Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Wizard101 VS Pirate101: Replay Value

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Which of these two games do you think has more replay value and why?

Wizard101 has 7 schools of magic whilst Pirate101 has 5 piratical classes, does the number of different classes play a big role in replay value?

Wizard101 has exclusive pets for each and every school of magic, however, Pirate101 has exclusive companions for each class, although there are more exclusive pets in a single class in Wizard101 then there are exclusive companions in a single class in Pirate101, does that help determine the decision of which game has more replay value?

Wizard101 has a variety of different spell for each and every school of magic, even taking into account the star school spells and shadow spells that you might not fit all into a single character, creating more replay value, Pirate101, however, has a variety of different epic talents, talents and powers, which vary depending on the class, but does Pirate101's multi-categories of variety defeat Wizard101's large single category or variety?

In Wizard101 the dialogue does not change allot, the only dialogue that is different between schools of magic are really the spell quest, whilst in Pirate101 the dialogue has a rather big difference depending on the class you choose, but does dialogue mean allot in terms of replay value?

In Wizard101, when you first create a character, you are asked to take a test, taking this test determines your school and really nothing else, whilst in Pirate101 when you create a character you are asked how you lost your parents, this will affect the Presidio companion you obtain and may play a bigger role later, you are asked which world you were raised in, which gives you a special talent and may play a bigger role later and last but not least you get to choose your class, but just because Pirate101's create-a-character decisions play a bigger role in the story than Wizard101's, does that give it more replay value?

Wizard101 has more classes, more spells, more school exclusive pets while Pirate101 has different battle styles(Wizards all use spells while Pirates use muskets, staffs or melee weapons/shields), exclusive companions, a change of dialogue and decisions that affect the story from the beginning.

So in the end, which do you think has more replay value?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Noble Tyler Strong on Oct 28, 2014 wrote:
Which of these two games do you think has more replay value and why?

Wizard101 has 7 schools of magic whilst Pirate101 has 5 piratical classes, does the number of different classes play a big role in replay value?

Wizard101 has exclusive pets for each and every school of magic, however, Pirate101 has exclusive companions for each class, although there are more exclusive pets in a single class in Wizard101 then there are exclusive companions in a single class in Pirate101, does that help determine the decision of which game has more replay value?

Wizard101 has a variety of different spell for each and every school of magic, even taking into account the star school spells and shadow spells that you might not fit all into a single character, creating more replay value, Pirate101, however, has a variety of different epic talents, talents and powers, which vary depending on the class, but does Pirate101's multi-categories of variety defeat Wizard101's large single category or variety?

In Wizard101 the dialogue does not change allot, the only dialogue that is different between schools of magic are really the spell quest, whilst in Pirate101 the dialogue has a rather big difference depending on the class you choose, but does dialogue mean allot in terms of replay value?

In Wizard101, when you first create a character, you are asked to take a test, taking this test determines your school and really nothing else, whilst in Pirate101 when you create a character you are asked how you lost your parents, this will affect the Presidio companion you obtain and may play a bigger role later, you are asked which world you were raised in, which gives you a special talent and may play a bigger role later and last but not least you get to choose your class, but just because Pirate101's create-a-character decisions play a bigger role in the story than Wizard101's, does that give it more replay value?

Wizard101 has more classes, more spells, more school exclusive pets while Pirate101 has different battle styles(Wizards all use spells while Pirates use muskets, staffs or melee weapons/shields), exclusive companions, a change of dialogue and decisions that affect the story from the beginning.

So in the end, which do you think has more replay value?
You are comparing apples to oranges. One isn't better than the other in replay, just delightfully different.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
I fer one strongly agree with Chrissy on this topic 100%.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 28, 2014 wrote:
You are comparing apples to oranges. One isn't better than the other in replay, just delightfully different.
Actually, it is quite easy to compare apples and oranges.
Oranges are always sweet, but apples can be sour.
Oranges are always near the same size, but apples can vary.
Oranges are always orange, but the color of apples can be any combination of green, red, and yellow.
So, apples are the better of the two.
Also, the answer to the question the original post asks is Pirate101.

Ensign
Jul 04, 2010
I would argue Wizard101 just because it has so much more content due to being out longer. But, personally I prefer the play style of P101.

Lieutenant
Apr 30, 2011
Pirate101 gives you several options and choices, Wizard101 does too.

But, Pirate101 allows you to customize your companion's stats, what ability you start off with, etc, etc.

Both games are complete masterpieces to me, though.

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
I love both games but I like how in pirate 101 how you can have more gameplay options

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have played both very extensively.

At heart, Wizard101's dueling system is modeled on collectible card games. Pirate101's fights, on the other hand, are modeled on tabletop miniature skirmish games. I suspect if you prefer one of those sorts of games to the other, then you will likely prefer the related KI game. I like CCGs OK, but I much prefer miniature skirmish games, and accordingly I preferred Pirate's combat system over Wizard's dueling system from the moment my first pirate encountered hostile troggies. Because I enjoy Pirate's combat mechanics better, it has a higher replay value for me.

I have also come to believe that Pirate is "scaling up" more smoothly than Wizard. As you progress through Wizard, the developers have tended to give key opponents more and more "cheats", which as they increase in number and severity become really, really annoying. The Pirate developers have not fallen into this habit - there are some cheats (free bombs at the start of a fight, ouch) but the most memorable fights tend to be ones where our crews are faced with weird tactical problems, rather than a straight-up fight (General Tso's chicken is a classic example). To be fair the the Wizard101 team, I think the Pirate combat system allows more flexibility of this sort than a card-based duel does.

-Indigo

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Kai Alcott on Oct 29, 2014 wrote:
Actually, it is quite easy to compare apples and oranges.
Oranges are always sweet, but apples can be sour.
Oranges are always near the same size, but apples can vary.
Oranges are always orange, but the color of apples can be any combination of green, red, and yellow.
So, apples are the better of the two.
Also, the answer to the question the original post asks is Pirate101.
Oranges are not always sweet. The root stock for the oranges we harvest in the US is actually for a very hardy and bitter variety.

Navel oranges come in a variety of sizes. So do non-navels, such as the mandarins. Heck, even mandarin varieties vary in size.

The flesh of oranges is different colors, actually. Some are near yellow, some are blood red. Even the rinds can range from a pale orange to blotched with red.

Both Pirate and Wizard have good replay value. Which is better will depend entirely on what sort of game play you prefer.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
I think Pirate is far superior. although Wizard101 has far more content, Pirate101 has a much more involved and entertaining combat system. while in w101, each class follows the same basic strategic route (buff/shield/trap then attack, plus a heal hear or there) Pirate101 is a new battle every time. in a replay of wiz that i did before i stopped playing it, i realized that every class is essentially the same until you get to very high levels, and that the only difference in gameplay were insignificant. I pir however, Each class is genuinely unique, and you can tell the difference between them all VERY early on. for instance, I started as a swashbuckler, and replayed as privateer, then a musketeer, and i am currently working on a buccaneer. the gameplay is extraordinarily different each time. so. . . . yeah. thats my 2 cents.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Like someone already mentioned, it is difficult to compare each game based solely on the amount of content. Wizard101 has been out significantly longer than Pirate101, therefore it will naturally have more things to do. However, if you simply break it down to replay value (playing the same game over multiple times), Wizard101 does have an advantage. The story and objectives are very linear for both games, so the class/school decisions are the only real distinct difference in experience. With Wizard101 there are two additional "experiences" offered, so the replay value is better with Wizard101.

Training point variables should not be considered in comparison, since they don't require replay. You change those variables without starting over (just costs a few Crowns).