Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Roleplay - A Masked Ball in Padova

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Chrissy sat on a barrel and watched the practice bouts. As a privateer she excelled in helping her crew do better, with getting better weapons to them or making sure they had what ever they needed in order to fight better. When she was cornered and had to fight herself she would hit big and hard but she knew that would not work undercover. Her large, hard hitting moves would be way too obvious. Even her wonderful slashy swords were big and she loved them but she could tell that they would really be in the way at a ball. She still wanted to do what she did best and just be there for everyone and make sure they had what ever they needed to do well. She always had a knack for that, to sense a need and do what was needed to help. This was why she was so pleased to play the role of the servant. It was like second nature to be there for others. She sat and watched all the wonderful ways that the others had for fighting and knew that she would have to adapt. But which way would fit with her protective, supportive heart? Maybe the best way was to try each way and see what she could incorporate with her support style.
Chrissy walked over to Scarlet and handed her the soothing tea that she could sense that she needed and looked at her friend and asked. "So Scarlet, would you mind making some time to show me how you do that so well?"

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 12, 2013 wrote:
OOC: oops, sorry Quentin, I wasn't clear: the invitation was for Quentin and Valona only; though I did enjoy all the brothers' responses you wrote. (You got the invitation in particular because of your friendship with the Doge's son.) The reason I am limiting everyone to one character (in your case, two) is that I do want to make the adventure have elements that personally interact with each of the players, which I hope would be more fun. It is not a random melee sort of story (I hope).

And, by the way, you know the Doge of Padova supports the Armada -- his son Orlando told you so at the very least, which is a good clue to you that the Doge's support is not in name only. You don't know the Vinaldi's family is in trouble -- at least not yet. But as a Valencian, you know that few people denounce the Armada openly. It is those who protest who tend to 'disappear'. (sadly) And as for the Doge, well, you know that (a) he supports the Armada, (b) he is suspicious that you are a pirate and thus likely linked in with the Resistance (very often supporters of the Resistance are simply labeled 'pirates' -- so much easier to execute them then, isn't it?). Other than that, you don't know him at all, other than he is surely wealthy and powerful. As a Valencian, you might realize that there may be more to the politics here than meets the eye...
Quentin: OK (I just KNOW my brothers are going to hate me for this) -MML (Mini Magic Lamp) rings-

Griffin(hologram): OK, we all have our dates.

Quentin: Oh, you see, about that...

-one explanation later-

Alexander(hologram): WHAT?! YOU MEAN I'M STUCK WITH ARLECHINNO WITHOUT A DATE PLAN? YOU KNOW HOW MAD SHE GETS WHEN SHE DOESN'T GET HER WAY!!!! Quentin, GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Griffin conks Alexander on the head. Alexander falls asleep soundly.

Griffin: What are we supposed to do Quentin, we promised these girls a fabulous date.

Quentin: I don't know, take them to a ball in Avalon, a rodeo in Coolranch, the fanciest restaurant in Marleybone. Just stay calm, be gentlemen, listen to what they have to say, and you'll do fine -hangs up-.

Valona: They're doomed, aren't they?

Quentin: Considering this is their first time dating, yes, 100% doomed.

Quentin and Valona arrive at Valencia early for the ball, waiting for the other resistance members joining in on the fun.

OK, are you all almost ready?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
OOC: I just want to say how much I like this last sequence you all have been doing, about the fighting styles and what not. It is such a pleasure to read and really adding so much to the story. Really nice writing, I think!

And Chrissy, you are a 'Dread Pirate' now! Cool!

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
CdeWinter on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
"Tired already Lizzy?" Scarlet asked in an amused sort of way. She had just finished the practice bout with Lizzy, and was almost laughing at the way Lizzy had collapsed at the end of it. "You use up too much energy while fighting Lizzy. May I teach you my form of fencing? You will need a rapier zough, it cannot be done wiz only daggers." Scarlet continued while sitting down beside Lizzy.

(OOC: I have to do a bit of research here. I sadly am not a fencing master like Scarlet, but I have heard and read a bit about one style of Italian (I think it was Italian) fencing that was designed to use as little energy while fighting as possible, while at the same time forcing the opponent to use as much energy as possible. This way Scarlet (or Lizzy, or Anne) would quickly exhaust their opponent without moving very much themselves. Supposedly, the fencing master who created this school of fencing was able to defeat 40 (I think) opponents in a single day using this technique.)
OOC: As I go through the different roleplays, sometimes I change my character's appearance. In Roleplay IV, she's currently wearing Grizzleheim clothes (specifically the ones that you craft in Sudrilund, though she is without a helmet, as this is too heavy for her), in Roleplay II, she's wearing Skull Island clothes, in Roleplay - Secrets of the Skull, she's wearing Sarah Steele's Mouse Corsair outfit... the list continues. I don't change her weapons as often, but it was in Roleplay IV that I decided Lizzy (the roleplaying character, anyway) would be using primarily dual (pun!) rapiers as weapons, and this is true for this roleplay, although I realize I've failed to mention this. Let's go into Lizzy's fighting style, shall we?

Elizabeth Tudor generally likes to make her fights as quick as possible, and if she can't win, then she knows of a special nerve in the clavicle, and when hit with the handle of her rapier (or dagger), it renders an opponent completely immobile. If she doesn't use this, then she'll use her knees and her 'famous elbows (!)', and when she's using her rapiers, she likes to cut the enemy in different parts of the arm, the one(s) wielding the weapon of the opponent. By doing this she gives the opponent too many minor wounds to keep up with, leaving them flustered, in which case she would either finish the enemy off (if it's an opponent worthy of death, which she's only come across once, and they ended up surviving) or bind them to something and blindfold them, preventing them from escaping and following her easily. (Poor Warwick...)

Or, she'll leap around the enemy, flipping and dodging all attacks to prevent the enemy from landing a single hit while at the same time making them tired and loose their energy. She'll usually communicate with them while doing this, whether asking them questions or badgering them into becoming even more flustered. Overall, though, she uses cleverness to get through a fight. She'll learn the opponent's fighting style and counteract it. If it's an armada dragoon whose slow to move, then she'll be extremely quick so that the dragoon can't catch her or attack her, and quickly disable it. If it's hand-to-hand combat against a battle angel, Lizzy would swiftly end the fight as she knows that fighting the angel too long would make it to where she would lose her energy, and potentially be defeated by the battle angel. She keeps her eye out for those.

But... in this roleplay, Lizzy is already using Battle Angel's rapiers.

-

This being said, it would be kind of hard for me to imagine Lizzy fighting Jack. It sounds like she and Jack have similar fighting styles, waiting for the opponent to make the first move to learn how they fight and adapt to it. *Shrugs* This works, you're right, it does seem like it would take a while for the fight to end.

However, this changes in some fan fiction that I'm writing, when Lizzy's more than a year older and preparing to enter 'The Machine'...

