Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Plot Hole with the Kurghas

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 02, 2008
I have a question that a Pirate101 developer can hopefully answer:

Why are the Kurgha troops violent enough to fight us when good food supposedly makes them "crave sleep and belly rubs"? Shouldn't they be lounging around instead of roaming the streets and kidnapping Marleybone troops?

The only way this makes sense is if they have refused to eat the food, and are thus hungry and still violent enough to attack us. But they can't starve forever, so there's a very small window of time when this must be happening -- assuming that they would start eating again after 2-3 days of revolt. It's never insinuated that they're going on a hunger strike, either...

Is there something I missed or is there a rational solution to this plothole that I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
No, they were given good food, complained about them becoming lethargic, and asked for bad food. The Admirals kinda dropped the ball, and basically gave them inedible trash, which sent the Kurgha into a revolt (I'm getting all of this info from what the Kurgha commander says at the end of the Instance). I'm assuming they're just eating regular rations (Which are probably neither good nor bad), when they fought us. Then we give them the Marleymite/Vegemite which tastes horrible, but is edible and nutritious, all up sides for the Kurgha, making them end their revolt. Still doesn't explain why they're still wandering the streets, willing to beat us senseless with the drop of a hat, but, whatever.

F.R. Holystone
lv 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Arlen Dawneyes on Dec 21, 2014 wrote:

Why are the Kurgha troops violent enough to fight us when good food supposedly makes them "crave sleep and belly rubs"? Shouldn't they be lounging around instead of roaming the streets and kidnapping Marleybone troops?

The only way this makes sense is if they have refused to eat the food, and are thus hungry and still violent enough to attack us. But they can't starve forever, so there's a very small window of time when this must be happening -- assuming that they would start eating again after 2-3 days of revolt. It's never insinuated that they're going on a hunger strike, either...

Is there something I missed or is there a rational solution to this plothole that I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance
Let's not think what they may have resorted to, to avoid starvation, However there are cases of people going a month without food. ( you just need water, you can't go beyond three days without water ).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Arlen Dawneyes on Dec 21, 2014 wrote:

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the message boards Arlen.
Once Blind Mew gets back to having message board time, I am sure he will have the perfect answer for you.
Until then, what say you Marauders?
My theory is they went on a hunger strike and now have proper warrior food to keep them lean and mean.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 21, 2014 wrote:
Welcome to the message boards Arlen.
Once Blind Mew gets back to having message board time, I am sure he will have the perfect answer for you.
Until then, what say you Marauders?
My theory is they went on a hunger strike and now have proper warrior food to keep them lean and mean.
I think they are going to continue to fight us out of sheer resentment, until they at least get some form of fast food available to them-- like maybe a Kurgha King.

Until then, they'll keep on trying to hit us with some Whoppers! Huzzah, long live the King!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 22, 2014 wrote:
I think they are going to continue to fight us out of sheer resentment, until they at least get some form of fast food available to them-- like maybe a Kurgha King.

Until then, they'll keep on trying to hit us with some Whoppers! Huzzah, long live the King!
Can't believe this post slipped past me yesterday. Good one.

Petty Officer
Feb 27, 2009
They probably want to, but they also want to show their resentment to their rations.

Meaning: They want to relax, but they must rebel in order if change.

Example: I want to continue playing, but I need to finish the laundry if I'm going to have clean clothes.

They're putting a need before a want.

Quentin Davenport, lvl 62

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Elemutation on Dec 21, 2014 wrote:
No, they were given good food, complained about them becoming lethargic, and asked for bad food. The Admirals kinda dropped the ball, and basically gave them inedible trash, which sent the Kurgha into a revolt (I'm getting all of this info from what the Kurgha commander says at the end of the Instance). I'm assuming they're just eating regular rations (Which are probably neither good nor bad), when they fought us. Then we give them the Marleymite/Vegemite which tastes horrible, but is edible and nutritious, all up sides for the Kurgha, making them end their revolt. Still doesn't explain why they're still wandering the streets, willing to beat us senseless with the drop of a hat, but, whatever.

