Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Marleybonian Society

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Oct 24, 2012
Hi everyone! I wanted to start a conversation on the Society of Marleybone!

Marleybone is absolutely my favourite world and it absolutely fascinates me! We get quite a few clues from quest dialogue and the surrounding world on Society in Marleybone and Politics, and I really wanted to discuss those clues with some people, to try and get a better understanding of Marleybone, using clues from P101 and W101.

I want to start talking about the 3 main settlements that we've seen in Marleybone: The Capital City (I'm going to call it Barkingham for the purpose of this post, but that's almost certainly (99.99%) wrong!), The Isle of Dogs and The Isle of Fetch. I wanted to make a comment of the wealth and purpose on each city:

Barkingham (Not actual name): The Capital City. Mostly residential as shown by the vast number of houses in the city. Probably quite a poor city, and I'm willing to bet that 80% of the city's residents are quite poor, as shown by the tightly packed, brick terraced housing, which was common in poor towns in England and Wales in the 19th Century. Probably the home of most of Marleybone's labourers.

The Isle of Dogs: The main industrial and port city in Marleybone, as shown by the fact that there are quite a few factories and warehouses dotted about, some of which are used as dungeons, and also shown by the large shipyard. The large Prison also suggest the city is used for practical purposes. The industral use is shown again by the large number of radicals and revolutionaries in the City, which suggests lots of low paid industrial jobs. However, despite this, it seems to me that it's a fairly middle-class city, which can be seen by the fact all of the houses are old thatched cottages and not terraced houses, which would suggest that the reason behind all of the radicals is revenge on the middle class residents of the city. Only middle-class people in 19th Century Britain could live in nice cottages. There is also quite a few dogs in the city wearing fancy clothes, which poor dogs could not afford. All of this suggests that labourers travel to the factories of the Island by boat from "Barkingham." I'd suggest that 65%-75% of the residents are middle class. I'd say 2% are upper class, and so 23%-33% of the city's residents are poor.

The Isle of Fetch: Very obviously a tourist resort as shown by the large pier, Ferris wheel, large hotel and numerous shops. This suggests to me that the majority of the houses would be inhabited by middle-class and upper-class local business owners and tourists and that only about 20% of the islands population would be permanent residents. I would guess that between 60%-85% of the city's buildings are holiday rentals or second homes for upper-class tourists. The 15%-40%, I would guess, either own businesses or work in the tourist industry.

If you have things you like to talk about / anything you might want me to investigate post it!
(Note - Everything above is supposition. All figures are estimated guesses!)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Doctor Who Fan on Jul 9, 2015 wrote:

Marleybone is absolutely my favourite world and it absolutely fascinates me! We get quite a few clues from quest dialogue and the surrounding world on Society in Marleybone and Politics, and I really wanted to discuss those clues with some people, to try and get a better understanding of Marleybone, using clues from P101 and W101.

I want to start talking about the 3 main settlements that we've seen in Marleybone: The Capital City (I'm going to call it Barkingham for the purpose of this post, but that's almost certainly (99.99%) wrong!), The Isle of Dogs and The Isle of Fetch. I wanted to make a comment of the wealth and purpose on each city:

Barkingham (Not actual name): The Capital City. Mostly residential as shown by the vast number of houses in the city. Probably quite a poor city, and I'm willing to bet that 80% of the city's residents are quite poor, as shown by the tightly packed, brick terraced housing, which was common in poor towns in England and Wales in the 19th Century. Probably the home of most of Marleybone's labourers.

The Isle of Dogs: The main industrial and port city in Marleybone, as shown by the fact that there are quite a few factories and warehouses dotted about, some of which are used as dungeons, and also shown by the large shipyard. The large Prison also suggest the city is used for practical purposes. The industral use is shown again by the large number of radicals and revolutionaries in the City, which suggests lots of low paid industrial jobs. However, despite this, it seems to me that it's a fairly middle-class city, which can be seen by the fact all of the houses are old thatched cottages and not terraced houses, which would suggest that the reason behind all of the radicals is revenge on the middle class residents of the city. Only middle-class people in 19th Century Britain could live in nice cottages. There is also quite a few dogs in the city wearing fancy clothes, which poor dogs could not afford. All of this suggests that labourers travel to the factories of the Island by boat from "Barkingham." I'd suggest that 65%-75% of the residents are middle class. I'd say 2% are upper class, and so 23%-33% of the city's residents are poor.

The Isle of Fetch: Very obviously a tourist resort as shown by the large pier, Ferris wheel, large hotel and numerous shops. This suggests to me that the majority of the houses would be inhabited by middle-class and upper-class local business owners and tourists and that only about 20% of the islands population would be permanent residents. I would guess that between 60%-85% of the city's buildings are holiday rentals or second homes for upper-class tourists. The 15%-40%, I would guess, either own businesses or work in the tourist industry.

If you have things you like to talk about / anything you might want me to investigate post it!
The middle class people of Dickensian/Victorian England ( which is what Marleybone is based on ) Lived in cottages surrounded by plots of land, What I see in the Isle of Dogs tells me its a slum area, what used to be a nice area has slowly drifted down the social scale.
Scrooge ( for example ) is living in a nicer home than the surrounding area, but all signs point to the fact that the neighborhood is crumbling. Look at the orphanage, Old Boz ( btw that was a nickname for Dickens himself ).
Look at the squalor where we find Oliver Twist, and McCavities Attic, obviously this neighborhood was once much nicer, but now it just says "trade" class to me.
The few nicely dressed dogs we see are out numbered by the poor orphans, and radicals wondering around.
Barkley Square is the upper class neighborhood.

Ensign
Jan 19, 2014
Doctor Who Fan on Jul 9, 2015 wrote:

IKR!!! Marleybone Rules!