Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirate Clockworks - Suggestion for Ratbeard

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This idea has grown out of the many requests for an Armada companion. Why not let us craft our own clockwork companions!
NOTE: These clockworks will not resemble Armada clockworks in any way except for the animations. Their form will be based on the mannequin currently in use in W101.
Requirements:
I think it would be a good idea if the recipe for these clockworks were available in the Black Market for scrip. Think about it, what could be more clandestine, illicit or illegal than making a clockwork for a pirate!?
3 classes should be available since the animations for them are in existence -
Pirate Clockwork musketeer ( male mannequin )
Prate Clockwork buccaneer ( male mannequin )
Pirate Clockwork swashbuckler ( female mannequin )
To make these clockworks, the crafter must have at least a Master badge in crafting. The amount of scrip needed to purchase the recipe should be in the middle range ( 5,000 - 10,000 ) scrip.
Recipe suggestions:
1. Since Armada enemies drop their weapons, I think it would be nice to include these weapons as part of the recipe. The iniculus, bulwark and Battle Angel set. Their stats will not apply to the finished clockwork.
2. A set of Skull Island clothes at the 0 level rank - this will allow some customization in appearance. Their stats will not apply to the finished clockwork.
3. Doubloons ( this will be equal to the Treasure cards used in recipes in W101 )
examples: accuracy & agility for the , strength & armor for the and dodge & movement for the .
And other reagents which may be available when crafting makes its appearance.
Other thoughts:
As I don't see the Pirate Clockwork as a true Battle Angel, it won't have wings, but will use the same march step of the buccaneer for moving around,
Conclusion:
The advantage of my idea is that it preserves the "faceless" enemy threat of the Armada and gives players what they have been asking for in a challenging, game play way.
Feel free to disagree, ask questions, or make suggestions to improve this idea.
P.S. How I wish I could attend a production meeting to make a presentation and "pitch" this idea to KingsIsle!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
anecorbie on Feb 1, 2016 wrote:
This idea has grown out of the many requests for an Armada companion. Why not let us craft our own clockwork companions!
NOTE: These clockworks will not resemble Armada clockworks in any way except for the animations. Their form will be based on the mannequin currently in use in W101.
Requirements:
I think it would be a good idea if the recipe for these clockworks were available in the Black Market for scrip. Think about it, what could be more clandestine, illicit or illegal than making a clockwork for a pirate!?
To make these clockworks, the crafter must have at least a Master badge in crafting. The amount of scrip needed to purchase the recipe should be in the middle range ( 5,000 - 10,000 ) scrip.
Recipe suggestions:
1. Since Armada enemies drop their weapons, I think it would be nice to include these weapons as part of the recipe. The iniculus, bulwark and Battle Angel set. Their stats will not apply to the finished clockwork.
2. A set of Skull Island clothes at the 0 level rank - this will allow some customization in appearance. Their stats will not apply to the finished clockwork.
3. Doubloons ( this will be equal to the Treasure cards used in recipes in W101 )
examples: accuracy & agility for the , strength & armor for the and dodge & movement for the .
Other thoughts:
As I don't see the Pirate Clockwork as a true Battle Angel, it won't have wings, but will use the same march step of the buccaneer for moving around,
Conclusion:
The advantage of my idea is that it preserves the "faceless" enemy threat of the Armada and gives players what they have been asking for in a challenging, game play way.
P.S. How I wish I could attend a production meeting to make a presentation and "pitch" this idea to KingsIsle!
Other thoughts, I believe it may be a good idea to limit the number of clockworks the player can make: only one per class, since we never recruit more than one companion of a type. ( Example: no player can recruit two Sergeant Shepherds. ) So there will be NO clockwork armies invading Skull Island.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
Requirements:
Recipe suggestions:
Other thoughts:
Conclusion:
This is assuming that crafting becomes a thing in Pirate101 of course. This may take a while. Good idea though.

The Grin Reaper

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Grin Reaper on Feb 1, 2016 wrote:
This is assuming that crafting becomes a thing in Pirate101 of course. This may take a while. Good idea though.

The Grin Reaper
I have the post where Ratbeard confirms that crafting is coming to Pirate101: check out "horrible boss rewards" where he says bosses may drop reagents in the future and my own post: "Questions for Ratbeard re: crafting".

