Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Kan po no good

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 27, 2012
I have noticed that Kan po, my first mate, is a very good attacker, but not very likely to stay alive during a fight,and he 's my starting companion, so i could'nt bear to swap him out with another first mate. Anybody else notice this?

-

Ensign
Jun 23, 2010
Most companions at low to mid level die easily. I switch out companions a lot at every level. On my level 50 Witchdoctor Kan Po is a force to be reckoned with.

My advice is level Kan Po as much as possible. (I try to do this when I get two levels per practice point.) Once he starts getting his promotion quests he gets stronger. His first promotion quest is at level 13. If you are close to that it is worth spending a few practice points to get him there. If I don't have access to the Iron Monkey my friends will take me there for that quest. Dodge is a great talent. I trained my Kan Po with it. It is a form of defense. Megan

Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
My PO is my first choice on all battles. After he gets a couple epics in him, he is awesome. I even bought his twin in the crown shop. When those 2 appear together, I'm wearing a smile.

Ensign
Jun 27, 2012
No, i mean he dies quickly in comparison to my other companions.

That is good to know, though.

-

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Kan Po is a swashbuckler. Swashbucklers do great on damage, but can't take much of a hit.

Petty Officer
Mar 29, 2012
kan po is almost the same as my Bull Samoorai companion (promoted Bull Ronin) he died also really quickly in fights but he is very powerfull and do almost 171 damage

he is not my best companion in Cool Ranch, because enemy's there take your companions down one by one, but in skull island, Monquista and Valencia he is a great companion that can do great damage.

Blaze Carter, level 31 and level 11

Petty Officer
Sep 18, 2009
Kan Po used to be dead last on my companions list, but he does get much better around level 30. I put repel boarders and riposte on him when he advanced and he is a force to be reckoned with now. You may need to adjust your companion line up from time to time as they gain skills and levels.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
ericahihi on Dec 8, 2012 wrote:
No, i mean he dies quickly in comparison to my other companions.

That is good to know, though.

-
This is true at the beginning, but it will change. Level him up and promote him, and give him the right talents and he becomes practically untouchable (relatively, of course.)

Community Leader
Kan Po is one of the best companions in the game.
And he comes with a heal....

As for him dieing quickly? An adjustment to strategy may be helpful.
Not knowing your strategy its hard to make suggestions.

I play (and train) my companions to best use their epic talents.
(Ex. If training Riposte, give your companion lots of dodge)

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
All the strting companions, and as a fact all companions are weak is 1. they are underleveled compared to your enemies, or 2. your not giving them talents that will benefit them, and 3. some of them are just plain out weak. The only starting companions who are hard to keep alive are Kan Po and Kobe just because they are swashbucklers and have the lowest health and resist compared to everyone else. This really isn't a problem after tey get promoted, and then in their third tier, oh boy i literally just sit there as my samoorai lord wipes the entire field clean.

Ensign
Nov 17, 2012
ericahihi on Dec 7, 2012 wrote:
I have noticed that Kan po, my first mate, is a very good attacker, but not very likely to stay alive during a fight,and he 's my starting companion, so i could'nt bear to swap him out with another first mate. Anybody else notice this?

-
I have noticed that too good observation.

Ensign
Nov 08, 2012

-
When kan po is in his last form he will be more better,and his last promotion is level 46 just try upgrading his block like mines

fearless john strong level 50

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
He does not have as many hit points as some other companions. Work on his Dodge ability. As others have previously noted, at higher level he (and the other starting companions) are pretty fierce. Good luck!

Ensign
Nov 27, 2011
Most of the swashbuckler companions die easily, because they don't have a lot of life, I have a lvl 50 privateer that has Iago lvl 50 and has 1535, the best of the swashbuckler companions is that they block a lot when they are between lvl 20 and 50,

Ensign
Apr 28, 2011
What I notice is that the three physical attacking classes for companions have a different balance between health and damage.(First companions in parentheses)
  • Privateers (Wing Chun) have the lowest damage, but highest health.
  • Buccaneers (Subodai, Egg Shen) have it balanced out for each two stat.
  • Swashbucklers (Kan Po and Kobe Yojimbo) have the major damage, but low health.
I hope you find this useful.

Ensign
Jan 30, 2013
yea i have also notice this and mine is level fifty
fearless wolf witchdoctor level fifty/for ty nine

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Jan 30, 2013 wrote:
Kan Po is one of the best companions in the game.
And he comes with a heal....

As for him dieing quickly? An adjustment to strategy may be helpful.
Not knowing your strategy its hard to make suggestions.

I play (and train) my companions to best use their epic talents.
(Ex. If training Riposte, give your companion lots of dodge)
Excellent advice. You are sharing really good examples of strategy and thinking ahead. There is not much out here that helps the novice know what to do with all those training options. I know in my first pirate I had no clue what to train and just tried to keep stuff balanced. You are sharing your wisdom and it is much appreciated and hopefully more will take your example and become mentors to those pirates still searching for their sea legs.

Petty Officer
Jan 18, 2013
In my opinion, kan po comes in a close second in starter companions, right behind kobe yojimbo

Ensign
Oct 10, 2011

-
I have to stay you give a good point BUT YOU TAKE THAT BACKLv.50 buccaneer/witchdoctor

Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
natenkate on Jan 1, 2013 wrote:
Kan Po used to be dead last on my companions list, but he does get much better around level 30. I put repel boarders and riposte on him when he advanced and he is a force to be reckoned with now. You may need to adjust your companion line up from time to time as they gain skills and levels.
i agree with you hes one of my top three companions on my list but El Toro is better then him he dodges like every single time only if your lucky you hit him kan po gets a heal first promteion which is goat diciple then he gets a better heal and walk in shadows when becomes a goat master and this should go somewhere else and hes good in all worlds i always liked him

Captain
May 13, 2011
try to make sure he doesnt get hit. you can help that, you know. my keisuke can use walk in shadows then sneak up to a healthy enemy for a critcal. i had him hit like 4 200s with his critical. even if the enemies survive, he can block their attack and respond by poking them to death (riposte). it works. he almost took on the monkey king dopplegangers all by himself only by poking

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Sneaky George Quar... on Apr 30, 2013 wrote:
try to make sure he doesnt get hit. you can help that, you know. my keisuke can use walk in shadows then sneak up to a healthy enemy for a critcal. i had him hit like 4 200s with his critical. even if the enemies survive, he can block their attack and respond by poking them to death (riposte). it works. he almost took on the monkey king dopplegangers all by himself only by poking
200 AND fiftys to be more exacty ;)

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Sneaky George Quar... on Apr 30, 2013 wrote:
when he is 50

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2009

-
Kan Po can actually be very powerful if you level him up. He may not seem powerful now, but he'll be very powerful later if you level him up and complete his promotion quests! I've actually seen Kan Po do over 500 damage before, and I'm not kidding. He can be really powerful, and maybe even more powerful than Subodai!

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
MrToro123A on Mar 31, 2013 wrote:
What I notice is that the three physical attacking classes for companions have a different balance between health and damage.(First companions in parentheses)
  • Privateers (Wing Chun) have the lowest damage, but highest health.
  • Buccaneers (Subodai, Egg Shen) have it balanced out for each two stat.
  • Swashbucklers (Kan Po and Kobe Yojimbo) have the major damage, but low health.
I hope you find this useful.
privateers get egg shen, I have two privateers, probably a coincidence, but they both got egg shen