Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

My personal take on the classes of Pirate101

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 21, 2009
I just wanted to compare notes with other expierienced pirate101 players and get/give some tips...

Buccaneer: is a fairly well balanced class over all but tends to lean more toward damage more often than not.

Swashbuckler: Meant to get in, do tons of damage and get out with amazing speed, yet they lack any good defenses. They also lack the ability to do great damage at times, but they make up for it with speed, agility, and, most of all, poison.

Musketeer: Definitely not meant to solo much of anything, if the enemy gets too close they are doomed.

Privateer: an extremely great support class, while not very strong on their own they can be quite a game-changer in battle with other players and/or great companions.

Witch-doctor: this class can be pretty over-powering if used correctly. they have spells of all varieties, but tend to be rather selfish. they can do great in both ranged and close combat if they know what they are doing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
West DeathTalon on Jan 2, 2014 wrote:
I just wanted to compare notes with other expierienced pirate101 players and get/give some tips...

Buccaneer: is a fairly well balanced class over all but tends to lean more toward damage more often than not.

Swashbuckler: Meant to get in, do tons of damage and get out with amazing speed, yet they lack any good defenses. They also lack the ability to do great damage at times, but they make up for it with speed, agility, and, most of all, poison.

Musketeer: Definitely not meant to solo much of anything, if the enemy gets too close they are doomed.

Privateer: an extremely great support class, while not very strong on their own they can be quite a game-changer in battle with other players and/or great companions.

Witch-doctor: this class can be pretty over-powering if used correctly. they have spells of all varieties, but tend to be rather selfish. they can do great in both ranged and close combat if they know what they are doing.
Interesting but I have a few thoughts to add:
My musketeer has soloed almost the whole game and had a blast doing it. (Pun totally intended)
My witchdoctor is not selfish at all, she is always looking out for her crew or helpers. After all her name is: Merciful Christina.
My privateer has farmed for gear that makes her quite the threat if she chooses to use them. Most of the time she is boosting all or healing but if there is time, she can take them out with the best of them.

I guess it just depends more on the pirate than just the class.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
My personal take to your take:

Buccaneer: I lean towards them being known for taking damage, rather than dishing it out. However, they still pack a punch without the use of many powers.

Swashbucklers: I don't know about swashbucklers "getting out" with speed. Darkness can be applied without leaving the area. Powers that defeat the effects of hidden can't always necessarily be "escaped with distance." Also, I consider swashbucklers to be the most damaging class in the game (and with variety too).

Musketeers: I agree with Chrissy, a musketeer can solo quite efficiently. However, they are a ranged class and their true power lies in keeping their target within range, but out of their target's. Simply the best AOE class in the game.

Privateers: As you stated, they can buff and do it like no other class.

Witchdoctors: I wouldn't consider them selfish either. Sure, they can't heal others with their drains, but their Juju and Raven's spells are great buffs. I consider them a crowd control class. Too many enemy opponents, summon some minions as a distraction or turn one of them against the others. Too many buffs, purge magic. They can do decent damage too (mojo, dots & blades). A little bit of everything (except tanking).

Ensign
Nov 21, 2009
hmm... ty I had forgotten about the witchdoctor's powerups and I guess I just dont know how to se the musketeer!

Captain
May 13, 2011
um, no. we bucs have monster weapons, but our damage isnt really that high. i usually outlive my enemies rather than killing them quickly

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
Sneaky George Quar... on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
um, no. we bucs have monster weapons, but our damage isnt really that high. i usually outlive my enemies rather than killing them quickly
THat is was were supposed to do.

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
West DeathTalon on Jan 2, 2014 wrote:

:and that is why sarah is the most underatted companion the only thing seriously people swashbucklers mainly do hit and run that's the main point of them.