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Powers and Promotion:
If this idea has merit, then the KI developers will decide how powerful and what powers these clockworks should have. But since this is my post, I'm going to put forward my thoughts:
These clockworks should be at least as powerful as the Kraken Skulls Companion's "twins": Pepe De Torteau, that Sloth guy ( I don't know his name ) and Lucy Sterling.
I believe that they should have promotions, also. For these reasons:
The player will be putting a lot of time and effort to craft these companions - getting the necessary craft levels, gathering scrip as well as getting the reagents together.
A weak companion without promotions will not entice anyone to make them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Names:
I think a random name from the Armada name list would be appropriate.
Example:
Esperanza Devereaux's
Custos Novus
( rose symbol ) Clockwork fencer

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 3, 2016 wrote:
Names:
I think a random name from the Armada name list would be appropriate.
Example:
Esperanza Devereaux's
Custos Novus
( rose symbol ) Clockwork fencer
Great idea! I am especially anxious to see how Crafting in Pirate101 will differ from Wizard101. Although, a crafted Companion should probably have a new random name generator -- akin to the Armada, but different -- stick with the Latin words, but more helping-oriented. Here are a few I found:

amminister, amministri, OR administer, administri = assistant, helper, supporter; one at hand to help, attendant;
[code]paraclitus, paracliti OR paracletus, paracleti = advocate, defender, protector, helper;[/code] [code]auxiliator, auxiliatoris = helper, one who gives aid; aide, assistant.[/code] [code][/code]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Feb 3, 2016 wrote:
Great idea! I am especially anxious to see how Crafting in Pirate101 will differ from Wizard101. Although, a crafted Companion should probably have a new random name generator -- akin to the Armada, but different -- stick with the Latin words, but more helping-oriented. Here are a few I found:

amminister, amministri, OR administer, administri = assistant, helper, supporter; one at hand to help, attendant;
[code]paraclitus, paracliti OR paracletus, paracleti = advocate, defender, protector, helper;[/code] [code]auxiliator, auxiliatoris = helper, one who gives aid; aide, assistant.[/code] [code][/code]
Thank you for those excellent name suggestions!
KingsIsle seems to be breaking new ground in the crafting aspects in W101 ( being able to craft mounts ) and my hope is that P101 will go even further in ground-breaking game play!
I love the challenge of crafting!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Feb 3, 2016 wrote:

Amicus Fabricius? I have very little Latin, but I think this may mean " a friend is made"?

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
anecorbie on Feb 3, 2016 wrote:
Thank you for those excellent name suggestions!
KingsIsle seems to be breaking new ground in the crafting aspects in W101 ( being able to craft mounts ) and my hope is that P101 will go even further in ground-breaking game play!
I love the challenge of crafting!
Imagine being able to craft ships. That would be really cool. That is all.

The Grin Reaper

Petty Officer
Apr 04, 2015
For names, it could be random, like some of the companions [Random Valencian Names]

For example, Bitruis Latius for Male, or something!

Bosun
Mar 04, 2012
Great idea as always anecorbie

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
silver swordcoral on Feb 4, 2016 wrote:
Great idea as always anecorbie
Thank you very much!

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2012
I think i'd go farming for that much scrip just to build an armada like clockwork companion.

Great idea. I like it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
turtlemcturtleton on Feb 7, 2016 wrote:
I think i'd go farming for that much scrip just to build an armada like clockwork companion.

Great idea. I like it.
Thank you, turtlemcturtleton. Now, if you had the scrip which clockwork would you make?

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
Requirements:
Recipe suggestions:
Other thoughts:
Conclusion:
This idea is amazing
I think this way to go about it would be almost impossible to argue against. We create the mannequins ourselves, leaving out any direct trace to the Armada, plus those little wooden people are just so cute.
I think we could also have witchdoctor (female) and privateer (male) ones too. The witch's motions could be modeled after Bishop's and the privy's after Deacon's. Hey, we're makin' 'em, why not get every class included.
It would be good to use the doubloons like treasure cards, though I'd like to be assured first that we would be able to buy them with gold like the cards. The clothing could be a good individual touch but I'm assuming that they would be unchangeable and the colors would automatically switch to our flag colors once they're crafted on. I think the same would go for the weapons, we could choose the weapon they get but it would have to be of a specific type, instead of using Armada weapons specifically, but by all means we'd have to bash a lot of them to get the necessary reagents like gears, springs, and electronic devices.
The names would of course be individualized but I think it would be great if we could choose the name like our own pirate, and of course would be finalized once we do.
As far as promotions go, I'm guessing the recipe would automatically upgrade with a new set of materials needed, including the mannequin needing to be at a certain lvl or higher, and would be the only time we could change the clothes and weapon; while still being in certain restrictions and not being able to change it again until the next promo.
I really hope they include this along with crafting. I see absolutely no reason why this couldn't work.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I think this is a very creative and wonderful idea...as most of your's are, Esperanza. However, I personally do not wish to have an actually clockwork companions (or ones similar to the Spiral's clockworks). But I do love the idea of gathering crafting material to build clockwork or mechanical pets and mounts or even mechanical versions of some of our beastly companions...and some new ones too. Like a mechanical batacuda or scorpion or manticore companion-- that I would go ape over.

