Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Still in shock over the lay-offs

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
My heart is still very heavy from hearing the news of the layoffs at KI. I will miss our Bonnie Anne and #JuliaFromKI greatly. KI live is such a wonderful way of keeping us in sync with the wonderfulness of both games and it won't be the same without them. I truly hope KI Live will continue and such merriment will surely help the healing process along.

I have heard of some that are included in the lay-offs but nothing official but my tears are with yours for those that are now looking for work and those that will miss them and feel the vaccum of their missing friends at work.

I will do all I can to help things progress with as Tom put it, KI 2.0 and will assist in any way possible. I fear for the added painful reactions when I learn of the other silenced voices of those we care about that we don't know of yet. The shock is not yet over but the healing must begin. I am a staunch believer in the games KI makes and I will be here no matter what. Once a Mauarader, always a Mauarader.

I eagerly look forward to test realm, hopefully next week and getting to dive in to the new advertures so many have worked so hard on for us. I am here to play, write, and enjoy my KI family no matter how much it fluxuates. The dream is still there and going strong.

*Ginormous Chrissy hugs* to all of those affected; employees with increased workloads, those looking for new positions and all those wonderful players.

Bosun
Mar 04, 2012
hi I just heard that a lot of kingsisle workers got layoff even our beloved Bonnie Anne and Julia and I just wanted to say we will all miss you and always remember you and the amazing work all of you did of these amazing games they changed a lot of life's especially mine I was always shy and the community and community workers helped me come out of it I wish everyone of you well and maybe someday you'll get to come back even though the spells and flags may change the ideas and Spirit will stay that same it won't be the same without all of you and I hope you never forget the spiral we'll miss you all good bye

Administrator
Hi! Thank you all for your well wishes. Here is the official response:

To verify, KingsIsle had a reduction in force today which impacted some of our talented employees, and we wish them the best. This coincides with a couple of unreleased mobile games being cancelled. The strategy is to refocus our efforts on our MMO games and polish our more promising mobile projects, many of which are still slated for a 2016 release. Fans of our MMOs should know that Pirate101 is soon to receive an update and will be going to Test Realm most likely next week. Wizard101 has new content updates in the works for both Summer and Fall 2016.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Let's look at some things this way, everyone. The response said their strategy is for KI to refocus their efforts to their MMO games. So, they'll be doing more updates to their MMO games more frequently than they used to. A strong positive. More updates, more in-game content to W101 & P101, more all-new adventures.

My heart still feels heavy about the 80+ people layoffs, sure, & I am a bit upset about that, but, I blame no one about this outcome.

Sure, I'll miss Bonnie Anne and Julia now, & others, too, but, I know their strategy will do great, knowing KI's focus on MMO games will be stronger than ever.

Maybe one day, should this strategy go well, which it will, we may see them come back to KI, with stronger purpose to support KI's MMOs in their MMO team. Someday. Who knows?

Sometimes, when the things they do best in the beginning are slowing down lately & other things you try to do that are not in mostly everyone's interest are dwindling rapidly, there's bound to be some tearing down from where it's not worth their time & money, so they may rebuild & return to what they already love best, & expand on it even more.

To place it, the layoffs severely inflicted the mobile department, therefore, whatever many WIP mobile games KI had from the layoffs were cancelled, & they'll only change their focus on that to polishing the available ones.

Sure, their decision was very sad, yet necessary.

I kinda knew mobile games had many disadvantages in playing them, let alone making & finishing them. In my perspective, mobile games aren't worth a developer's time & money.

Nevertheless, I wish those who were let go lots o' luck. We'll miss them all. Let's stay strong & positive, people! Look to the happy times, not the sad times!

We're looking to more adventures in W101 & P101 to come, more than ever.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
I do feel a bit of sadness for the people who no longer have a job but this could quite easily be a positive change for both developers and the KI community, like Tom said KI 2.0 I'm sure everyone new will be amazing and those who left can look back at their work and be proud of their time in KI

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
One-Eyed Jack on May 13, 2016 wrote:
Hi! Thank you all for your well wishes. Here is the official response:

To verify, KingsIsle had a reduction in force today which impacted some of our talented employees, and we wish them the best. This coincides with a couple of unreleased mobile games being cancelled. The strategy is to refocus our efforts on our MMO games and polish our more promising mobile projects, many of which are still slated for a 2016 release. Fans of our MMOs should know that Pirate101 is soon to receive an update and will be going to Test Realm most likely next week. Wizard101 has new content updates in the works for both Summer and Fall 2016.
Woah, Woah, Woah

Next week is the test realm!

Is this true?

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I am very sorry to hear about this. It's a pity KI had to do it, but hopefully by readjusting their focus they can recover (reasonably) quickly. I do hope that those laid off will find jobs in short order.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm just saddened by the fact that our wonderful, helpful Bonnie Anne will no longer be here to monitor our posts, or that I'll no longer see her smiling face on KI Live ( or her colorful hair ).
It just seems wrong that Test Realm and this tragedy should be taking place at the same time. I extend my best wishes to Leesha & Julia and hope that they will soon find a job just as good as the old one.

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
My heart is heavy. My best wishes to the those affected. We love you all and I hope you all find success in whatever you decide to do

Lv. 65
Lv. 62
Lv. 18
Lv. 15

Lieutenant
Aug 19, 2011
As others have said, I, too, have a positive outlook on this.

Best wishes to those affected with the layoff, and may fortunate winds guide you on your next adventures.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
anecorbie on May 14, 2016 wrote:
I'm just saddened by the fact that our wonderful, helpful Bonnie Anne will no longer be here to monitor our posts, or that I'll no longer see her smiling face on KI Live ( or her colorful hair ).
It just seems wrong that Test Realm and this tragedy should be taking place at the same time. I extend my best wishes to Leesha & Julia and hope that they will soon find a job just as good as the old one.
Yeah. We sure will miss them.

If by old, you mean about almost 2 years to Leesha, well... I wouldn't call that job she had old. Several years, should it be that, perhaps.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I am sorry to hear about the layoffs but you know what they say when one door closes another one opens. They will find something even better!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey