Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Phobias

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fear, we all have felt it, but some feel it more than others. I wonder how someone with this condition can play an MMORPG.
I mean one of those crippling type of fears that leave the sufferer sweaty, and with an elevated heart-rate.
I used to be terrified of spiders when I was much younger, I even refused to touch a page that had a picture of a spider on it. And when my sister expressed a wish to have a tarantula as a pet; I remembered how her gerbil escaped from it's cage and I commented: "If you get a tarantula and it escapes, you won't have a tarantula anymore!"
Well and what about snakes and lizards, these are some of the top fears among people.
I have yet to see or play an MMO that didn't have giant snakes or spiders ( even Disney's Pixie Hollow, and let me tell you for a girly game about fairies, it had the scariest spiders I have yet seen. )
So what I want to know is - do you have a phobia and does it affect how you play P101 or W101 ( or any other MMO? )

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:
Fear, we all have felt it, but some feel it more than others. I wonder how someone with this condition can play an MMORPG.
I mean one of those crippling type of fears that leave the sufferer sweaty, and with an elevated heart-rate.
I used to be terrified of spiders when I was much younger, I even refused to touch a page that had a picture of a spider on it. And when my sister expressed a wish to have a tarantula as a pet; I remembered how her gerbil escaped from it's cage and I commented: "If you get a tarantula and it escapes, you won't have a tarantula anymore!"
Well and what about snakes and lizards, these are some of the top fears among people.
I have yet to see or play an MMO that didn't have giant snakes or spiders ( even Disney's Pixie Hollow, and let me tell you for a girly game about fairies, it had the scariest spiders I have yet seen. )
So what I want to know is - do you have a phobia and does it affect how you play P101 or W101 ( or any other MMO? )
Aye, There be a reason they call me FEARLESS Finnigan.

Ensign
Feb 11, 2012
I have the same fear, but I usually am fine. Except for that one cave in the Arryo Grande Skyway. Not Spider Cave, or whatever it's called. The dungeon one. That room with the spiders freaked me out.

Lieutenant
Aug 19, 2011
Spiders. I've been afraid of those things for as long as I could remember. Even now as a young woman, I still have it bad. It doesn't matter whether I'm looking at a real of fake spider, I cringe no matter what. I can't even look at a picture of a spider without freaking out. Bugs freak me out period, but spiders were always the worst. (and should my sister ever get a "pet" tarantula, I'm never setting foot into her room ever again).

My phobia shows no matter what video game I play - and I've seen my share of some really nasty ones (the spiders in the Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess are downright creepy, especially the giant one you fight as a boss. The Hobbit game definitely had some of the scariest I've ever seen, and you had to fight three giant spiders for a boss fight.) Whenever I had to fight spiders in a game - I'm either really hesitant or I try to avoid them all together (unless I can kill them from afar, then I do so right away). Oddly enough, it's not as bad in Wizards or Pirates, but I still always end up with the willies.

By the way, thanks for giving me the willies.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
My phobia is being in the dark. It's not the things in the dark as much as it is not knowing my surroundings or basically not being able to see if something was there. Also my floor is always layered over with legos because of my little brother and I would die of the pain of stepping on them if I couldn't see them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I don't exactly have a phobia with spiders but get one on me, or a web and I will get my weeks worth of cardio done in seconds.

My biggest phobia is dentists and if we ever get a dentist boss I will thoroughly enjoy myself pummeling the enamel out of him or her..............repeatedly.

Now if said quest put me into that dreaded chair and I had to experience dental work...........That may be another matter entirely. I suspect that will be enough to get my squirmies going for sure.

Petty Officer
Feb 06, 2016
Only crippling/severe phobias I have are of blood and all that yucky stuff, luckily there's none here!
I am afraid of insects in general, and the slim chance of Khrysalis being a world'll trouble me and some.
Death is a common phobia with anyone, so it might hurt some people, even me, but no major character deaths have happened yet

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 18, 2016 wrote:
I don't exactly have a phobia with spiders but get one on me, or a web and I will get my weeks worth of cardio done in seconds.

My biggest phobia is dentists and if we ever get a dentist boss I will thoroughly enjoy myself pummeling the enamel out of him or her..............repeatedly.

Now if said quest put me into that dreaded chair and I had to experience dental work...........That may be another matter entirely. I suspect that will be enough to get my squirmies going for sure.
So, yer sayin' if Cavity Carl challenges you to some sabre crossin' yer gonna hafta think twice about it?
Bears are my thing. I've never seen a bear in the wild but for some deep seeded unconscious reason I have a fear of them. Hmm... I guess maybe the fact that they can run faster, climb farther and, oh yeah, not to forget bite harder than me might have something to do with it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 18, 2016 wrote:

What about that character played by Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hoodoo Mistress on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:
Spiders. I've been afraid of those things for as long as I could remember. Even now as a young woman, I still have it bad. It doesn't matter whether I'm looking at a real of fake spider, I cringe no matter what. I can't even look at a picture of a spider without freaking out. Bugs freak me out period, but spiders were always the worst. (and should my sister ever get a "pet" tarantula, I'm never setting foot into her room ever again).

