Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Broadside Combat

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 06, 2011
Ever been in Broadside Combat? I'm pretty sure you've been in at least one fight on ships. The big
problem, however, is that ships can come out of nowhere, wandering around the area patrolling the way so no pirates escape. Yeah, they just slowly wander the place and when they get close enough that you can see their name clearly, they decide to join in with the one already attacking you and get your boat to below 50% and have you boarded. It probably matches the time of pirates when their friends come and help them defeat their enemy, but sometimes I think, "Why me?" or that there should be something that prevents this from happening.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
KatherineDragonBla... on Nov 19, 2014 wrote:
Ever been in Broadside Combat? I'm pretty sure you've been in at least one fight on ships. The big
problem, however, is that ships can come out of nowhere, wandering around the area patrolling the way so no pirates escape. Yeah, they just slowly wander the place and when they get close enough that you can see their name clearly, they decide to join in with the one already attacking you and get your boat to below 50% and have you boarded. It probably matches the time of pirates when their friends come and help them defeat their enemy, but sometimes I think, "Why me?" or that there should be something that prevents this from happening.
Hi Katherine, Welcome to the message boards.
This is where we pirates need to put on our sneak. They call us sneaky pirates for good reason.
You need to find a vulnerable target. Look along the edge of their paths and pick off the stragglers and keep them between you and any nearby help. Stay far enough away that you target does not change to red. That seems to assist them in their SOS calls to their fellow fleet. Be sneaky and shoot from afar and it should go MUCH easier. Also, if you DO get surprised, it is no shame to engage in a tactical retreat and heal back up. If you ARE under attack and see that you are going to get boarded by one of them, get close to the one you have been damaging. Their lives will be already weakened by your damage before the deck fight even starts and you will have a huge advantage.
Another trick to use is if the ship you are fighting gets your life too low and you go into the dreaded yellow zone, as long as the way is clear, just circle the ship you are finishing off. He cannot board you while you are behind him. Just keep going in a circle and force him to follow around and you will get the time you need to finish the job.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
I hate this the MOST about broadside combat. I just absolutely despise it! It really happens in like Cool Ranch and that really gets on my nerves.

Shibbly Bloo!

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Had that problem with ships in Monquista, they were all so close to each other xd same with some other world ships, ships spawning in attack range isn't the only problem I think, what about enemies spawning and taking you to battle right after you have completed a quest but was stopped by the dialogue.

Lieutenant
May 06, 2011
TheHoodooQueen on Nov 19, 2014 wrote:
I hate this the MOST about broadside combat. I just absolutely despise it! It really happens in like Cool Ranch and that really gets on my nerves.

Shibbly Bloo!
Ha, it happens to me in Cool Ranch too! XD

Ensign
Feb 17, 2013
One trick I use to avoid being surrounded is to stay by the wind lane. if you get the attention of one ship they will follow you to a certain extent.

What I do is get the attention of one near a wind lane with an initial attack and then back up toward the wind lane, and away from the rest of their friends. During the time you're backing up they will be too far to attack you but still follow you, at the same time your attack timer is being refreshed as well . Now, not only will you have the advantage in damage, you'll also be singling them out so their friends can't help.

But if their ship is still too powerful and your damage drops below 50%, then, as Chrissy Th'Blesser mentioned, circling around them is your best option; they can't board you if they can't get near you . They need to be in the red zone to board you.

ALSO, do not forget, you CAN use your advanced companions to raise your nautical level by sending them on a "Sailin" quest!

Hope that helps!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Eh, any type of combat be ok wit me.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan