Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Say what you will about the Armada...

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Okay, they are power-mad, immoral, and evil. But you must admit, the Armada sure are snappy dressers!

I was helping a friend defeat Rooke today, and finding myself distracted by the graceful snapping of Rooke's black wool cape, edged with gold braid. And yes, underneath that fancy armor of his, he wears red velvet (! yep, the artistic texture suggested that to me) breeches trimmed with gold, with a matching long velvet waistcoat adorned with gold embroidery. Naturally, I had already noticed his commanding hat over a formal, curled white wig. Definitely in a contest with Deacon (I have earlier commented upon his elegant 18th C. style gentleman's suit) for sartorial magnificence.

Needless to say, I am very interested in seeing Kane's magnificence in clothing. And especially, I look forward to seeing the gown and accessories of the Lady Elite! I expect I shall be envious!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
Okay, they are power-mad, immoral, and evil. But you must admit, the Armada sure are snappy dressers!

I was helping a friend defeat Rooke today, and finding myself distracted by the graceful snapping of Rooke's black wool cape, edged with gold braid. And yes, underneath that fancy armor of his, he wears red velvet (! yep, the artistic texture suggested that to me) breeches trimmed with gold, with a matching long velvet waistcoat adorned with gold embroidery. Naturally, I had already noticed his commanding hat over a formal, curled white wig. Definitely in a contest with Deacon (I have earlier commented upon his elegant 18th C. style gentleman's suit) for sartorial magnificence.

Needless to say, I am very interested in seeing Kane's magnificence in clothing. And especially, I look forward to seeing the gown and accessories of the Lady Elite! I expect I shall be envious!
Please, Anne, we value you very much as a comrade, do not allow yourself to be so distracted by the Armada's dazzeling fashion sense that you forget to first strike or riposte.
When I was in Beachhead I found myself blown away by the aesthic style shown in it's design, very Style Moderne in concept. But I believe that this is because the Toymaker ( possibly because he is Valencian ) gave them that artistic style, it is not inheirant in their nature to be creative.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012

I unyarred you so I could yarr you twice!

I agree,and when I get back home,I will make a brief analysis of their attire....especially Bishop's.I LOVE BISHOP!!!I also HATE BISHOP!!!

Yeah,mixed feelings.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I bet the Lady elite dresses like Queen Elizabeth. It will be interesting to see.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
Seemingly this is a say what you want about the Armada, I guess I'll say they need a major weapon improvement. All they use are boring ol' spark blasters and weird long axes. I mean, who wields those! Certainly of course the Armada, but really, single fire only spark blasters that malfunctions almost every time they try and do critical hits? And I don't think they dress that fancy. Too many robot parts that I still can see even when I close me eyes.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
They do have nice togs. Until recently, my musketeer "stitched" virtually all of his shooty weapons into Armada muskets.

I think on Halloween we should all be able to run about in our Monquiston "diplomacy" outfit, our Monquiston disguise or our Armada disguise.

-Indigo

Petty Officer
Apr 21, 2012
Hmm, I guess I never noticed considering they've always been trying to kill me, maybe I should take a break from fighting them long enough to appreciate their fashion choices.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Phule:
Phule is as mad as a hatter.And he embraces this madness openly.What's interesting,however is his use of colors,which I will point out firstly.He's the only Elite,who's allowed to have one black boot and one white boot.The black side is the one that has the white boot,the white side is the one that has the black boot.the White side is the one that has the black sleeve,the black side is the one that has the white sleeve.And then there's his blue-red clothes,I like it a lot.For starters,one side is red with blue stripes,the other blue with white stripes.And he continues to play with these 4 colors until they all coil up around his head.If anyone payed an unhealthy amount of attention to his clothes,they would notice something interesting.His mischevious,white side,is the only one dressed in an Arlequin style outfit.The white side is the jester.And this can be seen,especially when he consistently praises us,is tempted to cause discord and such.We notice his black side is cold and calculating,and this is reflected in it's outfit,which is far more...evil buisness man,than his crazy jester one.Finally,that big golden badge,with a gear on it(representing the Armada),that seems to be holding some kind of cape,though I haven't seen him close enough to know for sure.His hat is also fun,bells!And serves as an inversion of the colors compared to his cape and the rest of his outfit.Overall,Blind Mew,one of the best ''visions'' you've written yet!!!!