My phobia shows no matter what video game I play - and I've seen my share of some really nasty ones (the spiders in the Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess are downright creepy, especially the giant one you fight as a boss. The Hobbit game definitely had some of the scariest I've ever seen, and you had to fight three giant spiders for a boss fight.) Whenever I had to fight spiders in a game - I'm either really hesitant or I try to avoid them all together (unless I can kill them from afar, then I do so right away). Oddly enough, it's not as bad in Wizards or Pirates, but I still always end up with the willies.

I feel for you, I really do, perhaps playing these games can be therapeutic?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirate101 fan on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:
My phobia is being in the dark. It's not the things in the dark as much as it is not knowing my surroundings or basically not being able to see if something was there. Also my floor is always layered over with legos because of my little brother and I would die of the pain of stepping on them if I couldn't see them.
Stepping on a Lego is one of the worst! ( It's like to stepping on a nail, I know from experience. )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TheFarReach on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:
I have the same fear, but I usually am fine. Except for that one cave in the Arryo Grande Skyway. Not Spider Cave, or whatever it's called. The dungeon one. That room with the spiders freaked me out.
I think I know which one, its in the McGee mine, yeah, very creepy.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Tumbleweed.

I simply refuse to go into that town.

Bosun
Mar 04, 2012
I have a fear of spiders and snakes but the ones on the games don't really bother me I guess as long as they are on the screen and not here I'm ok with them

Gunner's Mate
Jul 08, 2013
Fearless Finnagan on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:
Same goes for me Finn.

Why would you think they call be FEARLESS talon?

Also If I had to be really honest. I don't know any fears I once had with the game. I can't seem to get any in mind.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Fearless Finnagan on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:
WAIT. You didn't quit?

relevant part of the post
i'm afraid of...um...well i've had nightmares of holes opening up in me and providing shelter for many strange insects...i'm afraid of that.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Hoodoo Mistress on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:

Twilight Princess has what I consider the worst spiders in any game I've played. I just got the HD version...I'm definitely not looking forward to Armoghoma in better graphics.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I'm a generally brave sort of person until you confront me with a bug. Anything with more than four legs is a huge NOPE in my book, but the creepy crawlies in Wiz and Pirate don't bother me much. They're very cartoony, so I'm usually not bothered by them.

I also have an extreme distaste for heights, but that's never much of an issue in the game.

Lieutenant
Aug 19, 2011
anecorbie on Mar 18, 2016 wrote:
I feel for you, I really do, perhaps playing these games can be therapeutic?
Maybe in some cases. In my case, however, it's definitely not working.

Lieutenant
Aug 19, 2011
MistyDragon13 on Mar 19, 2016 wrote:
Twilight Princess has what I consider the worst spiders in any game I've played. I just got the HD version...I'm definitely not looking forward to Armoghoma in better graphics.
You and me both...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Speed Switch on Mar 18, 2016 wrote:
Tumbleweed.

I simply refuse to go into that town.
Do you mean Miranda ( the ghost town )? Or is there some scary thing in Tumbleweed that I missed?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TucsonWizard on Mar 18, 2016 wrote:
So, yer sayin' if Cavity Carl challenges you to some sabre crossin' yer gonna hafta think twice about it?
Bears are my thing. I've never seen a bear in the wild but for some deep seeded unconscious reason I have a fear of them. Hmm... I guess maybe the fact that they can run faster, climb farther and, oh yeah, not to forget bite harder than me might have something to do with it.
Welcome to the message boards, TucsonWizard - and don't forget that bears also have razor sharp claws!
Sorry I just had to mention that....

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Ah, phobias, if I have one, I haven't found it yet. And trust me, for some reason I've tried to find it.
Creepy Crawlies, nope, I used to work with those awesome little guys. Plenty of people, when learning that I used to work as a biologist assume I was working with cute fuzzy critters, but nope, I was studying aquatic invertebrates, usually the creepies, crawliest, and slimiest of the lot.

Blood and gore? Nope, my first thought of a career was as a veterinarian. As such I got my self a part time job in an animal hospital, (cleaning up some rather disgusting messes) helping with surguries and autopsies.

Heights, small spaces, etc. Well, basic training for the military took care of those. Rappelling from a helicopter skid, crawling through unlit tunnels on the assualt course, climbing over cargo netting with full combat gear on. Easy.

Never had an issue with needles, (I tend to unnerve the doctors/nurses as I watch the needle go into my arm)

Darkness, I love the dark, and night time. The only thing different from night to day is the lack of light.

Snakes, I used to chase my sisters around the backyard with snakes.

Flying? Ha! I'm Airforce.

But, I am interested in how other people are scared by in game creatures, they can't even touch you like a real spider can.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
when I was little I was chased by this big fat chicken. now I'm afraid of chickens. I now surround myself by chickens to make fun of myself for that fear. to be honest I'm afraid of pretty much everything since I know everything can kill me, gaming is my way of dealing with that because I can at least face my fears without getting up, so eh.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on Mar 18, 2016 wrote:
What about that character played by Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors?
As much as I LOVE that move, those scenes still curl my toes.