Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Remove the NPC ships' "tether"

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jan 11, 2016 wrote:
Part of what the patrol route does is keep them within their tethered area. And why should you be able to run away and heal and not them?
Patrol route is the way they move when there aren't any targets. The tether has nothing to do with that. I'm not running away and healing, I'm moving out of boarding range. Also, I'm the player and they're NPCs. I can do things they can't. I imagine you'd probably lose it if Moo Manchu fled.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Robobot1747 on Jan 11, 2016 wrote:
Patrol route is the way they move when there aren't any targets. The tether has nothing to do with that. I'm not running away and healing, I'm moving out of boarding range. Also, I'm the player and they're NPCs. I can do things they can't. I imagine you'd probably lose it if Moo Manchu fled.
We all understand that you're angry at this function and we've explained ( to the best of our abilities ) why this function has to be. Patrol route has everything to do with the tether as they don't go beyond their route. Again, the AI doesn't know the difference between fleeing or a maneuver.
But, really? Comparing NPC ships with a Boss like Moo Manchu?
I've never incurred this tether that you find so frustrating, if my ship was weakened and was boarded, so be it. I still won and got the nautical credit and learned from my experiences. You don't want to be boarded? Fine, don't back away, use a mojo potion to heal to full then blast those ( REDACTED ) ships out of the aether!
Good luck in the future and don't judge us too harshly, we were trying to help, after all.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Your best bet is to just stay behind them. You can be right on top of a ship and if you stay behind them, even if you are yellow, they will not board you. Just circle and stay to the rear........er........aft. This circling maneuver will NOT stop another ship from the pack from sneaking in and boarding you if you are in the yellow so it is best to snag someone from the edge of the pack to protect you from those sneaky pirates.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Every game I have ever played as the tether in some form or other. And honestly, it's a required function. The tether is what allows you to actually escape from the mob should you need to. Every game has some method to stop the mobs from chasing you endlessly, (unless of course they are meant to).

Yes, you may not ever want or need to actually flee a ship battle, (I myself have not needed to flee a ship battle, and I also simply refuse to flee anything) but there may be, and more than likely are players, who at times find that they must flee from a ship battle. This tether that you despise so much, is what stops the enemy ships from relentlessly chasing down players who are trying to escape the fight.

Really, if you were just starting into a new world, where the ships are an equal match (roughly) to you, and if you agro'd the entire fleet of enemy ships who then chase you from one end of the Skyway to the other. You'd probably be here on the boards creating a post asking for some sort of tethering system.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if they only have a sliver left, let them go ahead and board you. The crew of that ship will also have only a sliver of health which you can EASILY defeat in one round with ranged weaponry.

You, on the other hand, will have full health.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 12, 2016 wrote:
We all understand that you're angry at this function and we've explained ( to the best of our abilities ) why this function has to be. Patrol route has everything to do with the tether as they don't go beyond their route. Again, the AI doesn't know the difference between fleeing or a maneuver.
But, really? Comparing NPC ships with a Boss like Moo Manchu?
I've never incurred this tether that you find so frustrating, if my ship was weakened and was boarded, so be it. I still won and got the nautical credit and learned from my experiences. You don't want to be boarded? Fine, don't back away, use a mojo potion to heal to full then blast those ( REDACTED ) ships out of the aether!
Good luck in the future and don't judge us too harshly, we were trying to help, after all.
If the AI can't recognize such a maneuver, the problem is in the AI and whoever programmed it. Ship in windlane=fleeing. Ship moving away=evasive maneuvers. Done. Simple.

@CdeWinter: Very simple way to escape them: get to a windlane.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Robobot1747 on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:
If the AI can't recognize such a maneuver, the problem is in the AI and whoever programmed it. Ship in windlane=fleeing. Ship moving away=evasive maneuvers. Done. Simple.

What's the difference between a ship moving away and a ship moving to the windlane? None.
Remove tether and the ship mobs will be able to move anywhere, even follow you as you move down the windlane.
Easiest way to avoid tether? Let them board, the fight won't take long OR use that mojo potion and continue fighting.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Well, no, because it is just a game. But whatever you say, Robobot.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Robobot1747 on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:

Or they could work on the storyline, but yeah I would love if they upgraded the tether I've been waiting quite a while for it

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Actually what Robobot suggested as "simple" for the AI isn't at all simple; how is the AI to know the difference between moving away ( maneuver ) and moving away ( fleeing )? The AI can't read your mind to know your intent.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
whats hilarius is when i was first starting out.. no gold cuz i maxed my companions regularily.. no crowns cuz i spent all on gear for me.. and had no clue could buy ships with gold or even get ship equipment from bazaar..(or gear/weapons for myself XD) had no gold farming chests in Achaea marked etc etc.. ANYWAYS I used to just get my ship to lowest health and run into them.. let myself get boarded ON PURPOSE before they could hit me XD I knew i was tougher than them and 3 rounds per fight made ship fighting much easier and faster.. more efficient to knock out 25 until you get 10 rattler tails or a special teaspoon set bleh lol (hate collection quests)
stormy jen silver

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
I dont mind it. Either have help against ships, get bigger guns or a better ship. Or just get boarded. Personally though it would be nice to get scrips even if you get boarded and defeat the ship. I like to board ships in the sky way. I would do it a lot more if you could earn scrips that way also. sorry off topic...tethering doesnt bother me though.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
nitewalker7180 on Jan 18, 2016 wrote:
I dont mind it. Either have help against ships, get bigger guns or a better ship. Or just get boarded. Personally though it would be nice to get scrips even if you get boarded and defeat the ship. I like to board ships in the sky way. I would do it a lot more if you could earn scrips that way also. sorry off topic...tethering doesnt bother me though.
The reason for boarding vs. sinking ships for scrip is this - more players can take part in a sinking action than in boarding. All that needs to be done is to fire one shot among the many taking part, that's it, when the ship is sunk then scrip is rewarded. It doesn't matter that there were 20 on the one ship, as long as they got off just one shot, they get the reward as well.
As for boarding, only four pirates can do this.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
CdeWinter on Jan 13, 2016 wrote:
Every game I have ever played as the tether in some form or other. And honestly, it's a required function. The tether is what allows you to actually escape from the mob should you need to. Every game has some method to stop the mobs from chasing you endlessly, (unless of course they are meant to).