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Serpent996 on Oct 12, 2013 wrote:
I watched the fights with interest. These pirates seemed pretty good, although a few fights ended up in a tickle contest (rather hilarious, I might add), but I had my doubts about how it would hold up in a real brawl against Zeus knows how many clockworks. I knew I could handle myself, as could Emma, but I couldn't be sure of the others until I saw them in action. With that in mind, I took the opportunity to do private, one-on-one fights with them. I thought it rather funny when, after one fight, my previous opponent (Lizzie) tried to warn my next opponent (Scarlet) of my techniques. That second fight was short and funny, especially so since she did not know I changed my fighting style every time. With Lizzie, I had matched her style and worn her down until she made a mistake (it took quite a while). Scarlet had been ready for it, and went into her offensive ready for that. Instead, I had been brutal, disregarding my safety (or so it seemed) and overwhelming her. That fight had lasted, I dunno, maybe a minute? She'd been a lot more cautious with me ever since.

(Jack's tactics, as I described above, change every time he fights. All you can count on is that he moves really fast! He's not to good at fighting magic users, but excels at fighting groups, and isn't too shabby in one-on-one fights either.)
[OOC: First, clearly I'm back. I just got back home this evening. Next, onto a couple of points.
Serpent or Jack, I understand that you are new to the message boards roleplays and may not know all of the background stories and personalities of our pirates. While Scarlet may occasionally lose a fencing match, she would never lose in a match that could be considered short and funny. Scarlet is a fencing master, she has been studying several techniques of fencing since she was little. Also, Scarlet's main strengths are her observational abilities and her quick creative thinking. This means that Scarlet would quickly see that Jack was using a different technique, and would therefore switch her technique accordingly.

And killing clockworks is a bit of a speciality for Scarlet, she has even gone as far as disguising herself as a student in Valencia just so that she could study the clockworks up close and learn their weaknesses, Scarlet would be very offended by anyone who thinks that she could not handle herself against clockworks.

Please remember, Scarlet is an experienced Swashbuckler, she has many tricks up her sleeves. Scarlet is also very fast, and very agile, besides that her height gives her an extended reach meaning that she can hit most opponents before they can get within striking distance of her. Mainly, I'm trying to say that while Scarlet is not perfect, she would never lose a match that lasts only a minute. Thirdly, nobody tries to tickle Scarlet, she is actually very polite and very proper, she is not a giggle happy girly girl.]

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:
Chrissy sat on a barrel and watched the practice bouts. As a privateer she excelled in helping her crew do better, with getting better weapons to them or making sure they had what ever they needed in order to fight better. When she was cornered and had to fight herself she would hit big and hard but she knew that would not work undercover. Her large, hard hitting moves would be way too obvious. Even her wonderful slashy swords were big and she loved them but she could tell that they would really be in the way at a ball. She still wanted to do what she did best and just be there for everyone and make sure they had what ever they needed to do well. She always had a knack for that, to sense a need and do what was needed to help. This was why she was so pleased to play the role of the servant. It was like second nature to be there for others. She sat and watched all the wonderful ways that the others had for fighting and knew that she would have to adapt. But which way would fit with her protective, supportive heart? Maybe the best way was to try each way and see what she could incorporate with her support style.
Chrissy walked over to Scarlet and handed her the soothing tea that she could sense that she needed and looked at her friend and asked. "So Scarlet, would you mind making some time to show me how you do that so well?"
[OOC: Alright, so I did some research during my time away and learned more about the fencing technique I was trying to describe in my previous post.

The fencing master was a Spaniard named Don Miguel Perez De Mendoza, he did not defeat 40 opponents in a single day (I'm not sure where I got that number), it was actually 17 opponents in single afternoon. Still rather impressive. The technique is La Verdadera Destreza ( I hope I spelt that correctly) which means "The True Art" (at least that's what I read, I don't speak Spanish at all). This technique incorporated reasoning, geometry and early biomechanics and was tied to an intellectual, philosophical, and moral ideal.]

"Oui, Chrissy, of course I can teach you zis technique. I should say zat it is only one technique zat I know. 'owever, you will be needing to borrow a rapier." Scarlet answered Chrissy as she politely accepted the cup of tea offered to her. " 'ow about we head up to ze main deck, we could use a bit more room zan we 'ave down 'ere."

Chrissy and Scarlet left the lower decks, climbed up to the ship's main deck. Blinking in the sunlight, Scarlet scanned the open deck and chose a place clear of tackle and other various supplies.

"Maintenant Chrissy" Scarlet began, "Take ze rapier and face me. It is best to picture, a circle that lies between us. Each of us will be on opposite sides of zis circle. Now extend your sword arm to shoulder 'eight and turn your body sideways to me." Scarlet demonstrated the stance to Chrissy and smiled as Chrissy correctly copied her. "Très bon Chrissy! Now, while using zis technique, you do not move toward your opponent, instead you move sidways, always staying on ze edge of zis circle. When your opponent lunges like so," Scarlet said as she quickly took a large step towards Chrissy with the tip of her rapier stopping just before striking Chrissy, "You parry my attack and step to my left or right. Zis gives you an opportunity to attack me quickly before I can recover from my attack. Oui, so we begin our fight slowly." Scarlet said as she resumed her first position holding her sword at shoulder hight pointing towards Chrissy. "Remember, Chrissy, you can control which way your opponent moves by stepping to ze left or right."

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Sam Underhill on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
"The third thing we must do," Magdelena told Sam, "is teach you to dance."

"Are you sure you've thought this through," Sam asked, "Is this absolutely necessary?"

"Everyone dances at a ball," the Unicorn declared decisively, ending the debate. Surprisingly he crew put together a makeshift band. Egg Shen played the recorder, and Emmett the fiddle. Subodai even produced a bodhran from somewhere. Even though the music wasn't of the proper repertorie, Magdelena pronounced their efforts a success.

It began with a choreographed dance, Amaroso. Sam just stood there while Magdelena performed a series of complex moves away from him, using her expressive body language to accent the flirtatious nature of the piece. Sam quickly lost any notion of balance or ability when he attempted to duplicate the steps on his own.

Sarah Steele bravely volunteered to assist as a stand in, and while she was capable of performing a few of the steps, poor Sam was hopeless. Sarah quickly bowed out scant minutes later to massage life back into her toes.

"Let's try something easier," Magdelena suggested, then showed Sam some basic steps. Sempio was only a step forward on the left foot, then followed by the right foot for the next sempio. Doppio was a step left, right, left, then bringing the right foot under the upraised heel of the left. This met with mild success.

"Let's try something else. Hmm. La Volta. In this dance you lift me by the stays."

"By your what!?"

"Fine then, put your hands on my waist." The sniggering began instantly from the crew as Sam turned beet red.

Ratbeard bowed to Bonnie Anne, El Toro bowed to Sarah Steele, and then the miscreants were off, twirling maniacally around the deck in imaginary patterns, laughing hysterically while the band played on.

"This may be harder than I thought," Magdelena mused. "But I could teach Umberto, I will teach you."

Sam swallowed hard. He'd rather be facing an Armada officer than his dance partner just now.
"The fourth thing we must do," Magdelena told Sam, "is acquaint you with how we Valencians run things in Padova. You are familiar with the overall setup?"

"There a city coucil of... six or seven, isn't it? They pretty much run the show, and the Doge runs the council."

"Very good," Magdelena sat back, pleasantly surprised. Every now and then, this boy actually impressed her. "Now everyone knows that His Serenity, Nicolo Foscari, thinks the Armada is the greatest thing since... sliced bread. And so do the other council members. Well, except for Duca Tomasso Vinaldi, who disappeared after speaking up for the Resistance. Contessa Beatrice Pergolesi is tolerated for similar views, but she is getting on in years and very rich." The Unicorn adopted a deep, creaky voice, "We didn't need the Armada in the old days, we sailed our ships uphill, both ways..."

Sam giggled in delight at the picture she had conjured. "So all this means... what, for me? Or is it us?"

Magdelena hid her face behind her fan. Every now and then, this boy disconcerted her with just how perceptive he could be. "Our job is simply to keep our ears open for anything interesting that might occur. You never know just who will be at the Ball. I hear the Doge wants to arrest Tomasso for treason, even if it would mean a terrible breach of etiquette. Besides, our biggest job will be to have fun!"

Sam smiled innocently. Magdelena Vendelino was an intriguing mixture. There were times he wished she would join his crew, and other times he was most definitely glad she was not part of the team. That she was playing with his emotions was a given, that he did not know how to respond was also a given. He never had much practice dealing with girls before. And Bonnie Anne and Sarah Steele didn't really count as girls, did they?

Meanwhile, Magdelena was thinking quickly about her next move. It was not an easy task she had taken on - trying to keep Sam too busy to figure what was truly going on, while keeping him moving along in the direction she wanted him to go. Besides, she was actually beginning to take a liking to him. Acting flirtatious was getting too easy. "We can discuss the other council members later. Whom you truly need to know about is... Michaelangelo." Her voice dropped to an almost conspiratorial whisper.

"Now him, I think I've heard of." Sam puffed up a bit, priding himself on his knowledge of the arts for once.

"Not that one." Sam deflated. "This one used to be a... friend of mine."

"Let me guess, ex-boyfriend?"

"NO! Well, yes. Anyway, he is now no longer a friend, and will do whatever he can to discredit me at the library. Attempting to embarass me at the Ball would be so like him."

"Let me make another guess. He's handsome, virile, intelligent, the envy of other Unicorns. And you want to use me to make him jealous." Girls were so easy to see through.

Magdelena smiled winningly. Men were soooo easy to manipulate.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Sam Underhill on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
"The fourth thing we must do," Magdelena told Sam, "is acquaint you with how we Valencians run things in Padova. You are familiar with the overall setup?"

"There a city coucil of... six or seven, isn't it? They pretty much run the show, and the Doge runs the council."

"Very good," Magdelena sat back, pleasantly surprised. Every now and then, this boy actually impressed her. "Now everyone knows that His Serenity, Nicolo Foscari, thinks the Armada is the greatest thing since... sliced bread. And so do the other council members. Well, except for Duca Tomasso Vinaldi, who disappeared after speaking up for the Resistance. Contessa Beatrice Pergolesi is tolerated for similar views, but she is getting on in years and very rich." The Unicorn adopted a deep, creaky voice, "We didn't need the Armada in the old days, we sailed our ships uphill, both ways..."

Sam giggled in delight at the picture she had conjured. "So all this means... what, for me? Or is it us?"

Magdelena hid her face behind her fan. Every now and then, this boy disconcerted her with just how perceptive he could be. "Our job is simply to keep our ears open for anything interesting that might occur. You never know just who will be at the Ball. I hear the Doge wants to arrest Tomasso for treason, even if it would mean a terrible breach of etiquette. Besides, our biggest job will be to have fun!"

Sam smiled innocently. Magdelena Vendelino was an intriguing mixture. There were times he wished she would join his crew, and other times he was most definitely glad she was not part of the team. That she was playing with his emotions was a given, that he did not know how to respond was also a given. He never had much practice dealing with girls before. And Bonnie Anne and Sarah Steele didn't really count as girls, did they?

Meanwhile, Magdelena was thinking quickly about her next move. It was not an easy task she had taken on - trying to keep Sam too busy to figure what was truly going on, while keeping him moving along in the direction she wanted him to go. Besides, she was actually beginning to take a liking to him. Acting flirtatious was getting too easy. "We can discuss the other council members later. Whom you truly need to know about is... Michaelangelo." Her voice dropped to an almost conspiratorial whisper.

"Now him, I think I've heard of." Sam puffed up a bit, priding himself on his knowledge of the arts for once.

"NO! Well, yes. Anyway, he is now no longer a friend, and will do whatever he can to discredit me at the library. Attempting to embarass me at the Ball would be so like him."

"Let me make another guess. He's handsome, virile, intelligent, the envy of other Unicorns. And you want to use me to make him jealous." Girls were so easy to see through.

[OOC: Nice line about "sailing our ships uphill both ways" Sam, I supposed that could actually be possible with the way that water and I guess Aether piles up into small hills due to the coriolis effect. I also just realised that the wind lanes are gyres! Incedently, I actually did walk uphill both ways on my way to my first elementary school, there was actually a small river valley between my house and my school, meaning that there was an "uphill" in both directions.]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:
OOC: I just want to say how much I like this last sequence you all have been doing, about the fighting styles and what not. It is such a pleasure to read and really adding so much to the story. Really nice writing, I think!

And Chrissy, you are a 'Dread Pirate' now! Cool!
OOC x Blushing x Thank you kindly

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CdeWinter on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:
[OOC: Alright, so I did some research during my time away and learned more about the fencing technique I was trying to describe in my previous post.

The fencing master was a Spaniard named Don Miguel Perez De Mendoza, he did not defeat 40 opponents in a single day (I'm not sure where I got that number), it was actually 17 opponents in single afternoon. Still rather impressive. The technique is La Verdadera Destreza ( I hope I spelt that correctly) which means "The True Art" (at least that's what I read, I don't speak Spanish at all). This technique incorporated reasoning, geometry and early biomechanics and was tied to an intellectual, philosophical, and moral ideal.]

"Oui, Chrissy, of course I can teach you zis technique. I should say zat it is only one technique zat I know. 'owever, you will be needing to borrow a rapier." Scarlet answered Chrissy as she politely accepted the cup of tea offered to her. " 'ow about we head up to ze main deck, we could use a bit more room zan we 'ave down 'ere."

Chrissy and Scarlet left the lower decks, climbed up to the ship's main deck. Blinking in the sunlight, Scarlet scanned the open deck and chose a place clear of tackle and other various supplies.

"Maintenant Chrissy" Scarlet began, "Take ze rapier and face me. It is best to picture, a circle that lies between us. Each of us will be on opposite sides of zis circle. Now extend your sword arm to shoulder 'eight and turn your body sideways to me." Scarlet demonstrated the stance to Chrissy and smiled as Chrissy correctly copied her. "Très bon Chrissy! Now, while using zis technique, you do not move toward your opponent, instead you move sidways, always staying on ze edge of zis circle. When your opponent lunges like so," Scarlet said as she quickly took a large step towards Chrissy with the tip of her rapier stopping just before striking Chrissy, "You parry my attack and step to my left or right. Zis gives you an opportunity to attack me quickly before I can recover from my attack. Oui, so we begin our fight slowly." Scarlet said as she resumed her first position holding her sword at shoulder hight pointing towards Chrissy. "Remember, Chrissy, you can control which way your opponent moves by stepping to ze left or right."
Chrissy nervously bit at her lip and tried to concentrate. Her mind was spinning in circles. The rapier felt so silly and light in her hand. She was well aware of how deadly it could be but it was so light she kept over compensating and slashing way above where she wanted to. She concentrated on the circle concept but it felt so much like she had to wait for Scarlet to move before she could and thus step aside and react. This was fine for someone who just wanted to attack but she knew that Scarlet knew better and started thinking ahead way too far and kept seeing her react to anything she would do. She was used to attacking not reacting and every time she wanted to attack she stopped herself so she would be ready to react. She wound up looking like a silly coward that didn't want to engage and when she did she slashed wildly, her arm used to a much heavier weapon.
What was making matters worse was that Chrissy had never really sparred before. She had learned to fight just to survive and had never had a friendly fight in her life. Being a good observer she practiced moves on her own and just plowed right in to stay alive and her quick reflexes and ability to sense what others needed or were going to do was her trick.
Standing here trying to engage with someone she cared about was really messing with her mind. Her problem was that she didn't know how to pretend to clobber. She just knew how to clobber. And now she was trying to stop all she knew and keep her arm from flying all over the place from this light weapon.
Making this all the worse was that Scarlet was so good at this that whenever she just thought about connecting with her rapier she just wasn't there. She just seemed to melt away whenever she flailed wildly in her direction.
"Oh I feel like a cabin boy on his first voyage" she said in exasperation.
"I really don't know how to spar. I am afraid I will hurt you while at the same time I can't even get close to you and I know it. My brain doesn't know how to process this. When the lives of others are at stake I just Do, this is pretending to do and I feel like I have land sickness in my brain.
For all my observation skills I can't seem to absorb this. What is your trick? How do you do this? My fighting has always been in earnest and I cannot think of you as an enemy. I have watched you guys spar and it looks so easy, but I have never felt so out of place in my life. The last thing I want to do is hurt a friend while at the same time I realize that I couldn't get near you anyway." Chrissy gave a trembling sigh. "I think my mental rigging is all snarled up."

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
[OOC: First, clearly I'm back. I just got back home this evening. Next, onto a couple of points.
Serpent or Jack, I understand that you are new to the message boards roleplays and may not know all of the background stories and personalities of our pirates. While Scarlet may occasionally lose a fencing match, she would never lose in a match that could be considered short and funny. Scarlet is a fencing master, she has been studying several techniques of fencing since she was little. Also, Scarlet's main strengths are her observational abilities and her quick creative thinking. This means that Scarlet would quickly see that Jack was using a different technique, and would therefore switch her technique accordingly.

And killing clockworks is a bit of a speciality for Scarlet, she has even gone as far as disguising herself as a student in Valencia just so that she could study the clockworks up close and learn their weaknesses, Scarlet would be very offended by anyone who thinks that she could not handle herself against clockworks.

Please remember, Scarlet is an experienced Swashbuckler, she has many tricks up her sleeves. Scarlet is also very fast, and very agile, besides that her height gives her an extended reach meaning that she can hit most opponents before they can get within striking distance of her. Mainly, I'm trying to say that while Scarlet is not perfect, she would never lose a match that lasts only a minute. Thirdly, nobody tries to tickle Scarlet, she is actually very polite and very proper, she is not a giggle happy girly girl.]
OOC: Notice that I didn't have Anne playfully cheat with tickling in a bout with Scarlet! I knew better. I see that mostly happening with practicing hand to hand combat with Elizabeth, and perhaps with Emma as well. Jack, however, could swiftly win a match with Anne by tricking her... and Anne would laugh heartily at her mistake once she got over the shock. Jack doesn't know the pirate girls outside of Emma, so sure! he would be doubtful of their skill, his doubt increased I'm sure by tiny, laughing, playful Anne who doesn't seem to be taking everything seriously (although, of course, she does). Anne is trying new techniques and new ideas, and therefore I expect her to be trounced quite often as she struggles to apply her lessons. But of course, she is very good at what she knows...

~
The journey had gone well, but it was drawing to its close. Dona Graziella addressed the pirates as they approached the storm gate to Valencia, leading them as a group below decks. They had just set sail from a small island inhabited mostly by Valencians in exile, having dropped off some of the artisans there.

"Captains, we now must prepare to enter Valencian skies, where we must be stopped and searched by Armada agents. So many humans on board this vessel would trigger instant suspicion. Therefore we must hide as many of you as are willing in the smuggling holes devised in this ship." So saying, Graziella slid her fingers into an imperceptible trigger, and pulled out what was surely the lid for such a hole.

'Hole' was not a truly accurate term. The chamber revealed was shallow and long, more resembling a coffin than anything else. It was long enough for a full grown Unicorn, so held plenty of room for humans, but one would have to lie still and close. There was certainly no room for significant movement, especially as the inside of the lid held a series of wood loops and short pins.

"The inside of the cover is designed to ensure that the surface sound of the smuggling hole is the same as the rest of the inside of the ship, whether that hole is filled or empty. The Armada knows to search for hidden compartments; this type was recently devised by one of our engineers, and the secret has not yet been discovered by the enemy."

"We feel that the presence of two humans on board is something we can cover -- we have papers to adequately explain your presence. I was thinking that perhaps Jack and Chrissy -- who will be able to observe more as time goes on as they are not taking on the role of the Vinaldi children -- would be the best to be the ones outside the smuggling holes and on the decks with the rest of us. But it also depends on if there are any of you who can not stand confinement," Dona Graziella finished, a concerned sympathy in her eyes.

Anne looked solemnly at the smuggling hole. Being shut up in there would not be pleasant, but endurable. I can just sing all those lovely dance tunes in my head during that time, she consoled herself cheerfully.

Ensign
May 31, 2012

OOC: Don't worry, I wasn't forgetting. Jack is a bit of an, ah, unreliable narrator. He won't outright lie, but he will exaggerate. That being said, I doubt he would've let the fight last long, though. He's, like Scarlet, a talented Denver and brawler, and is very fast. And he does not fight fair. In a fencing match, Scarlet might beat him, but in any other fight, Jack wouldn't let her, or anyone, have a chance. He'd utilize every dirty trick he knows to win. And if you underestimate him, even for a second? He will take the chance and win. And do not forget, he was taking a huge gamble by using the brutal tactics, but it paid off. Plus, there are things about Jack that can't be observed, they have to be experienced. While I respect you and your character, Jack is not an easy man to beat. Unless magic is involved, that's his big weakness.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
OOC: Notice that I didn't have Anne playfully cheat with tickling in a bout with Scarlet! I knew better. I see that mostly happening with practicing hand to hand combat with Elizabeth, and perhaps with Emma as well. Jack, however, could swiftly win a match with Anne by tricking her... and Anne would laugh heartily at her mistake once she got over the shock. Jack doesn't know the pirate girls outside of Emma, so sure! he would be doubtful of their skill, his doubt increased I'm sure by tiny, laughing, playful Anne who doesn't seem to be taking everything seriously (although, of course, she does). Anne is trying new techniques and new ideas, and therefore I expect her to be trounced quite often as she struggles to apply her lessons. But of course, she is very good at what she knows...

~
The journey had gone well, but it was drawing to its close. Dona Graziella addressed the pirates as they approached the storm gate to Valencia, leading them as a group below decks. They had just set sail from a small island inhabited mostly by Valencians in exile, having dropped off some of the artisans there.

"Captains, we now must prepare to enter Valencian skies, where we must be stopped and searched by Armada agents. So many humans on board this vessel would trigger instant suspicion. Therefore we must hide as many of you as are willing in the smuggling holes devised in this ship." So saying, Graziella slid her fingers into an imperceptible trigger, and pulled out what was surely the lid for such a hole.

'Hole' was not a truly accurate term. The chamber revealed was shallow and long, more resembling a coffin than anything else. It was long enough for a full grown Unicorn, so held plenty of room for humans, but one would have to lie still and close. There was certainly no room for significant movement, especially as the inside of the lid held a series of wood loops and short pins.

"The inside of the cover is designed to ensure that the surface sound of the smuggling hole is the same as the rest of the inside of the ship, whether that hole is filled or empty. The Armada knows to search for hidden compartments; this type was recently devised by one of our engineers, and the secret has not yet been discovered by the enemy."

"We feel that the presence of two humans on board is something we can cover -- we have papers to adequately explain your presence. I was thinking that perhaps Jack and Chrissy -- who will be able to observe more as time goes on as they are not taking on the role of the Vinaldi children -- would be the best to be the ones outside the smuggling holes and on the decks with the rest of us. But it also depends on if there are any of you who can not stand confinement," Dona Graziella finished, a concerned sympathy in her eyes.

Anne looked solemnly at the smuggling hole. Being shut up in there would not be pleasant, but endurable. I can just sing all those lovely dance tunes in my head during that time, she consoled herself cheerfully.
Maestra Lia's grey-green eyes softened as she looked at the solemn faces before her. "Dona Graziella, I think we have a little time before we approach the storm gates, yes? Time for a review of one of our more frivolous lessons, perhaps?"

Graziella smiled in assent. "Yes, something to refresh our minds would be pleasant. The captain will tell us when we must prepare."

The human Valencian woman had everyone go up on decks into the fresh air once more, and at her request, a Guinea pig girl apprentice handed out silk fans from a box to all the female captains.

"What, I don't get one?" Jack joked, and it did look funny, because the pirate girls were not in gowns anymore, but rather their ordinary clothes, the better to fit into the smuggling holes for those who would do so.

"Men have more options in speaking," Maestra Lia smilingly retorted, opening her fan with a practiced snap! that the pirates had yet to perfectly master. She looked to Signore Fillipo, and he came to join her with alacrity. Lia put her fan away with equal ease. Almost without any words passing between them the two Valencians started to dance in the pattern of Rostiboli Gioso, one of the Valencian bystanders suddenly picking up the tune on a recorder as he watched and another patting out the dance rhythm with her hands on the deck.

"Some time ago, when these dances were first fashionable," Lia explained, "a young lady was supposed to keep her eyes down as she danced, and not speak at all, to be the picture of both modesty and grace."

"Not so much fun for the gentleman," Fillipo added with a smile. "You can't tell what your partner is thinking!"

"Except, perhaps, for a few decorous flashes up of the eyes," Lia added, mischievously illustrating the flirtatious technique. "And of course, old ladies like myself have always had more license," she added with a little laugh, though in truth she was exaggerating. Although not young like the pirates, she was far from old. Her shining nut-brown hair, kept neatly in place by a fanciful little lace cap, had only a few strands of grey yet.

"Since young ladies were expected to be so quiet," the Valencian professor continued, back on topic, "they had to devise ways of communicating without words -- and part of this is the fan language you learned earlier this week. So, now you can say things like 'yes', 'no', 'you are making me blush', 'let's just be friends', and so forth."

Maestra Lia moved smoothly out of the dance, Signore Fillipo followed with a graceful bow to his partner, and the impromptu music stopped. "However, everyone in society knows that basic language. But it need not be that way. You can alter the meanings of the fan motions into a code that only you and your friends - or just a friend- know. You can use a flick of the fan to indicate when you are using conventional meanings, and when you are using code. You may wish to think about what codes you may devise to communicate to each other at the ball."

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Serpent996 on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
OOC: Don't worry, I wasn't forgetting. Jack is a bit of an, ah, unreliable narrator. He won't outright lie, but he will exaggerate. That being said, I doubt he would've let the fight last long, though. He's, like Scarlet, a talented Denver and brawler, and is very fast. And he does not fight fair. In a fencing match, Scarlet might beat him, but in any other fight, Jack wouldn't let her, or anyone, have a chance. He'd utilize every dirty trick he knows to win. And if you underestimate him, even for a second? He will take the chance and win. And do not forget, he was taking a huge gamble by using the brutal tactics, but it paid off. Plus, there are things about Jack that can't be observed, they have to be experienced. While I respect you and your character, Jack is not an easy man to beat. Unless magic is involved, that's his big weakness.
[OOC: I wasn't trying to say that Jack was a lesser pirate than Scarlet. I was only giving some of Scarlet's background and personality. Just like Jack, Scarlet is not easy to beat in a fight. However, I could see that if Jack is a buccaneer (which he sounds like), than he could disarm Scarlet with a particularly stong strike to her rapier, and during a friendly duel, Scarlet would definelty and graciously admitted defeat in this instance. If you don't mind then I will assume that this is what happend.]

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Quentin and Valona arrive on the island of Padova. The Masked Ball is over a day away, but Quentin has old friends here, and at the very least, can get a room for travelling scholars available in the dorms of the University. As they step upon land again, they see clean cobbled streets, houses with stucco covered walls in tints of white, tan, and pink, but all with red tiled roofs, and people bustling down the streets and busy at the open air markets.

In the distance, the white marble façade of the largest University buildings atop the highest hill sparkles in the wan sunlight, clearly the jewel in Padova's crown. There are plenty of other architectural jewels though, among them on the higher ground the houses of Padova's wealthy and important. The most splendid of those, of course, is the Doge's palace. Unlike family estates, the Doge's palace is transferred from one Doge to the next, and each successor evidently seems to wish to outdo their predecessor in elegance and splendor. When one Doge dies or is deposed, the Doge's family sees that splendor no more, though they can take certain consolation in their own family estates, which are never inconsiderable.

As Quentin and Valona pause as they leave their ship to get their bearings, then begin to stroll into the city, they do not see the pointed stare of one of the Crab dockworkers fixed upon them. Nor do they see him quietly leave his fellow laborers and disappear into the shadows of the many buildings facing the docks...

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
Maestra Lia's grey-green eyes softened as she looked at the solemn faces before her. "Dona Graziella, I think we have a little time before we approach the storm gates, yes? Time for a review of one of our more frivolous lessons, perhaps?"

Graziella smiled in assent. "Yes, something to refresh our minds would be pleasant. The captain will tell us when we must prepare."

The human Valencian woman had everyone go up on decks into the fresh air once more, and at her request, a Guinea pig girl apprentice handed out silk fans from a box to all the female captains.

"What, I don't get one?" Jack joked, and it did look funny, because the pirate girls were not in gowns anymore, but rather their ordinary clothes, the better to fit into the smuggling holes for those who would do so.

"Men have more options in speaking," Maestra Lia smilingly retorted, opening her fan with a practiced snap! that the pirates had yet to perfectly master. She looked to Signore Fillipo, and he came to join her with alacrity. Lia put her fan away with equal ease. Almost without any words passing between them the two Valencians started to dance in the pattern of Rostiboli Gioso, one of the Valencian bystanders suddenly picking up the tune on a recorder as he watched and another patting out the dance rhythm with her hands on the deck.

"Some time ago, when these dances were first fashionable," Lia explained, "a young lady was supposed to keep her eyes down as she danced, and not speak at all, to be the picture of both modesty and grace."

"Not so much fun for the gentleman," Fillipo added with a smile. "You can't tell what your partner is thinking!"

"Except, perhaps, for a few decorous flashes up of the eyes," Lia added, mischievously illustrating the flirtatious technique. "And of course, old ladies like myself have always had more license," she added with a little laugh, though in truth she was exaggerating. Although not young like the pirates, she was far from old. Her shining nut-brown hair, kept neatly in place by a fanciful little lace cap, had only a few strands of grey yet.

"Since young ladies were expected to be so quiet," the Valencian professor continued, back on topic, "they had to devise ways of communicating without words -- and part of this is the fan language you learned earlier this week. So, now you can say things like 'yes', 'no', 'you are making me blush', 'let's just be friends', and so forth."

Maestra Lia moved smoothly out of the dance, Signore Fillipo followed with a graceful bow to his partner, and the impromptu music stopped. "However, everyone in society knows that basic language. But it need not be that way. You can alter the meanings of the fan motions into a code that only you and your friends - or just a friend- know. You can use a flick of the fan to indicate when you are using conventional meanings, and when you are using code. You may wish to think about what codes you may devise to communicate to each other at the ball."
It was relaxing to be free from the movement-restricting apparel that was a bit, err, girly for Emma. However, she was happy with her dress and did not mind it all too much, but felt lucky it had not been a super frilly and overdone dress that was decked with pink colors as she usually dreaded. She was happy with what she was stuck- I mean, getting to wear. Dresses and skirts may not have been her thing, but she could put up with it for one night. She hoped.

A young guinea pig girl then did her job and passed fans to the girls. Emma's luckily wasn't too elaborate, but luckily a black fan with gold accents and a small rose attached to the place where the fan folded. And fan language- Emma was fluent in every other language except that.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 16, 2013 wrote:
Quentin and Valona arrive on the island of Padova. The Masked Ball is over a day away, but Quentin has old friends here, and at the very least, can get a room for travelling scholars available in the dorms of the University. As they step upon land again, they see clean cobbled streets, houses with stucco covered walls in tints of white, tan, and pink, but all with red tiled roofs, and people bustling down the streets and busy at the open air markets.

In the distance, the white marble façade of the largest University buildings atop the highest hill sparkles in the wan sunlight, clearly the jewel in Padova's crown. There are plenty of other architectural jewels though, among them on the higher ground the houses of Padova's wealthy and important. The most splendid of those, of course, is the Doge's palace. Unlike family estates, the Doge's palace is transferred from one Doge to the next, and each successor evidently seems to wish to outdo their predecessor in elegance and splendor. When one Doge dies or is deposed, the Doge's family sees that splendor no more, though they can take certain consolation in their own family estates, which are never inconsiderable.

As Quentin and Valona pause as they leave their ship to get their bearings, then begin to stroll into the city, they do not see the pointed stare of one of the Crab dockworkers fixed upon them. Nor do they see him quietly leave his fellow laborers and disappear into the shadows of the many buildings facing the docks...
Quentin had a feeling he was being watched. He grabbed Valona by the arm and started running. The Clockwork Crab followed them into an abandoned building. When the crab burst in, Quentin and Valona were nowhere to be found. AT least until they closed the door behind them and Quentin pinned the clockwork crustacean against a wall.

Quentin: Alright crabby, why were you following us?

Clockwork Crab: I'm not telling you anything about the Doge hiring me...darn, I said that out loud, didn't I?

Valona: For a clockwork he is not that bright.

Quentin: He is just and old labor clockwork form years ago.

Clockwork Crab: Well at least I won't tell you that I'm one of the spies assigned to the Vinaldi Family...DARN IT NOT AGAIN!

Quentin's eyes widened, then he smiled much wider than Phule's smile. Then Valona quickly built a coffin that's the size of the clockwork crustacean out of leftover wood from the building. The clockwork was getting nervous.

Clockwork Crab: Why are you smiling like that, and why does she a have a coffin just my...uh-oh.

Quentin gagged the clockwork's mouth and Valona stuffed him in the coffin. They both kicked the coffin off the edge of the island. The coffin fell straight downward, the clockwork crustacean was gone for good.

Quentin: One spy down...

Valona: ...and who knows how many more to go.

They both walked away with superior smirks on their faces, feeling confident that the Doge will be captured and the Vinaldi Family will be saved in no time at all.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:

~

Scarlet looked into one of the smuggled holes and decided that she had been in tighter places while exploring the spiral. One dark cave back in Cool Ranch was particularily strong in her mind.

"I 'ave no problem with small places, 'owever, may I at least 'ave a pillow?" Scarlet politely asked Graziella. Indeed, Scarlet saw the smuggling hole as an ideal place for a nap.

[OOC: Anne, I just remembered that you had asked about colour preferences for Scarlet's dress; I don't know much about historical fashion trends, but I envision a mostly dark emerald green dress for Scarlet, I think that would go best with her green eyes and red hair. And, Scarlet is just girly enough to request this.]

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Sam Underhill on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:

"The Ball is the day after tomorrow. Do you have any questions beforehand, or are you comfortable going in now?" Magdelena Vendelino sat poised prettily on a bench at the Laurentine Library.

"If I remember correctly," Sam mused, "there are no open weapons allowed, or should I say no weapons at all, although everyone ignores that rule and conceals all they can carry without rattling."

"Molto sì," the Unicorn responded. "Anything else?"

"Steer clear of the councillors who support the Armada. That would be Duca Giovanni Benbo, Dona Elena Cornaro, Conte Cesare Tori, Signore Guiseppe Zipoli, and... one more."

"Signore Luciano Bononcini. He's the guinea pig who heads up the merchant faction. That's very good by the way, you memorized them all in such a short period of time." Magdelena preened at her pupil's performance.

"Thanks, but that's pretty common in my line of work."

"Which reminds me, we cannot mention the 'P' word around you. We can talk about other pirates, but you need some other line of work - or non-work. A noble perhaps?"

