Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Vortex of Doom:now impossible

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
I found this quest to be most difficult with a musketeer. Melee classes seem to have no problem, but musketeers at that level have fairly limited range and damage. It seemed to work best is I could send in several melee companions on the first round, but it still took me a while.

Ensign
Jan 26, 2010
I think that the easiest way to win is be a Privateer,because you can rush over there and heal the pelican at once. Then keep everybody at higher then yellow health bar,or one of your men might get dropped before you can heal them.Hopefully being helpful, Golden Wolf level 48 privateer.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
You can do it with a Musketeer, but you have to be agressive with your companions.

If you send in your companions, you will usually draw the attention of the Storm Sharks away from Brody.

My problem as a Swashbuckler wasn't drawing aggro from Brody... It was pulling the aggro off of a member of my crew once we had begun our attack.

Whenever I send in my companions to save Brody, the sharks would always turn around and gang up on Subotai or Lucky Jack and chew him to bits.

Talon Devereax.

Ensign
Nov 22, 2010
Since the last few upgrades, this has become more and more difficult to achieve on a first try.

Most times Brody is down before you even get a turn and you never get a chance to pull aggro off him.

In fact, low level characters are having a harder time of it altogther from when I first started creating them on the live game. Every upgrade seems to make it worse for them.

Ensign
Dec 01, 2012
Kyle Life Caster on Oct 16, 2012 wrote:
Ok I know almost everyone has this problem with this battle/quest. Like people say I can't beat the shakes before they get Brody.i had no trouble in beta but I can't do it,even with my mmusketeerso someone please help me
you just need to take out the sharks near brody first. I think i got lucky because my brody got critical almost every time with my bucaneer........ ha ha ha! that was really funny. my first one had to do it 5 times before i won!

Petty Officer
Apr 11, 2013
yup bring a friend, always makes it easier, and more fun

Ensign
Jan 21, 2013
What i did is i took a friend (in my group) to help me, he debuffed the sharks and buffed me, my companions and brody, to easily win

Ensign
Feb 16, 2010
uhhh its not hard. i did it alone on my and there storm sharks like on wizard101. i mean it may be your class but i dont know. are trained to take hits and deal heavy damage. there like ice now on wizard101 (except for damage) all i can say is to lvl up your companions.

-jack skullbreeze master of fire

"knowledge is power, use it wisely" for those of you who roam the wiz101 message boards and know me...HI!!!

Ensign
Aug 02, 2013
That's wierd. I found this one of the easiest battles of the member quests.

Anyways, if you're a musketeer, I reccomend you stay behind and shoot them. If they all group up, you use a scatterblast attack to shoot them all. If your companions aren't a balance (For example, some companions are trained as good as possible and others are many levels below you) then I'm afraid you'll have to make a new character, because you have completely ruined your companions. Always keep companions at a balance. Also, try going for one shark at once.

Early in the game, a tip mentions something so important it's going to help you for the rest of the game. It says something like:
"The secret to winning tough battles is to reduce the number of incoming attacks by taking out one enemy at a time. The boss is tough, so you might save him for last."

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Perhaps this thread should be locked. The origional post is from way back in October, almost a year old. Since that time, KI has altered and improved this quest so that it is not as hard as when this thread was started. I know that KI has reduced the number of sharks that appear and I believe that the health of the pelican has also been increased.

While I understand that new players may still need help with this quest or with other Skull Island quests, I think that this particular thread is very outdated and should probably be locked.

Administrator
CdeWinter on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
Perhaps this thread should be locked. The origional post is from way back in October, almost a year old. Since that time, KI has altered and improved this quest so that it is not as hard as when this thread was started. I know that KI has reduced the number of sharks that appear and I believe that the health of the pelican has also been increased.

While I understand that new players may still need help with this quest or with other Skull Island quests, I think that this particular thread is very outdated and should probably be locked.
Agreed!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*