F.R. Holystone
lv 65
You had to fight them so that they'll reveal a bit about Stewart, whom was later revealed to be held up by the revolting Kurghas in Walkie's Hotel. Any later subsequent fights with them after that is perfectly normal, as with many enemies.

These Marleyboneans should take some time to better understand Kurghas & their culture, especially how they eat their delicacies.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Actually, what seems to have happened is the Kurghas complained about their food; the Marleybonians, anxious to retain their allies, improved it, providing better tasting rations (and probably more of them). The Dogs were understandably shocked when instead of solving the problem, the improved rations tipped the Kurghas over into open revolt.

The Kurghas are not on a hunger strike, they are angry that their specific cultural needs (as Trimond points out) are not met, and indeed are seriously insulted by the proffering of better food. For them, it would be as if they were being treated like baby Tigers still with their moms, instead of being respected as fierce and capable soldiers... so they rebel, to show just how fierce and capable they are indeed!

Fortunately, our pirate being recognized as the child of respected friends allows the Kurghas we fought in Walkie's Hotel to calm down and rationally express their outrage. The Dogs end up being perhaps a bit chastened by their cultural ignorance even while they express their surprise at the unexpected findings (one of my favorite lines was one of the Admirals murmuring 'I didn't think it was possible for Army food to taste worse.')

This was one of the many instances where I was very impressed by the writing, in this case the allusion to the terribly tragic Sepoy rebellion (upon first learning of the story I shed tears for the innocent lives lost) turning to a splendidly serio-comic adventure.

(And by the way Valkoor, I loved your playful puns there )

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jan 29, 2015 wrote:
Actually, what seems to have happened is the Kurghas complained about their food; the Marleybonians, anxious to retain their allies, improved it, providing better tasting rations (and probably more of them). The Dogs were understandably shocked when instead of solving the problem, the improved rations tipped the Kurghas over into open revolt.

The Kurghas are not on a hunger strike, they are angry that their specific cultural needs (as Trimond points out) are not met, and indeed are seriously insulted by the proffering of better food. For them, it would be as if they were being treated like baby Tigers still with their moms, instead of being respected as fierce and capable soldiers... so they rebel, to show just how fierce and capable they are indeed!

Fortunately, our pirate being recognized as the child of respected friends allows the Kurghas we fought in Walkie's Hotel to calm down and rationally express their outrage. The Dogs end up being perhaps a bit chastened by their cultural ignorance even while they express their surprise at the unexpected findings (one of my favorite lines was one of the Admirals murmuring 'I didn't think it was possible for Army food to taste worse.')

This was one of the many instances where I was very impressed by the writing, in this case the allusion to the terribly tragic Sepoy rebellion (upon first learning of the story I shed tears for the innocent lives lost) turning to a splendidly serio-comic adventure.

(And by the way Valkoor, I loved your playful puns there )
I was going to make a post here about the Sepoy rebellion against the East India Company Anne, but you kinda beat me to it.

The entire time I was playing through the Isle of Fetch, all I could think about was if that really was KI alluding to the Sepoy Rebellion.

For others, one of the major causes behind the Sepoy Rebellion in India was the British Army (and East India Company) changing their weapons from the old muzzle loading muskets to new breach loading muskets and rifles. The new muskets and rifles required cartridges that were covered in grease, in order to ease the loading of the guns. However, the grease used on the cartridges was pig fat, which caused huge problems amongst the Sepoys who (like several cultures) could not ingest anything made from a pig. This meant that they could not bite open the cartridge covered in pig fat.

Ensign
Apr 03, 2015
Hello guys today ill like to tell you something way be on your hopes Marleybone is like this the next day your like this then the next you tell your friends about it and your face becomes like this .

See the changes?