Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pop culture reference No. 1

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
I just ran into Lucious Fox in the game and laughed when I heard he had a similar speach pattern to Morgan Freeman.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Captain
May 02, 2009
clj333 on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
Hiya people! this is a pop culture reference board, here pirates are free to talk about the names of people in p101 and say who they relate to, my first on is.... eep-ok-ork-ah-ah he is from a old timey jetsons song and one of the funniest references i can think of! oh well Have Fun Pirates!

Fearless Caleb Hawkins, a die hard buccaneer
Hey has anyone noticed that all of Zeke's quests are referenced to old bands?

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
There is a "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" reference in the ancient ruins. You mention the Golden Monkey and the monkies reply exactly like the "frenchmen" in the castle when the Camelot knights begin their quest-"We already haven one..." There is also an Amy Oakly in Cool Ranch.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 31, 2009
While I'm too tired to look further, don't forget Wyatt Chirp! =)
-
D.S. Devereaux

Ensign
Oct 14, 2012
Geographic Muskete... on Nov 18, 2012 wrote:
One of my favorites was Bonne Annes promotion, the Gal with the Golden Gun. The Man with the Golden Gun. That made my day!

Also, Iron Monkey(From the WIng Chun companion promotion for me) was actulally the name of a real 1993 film.
I thought the iron monkey thing meant something!

Ensign
May 28, 2009
You may have mentioned this before, but in the Monkey's Paw quest in Devil's Cut, the last room is kind of a refrence to the last room in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." I thought we were in trouble when Ratbeard (the game one, not the developer) points to jeweled one, till he said none of the others were monkey paws.

Also, the paw and the Mooshoo Falcon were from movies and stories written around the 1930s, and Rooster Cogbern was from a movie called True Grit. That version wasn't an actual rooster, but with Cool Ranch being what it is, that joke was an obvious direction.

One more thing... this one is just by chance, but the way some undead get the random name "Dead Jim" reminds me a bit of the line "He's dead, Jim!" from the first Star Trek tv show.

Ensign
Nov 28, 2012
There are a lot but one of the first ones that made me burst out laughing was the Frogfather; it was obvious that it was supposed to be the godfather but I did not expect him to talk imitating Marlon Brando's voice. Captain Ahab living in the back of a giant whale also made me smile.

Ensign
Jan 01, 2012
I howled when the Frogfather showed up! And the Ratpack? Wonderful. Now you know how old I am.

But the first thing that gave me a good chuckle is my first companion - my Samoorai that reminds me so much of James Garner. Doesn't talk like him but sure walks like him.

There are sooo many references to factual and fictional pirates, historical figures, politics, films, etc., that sometimes I'm tempted to close off the game and go to the library - all those stories I read as a kid!

Thanks so much! A literate bunch of nerdy designers - I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your planning sessions although how you all stop laughing long enough to get any work done is totally beyond me.

Cheers

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
clj333 on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
Hiya people! this is a pop culture reference board, here pirates are free to talk about the names of people in p101 and say who they relate to, my first on is.... eep-ok-ork-ah-ah he is from a old timey jetsons song and one of the funniest references i can think of! oh well Have Fun Pirates!

Fearless Caleb Hawkins, a die hard buccaneer
Don't forget the most apparent ones catbeard/ratbeard-blackbard~Scurvy orion lanyard

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
Scurvy Orion Lanya... on Dec 13, 2012 wrote:
Don't forget the most apparent ones catbeard/ratbeard-blackbard~Scurvy orion lanyard
And 2 more i forgot to add gortez-cortez,napoleon-napoleguin

Petty Officer
Jun 01, 2009
Talkin The Plank on Nov 21, 2012 wrote:
I just ran into Lucious Fox in the game and laughed when I heard he had a similar speach pattern to Morgan Freeman.
I recognized the name as well the few times I had to go to him, but for the life of me I can't recall what I knew it from.

I also enjoyed the Jetson's reference.

