Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Problem with pet

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
I am not sure if this is a bug or not, so thought I would post it here first.

My main character is a 65 Swashbucker. I have several pets that give Dodgy 2. Yet, when I equip them, it does not increase my dodge, it is still at 135 (base 125 plus 3 class ranks of dodgy). Is the 3 ranks of dodgy from the class or 135 the cap? Or is it a bug and it should make my dodge 145?

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
Jack Harkness on Dec 16, 2014 wrote:
I am not sure if this is a bug or not, so thought I would post it here first.

My main character is a 65 Swashbucker. I have several pets that give Dodgy 2. Yet, when I equip them, it does not increase my dodge, it is still at 135 (base 125 plus 3 class ranks of dodgy). Is the 3 ranks of dodgy from the class or 135 the cap? Or is it a bug and it should make my dodge 145?
It depends on what the Pet information is (to see the information, select that Pet while on the Pet Management Screen and check both the Talent Button (the Star Button) and the Power Button (the Lightning Bolt Button)). If it says "grants Dodgy 2", then you should receive the increase when you have that Pet equipped. Anything else and the Pet gets the increase which of course works only when that Pet is equipped.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
The Helpful Pirate on Dec 16, 2014 wrote:
It depends on what the Pet information is (to see the information, select that Pet while on the Pet Management Screen and check both the Talent Button (the Star Button) and the Power Button (the Lightning Bolt Button)). If it says "grants Dodgy 2", then you should receive the increase when you have that Pet equipped. Anything else and the Pet gets the increase which of course works only when that Pet is equipped.
It is:

Grants Dodgy 2
Bonus
+2 Ranks

When equiped, my dodge does not go up.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
I don't know the explanation. I would check with support using either the Help Menu above (the Orange Question Mark) or e-mail them at support@pirate101.com . It usually takes from 24 to 48 hours to get a response back. I'd like to know the explanation too.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
I did, and the response I got was disappointing. Basically, dodgy maxes out at rank 3. And since as a 65 swashbuckler has dodgy 3, that makes the talent useless for me. Here is the exact response:

Hello,

Thank you for updating us. We researched your character and account thoroughly. Your character currently has "dodgy rank 3" which grants +2, +3, +5 extra dodgy. The pet talent grants +2 and +3 dodgy. Currently, these two do not stack as you have the maximum with dodgy rank 3. If you were to equip this pet on a character that does not have dodgy as a talent, you will see it show up on your stats page.

We tested this on your character to confirm.

Regards,
KingsIsle Support

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
Something I meant to ask last time, which Pet grants Dodgy 2? So far, all I've seen has been the Pet getting all the Dodges. Is it a morphed Pet?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
The Helpful Pirate on Dec 20, 2014 wrote:
Something I meant to ask last time, which Pet grants Dodgy 2? So far, all I've seen has been the Pet getting all the Dodges. Is it a morphed Pet?
Hello helpful pirate! I know that Grants Dodgy 2 is a talent for a 1st generation Heck Kitty, from the Grizzly Booster Packs. Of course, once it manifests you can then transfer it to any and all pets-- if successful in the morphing process. There may possibly be other 1st gen pets that have Grants Dodgy 2, but the Heck Kitty is the only one that I know of.

Also, Jack, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, because I could have saved you some emailing, head scratching and searching for answers. I had the same question awhile back, when my Buccaneer received a pet with Grants Tough 2 and I never saw the added health on my pirate, from equipping the pet. I discovered some time back that it was also because my pirate already had a full compliment of ranks, from practice points, of the Tough talent (Rank 3)-- so the extra ranks were forfeited or as you stated- useless. Same goes for Grants Blade Storm pets for my Buccaneer. He's already at Rank 3, so no extra Rank and thus extra Blade Storm. So yep, basically if your pirate is at Rank 3 of any Epic Talent, then it will not and can not receive a higher ranking from equipment and/or equipping pets. If you have Rank 2 of any Epic Talent and you have a pet that Grants 2 Ranks of it, you will only receive the 1 extra Ranking.

But the good news is, that if you have a simply fantastic pet that grants extra ranks of a few different Epic Talents (and Powers), and you wish to keep that pet equipped for some time-- then it frees you up to reset and invest some of your pirate's practice points into other areas. If you used some of your points on training Tough, Dodgy, Elusive or even some of the pet Granted powers that are also available via other class trainers, with the pets equipped you can then redistribute some practice points to training other Powers/Talents and still receive the other Powers/Talents courtesy of the faithful pet. I would only recommend doing the reset if you have an amazing pet that grants several Powers/Ranks of Talents that your pirate can get instead get from class training....and if you plan on keeping that pet for quite some time.

Glad you were able to get some answers and get your pet's Dodgy issue resolved. Have fun collecting critters and good luck to you both!

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
Curses, foiled again! Here I was thrilled with a second gen pet having bladestorm and dodgy (grants) both show up with the aim of creating the perfect pet for my lv65 swashbuckler. Back to the drawing board. *sigh*