"Be serious. How about a scholar at the Laurentine?"

"No, we are all known and you are not. A visiting professor perhaps - Dottore Sam?"

"Professor of what? If anyone knew anything about the subject we picked, it would be obvious I know nothing at all about it!"

"Very well then, an old family friend. Hmmm... I have it. The Throckmortons are an old Marleybonean family of humans. There must be hundreds of them running around the spiral. Considered an eccentric bunch for one odd reason or another; no one would notice or even comment about one showing up for the Ball. Bene, that would work splendidly."

"So is that what you had in mind to begin with, or was it supposed to be my idea?" Sam decided it was time to clear up a few things. "It seems to me we always end up exactly where you wanted to go from the start. Why not just tell me what you want?"

"All in good time, mio amico," Magdelena smiled good-naturedly. "Our relationship should be seen as still developing. After all, we just met recently and are still learning about each other. Anything else would look pat and therefore suspicious. If I asked you to keep a secret, could you?"

"Of course," Sam pouted. "I may be a pirate, but an honourable one I should think."

"No, no, I said that all wrong. What I mean to say is, I support the Resistance; everyone at the Library does to one degree or another. But you, as an outsider, will be asked many things - you should answer as if from Marleybone, not Skull Island. Or is that Grizzleheim I scent in your past?"

"How did you that I...?"

"Your accent and the idioms you use. All too easily spotted by a practiced linguist like myself, if I may say so." Sam could practically feel the smugness eminating from the Unicorn. "Now why don't we walk through Amoroso again?"

So successfully distracted was Sam, he never even noticed the change of direction the conversation had taken.

Ensign
May 31, 2012
CdeWinter on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
[OOC: I wasn't trying to say that Jack was a lesser pirate than Scarlet. I was only giving some of Scarlet's background and personality. Just like Jack, Scarlet is not easy to beat in a fight. However, I could see that if Jack is a buccaneer (which he sounds like), than he could disarm Scarlet with a particularly stong strike to her rapier, and during a friendly duel, Scarlet would definelty and graciously admitted defeat in this instance. If you don't mind then I will assume that this is what happend.]
OOC: Normally I wouldn't mind at all, but Jack isn't a buccaneer. Plus, there are ways to win without disarming your opponent... How about we say he managed to win because of sheer luck?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Quentin Atherton on Oct 16, 2013 wrote:
Quentin had a feeling he was being watched. He grabbed Valona by the arm and started running. The Clockwork Crab followed them into an abandoned building. When the crab burst in, Quentin and Valona were nowhere to be found. AT least until they closed the door behind them and Quentin pinned the clockwork crustacean against a wall.

Quentin: Alright crabby, why were you following us?

Clockwork Crab: I'm not telling you anything about the Doge hiring me...darn, I said that out loud, didn't I?

Valona: For a clockwork he is not that bright.

Quentin: He is just and old labor clockwork form years ago.

Clockwork Crab: Well at least I won't tell you that I'm one of the spies assigned to the Vinaldi Family...DARN IT NOT AGAIN!

Quentin's eyes widened, then he smiled much wider than Phule's smile. Then Valona quickly built a coffin that's the size of the clockwork crustacean out of leftover wood from the building. The clockwork was getting nervous.

Clockwork Crab: Why are you smiling like that, and why does she a have a coffin just my...uh-oh.

Quentin gagged the clockwork's mouth and Valona stuffed him in the coffin. They both kicked the coffin off the edge of the island. The coffin fell straight downward, the clockwork crustacean was gone for good.

Quentin: One spy down...

Valona: ...and who knows how many more to go.

They both walked away with superior smirks on their faces, feeling confident that the Doge will be captured and the Vinaldi Family will be saved in no time at all.
(OOC: Hmm, not what I expected, but okay, I can run with it . But, I am surprised that you thought the Crab was a clockwork? That seems awfully strange, I mean, why would the Armada have clockwork crabs? They've all been more-or-less human in shape. When you encounter a member of the Armada, you will know it (for one thing, it's really hard to hide the fact they have no eyes!). The Armada is almost always obvious in their intentions. But as for others, I did warn you that things are not always what they seem...)
~

The improvised coffin tumbled through space, and just before it disappeared into the deep sky forever, it was caught by one grappling hook, then another. Slowly it was pulled back up onto the land, where two burly Crabs grabbed ahold of it, and began ripping the lid off with a crowbar. The Crab inside was blue and shivering as his compatriots hauled him out of the coffin and sat him on the ground.

"Tony! You okay?" one of the Crabs asked the previously imprisoned one. "Hey, Joey, go get a blanket for Tony." The other crab immediately left on that errand, while the first flung an arm around the shivering Tony.

"He tried to kill me," the Crab muttered, shivering harder.

"What? Who?"

"Quentin. And that girlfriend of his," Tony uttered bitterly.

"Quentin?! But... but you were keeping an eye on him. You were supposed to give him the information for a safe haven, and some useful contacts."

"Yeah, I know. But he caught me following him... and I... I just panicked. I ended up telling him the Doge sent me."

The other palmed his facial carapace with an audible smack. "Tony, you goof. It was Doge's son, Orlando, what hired us!"

"I know, but I just couldn't get the right words out. And then... then I think I told him I was a spy, but I was so addled I didn't say I was spying to help him."

Joey returned with a blanket in time to hear, and he and his friend exchanged a Look. It was sad but true: Tony was several meatballs short of a spaghetti platter.

"And then he and his girlfriend tossed me into a box, and threw it off a cliff. They tried to kill me," Tony reiterated, plainly too upset to think about anything else.

"Hey, hey, Tony, you are all right now," his friend comforted. "We'll just get some refreshment at the usual tavern at the docks, and soon you'll be right as chitin."

"So, then, what do we do about Quentin?" Joey asked soberly.

"Nothing. He's too dangerous. He nearly killed Tony! Why should we risk our necks to help him? We just go back to Orlando and tell him we tried. Hopefully we'll get some of our pay, but it's not worth trying to earn the rest of it. Let this Quentin fend for himself."

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Oct 16, 2013 wrote:
Scarlet looked into one of the smuggled holes and decided that she had been in tighter places while exploring the spiral. One dark cave back in Cool Ranch was particularily strong in her mind.

"I 'ave no problem with small places, 'owever, may I at least 'ave a pillow?" Scarlet politely asked Graziella. Indeed, Scarlet saw the smuggling hole as an ideal place for a nap.

[OOC: Anne, I just remembered that you had asked about colour preferences for Scarlet's dress; I don't know much about historical fashion trends, but I envision a mostly dark emerald green dress for Scarlet, I think that would go best with her green eyes and red hair. And, Scarlet is just girly enough to request this.]
The captain of the ship approached Graziella. "Ma dona, we are beginning the approach to the stormgate." Graziella thanked him, and addressed the pirate captains. "Ladies who are hiding below, would you please go to the smuggling holes now? Chrissy and Jack, don these clothes I have here and I will give you your papers."

