Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

No Strategy Needed?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
Ranked PvP has become something where I enjoy 50% of the time, and feel like I lost without any strategy required the other 50% of the time. As a privateer, I feel like I can beat every other class except for the good buckler. I just feel like no strategy is really required as a Buckler. You can tell by the lack of variety in gear sets and companions overall. All they ever seem to do is Fog, run up, and purge then kill your pirate. If they don't have purge, then they just kill all of your companions in one turn, and then poison your pirate. I know I can just fort spam, but they can just wait it all out, staying out of my range of 3. I know that they're are a lot of posts about how Buckler is OP, but I think it's not them. I think just adding one of these 2 "solutions" will already add a huge balance in the game.

Curse should not last for 5 turns, only 3. The poison would still remain for 5 turns, but they would need a more strategic time of using the curse. That way, a privateer can actually heal and shroud would be an effective way for recovery.

Make fog a positive effect so it will purge off fog, so raise barricade will definitely be of more use in ranked. Even if they kill off my pirate, I still have a shot to win if I can kill off their pirate and make it more balanced and at least have a chance to win.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Celestialmaster147 on Apr 5, 2016 wrote:
Ranked PvP has become something where I enjoy 50% of the time, and feel like I lost without any strategy required the other 50% of the time. As a privateer, I feel like I can beat every other class except for the good buckler. I just feel like no strategy is really required as a Buckler. You can tell by the lack of variety in gear sets and companions overall. All they ever seem to do is Fog, run up, and purge then kill your pirate. If they don't have purge, then they just kill all of your companions in one turn, and then poison your pirate. I know I can just fort spam, but they can just wait it all out, staying out of my range of 3. I know that they're are a lot of posts about how Buckler is OP, but I think it's not them. I think just adding one of these 2 "solutions" will already add a huge balance in the game.

Curse should not last for 5 turns, only 3. The poison would still remain for 5 turns, but they would need a more strategic time of using the curse. That way, a privateer can actually heal and shroud would be an effective way for recovery.

Make fog a positive effect so it will purge off fog, so raise barricade will definitely be of more use in ranked. Even if they kill off my pirate, I still have a shot to win if I can kill off their pirate and make it more balanced and at least have a chance to win.
Not only do swashbucklers have strategy, apparently they have a very effective one, or you wouldn't be here complaining about it. Haven't you heard of using Old Scratch's buff to max the damage from your big guns, bolster your shields and heals?
#1. Instead of demanding unnecessary nerfs that would seriously affect the way SBs fight PVE, why not have the Marchioness remove the non-healing curse, so you can heal?
#2. I don't understand your statement, do you mean have purge remove fog if the swashbuckler uses it? This has been discussed and maybe this is an option. But purge should not remove fog if the opponent is using it against the hidden SB.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 5, 2016 wrote:
Not only do swashbucklers have strategy, apparently they have a very effective one, or you wouldn't be here complaining about it. Haven't you heard of using Old Scratch's buff to max the damage from your big guns, bolster your shields and heals?
#1. Instead of demanding unnecessary nerfs that would seriously affect the way SBs fight PVE, why not have the Marchioness remove the non-healing curse, so you can heal?
#2. I don't understand your statement, do you mean have purge remove fog if the swashbuckler uses it? This has been discussed and maybe this is an option. But purge should not remove fog if the opponent is using it against the hidden SB.
I don't want it but if you think of it hide is a buff, it gives you bonus attack power and makes you immune to some attacks, it should be removed by purge then?

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 5, 2016 wrote:
I don't believe that relying on a single card to win the match is a "strategy".I'm not asking for fog to be nerfed in a sense. Yes. I have heard of someone called Old Scratch, and he's used in my matches. I do use my Scratch buff, but after around 1.5 k damage, I can't do much else. Unless they made the fires from the bombs last for 5 turns. Plus, a good buckler would have enough sense to move away. Even if I go second, it's only a 390 damage and small flame without the scratch buff. A fort and a revive takes it all off. It only boosts VA, which won't break hide if that doesn't break. Heals don't really matter if we're cursed for 5 rounds does it?

Marchioness just doesn't really have much to offer. It's still an open turn to be purged off all your protection buffs and die and all.

Yes, I do. And then that makes it completely useless. Purge should have to remove the hide, no matter who uses it.

All I see from bucklers:
Fog
Move Up
Buff (Fan critical buff, etc.)
Purge when companions are away, so I have not use fort and move away, still dying, or fort and have it purged off.
Then hit with super and stuff
When every single buckler I see does the exact same thing in the exact same order, there is no variety, nothing that ever surprises me, except when they don't fog until a good time, or can't find it. I can try everything, Raise barricade is useless nowadays. I'm not asking to nerf Bucklers to where it's an easy win. I'm asking for them to have to use more strategy to win a game that doesn't revolve around a single card and super assassins during late game every single time without a critical buff.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I don't believe that relying on a single card to win the match is a "strategy".I'm not asking for fog to be nerfed in a sense. Yes. I have heard of someone called Old Scratch, and he's used in my matches. I do use my Scratch buff, but after around 1.5 k damage, I can't do much else. Unless they made the fires from the bombs last for 5 turns. Plus, a good buckler would have enough sense to move away. Even if I go second, it's only a 390 damage and small flame without the scratch buff. A fort and a revive takes it all off. It only boosts VA, which won't break hide if that doesn't break. Heals don't really matter if we're cursed for 5 rounds does it?

Marchioness just doesn't really have much to offer. It's still an open turn to be purged off all your protection buffs and die and all.

Yes, I do. And then that makes it completely useless. Purge should have to remove the hide, no matter who uses it.

All I see from bucklers:
Fog
Move Up
Buff (Fan critical buff, etc.)
Purge when companions are away, so I have not use fort and move away, still dying, or fort and have it purged off.
Then hit with super and stuff
When every single buckler I see does the exact same thing in the exact same order, there is no variety, nothing that ever surprises me, except when they don't fog until a good time, or can't find it. I can try everything, Raise barricade is useless nowadays. I'm not asking to nerf Bucklers to where it's an easy win. I'm asking for them to have to use more strategy to win a game that doesn't revolve around a single card and super assassins during late game every single time without a critical buff.
All other classes have their strategies and ( mostly ) all of them follow a pattern. The most you can say is that SBs are in a rut and don't innovate, but why should they when this strategy ( and it is a strategy ) works? They aren't relying on a single card but a combination of them, well that sounds to me like a strategy.
If you don't want to use the Marchioness, then I suggest you farm Bishop for his Technomage glasses.
But wait that takes a turn to use too, well in that case if you still don't choose to use a counter to an attack, then don't expect KI to provide a solution, when there's already a counter in the game.
If you know they will rush you, why not use Emmett's slow down de-buff? ( believe me, this works and its annoying as heck. )
Purge if used by hidden removing hidden is reasonable.
Purged used as removing hidden ( no matter what ) is unbalanced.
It's obvious to me that you don't wish to change your strategy to meet the demands of another class.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Apr 5, 2016 wrote:
I don't want it but if you think of it hide is a buff, it gives you bonus attack power and makes you immune to some attacks, it should be removed by purge then?
The only buff in the game that goes away when used, I'm not going to say any more on this subject.
If the SBs uses Purge, then imo, it would be a good idea if it removes hides.

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
All other classes have their strategies and ( mostly ) all of them follow a pattern. The most you can say is that SBs are in a rut and don't innovate, but why should they when this strategy ( and it is a strategy ) works? They aren't relying on a single card but a combination of them, well that sounds to me like a strategy.
If you don't want to use the Marchioness, then I suggest you farm Bishop for his Technomage glasses.
But wait that takes a turn to use too, well in that case if you still don't choose to use a counter to an attack, then don't expect KI to provide a solution, when there's already a counter in the game.
If you know they will rush you, why not use Emmett's slow down de-buff? ( believe me, this works and its annoying as heck. )
Purge if used by hidden removing hidden is reasonable.
Purged used as removing hidden ( no matter what ) is unbalanced.
It's obvious to me that you don't wish to change your strategy to meet the demands of another class.
I do have Techno glasses, and it's pretty much useless against every class except for buckler and buck. Shroud at least gives me a better chance at winning late game, better against bucks as well. The boxes block emmet's sight and thus not able to use it. Yes, I could gunnery the boxes, but then all they have to do is fog and separate and that's it. Needless to say that fan can pretty much reach me even with a reduce.

Purge is not going to make too much of a difference. But this difference can mean the difference between a pirate dead or not.

I have changed my strategy many tins against buckler. Defensive, offensive, raise barricade. The only one that works is raise barricade if they fog round one, but then they just rush once you get into position. Privateers are forced into a fort spam position whenever they fight buckler because if they fort their companions then they lose protection on their pirate in the long run. We can't heal and shroud tank our way to win. Banner would be taken down. Scorpions seem to be our best option. And hides can just make the scorpions leave and outlast my forts. Absorb is a risky move to make, so we are extremely limited to what we can do.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Far from me the idea of defending swashbucklers as I agree with the OP but...

