Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Hydra battle takes almost an hour.. -_-

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2009
I would like to point out that probably one of the most toughest battles and longest would be this one. Some of my friends have also been complaining that the Hydra battle takes too long. And what about the beast on your way to the other skyway in Aquila? That boss is tough!
Who Agrees that the monster in the path way to the new skyway and the Hydra quest should be less tough?

~Noble Mistydove, level 65 swashbuckler

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
Bengalstar on Jun 15, 2013 wrote:
I would like to point out that probably one of the most toughest battles and longest would be this one. Some of my friends have also been complaining that the Hydra battle takes too long. And what about the beast on your way to the other skyway in Aquila? That boss is tough!
Who Agrees that the monster in the path way to the new skyway and the Hydra quest should be less tough?

I took on the Scylla in about 10 minutes. I was solo. I just stocked up on potions. It gets easier as you defeat it's heads. The Hydra, on the other hand, is difficult. I find it difficult only because of the serious glitches and bugs during the fight. Just don't stop trying.

Have a Great Day! Lvl 64

Ensign
Apr 14, 2012
I agree both are tough, but I think they are meant to be that way. If it were not difficult it would not be worth doing and the reward would not be as sweet.

HJH

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
I think there is a glitch with the Hydra fight (not sure cause KI hasn't confirmed it) because mine took 2 hours cause the Ebon head would not reappear.

Are you talking about the Scylla? I LOVE that boss!
I wandered into the Passage (to Ithaca) accidentally & it almost scared me because I know how the mythology between the Scylla and Charybdis goes. When Ratbeard says, "Are you crazy?!! Don't go between them!" I got worried because that's exactly where I was & thought I was trapped and doomed.

However, I realized that Charybid didn't DO anything & you only have to worry about Scylla. She is great for solo farming & drops the same ship parts that Captain Pluton & Spartocus does: Wings of Hermes sail (group Accuracy & Dodge), the Horn of Vesuvius that gives Plutonic Strike (Multi volcano attack to nearby enemy ships), the Horn of Mighty Kraken, the Olympian Wheel (Multi heal for allies near you), etc. She also (depending on your nautical level gives around 454 Nxp PER head so just for fighting the heads only you can get 1816 Nxp per fight! This will fill up your Nautical bar in no time.

My personal strategy is to first off make sure that you have at least a MB Galleon & that it is equipped with good ship parts. I had the Ra Horn, & Egret's Blessing. Also the Commodore's Sails (the Admiral's slow down ships that chase you so not necessary here). Go to either the left or right side and scoot up just enough that when you target a head it just turns orange. Start shooting at it & heal when need to. After you defeat one head back up to safety, drop anchor, & run aboard clearing tokens while your ship's health restores. Repeat these steps for the other 3 heads. It is NOT necessary to fight the Scylla Spawn (the green cloud) IF you are just farming. You will need to, though, to gain access to Ithaca.

If at any point your health runs you so low that you might be defeated, remember you have potions that will restore your ship's health. Keep them full!

Good luck!

~SM~

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012

Ugh come on you guys want things to be too easy!

Community Leader
Me and my questing group found it to be one of the funnest battles in the game.
Wasnt taking us that long though.

Attack Ebon, he disappears.
Kill one of each of what the instructions tell you (try to limit it to just one), Ebon reappears.
Attack Ebon, he disappears.
Kill one of each of what the instructions tell you (try to limit it to just one), Ebon reappears.

Thats the cycle, also helps to sort of spread everyone out so they can be in range of Ebon when he appears.

Me and another friend (two of us) have farmed it several times, was a matter of focus for us.

Good luck.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Not less tough, please, just some tips from the pros that help us learn how to defeat them. I don't want the worlds nerfed, I want to learn to be a better pirate to defeat a tougher boss.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2010
I strongly disagree the game is too easy as it is. The hydra mission is easy if you know what to do to kill ebon, that means you will need to kill each head amythist, scarlet and cobalt each time ebon disappears the good news is that each time you kill the 3 smaller heads they are wayyyy simple to kill the next time around. Plus they dont hit very hard either. The trick is to kill the first 3 heads as quickly as possible that means splitting up your team if you leave them all bunched up they get hit by area effect spells and damage. Try having companions moved so they are on all 4 sides of the head so only one or 2 get hit by the AoE spell breath weapons they use. This made it much easier to handle them. Each time Ebon pops up you need to focus only 2 on him because after he takes a certain amount of damage he disappears again. I used poison on ebon as a swashbuckler cause he will take the poison damage the whole time cause he disappears and repops with it active on him and takes 2-300 damage each round for 5 turns. Once you get the heads down killing each only once will repop ebon head, so dont attack the smaller heads until you have to or they get riposted or hit by chance. Run around the board staying away from the smaller heads and only attacking when necessary to repop ebon. Youll find the run and gun method pays off in the end with alot less smaller heads to hinder your path. Good luck!!! PS.The swashbuckler ability that invis's the whole group is awesome can do double damage to ebon and take him down in record time.. I finished that mission in under 20 minutes.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Dracorro on Jun 16, 2013 wrote:
I strongly disagree the game is too easy as it is. The hydra mission is easy if you know what to do to kill ebon, that means you will need to kill each head amythist, scarlet and cobalt each time ebon disappears the good news is that each time you kill the 3 smaller heads they are wayyyy simple to kill the next time around. Plus they dont hit very hard either. The trick is to kill the first 3 heads as quickly as possible that means splitting up your team if you leave them all bunched up they get hit by area effect spells and damage. Try having companions moved so they are on all 4 sides of the head so only one or 2 get hit by the AoE spell breath weapons they use. This made it much easier to handle them. Each time Ebon pops up you need to focus only 2 on him because after he takes a certain amount of damage he disappears again. I used poison on ebon as a swashbuckler cause he will take the poison damage the whole time cause he disappears and repops with it active on him and takes 2-300 damage each round for 5 turns. Once you get the heads down killing each only once will repop ebon head, so dont attack the smaller heads until you have to or they get riposted or hit by chance. Run around the board staying away from the smaller heads and only attacking when necessary to repop ebon. Youll find the run and gun method pays off in the end with alot less smaller heads to hinder your path. Good luck!!! PS.The swashbuckler ability that invis's the whole group is awesome can do double damage to ebon and take him down in record time.. I finished that mission in under 20 minutes.
Great tips Kaladir. Thank you. These are the kinds of tips I am talking about. Your tips make me a better fighter and I totally appreciate it.

