Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

bundle companions?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 12, 2009
I believe that if you get a pack companion it should be considered a "gift" like bundle companions are, because if you are on a witchdoctor and you want the witchdoctor bear but get the musketeer bear you shouldnt be stuck with it. You should be able to "redeem" it on a musketeer pirate.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Ensign
May 23, 2014
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 19, 2015 wrote:
......but its random.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
....but he's trying to change that.

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Sorry, but no. The nature of the packs is that you never know what you'll get until you open them up for yourself. Allowing players to select which items they want from them would defeat the purpose of pack-exclusive companions, so no I disagree that we should have this option added to the game.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
flash33 on Oct 20, 2015 wrote:
Sorry, but no. The nature of the packs is that you never know what you'll get until you open them up for yourself. Allowing players to select which items they want from them would defeat the purpose of pack-exclusive companions, so no I disagree that we should have this option added to the game.
That's not what he's trying to say. He means should you win a companion, it should go in your gift inventory. Seems reasonable to me.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Fearless Finnagan on Oct 20, 2015 wrote:
That's not what he's trying to say. He means should you win a companion, it should go in your gift inventory. Seems reasonable to me.
(arrow pointing up)
this guy knows what's up

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hey Finn, how ya been?

It does certainly seem reasonable, at least from the players' standpoint. But I imagine that players shelling out clams on packs, in hopes of getting the right pack companion(s) on the right pirate, is a big 'money haul' that truly helps fund the future of the game.

If we could merely 'gift' the pack companions to any pirate (as we do with Bundle companions), it would surely cut into P101's financial gains-- perhaps dramatically. Many (I'm hesitant to say most), pirates wish to have at least 1 pack companion on each pirate, hoping that it is the right Bear or Dino, on the right class. As it is now, if you want, say...Baar on your Buck, you may have to purchase enough packs to randomly win all 5 other Bears before even getting Baar for your Buck. There's a good chance that the same scenario would, or could, possibly play out for each pirate you have in your roster. Now that's a lot of potential Crowns/Money that would need to be thrown towards those packs.

If we could merely gift the pack companions to the right pirate, we simply could use 1 pirate & as the awarded companions came along, we could distribute them to the other pirates, until that 'purchasing pirate' has successfully hit all of the pack companions & thus 'spread the wealth'.

I'm all for players getting what they want, but at the same time I think it is imperative that KI continues to make as much 'extra money' as possible. Players already request to phase out many of the game's 'paying options' & KI can't be expected to accommodate all requests that cut into revenue.

I'm all for helping the players but I also personally think that, seeing as the packs are a pay-for-random-reward thing, that not being able to move the pack companions is in KI's best interests (and ours as well)...& perfectly okay. In order for the game to continue to develop, we the players must spend money & we have to be willing to sacrifice some things, in order to help the game we all love, grow & prosper.

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
If KI were to do this, I believe they'd have a lot more non-supporters than supporters, because those non-supporters would be the ones to have gotten 5-7 bears and 5 dinos on 1 pirate, just because they want 1 bear and 1 dino on that one pirate..... What I'm getting at, is they'd be disapponted, maybe even angry that they wouldn't have been able to choose which pirate the bear/ dino went on, so they'd be disappointed that others could. Capiche?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
How can you determine which companion would be "right" for which pirate? The thinking seems to be: class should match with class.
Yet when I managed to snag companions from the Tribal Pack, I got Itzen Kaan ( ) on my swashbuckler and Kawil Doomclaw ( ) on my witchdoctor. Now I wouldn't switch them for anything, Itzen is my back up to El Toro, and Kawil is simply a beast at fighting for my witchdoctor.
And now I have Khord ( ) on my buccaneer, I haven't managed to use him as effectively, yet, but I would never wish to trade him to my witchdoctor ( who already has plenty of WD companions ).

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Oct 22, 2015 wrote:
How can you determine which companion would be "right" for which pirate? The thinking seems to be: class should match with class.
Yet when I managed to snag companions from the Tribal Pack, I got Itzen Kaan ( ) on my swashbuckler and Kawil Doomclaw ( ) on my witchdoctor. Now I wouldn't switch them for anything, Itzen is my back up to El Toro, and Kawil is simply a beast at fighting for my witchdoctor.
And now I have Khord ( ) on my buccaneer, I haven't managed to use him as effectively, yet, but I would never wish to trade him to my witchdoctor ( who already has plenty of WD companions ).
Good point(s)!

My belief is that the 'right companion for the right pirate' would be completely varied depending upon the player. Some just like the looks of a certain pack companion and may want that same pack companion on every pirate, with it having nothing to do with battle effectiveness or strategy. Some may want to shore up a weak spot, or class, in their roster, that may otherwise be lacking some oomph for a certain class. For them, the right companion would be one that gives them more class options in battle. Some may wish to pair up by class and some may wish to pair up a pack companion based on the ranged/melee aspect of combat-- maybe they are a musket or witchy and want a bruiser of a buck to take some of the heat off of them. Or maybe they are a Privy who wants that hard hitting Swash companion to buff up and make them even more destructive.

So, I agree....the right fit (and the right pirate) could easily vary from player to player and depend on their wants/wishes. But many, I would think, would have their own preferences as to which pack companion they'd like to see, on a certain pirate. Their right fit, wouldn't necessarily be the same 'right fit' for you and/or I, or anyone else out there.

Me, I'm more like you. I got (and get excited) no matter which pack companion pops up on the side of the screen-- to me that's what makes it fun-- the not knowing just whom you are going to get and the welcoming them into your crew and seeing what they have to offer. I have all 11 pack companions on one pirate and I wouldn't trade a one of 'em to my other pirates. Nope...they, I mean I, will have to shell out for all those pirates, should I wish to recruit the pack companions onto their crews, as well. Each of them have at least one, and I think they are pretty content with the crew member they recruited...for now at least!

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
While I can certainly understand that, again I say that it kinda defeats the purpose of pack-exclusive companions to begin with. While it would be a nice feature to have, since it ultimately defeats the purpose of pack-exclusive companions I just don't see a reason to add it to the game, but that's just me.