Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A Particularly Lovely Quest

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
There are so many well-done quests in Pirate101 that perhaps it is a bit unfair to single one out, but... I'm going to anyway, with Wing Chun's personal quest, 'South Wind Rising' which I just got to experience with my musketeer, Brave Maria Mitchell.

First of all, it is tightly plotted, rounded with some lovely mysticism and featuring decidedly wicked foes with incisive commentary. Another thing I particularly liked is the gentle NPC monk, evidently the leader of a monastery (though the others evidently are somewhere else absorbed in prayer and meditation), is female (Yagi Sonoda). It is nice to work with some female leaders too.

The artwork is especially lovely, such as the secret chamber under the Temple (oo!), the marvelous phoenix egg itself (which I took several minutes just to look at and admire), the transformation of the dying, bare twigs to cherry trees shimmering in the wind -- and that was a lovely animation in itself. Indeed, to see from the Temple the vista in the distance of the blazing brazier in front of the great stone Moodha statue on the hill, the greater hills behind it, while you stand admiring the view with cherry blossoms gently falling all around -- that is beautifully evocative all in itself.

And then there is the end of the quest itself, which in the way of so many good stories answers all the questions it should -- and poses intriguing new ones. What does Moo Manchu mean when he says the Egg has served its purpose? Well, that certainly makes me uneasy!

All around, a most delightful and satisfying experience!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Dec 5, 2014 wrote:
There are so many well-done quests in Pirate101 that perhaps it is a bit unfair to single one out, but... I'm going to anyway, with Wing Chun's personal quest, 'South Wind Rising' which I just got to experience with my musketeer, Brave Maria Mitchell.

First of all, it is tightly plotted, rounded with some lovely mysticism and featuring decidedly wicked foes with incisive commentary. Another thing I particularly liked is the gentle NPC monk, evidently the leader of a monastery (though the others evidently are somewhere else absorbed in prayer and meditation), is female (Yagi Sonoda). It is nice to work with some female leaders too.

The artwork is especially lovely, such as the secret chamber under the Temple (oo!), the marvelous phoenix egg itself (which I took several minutes just to look at and admire), the transformation of the dying, bare twigs to cherry trees shimmering in the wind -- and that was a lovely animation in itself. Indeed, to see from the Temple the vista in the distance of the blazing brazier in front of the great stone Moodha statue on the hill, the greater hills behind it, while you stand admiring the view with cherry blossoms gently falling all around -- that is beautifully evocative all in itself.

And then there is the end of the quest itself, which in the way of so many good stories answers all the questions it should -- and poses intriguing new ones. What does Moo Manchu mean when he says the Egg has served its purpose? Well, that certainly makes me uneasy!

All around, a most delightful and satisfying experience!
I am in full agreement with ya here Anne. I really enjoyed that one too. I was entranced with the cherry blossoms too and wished I could to that for all my pirates but I understand why not as it makes that class special. Really well written and thank you so much for taking my mind of a delightful revisit of that wonderful quest.