Barricade *does* work, you just have to use it properly...

I've had battles where swashbucklers just give up because they couldnt reach me, think about it :p

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
OK, obviously this is a thread to complain and dump on SBs, I'll leave to it, then.

Petty Officer
Nov 10, 2013
Guys if you dont know a counter let me tell you one for witch and privy just use scratch and if a buck is a using it just do hidden bucks can pull of almost anything and muskets just use knockback bombs this is all soltions to it

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
Silver Angel on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
Far from me the idea of defending swashbucklers as I agree with the OP but...

Barricade *does* work, you just have to use it properly...

I've had battles where swashbucklers just give up because they couldnt reach me, think about it :p
I've tried both methods sir. Trapping myself into the corner so they have to hit goro, and away, so i have a bit more breathing room. In most cases, they would have 2 units kill goro and have another 2 saved up. So, if you're saying how im using the barricades incorrectly, then Please explain your method.

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
OK, obviously this is a thread to complain and dump on SBs, I'll leave to it, then.
I'm not complaining, im trying to find a way where bucklers actually do something different. I wouldnt be making this thread just to complain. Ive never intended to say buckler is op or grt rid of fog, only a few things that would make it so that a privy isn't shut down Like they are then killed. If you dont like shortening length of the curse or being able to purge off hides, then maybe a bigger board would be better. But i only assume that bucks and bucklers will be complaining that the board is too big and they have no time to buff while hidden and that they die to WD to easily. Now, people are just complaining about how OP scratch is when really, he'a just trying to balance out the game.

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
gstack96 on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
Guys if you dont know a counter let me tell you one for witch and privy just use scratch and if a buck is a using it just do hidden bucks can pull of almost anything and muskets just use knockback bombs this is all soltions to it
Scratch is not a counter. Privy bombs are. However, once you scratch buff, they'll separate, and you can only scratch buff bomb one unit. Swashies have alert, so even with scratch, they'll only do around 300 damage keep in mind they are untargetable and so are immune after that. Moving right after another is a common way to go around bombs and fires as well.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009

First, I love that you at least suggested something unlike some other people do where they whine and complain until they're blue in the face. Kudos to you!

Now, the biggest thing I can suggest is to try to get into the other player's shoes. Now, I haven't done PvP in forever so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Think about what it means to be the buckler. While yes, they can wait out the fort, that costs precious time. Black Fog only lasts 5 turns, and Valor's Fortress lasts the same amount of time. As long as you put up the Fortress afterwards, then you'll be protected.

I can tell you personally that I DREAD when I see that flag go up. Whether it's Valor's Fortress or Valor's Armor, I shiver in my boots. I have done a hidden Assassin's Strike against somebody's Valor's Armor(this was before Old Scratch's buffs) and it was COMPLETELY absorbed. I wear the "usual" as you describe it, so my damage is high.

Did I have another Assassin's Strike. Yeah, but where am I? In the middle of enemy territory, out in the open, without hide. It's a scary place.

If you want my opinion(it probably means nothing but I'll give it anyway), I don't think that your first suggestion is all that bad. I think it could be implemented and I'd have no objections. In terms of the second one, I'm a little iffy to accept. While it does make us nearly immune to damage(AoEs are the worst), it's the only buff that goes away upon first use, which is where the balance comes into play.

If I had one more bit of advice, I do hear that Old Scratch is very effective here.

Anyways, I hope you have good luck in the future.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
I agree. My privateer this season went 29-2 which is pathetic that I can use strategies consistently and have a 90% win rate
this is also with Buck for example who I got to 26-0 with, the fact that you can fight any tier of a player and get a win rate like that just goes to show how stale the game has become. I feel like we need new power's and companions to spice this up a bit.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Celestialmaster147 on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
I'm not complaining, im trying to find a way where bucklers actually do something different. I wouldnt be making this thread just to complain. Ive never intended to say buckler is op or grt rid of fog, only a few things that would make it so that a privy isn't shut down Like they are then killed. If you dont like shortening length of the curse or being able to purge off hides, then maybe a bigger board would be better. But i only assume that bucks and bucklers will be complaining that the board is too big and they have no time to buff while hidden and that they die to WD to easily. Now, people are just complaining about how OP scratch is when really, he'a just trying to balance out the game.
The counters suggested to you will not be 100% effective 100% of the time, when you state ( notice I'm avoiding the word "complaint" ) that when you use Old Scratch's buff they scatter and you can only bomb one at a time.
Well, that's a response strategy and what you've done is actually good, because they will then have to re-group to attack your team. Which takes time and they don't have a lot of time 5 rds, 2 of which is taken to get to you.
Obviously the one to concentrate bombs on is the buckler and if you use Emmett's "slow-down", that buckler is sweating out the time factor of his/her hide.
Meanwhile what's your team doing?
Who are you generally using? How can they help you?
Fog isn't OP, there are measures in place that can remove the Hide early, depriving the buckler's team of that needed x2 damage to get past your forts or armor.
Raise barricade is very effective, Moo's Robes are still an option ( as a Privy, you have a good Will Stat, right? )
even 3 terror-cotta can cause a buckler some trouble.
Players are over-coming the "hide, purge, poison/curse" of bucklers, therefore a "nerf" to curse isn't necessary.
BTW, I wonder if you've met a buckler using Moo's Staff of Power? Double curse right there for the entire team without needing to approach, I'm quite surprised that no one is complaining ( oops, making a statement ) about this weapon.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
May I suggest that you read "Scratch'ing my head at ranked" for a buckler's view point on Privies with Old Scratch? Also read "How to beat swashbucklers as all class". These posts give useful advice in facing the swashbuckler.
I say again, why should SBs change their strategy if the other classes aren't changing theirs?