Below, Elizabeth, Scarlet, Emma, and Anne placed themselves into the smuggling holes, and waited for the lids to be affixed to them. A pillow now lay in each, but Anne felt she would not be sleeping. She drew her dagger and held it in her right hand on her breast, like a funerary figure. If the worst happened- if she was discovered - she wanted to be armed and ready. Then the lid was placed over her, and she was left in the close dark.

Time to start singing those dance tunes in my head, Anne thought determinedly. But the first song that popped into her mind was not a dance tune, but rather a beautiful, melancholy piece that Maestra Lia had sung the previous evening, accompanied by Signore Fillipo on the lute. O mia cieca e dura sorte - 'o blind and harsh destiny' sang the words with achingly sweet tune and lovely open harmonies that yet conveyed a feeling of depth and richness. Although the song was sad, Anne was greatly drawn to it. Though she was an inherently cheerful person, she loved a great many melancholy songs. Perhaps singing those songs drew the melancholy out of her, Anne briefly considered, and then focused on the music in memory...

Meanwhile Jack and Chrissy had changed into the Valencian clothes that would mark them as common servants. Chrissy found herself in a faded blue round gown, with a worn but clean white linen apron, and a cap that confined most of her hair. Jack was in a poorer version of a typical gentleman's suit: white linen shirt (of coarse linen, in his case), and waistcoat, breeches, and frockcoat of a sturdy brown fustian [cotton-linen] that had seen better days. His stockings were of a coarse wool and his shoes had no buckles, but were instead tied with a bit of leather. Chrissy faired better: her shoes did not have buckles either, but did have a nice piece of blue silk ribbon to fasten them.

Dona Graziella handed them their papers. "These papers confirm your roles as my household servants. It is unlikely the Armada will question you, but if they do, keep your eyes lowered, speak softly and humbly, and confine your answers to only the questions asked. Do not ask any questions yourself. Do not comment on anything. And if - heavens forbid - anything should go wrong, do not interfere -- even if one of your own is discovered! I know I am asking a lot of proud pirate captains. But should you reveal yourselves in any way, the whole game will be lost."

Then Graziella took her place with the captain and his officers, as the passengers waited on deck, waiting to be boarded by Armada soldiers.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
Mind if an innocent street musician play his tunes?

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:
(OOC: Hmm, not what I expected, but okay, I can run with it . But, I am surprised that you thought the Crab was a clockwork? That seems awfully strange, I mean, why would the Armada have clockwork crabs? They've all been more-or-less human in shape. When you encounter a member of the Armada, you will know it (for one thing, it's really hard to hide the fact they have no eyes!). The Armada is almost always obvious in their intentions. But as for others, I did warn you that things are not always what they seem...)
~

The improvised coffin tumbled through space, and just before it disappeared into the deep sky forever, it was caught by one grappling hook, then another. Slowly it was pulled back up onto the land, where two burly Crabs grabbed ahold of it, and began ripping the lid off with a crowbar. The Crab inside was blue and shivering as his compatriots hauled him out of the coffin and sat him on the ground.

"Tony! You okay?" one of the Crabs asked the previously imprisoned one. "Hey, Joey, go get a blanket for Tony." The other crab immediately left on that errand, while the first flung an arm around the shivering Tony.

"He tried to kill me," the Crab muttered, shivering harder.

"What? Who?"

"Quentin. And that girlfriend of his," Tony uttered bitterly.

"Quentin?! But... but you were keeping an eye on him. You were supposed to give him the information for a safe haven, and some useful contacts."

"Yeah, I know. But he caught me following him... and I... I just panicked. I ended up telling him the Doge sent me."

The other palmed his facial carapace with an audible smack. "Tony, you goof. It was Doge's son, Orlando, what hired us!"

"I know, but I just couldn't get the right words out. And then... then I think I told him I was a spy, but I was so addled I didn't say I was spying to help him."

Joey returned with a blanket in time to hear, and he and his friend exchanged a Look. It was sad but true: Tony was several meatballs short of a spaghetti platter.

"And then he and his girlfriend tossed me into a box, and threw it off a cliff. They tried to kill me," Tony reiterated, plainly too upset to think about anything else.

"Hey, hey, Tony, you are all right now," his friend comforted. "We'll just get some refreshment at the usual tavern at the docks, and soon you'll be right as chitin."

"So, then, what do we do about Quentin?" Joey asked soberly.

"Nothing. He's too dangerous. He nearly killed Tony! Why should we risk our necks to help him? We just go back to Orlando and tell him we tried. Hopefully we'll get some of our pay, but it's not worth trying to earn the rest of it. Let this Quentin fend for himself."
Valona heard everything from the the edge and told Quentin. Quentin face palmed and teleported to the ship to say he was sorry. The crabs didn't believe him, so Quentin gave Tony a blanket than read body temperatures and heats and cools the body if it's too hot or too cold.

Tony: Thank you, I accept your apology.

The Crabs told Quentin and Valona about the Vinaldi mansion secrets. It used to belong to the toymaker, and the toymaker built a secret bunker for the next family in case the Armada took over and forced everyone to support them. The toymaker made sure only living things could get in the bunker, and it was filled with emergency provisions to last for several years.

Quentin: OK, thanks for the info, tell Orlando I said thanks.

Valona: It's almost time for the ball, lets get going.

Valona and Quentin darted off for the mansion with the crabs, and waited for everyone to show up.

At the Marleybone carnival, the brothers were having fun with their dates. Arlechinno is riding the Ferris Wheel with Alexander, Griffin broke the arm wrestler's game and won a whole bunch of tickets for Alleviare, Bernard won a stuffed puppy for Spia, and Noah was riding a roller coaster with Gracie. Everyone was having a lot of fun (at least until Noah threw up from the roller coaster, then they were really having fun).

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
The Undead Obeah on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:
Mind if an innocent street musician play his tunes?
Omar found a welcome response from the music-loving residents of Padova as he played his flute in the market place. The coins thrown into the proffered hat were not of large denomination, but were frequent enough. More frequent were the smiles of pleasure, the impromptu dancing at the playing of dance tunes, and even people breaking out in song when they recognized a piece. Once singers for all four parts of a madrigal began to sing, filling the air with voices and flute in perfect harmony.

He decided after a while that he had played enough in that particular spot, and it was time to move to a new one. A Guinea Pig woman, neatly dressed in a green linen round gown that attired her portly form, and a human man, dressed also in respectable if not rich fashion, were the last to toss coins into his hat as Omar stooped to pick it up, and as he bowed to them, he saw they were looking at him intently.

"Say, signore," the man began hesitantly. "You play the flute very well. Can you play a variety of dance tunes -- balli, minuets, sarabandes, and so forth? We are engaged to play for the Doge's masked ball the day after tomorrow, and our fellow flutist is now sick with a cold."

The Guinea Pig looked more skeptical. "I don't know, Luciano. He looks pretty scruffy to me."

"But he plays well, Gisela! And maybe he has a better suit of clothes at home. In any case, where will we find another flutist on short notice?"

"We have recorder players you know. They could take the parts. O very well," Gisela relented, seeing the pleading look on Luciano's face. "He does play well. If he can play the repertory, then he can come, if he wants the job. But if he doesn't have a better suit of clothes, he will have to stay towards the back."