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Bishop
Say what you want about him,but I think he's awesome.I am very biased towards beaked carneval masks,considering I own,5 of them.Firstly,though,a post from Mew:
''As for Bishop and his nose, he's based on the Plague Doctor mask from the Venetian Comedia del Arte masks. Another poster gave a great explanation for why the masks in our world look that way. We based all the Elite's faces on these masks.''

His plague doctor mask is certainly his more visible feature.He's hunchback,sure.His hat is an amazing looking stovepipe,that I want not just in game,but in real life too!It's red with a golden trim.As you may have noticed,his ''skin'' is like most clockworks,white.Then,he seems to have something black,wrapping his entire body,except his hands and his mask,but also seems to keep his mask in place.Over this black thing,he has his red outfit with the golden trim.His staff is made of metal and meant to match his outfit,as it is in a golden color.I also wonder what he's doing when he turns the nob on it...
Anyways,I assume that his goggles can be removed,and beneath them would be normal Armada holes.Like Phule,he too has a medallion showing his devotion to the Armada,this one in the form of a necklace,and not a cape holding thingamajig.He has a very interesting belt,and as CdeWinter pointed out,a wind up key.I also love the way he walks,it just adds on to the creepiness of him.Overall,he looks epic,which is why I'm gonna dress up as him for the next halloween party,assuming farming him doesn't kill me.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Deacon
Of it all,it's deacon's robe I want most.Firstly,though,he is a spymaster.He has a black cape,linked to a trenchcoat,with beautiful coloration and a matching hat.Like Bishop and Phule,Deacon has a medallion showing his devotion to the Armada,or a badge showing his authority(obviously,it could be both.)Deacon has an interesting pair of shoes,matching the rest of the outfit.What impresses me most about him,though,is his coloration:Black with a yellow trim.While it doesn't suit me much,it's perfect for Deacon.Also,notice how Deacon never ever moves.I'm sure Kingsisle never even made an animation for his walking,because everywhere we saw him,he stood there.When we finally caught him,he stayed in one position,and shot from across the battleboard.I also like his cane a lot.But overall,I loved dancing on his remains .

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Until we meet them,I'd prefer not to comment on Kane and his mechanical mistress.

Rooke
He looks like he's ready to fight a war or something!Oh wait...
Anyways,his coloration matches Bishop very well,something extremely peculiar.He has a knight like appearance,and a hat with an amazing lining,it looks even better than Deacon's hat!(though Bishop's always wins.)

Like all of the above,Rooke has an Armada badge on his gauntlet.His giant axe is impressive,but I just love his shield,it seems to radiate ''I hate you''.It's red with a golden trim,sound familiar?And his mask is the same.Sorry,don't have a lot of Rooke related thoughts.Maybe someday.

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Yes Anne, it seems as if the Armada becomes better dressed we do as the game wears on. With each new world we have to update our own wardrobe in that world's style - no matter how unfashionable it may be. The lovely 'pirate' style of Skull Island is lost to us without stitching. It would be nice if KI offered us some style choices as our characters progress.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm hoping the Lady Elite ( Dame ) will drop her riding habit, although I enjoy being a pirate and the freedom trousers give me, sometimes I just want to remind myself that I'm a girl! I long for a pretty frock, and Dame seems to have a tasteful ensemble ( I wonder what color it will be? ) See, I'm not even concerned about her weapon!

Commodore
May 31, 2009

Well, I have to say that I haven't really admired any of their outfits besides the fight with Deacon. I thought, "Ooh, fancy! Anyway, TIME TO DESTROY!!" Then I sort of lost myself and went all "Hulk Smash!" on the clockworks, which is somewhat ironic since I'm a Swashbuckler. I came back to myself when the treasure chests popped up, and my pirate side took over again. I haven't fought Rooke or Bishop yet, so I'll pay more attention to their attire when I battle them.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
I for one hope that Kane drops his tunic. (Is that what it is? I'm confused as to if it's a tunic or an overcoat. I never was the fashion expert. ) I think it would look pretty darn awesome and I'd love to see a girl's version of it, maybe one that looked like it did during the test realm when it came down to around the knee area and had pants under it. I can picture my pirate wearing something like that.

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
The name of this topic sounds like a song. Oh wait it is lyrics from one. "Say what you wanna say, and let the words fall out".

