guess would KI gain more revenue by

Inticing us occasional booster purchasers with this change, or lose out more by a fire storm from the heavy spenders. I would have to imagine there are more casual buyers, like myself, though I am not heavily active in the different community boards.

Either way, I don't think there is anything more for me to cover on this, lol.
I certainly agree with you, Cedric. I do believe there are more, casual purchasers out there, but I'd imagine that the 'heavy spenders', though perhaps lesser in numbers, are possibly bringing in a larger revenue. I say this because, those heavy spenders are spending on Booster Packs, and also spending freely on Crown items, Bundles, speed training of pets, Second Chance Chests, Snack Packs, Energy Potions & so on-- across 6 pirates & often on multiple, paid accounts.

I'm always amazed at how it seems that less than a week after new stuff comes out, soooo many pirates already have most of the new gear, companions from new packs & brand new pets already maxed with 6 grants. The only way they are doing this, is because they are mass spending & hitting the SCC's, hard. Even though strategy greatly comes into play, there is still a big 'pay to win' (or at least 'pay to be the first to have the new stuff) aspect to this game. Players want to combine their skill with the best the game has to offer & are willing to pay for it. That translates into big time spending-- which greatly supports this game.

Take away that 'bigger gamble' & it takes away a lot of revenue. A 'lesser gamble' would be nice, as it would affect a larger group of casual spenders, but bigger gambles usually produce bigger profits (& losses, as well).

Also, I think that if players could just freely assign pack (& swap-- also suggested, elsewhere) comps, it would take away from some of the diversity in the Spiral. It wouldn't be long before every pirate out there has the exact same crews. It would take no time at all, for everyone to become 'the same pirate'.

It would've been nice if KI allowed assigning pack comps from the very get-go. But since they didn't, I'd imagine it would remain the way it has been from the very start. I do think it is most profitable, the way it is. But I certainly understand the wanting to be able to assign companions. Coming from a 'heavier spender'....I'd surely welcome it.

Ensign
Apr 18, 2014
You all have excellent points here.

This is something I too, annoyingly, have to juggle crown shop purchases amongst my pirates.

I admit to buying snacks on a regular basis, many times splurging for the snacks on the grizzly packs, (wish there was some snacks in Tribal pack ;)

But I reserve the the grizzly pack purchases to my newer pirate builds in the extremely rare event I am rewarded with a bear over a cone, that I swear I will never use. Ever.

Its a lot of logging in/out that I feel must make me look like a crazy person to my online friends.

May I say GRR!