Yes, you may not ever want or need to actually flee a ship battle, (I myself have not needed to flee a ship battle, and I also simply refuse to flee anything) but there may be, and more than likely are players, who at times find that they must flee from a ship battle. This tether that you despise so much, is what stops the enemy ships from relentlessly chasing down players who are trying to escape the fight.

Really, if you were just starting into a new world, where the ships are an equal match (roughly) to you, and if you agro'd the entire fleet of enemy ships who then chase you from one end of the Skyway to the other. You'd probably be here on the boards creating a post asking for some sort of tethering system.
In assassin's creed 4 black flag I don't think there is a tether. The enemy ships can go all the way across the world unprovoked. And when man o wars attack me during storms they chase me across the map until the storm Goes away which I then swim on board and kill everyone on board then swim back and sail my boat over and take the ship.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
And this is the main difference between a game played on Xbox or PlayStation and an MMORPG like P101.

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
anecorbie on Jan 3, 2016 wrote:
If you're avoiding combat to heal, then why shouldn't the enemy ships also heal? These ship battles are one-sided enough with the "wounded ship-wounded enemy" combat. In the beginning of P101, when you were boarded, you faced a crew with full health, just saying P101 has already "watered down" ship combat extensively.
I think they should get rid of the "watered down" ship combat. I like boarding. Enemies should not loose health because of ship damage. If you could earn scrip by defeating the crew I would be boarding everytime You could have two choices of earning scrip. And I am not saying it will be any easier....sinking a ship and boarding a ship should take a little work to get scrip

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
I enjoy boarding ships I find it much more fun than just.....sinking them. I used my Scrimshaw Galleon in MB for a while because I enjoy trying to cross over to enemy ship!! Heck if I could earn scrip by defeating the crew and destroying the ship I would be boarding ships all the time It takes a very long time that way but I love the game and love the combat sorry but I really don't enjoy just....sinking ships but I have to so I can get scrip...I think either way is a little work to earn scrip. That should be a change. I know other pirates who feel the same way

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
nitewalker7180 on Mar 25, 2016 wrote:
I think they should get rid of the "watered down" ship combat. I like boarding. Enemies should not loose health because of ship damage. If you could earn scrip by defeating the crew I would be boarding everytime You could have two choices of earning scrip. And I am not saying it will be any easier....sinking a ship and boarding a ship should take a little work to get scrip
I do agree that how much the enemy loses health is a little drastic to me, they need to increase their health a bit when boarded

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
I sink ships. I like getting boarded. Like I mentioned before, I would board a lot more ships if you could get scrips that way to. I get really bored sinking ships by myself or with others. I enjoy it more boarding the enemies ship to defeat them. And it is just as hard to fight on board. I think it is easier to sink ships personally. I like a challenge. I just wish that they would do away with the pirate health going down with ship damage. so I work around it...I get boarded so the enemy has full health

Enjoy!! Great game Kingsisle!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
nitewalker7180 on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
I sink ships. I like getting boarded. Like I mentioned before, I would board a lot more ships if you could get scrips that way to. I get really bored sinking ships by myself or with others. I enjoy it more boarding the enemies ship to defeat them. And it is just as hard to fight on board. I think it is easier to sink ships personally. I like a challenge. I just wish that they would do away with the pirate health going down with ship damage. so I work around it...I get boarded so the enemy has full health

Enjoy!! Great game Kingsisle!!
I don't agree that scrip should be awarded for boarding ( its supposed to be a community activity ) but, yes, I wish that the enemy had full health when we boarded or they boarded. It's boring when their health is in the red zone and one gunnery just destroys them.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 18, 2016 wrote:
The reason for boarding vs. sinking ships for scrip is this - more players can take part in a sinking action than in boarding. All that needs to be done is to fire one shot among the many taking part, that's it, when the ship is sunk then scrip is rewarded. It doesn't matter that there were 20 on the one ship, as long as they got off just one shot, they get the reward as well.
As for boarding, only four pirates can do this.
Because 20 people are sinking a ship

For pirate101's popularity right now your not going to see even 5 people sinking a ship

Lieutenant
Sep 14, 2015
witchdoctor daruis on Apr 12, 2016 wrote:

For pirate101's popularity right now your not going to see even 5 people sinking a ship
Agreed> Most I've ever seen sinking a ship was 4.

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
Captain Blaze Hunt... on Apr 12, 2016 wrote:
I second that.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
witchdoctor daruis on Apr 12, 2016 wrote:

Not necessarily. The Fansite Festival is going on right now and an NXP Scrip farming, ship sinking event is being hosted by Frostcaller and Secrets of the Spiral. It is scheduled for Noon Eastern Standard time on this Saturday April 16th.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Captain Blaze Hunt... on Apr 12, 2016 wrote:
You've never been in a "wolf pack" hunting boss ships, then, so don't judge from your inexperience. When P101 gets that update, you'll be seeing a lot more hunters.