I understand the craving for some cool clockwork companions but I just want some more ratchety, clankety, and cool looking pets and mounts and maybe new mechanical companions (maybe a rhino, lion or drake).

But being able to scrap up some pieces of our adversaries to custom craft something cool and clockwork-y....sounds like fun to me!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Serpent10611 on Feb 8, 2016 wrote:
This idea is amazing
I think this way to go about it would be almost impossible to argue against. We create the mannequins ourselves, leaving out any direct trace to the Armada, plus those little wooden people are just so cute.
I think we could also have witchdoctor (female) and privateer (male) ones too. The witch's motions could be modeled after Bishop's and the privy's after Deacon's. Hey, we're makin' 'em, why not get every class included.
It would be good to use the doubloons like treasure cards, though I'd like to be assured first that we would be able to buy them with gold like the cards. The clothing could be a good individual touch but I'm assuming that they would be unchangeable and the colors would automatically switch to our flag colors once they're crafted on. I think the same would go for the weapons, we could choose the weapon they get but it would have to be of a specific type, instead of using Armada weapons specifically, but by all means we'd have to bash a lot of them to get the necessary reagents like gears, springs, and electronic devices.
The names would of course be individualized but I think it would be great if we could choose the name like our own pirate, and of course would be finalized once we do.
As far as promotions go, I'm guessing the recipe would automatically upgrade with a new set of materials needed, including the mannequin needing to be at a certain lvl or higher, and would be the only time we could change the clothes and weapon; while still being in certain restrictions and not being able to change it again until the next promo.
I really hope they include this along with crafting. I see absolutely no reason why this couldn't work.
Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.
I was thinking the clothes would never change, promotion or not. Of course it would be a gold promotion only, these things won't have an intelligence ( we hope ) or a backstory.
I choose the Armada weapons for these clockworks as a link to the Armada; which is the main reason why I excluded Witchdoctors ( yes I know both Phule & Bishop drop weapons but who would want to lose such powerful drops? ) and Privateers don't seem to exist among the lower ranks of the Armada ( at least we haven't met any so far. ) Plus the fact that the animations for these classes don't exist in game. I'm sure that KI would want Phule's & Bishop's animations to remain unique to them.
However, why not have these two classes available? Why not apply the same animations of the others on the WD and Privy? ( Or even make new animations? )
Good thinking there, Serpent10611!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 8, 2016 wrote:
I think this is a very creative and wonderful idea...as most of your's are, Esperanza. However, I personally do not wish to have an actually clockwork companions (or ones similar to the Spiral's clockworks). But I do love the idea of gathering crafting material to build clockwork or mechanical pets and mounts or even mechanical versions of some of our beastly companions...and some new ones too. Like a mechanical batacuda or scorpion or manticore companion-- that I would go ape over.

I understand the craving for some cool clockwork companions but I just want some more ratchety, clankety, and cool looking pets and mounts and maybe new mechanical companions (maybe a rhino, lion or drake).

But being able to scrap up some pieces of our adversaries to custom craft something cool and clockwork-y....sounds like fun to me!
That's the beauty of this system, Valkoor, if you don't want a clockwork humanoid, then you don't have to make one - it's not a quest reward ( thank goodness ).
I to, would love to make clockwork "anythings", this must be an inheiritance from my father, a mechanical engineer.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 8, 2016 wrote:

These aren't really clockwork. They'll be modeled after the mannequins in w101. In Triton Ave, they're called haunted minions and really they're all wood, completely different from the Armada.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Serpent10611 on Feb 8, 2016 wrote:
These aren't really clockwork. They'll be modeled after the mannequins in w101. In Triton Ave, they're called haunted minions and really they're all wood, completely different from the Armada.
In Marleybone they're called Clockwork Wizards

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
anecorbie on Feb 8, 2016 wrote:
Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.
I was thinking the clothes would never change, promotion or not. Of course it would be a gold promotion only, these things won't have an intelligence ( we hope ) or a backstory.
I choose the Armada weapons for these clockworks as a link to the Armada; which is the main reason why I excluded Witchdoctors ( yes I know both Phule & Bishop drop weapons but who would want to lose such powerful drops? ) and Privateers don't seem to exist among the lower ranks of the Armada ( at least we haven't met any so far. ) Plus the fact that the animations for these classes don't exist in game. I'm sure that KI would want Phule's & Bishop's animations to remain unique to them.
However, why not have these two classes available? Why not apply the same animations of the others on the WD and Privy? ( Or even make new animations? )
Good thinking there, Serpent10611!