SCH

Ensign
Jun 06, 2012
I'm a little shocked that obody put this on here yet, but in Jonah Town, there is another classic movie parodied- JAWS. You have to save a sailor named Brody (a character from the movie) from Storm Sharks (that one is pretty obvious) while he is aboard the Amity (the name of the setting of the movie).

Also, the Moquistan royalty, church, and islands are obviouly references to Spain.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2012
JoJo Mojo is a reference to Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls.

Ensign
Apr 10, 2009
Talkin The Plank on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
The first one I really laughed at (and this was early in the game, so that's a good sign) was when I realized, upon meeting him, who Fin Dorsal was supposed to be. The name didn't jump out as super obvious, so until you fight him, you don't notice the reference. Nice work, KI!
Who is he supposed to be exactly? From what I've heard, he's supposed to be based of Vin Diesel in Pitch Black.

Ensign
Apr 10, 2009
Geographic Muskete... on Nov 18, 2012 wrote:
One of my favorites was Bonne Annes promotion, the Gal with the Golden Gun. The Man with the Golden Gun. That made my day!

Also, Iron Monkey(From the WIng Chun companion promotion for me) was actulally the name of a real 1993 film.
Bonnie's second promotion is also based off a James Bond Movie: "Her Majesty's Secret Service" while the full title is "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

Ensign
Feb 26, 2012
DS Devereaux on Dec 7, 2012 wrote:
While I'm too tired to look further, don't forget Wyatt Chirp! =)
-
D.S. Devereaux
Not just Wyatt Chirp but the other six as well, "Calamity Jane" Canary, "Wild Bill" Peacock, Buffalo Bill, Billy the kid, Bat masterson, and my favorite Duck Holiday.

Fearless John Bowman

Ensign
Jun 06, 2012
I'm finding a lot of these.

Survey Says... Water Moles! = Family Feud

Admiral
May 30, 2010
"But the first thing that gave me a good chuckle is my first companion - my Samoorai that reminds me so much of James Garner. Doesn't talk like him but sure walks like him."

That's funny. I tend to think of him as the Burt Reynolds cow.

Ensign
Dec 11, 2012
Jazzaram on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
You may have mentioned this before, but in the Monkey's Paw quest in Devil's Cut, the last room is kind of a refrence to the last room in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." I thought we were in trouble when Ratbeard (the game one, not the developer) points to jeweled one, till he said none of the others were monkey paws.

Also, the paw and the Mooshoo Falcon were from movies and stories written around the 1930s, and Rooster Cogbern was from a movie called True Grit. That version wasn't an actual rooster, but with Cool Ranch being what it is, that joke was an obvious direction.

One more thing... this one is just by chance, but the way some undead get the random name "Dead Jim" reminds me a bit of the line "He's dead, Jim!" from the first Star Trek tv show.
Rooster Cogburn is the name of an actual John Wayne movie from 1975 with Katherine Hepburn. The movie was based off of the character Rooster Cogburn from the BOOK True Grit ;)

Petty Officer
May 22, 2011
Marco Pollo, I laughed when Avery told me his name. Marco Pollo and Marco Pollo. Same words different pronouciation. I laughed because Pollo means chicken in spanish, and Pollo is a chicken.

Ensign
Oct 23, 2012
Well, I found a pop culture reference on Luis Le Bisque's promotion quest. It's called: I've got the Powder. I also almost died of laughter at the dungeon in Cool Ranch, Hidden Valley Ranch

Daring Cole Stevenson level 17
Wesley Pelton level 18

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
In Tumbleweed, in Cool Ranch, Mark Clemens is Mark Twain, author of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, who's real name was Samuel Clemens. His friend Huck Sawyer is based off his most famous characters. The third quest they gave, resquing Huck sister, I nearly died of laughter when her name was Becky- Tom's girl friend. Awsome job on that KI.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
I believe Private Henson says "It's not easy being green."

Petty Officer
May 22, 2011
Jazzaram on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:

it's Diablo Cut, not devil"s cut.

Cutthroat for some reason came to mind.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
The ship parts vendor in Monquista is named Fernando Alonso, for all you F1 fans out there.