Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Reset Companion behaving poorly

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 02, 2008
After completing the Bonnie Anne Sniper promotion, I noticed that she was tagging enemies at 5 square ranges on Overwatch. When she hit 40, I reset her so that I could change up her Abilities. Ever since doing this IF her Overwatch fires, it's when enemies reach 2 square range like when I first gave her Overwatch earlier in her career. Having just seen the same behavior on one of my other companions, I'm wondering if reset is removing promotion 'upgrades' and failing to restore them.

I still have the correct number of Epics and Abilities added to these guys but their effectiveness has suddenly dropped. I'm afraid to reset anyone else. Has anyone else noticed similar issues?

Administrator
Thanks for reporting! We will investigate this.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Any further news on this issue? I'm reluctant to retrain crew until there is some news about this.

Administrator
If I understand the root of the issue, this is actually a bug with Overwatch 2 and 3. The range for Overwatch 2 and 3 is five squares, and the range for Overwatch 1 is two squares. Ratbeard reviewed this thread and noted that in an upcoming update to the game we will change the rules so that the range on Overwatch 2 and 3 is lowered to two squares instead of five -- this will make the talent more useful in more situations.

Ensign
Jan 22, 2011
Wait, One Eyed Jack. Shouldn't it be the opposite. Because. that practically makes overwatch useless to upgrade. I think, the more overwatches you purchase for a companion the longer the distance should expand. That's just my 2 cents anyways

Administrator
Two words: small battleboards.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
Two words: small battleboards.
Except for those battles we have where it takes three turns before you hear the first clash of swords.

Ensign
Aug 02, 2008
Thanks for the follow up. I hadn't considered this being an Overwatch 2 or 3 issue because I'd never gone higher than Overwatch 1. I'm glad Ratbeard was able to run this down, though I don't recall giving Bonnie Overwatch 2 when I posted this originally. I'll trust the programmer if not the pirate.

As far as nerfing Overwatch 2 and 3, I could see it being useful to shorten the range, particularly for smaller battlefields, but I rather like the range boosts. Could we negotiate a compromise of range 3 for OW2 and range 4 for OW3?

With the shortened range, I've discovered my musketeers are more effective running and overwatching than standing and trading standard shots. Is that emergent behavior or is that the intent of the range change?

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
It does sound like it will add more movement to the game and a reason to move musketeers closer to the action.