Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Vengeance Strike no longer working properly

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 17, 2012
So, as of this last update, Vengeance Strike has pretty much become broken. I assume that it has such a low priority in combat (meaning, it's required to go last) that quite a few problems have come up from it.

The first has to do with Repel Borders and Cheap Shot. When hit with either of these attacks, you will not use Vengeance Strike unless you end your turn standing beside the enemies that performed these abilities on you, and you only perform the Vengeance Strike at the very end of your turn.

The second is that because Vengeance Strike is forced to be the last move of your turn, critical hits with Vengeance strike do not trigger Blade Storm. I assume the game only applies Vengeance Strike when it's told that the turn is over, and because the turn is over it can't trigger Blade Storm.

I hope my explanation of the issue can help resolve it quickly.

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2009
Seadog Swampy on Sep 6, 2014 wrote:
So, as of this last update, Vengeance Strike has pretty much become broken. I assume that it has such a low priority in combat (meaning, it's required to go last) that quite a few problems have come up from it.

The first has to do with Repel Borders and Cheap Shot. When hit with either of these attacks, you will not use Vengeance Strike unless you end your turn standing beside the enemies that performed these abilities on you, and you only perform the Vengeance Strike at the very end of your turn.

The second is that because Vengeance Strike is forced to be the last move of your turn, critical hits with Vengeance strike do not trigger Blade Storm. I assume the game only applies Vengeance Strike when it's told that the turn is over, and because the turn is over it can't trigger Blade Storm.

I hope my explanation of the issue can help resolve it quickly.
Vengeance is working properly. See the post from Ratbeard.

"Vengeance Strike now waits until the end of the turn before it triggers.

This should prevent the case where a target with multiple First Strikes gets to unload all his attacks on you before you even get to do one VS.

So, you should see more of a back-and-forth between First Strike and Vengeance Strike instead of the lopsided shredder it was before."

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-spar-chamber/first-strikevengeance-strike-8ad6a4154641eb4001465f01aef41ddc

Ensign
Aug 17, 2012
Oran of Urz on Sep 7, 2014 wrote:
Vengeance is working properly. See the post from Ratbeard.

"Vengeance Strike now waits until the end of the turn before it triggers.

This should prevent the case where a target with multiple First Strikes gets to unload all his attacks on you before you even get to do one VS.

So, you should see more of a back-and-forth between First Strike and Vengeance Strike instead of the lopsided shredder it was before."

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-spar-chamber/first-strikevengeance-strike-8ad6a4154641eb4001465f01aef41ddc
This isn't about the relationship between Vengeance Strike and First Strike, however. Those two are working together correctly.

This is about Vengeance Strike no longer activating Blade Storm or being activated when hit with Repel Borders and Cheap Shot in specific scenarios.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Seadog Swampy on Sep 7, 2014 wrote:
This isn't about the relationship between Vengeance Strike and First Strike, however. Those two are working together correctly.

This is about Vengeance Strike no longer activating Blade Storm or being activated when hit with Repel Borders and Cheap Shot in specific scenarios.
I too have noticed that often Vengeance Strike does not kick in after Cheap Shot. Many times the Cheap Shot is the first attack as a I send a Buccaneer with Vengeance Strike to leave the Cheap Shot enemy to attack another enemy. So, I know that pirate or crew member has not used up all of their remaining Vengeance Strikes.

Ratbeard, is this working properly or has Cheap Shot been tweaked to no longer allow Vengeance Strike to trigger at times?

Thanks for any reply.

Developer
Sounds like a bug; we'll look into it.

Ensign
Aug 17, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 8, 2014 wrote:
I too have noticed that often Vengeance Strike does not kick in after Cheap Shot. Many times the Cheap Shot is the first attack as a I send a Buccaneer with Vengeance Strike to leave the Cheap Shot enemy to attack another enemy. So, I know that pirate or crew member has not used up all of their remaining Vengeance Strikes.

Ratbeard, is this working properly or has Cheap Shot been tweaked to no longer allow Vengeance Strike to trigger at times?

Thanks for any reply.
I don't know if you've noticed, but being hit by Cheap Shot and not using Vengeance Strike still "costs" you one of your three Vengeance Strikes.

Attack priority, it's a funny thing.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
(sorry to bring up an old post)

Oran of Urz, that may be what Ratbeard had said, but the official patch notes say "All “Vengeance Strike” types of talents now activate immediately after the blow was dealt, rather than as part of a successive chain of attacks. In particular, this will change the way that Vengeance Strike and First Strike interact."

This is clearly not the case and as such Vengeance Strike is broken.

The way it is currently in game does fix the problem with first strike, but it causes new problems with relentless, bladestorm and whatever else all triggering before any vengeance gets to go. A simple solution would have been to make all ranks of vengeance strike a "sneak attack" and as such ignore first strike all together.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Yarrr'd

Pretty dang technical and I always assumed they did not trigger because cheap shot and those other skills were classified as "sneak" attacks.