Ensign
Mar 07, 2013
Fairly easy to me. Played Ratbeard, Catbeard, and Bonnie Anne.

RB and CB are my punching bags while BA is next to me. Kill the three heads as quick as possible and then kill the heads again over and over while sending someone to hit the ebon. This way the heads are as weak as possible and you have a higher chance of resisting. I will lose CB on the way usually but RB sticks it through the whole fight and so does BA. Overall its about a 20 min fight for me soloing.

Ensign
Dec 06, 2012
Thanks for all of the advice on fighting the Hydra. It helped tremendously and I was able to pull it off (barely) the first time. I did not time it, but it seemed to take a long time with all of the heads popping up everywhere. I felt like a mouse at dinner time in the snake exhibit!

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2009
I personally had no trouble with the Hydra, although some of my friends had troubles. There's tons of glitches in the battle and then it takes more time. I understand this game wasn't supposed to be easy but I think some of it might be too hard for some. I think KI should fix the glitches for the hydra quest and maybe include more quests for ship battles. That way my friends wouldn't have to flee because of glitches or whatnot.

Ensign
Mar 07, 2013
The first time I beat it, the ebon head would respawn on top of one of the other heads, causing me to attack the lesser head and wait another turn to kill the ebon. Even with that bug I could still beat it with no problem. Best of luck.

Ensign
Aug 28, 2010
it does not need to take hours if you watch my video just search for fastest way to kill hyda

Petty Officer
Jul 28, 2011
KI has really jumped the bar. the ebon head wont reappear and the multiplying heads are also hard. this fight makes the stormzilla fight in mooshu (with the glitch) seem like a troggie fight at 65. i hope this gets fixed soon, or it could result in quitting, therfore also resulting in less MONEY FROM SUBSCRIPTIONS. think about it.

Ensign
Jul 07, 2012
I don't agree on any of those there easy if you know what to do or you could just make it super hard for yourself.

Ensign
Dec 08, 2012
I could understand why the hydra is a problem but the Scylla? All you have to do is defeat the earth head first to avoid having to many crabs on your ship then just keep using potions to defeat the rest. As for the hydra, I think the drop rates for the Hydra should be increased because of how long it is. I mean seriously, are we really going to battle for a whole hour just so we could get a sum of gold at the end? KI really needs to fix that. BTW if your having trouble defeating the Scylla because of the ship then why not bring a couple of friends to help you? I help my friends all the time with that kind of thing.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
i did the hydra battle yesterday and its soooooooooooooooo easy I won with the serpant aurg and bonnie anne but toro died .... well I am a witchdoctor anyways :)

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
Speed Switch on Jun 15, 2013 wrote:
I soloed the hydra without using videos and still it was easy.

Ensign
Nov 05, 2012
Speed Switch on Jun 15, 2013 wrote:
I want things to be harder. Challenge is my game

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2012
Hydra was easy for me. I soloed it and defeated it on my first try.

Mason Brewster-lvl 64

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
I've seen WAY too many complaints and even a hidden threat to KI in this matter. For those of you who have trouble fighting the hydra, try looking at the top of the screen if the ebon head doesn't pop back up and simply follow directions, this isn't your everyday defeat all the enemies like you're used to. Also another glitch no one is really DESCRIBING is that some enemies don't show on certain players screens on the battle board. The point of the game is to be hard and those of you who think KI should "fix" it because of all the heads should really reconsider. Isn't it nice to have a different battle for once? KI probably had that as their main goal when making the hydra, and now people immediately want to nerf it. It's kind of a kick in the head to KI.

Skinny Duncan Roland
Endgamer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DuncanRoland The E... on Aug 31, 2013 wrote:
I've seen WAY too many complaints and even a hidden threat to KI in this matter. For those of you who have trouble fighting the hydra, try looking at the top of the screen if the ebon head doesn't pop back up and simply follow directions, this isn't your everyday defeat all the enemies like you're used to. Also another glitch no one is really DESCRIBING is that some enemies don't show on certain players screens on the battle board. The point of the game is to be hard and those of you who think KI should "fix" it because of all the heads should really reconsider. Isn't it nice to have a different battle for once? KI probably had that as their main goal when making the hydra, and now people immediately want to nerf it. It's kind of a kick in the head to KI.

Skinny Duncan Roland
Endgamer
Well said Duncan, you have really thought this through and I like how you see it. Welcome to the message boards, by the way. You have a great way of expressing things and I really look forward to what else you have to say. You are not afraid to make a stand with a different view yet you do it kindly. That is a good trait and I highly encourage you to keep at it.

Ensign
Feb 13, 2011

Well i dont think they really need to be nerfed because i beat the hydra solo in only about half an hour, plus the heads that pop up after have very low health compared to first ones. I dont think scylla is TO hard cause i beat that solo also, though it did take me a few tries before i remembered you can use potions in the middle of ship combat -Aquilan Legend, Dark Ryan Devereaux 65