I thought a witchdoctor mannequin would be easy to incorporate, considering the ones in w101 are already equipped with a staff. It just seems kind of wasteful to leave out witch and privy if we're crafting these companions. Btw, they would have to have some sort of intelligence to be able to do tasks effectively; definitely not Armada smart, more along the lines of the war golem Gracie builds.
If we're choosing the clothes it gets from the start, I guess it doesn't matter much if they don't change with the promo, though I'm guessing the mannequin itself would change in appearance slightly. The gold promos make things much easier too. As for weapons, I think it would be cool to craft our own Armada-style weapons, which would then be used in these mannequins. The witch and privy weapons could have the basis of a weapon bought from a vender but they would require more of the other reagents than the buccs, bucklers, and muskets, whose weapons would have the Armada weapon basis.
As for witches and privies in the Armada, I'd say it's possible we could see some in the near future. With the number of common clockworks far exceeding the elites, I'd imagine there would be a group of captains that lead separate parties across the Spiral (third in command to Kane and the other elites of course). And true, the Armada outlawed magic, but Bishop's technomancy suggests something else; plus I'm sure he's not the only clockwork engineer/tinkerer they have.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
anecorbie on Feb 9, 2016 wrote:
In Marleybone they're called Clockwork Wizards
Those labels. . .
That name aside, the appearance doesn't really match the idea of a clockwork, unlike the Clockwork Warriors. These mannequins could just as easily be called Carved Treants.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Serpent10611 on Feb 9, 2016 wrote:

I thought a witchdoctor mannequin would be easy to incorporate, considering the ones in w101 are already equipped with a staff. It just seems kind of wasteful to leave out witch and privy if we're crafting these companions. Btw, they would have to have some sort of intelligence to be able to do tasks effectively; definitely not Armada smart, more along the lines of the war golem Gracie builds.
If we're choosing the clothes it gets from the start, I guess it doesn't matter much if they don't change with the promo, though I'm guessing the mannequin itself would change in appearance slightly. The gold promos make things much easier too. As for weapons, I think it would be cool to craft our own Armada-style weapons, which would then be used in these mannequins. The witch and privy weapons could have the basis of a weapon bought from a vender but they would require more of the other reagents than the buccs, bucklers, and muskets, whose weapons would have the Armada weapon basis.
As for witches and privies in the Armada, I'd say it's possible we could see some in the near future. With the number of common clockworks far exceeding the elites, I'd imagine there would be a group of captains that lead separate parties across the Spiral (third in command to Kane and the other elites of course). And true, the Armada outlawed magic, but Bishop's technomancy suggests something else; plus I'm sure he's not the only clockwork engineer/tinkerer they have.
Crafting Armada-style weapons will make this recipe just a little more difficult; not that I'm complaining about the difficulty - I have crafted many objects requiring other crafted objects.
But this recipe is already very time intensive, it's best to keep it as simple as possible. The younger crafter may not want ( or even have the time ) to do a long and complicated recipe.
Yes, not intelligent the way our crew is but at least "golem smart".
When we get to Valencia once more, we may see more of the upper echelons of the Armada. More scientists involved in "R & D" and Privateer captains engaging in trade or even military intelligence.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
anecorbie on Feb 9, 2016 wrote:
Crafting Armada-style weapons will make this recipe just a little more difficult; not that I'm complaining about the difficulty - I have crafted many objects requiring other crafted objects.
But this recipe is already very time intensive, it's best to keep it as simple as possible. The younger crafter may not want ( or even have the time ) to do a long and complicated recipe.
Yes, not intelligent the way our crew is but at least "golem smart".
When we get to Valencia once more, we may see more of the upper echelons of the Armada. More scientists involved in "R & D" and Privateer captains engaging in trade or even military intelligence.
True, true, but I didn't say that these weapons had to be complex to craft. You said that the mannequin companions required at least Master lvl to craft; the weapons could be within the Apprentice-Initiate range.