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
TechnomagePvP on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
I agree. My privateer this season went 29-2 which is pathetic that I can use strategies consistently and have a 90% win rate
this is also with Buck for example who I got to 26-0 with, the fact that you can fight any tier of a player and get a win rate like that just goes to show how stale the game has become. I feel like we need new power's and companions to spice this up a bit.
May I ask for some advice? The only losses that I've had were against buckler, and I've lost to several of them at that. I m currently gladiator, with the following gear and companion setup. I just started PvP this season and am currently wondering the best way to get around the time of curse.

Tower Hat
Tower Robe
Tower Boots
Pet:
grants rally, regroup, bladestorm, turn the tide, jobu's kiss, and tough (2 of them are completely useless for me)
Nef Staff
3 star banner
Sprocket key
Tower ring
scratch: improved mojo blast 3, mojo echo 3, hunter
goro: blade veng 3 relentless2
nausica: burst 2 double tap 1 quick adjust 1 and grit 2

Do you have any advice for me to improve against fog/curse? It would be greatly appreciated :D

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
The counters suggested to you will not be 100% effective 100% of the time, when you state ( notice I'm avoiding the word "complaint" ) that when you use Old Scratch's buff they scatter and you can only bomb one at a time.
Well, that's a response strategy and what you've done is actually good, because they will then have to re-group to attack your team. Which takes time and they don't have a lot of time 5 rds, 2 of which is taken to get to you.
Obviously the one to concentrate bombs on is the buckler and if you use Emmett's "slow-down", that buckler is sweating out the time factor of his/her hide.
Meanwhile what's your team doing?
Who are you generally using? How can they help you?
Fog isn't OP, there are measures in place that can remove the Hide early, depriving the buckler's team of that needed x2 damage to get past your forts or armor.
Raise barricade is very effective, Moo's Robes are still an option ( as a Privy, you have a good Will Stat, right? )
even 3 terror-cotta can cause a buckler some trouble.
Players are over-coming the "hide, purge, poison/curse" of bucklers, therefore a "nerf" to curse isn't necessary.
BTW, I wonder if you've met a buckler using Moo's Staff of Power? Double curse right there for the entire team without needing to approach, I'm quite surprised that no one is complaining ( oops, making a statement ) about this weapon.
3 rounds to buff and then hit. Emmet can't fully utilize his power. And in the case where they can't find fog, goro has been much more helpful for me, since he can just rush with nausica and with a crit buff hope to take down at least one unit. Raise barricade is helpful, but unless they play really risky it sin't much use in my experience. Bucklers only have one curse (phew) and no I haven't.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Celestialmaster147 on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
3 rounds to buff and then hit. Emmet can't fully utilize his power. And in the case where they can't find fog, goro has been much more helpful for me, since he can just rush with nausica and with a crit buff hope to take down at least one unit. Raise barricade is helpful, but unless they play really risky it sin't much use in my experience. Bucklers only have one curse (phew) and no I haven't.
You're lucky, then. The Staff of Power ( for SBs ) gives a power card: Vengeance Shroud - this is a full team non-heal curse for 5 rounds and can be used from anywhere on the battleboard. . The weapon, however, has a wimpy damage: 193, thus swashbucklers don't need to use it, I've only used it in the Tower and for the Nefarious-Five fight.
It's good that you're asking for solutions.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Celestialmaster147 on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
I've tried both methods sir. Trapping myself into the corner so they have to hit goro, and away, so i have a bit more breathing room. In most cases, they would have 2 units kill goro and have another 2 saved up. So, if you're saying how im using the barricades incorrectly, then Please explain your method.
That's pretty much it, except the one in front shouldnt be Goro but someone with first strike 3.