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I have now fought Bishop, and sort of fought Rooke (I was helping with some farming) and I have to agree now, they do dress up pretty fancy! Bishop is my favorite, and I wish that he'd drop his mask. I want to get Rooke's stuff too, but it certainly wouldn't benefit my Swashbuckler any!

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jul 26, 2014 wrote:
I have now fought Bishop, and sort of fought Rooke (I was helping with some farming) and I have to agree now, they do dress up pretty fancy! Bishop is my favorite, and I wish that he'd drop his mask. I want to get Rooke's stuff too, but it certainly wouldn't benefit my Swashbuckler any!
Thank you!
Beaked masks have always been my favorite kind of carnival mask...

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
anecorbie on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
Please, Anne, we value you very much as a comrade, do not allow yourself to be so distracted by the Armada's dazzeling fashion sense that you forget to first strike or riposte.
When I was in Beachhead I found myself blown away by the aesthic style shown in it's design, very Style Moderne in concept. But I believe that this is because the Toymaker ( possibly because he is Valencian ) gave them that artistic style, it is not inheirant in their nature to be creative.
Thank you Esperanza -- I guess that is rather a fatal flaw of mine to be distracted by the enemies' gorgeous clothing or brilliant architecture. Indeed, I have been scolded by Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard about this tendency, but it is hard to shake, even after a few hard knocks to the head from said enemies!

Yes, Beachhead was also beautiful... though I wonder if it isn't in the Armada's nature (of Kane and the Elites, anyway) to be creative. It would be in keeping with their rather fey nature not to be able to create (in folklore, the fairies often imitate humans because they cannot invent true ideas of their own). But Bishop, in boasting of the magnificent fortress of Beachhead, refers to it not only as a devastating military weapon, but also the 'pinnacle of Armada artistry', a phrase I found to be quite interesting. Certainly they have been ruthless in destroying the art and culture of Valencia (and probably Skull Island too) as they uncaringly destroy in order to get what they want. Or is it that they believe all other artistic expression is greatly inferior to their own, and thus should be wiped out as proof of its unworthiness?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Jul 28, 2014 wrote:
Thank you Esperanza -- I guess that is rather a fatal flaw of mine to be distracted by the enemies' gorgeous clothing or brilliant architecture. Indeed, I have been scolded by Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard about this tendency, but it is hard to shake, even after a few hard knocks to the head from said enemies!

Yes, Beachhead was also beautiful... though I wonder if it isn't in the Armada's nature (of Kane and the Elites, anyway) to be creative. It would be in keeping with their rather fey nature not to be able to create (in folklore, the fairies often imitate humans because they cannot invent true ideas of their own). But Bishop, in boasting of the magnificent fortress of Beachhead, refers to it not only as a devastating military weapon, but also the 'pinnacle of Armada artistry', a phrase I found to be quite interesting. Certainly they have been ruthless in destroying the art and culture of Valencia (and probably Skull Island too) as they uncaringly destroy in order to get what they want. Or is it that they believe all other artistic expression is greatly inferior to their own, and thus should be wiped out as proof of its unworthiness?
But doesn't this beg the question of why the Toymaker should endow an aesthetic sense on automatons created solely for the purpose of war?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on Jul 28, 2014 wrote:
But doesn't this beg the question of why the Toymaker should endow an aesthetic sense on automatons created solely for the purpose of war?
Hmm, that may have come later once they started creating themselves.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
anecorbie on Jul 28, 2014 wrote:
Perhaps the creative element would help them come up with unexpected battle plans to lead them and their allies to victory?

Ensign
Aug 10, 2011
I literally love any post devoted to armada fashion. I kno I'm rather late finding this, but it was so descriptive and now I love the ramada even more// especially with my armada cosplay projects coming up
Dark Gillian Quincy the armada obsessor

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Dark Gillian Quinc... on Sep 26, 2014 wrote:
I literally love any post devoted to armada fashion. I kno I'm rather late finding this, but it was so descriptive and now I love the ramada even more// especially with my armada cosplay projects coming up
Dark Gillian Quincy the armada obsessor
You cosplay? Awesome! Which character are you making?

Ensign
Aug 10, 2011
anecorbie on Sep 26, 2014 wrote:
You cosplay? Awesome! Which character are you making?
ahh thank you!! My current project is Deacon, but to start out I might go with a simple Marine or Fusilier or something along those lines// or the other way around, I'm not sure yet