But yeah it only works if they use fog early, if they dont, their "strategy" is still in disarray because they need to poke the barricade.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
anecorbie on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
May I suggest that you read "Scratch'ing my head at ranked" for a buckler's view point on Privies with Old Scratch? Also read "How to beat swashbucklers as all class". These posts give useful advice in facing the swashbuckler.
I say again, why should SBs change their strategy if the other classes aren't changing theirs?
Because pvp revolve around swashbucklers, 75% if not more of people doing pvp are swashbucklers.

And we still cant find concrete counter. Say, why are there threads everywhere saying swash are OP, but not a single about other classes?

If that's not unbalanced, I dont know what it is...

Only a handful of experienced pvp'ers like Technomage can manage, the average just cant handle swashbucklers.

Personally I just gave up because I dont have the gear for it, and farming is.. yeah, forget it with the 0.001% drop rate.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Silver Angel on Apr 8, 2016 wrote:
Because pvp revolve around swashbucklers, 75% if not more of people doing pvp are swashbucklers.

And we still cant find concrete counter. Say, why are there threads everywhere saying swash are OP, but not a single about other classes?

Only a handful of experienced pvp'ers like Technomage can manage, the average just cant handle swashbucklers.

Personally I just gave up because I dont have the gear for it, and farming is.. yeah, forget it with the 0.001% drop rate.
"Concrete counter", "consistent", where have I heard these terms before? Oh yeah, right, during the "Fog makes Swashbucklers OP" controversy!
Now, PVP-ers are able to fight a hidden SB and there are fewer complaints about fog; this just tells me that metas are in development and that this too, will pass into dusty history of Ranked PVP.
There ARE counters, use them!
If you don't chose to farm for the gear, then that's your problem.
Why should KI make Ranked easy for the "average" PVP-er?
Champions win because, they have the gear and ( as I've observed from my champion friends ) they are dedicated and always training.
Its like entering the Olympics with "ok" equipment and only training once a month for a half hour - if you did that you wouldn't stand a chance. Would you then ask the Olympic committee to lower standards for "average" athletes?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Silver Angel on Apr 8, 2016 wrote:

I don't know why there aren't more posts about other classes when Buccaneers are at the top of their game doing horrendous damage and stacking shields.
And Old Scratch has certainly caused a lot of controversy in Ranked PVP or are you just disregarding those posts because it's not about SBs?
Consider many classes are using him ( not just WDs, but Muskets and Privies ) and using him with excellent results.
Frankly, I'm sick of all the whining about SBs when there are counters and strategies, but players aren't utilizing them and expect KI to give them a solution by knocking down one class!

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 8, 2016 wrote:
I don't know why there aren't more posts about other classes when Buccaneers are at the top of their game doing horrendous damage and stacking shields.
And Old Scratch has certainly caused a lot of controversy in Ranked PVP or are you just disregarding those posts because it's not about SBs?
Consider many classes are using him ( not just WDs, but Muskets and Privies ) and using him with excellent results.
Frankly, I'm sick of all the whining about SBs when there are counters and strategies, but players aren't utilizing them and expect KI to give them a solution by knocking down one class!
Staffy privy doesn't have any problem with a buck. I can either A) rush them first with goro and nausica or if i'm using emmet i can B) bomb the boxes and reduce. However, it's still a waste of a bomb, even if its a gunnery. Bucks can't double the damage of all their companions and make them un-targetable with companions. (I know I spelled something wrong ) Bucks can't shut down our healing.

Old Scratch buffs were added to the game to give more room. A witchdoctor or musket or another privy with Scratch is still easier to beat. It's just a game of whoever takes down the other scratch or nausica first. The post was never to talk about Scratch anyways.We all know that Scratch is OP, but before, it was insanely hard for a witch to make it to the top. Just as how it's hard for a musket to make it to the top with nausicas running rampant.

I have tried all the solutions. Although Emmet is much better when they could find fog, it was still hard to fully bring out his power. Maybe, KI could allow Emmet to place his power with boxes in the middle, but if you didn't destroy the boxes, then it would not activate, like "No Valid Target", so we could still use it round one. That way, I could bomb the boxes, and then Emmet could reduce haste that same turn, before they can separate. This would make it much better for us I feel, given that fan, the pirate, and nausica, and probably toro could all reach us as well during the 5 rounds of fog.