Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Easter Eggs

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
Sneaky George Quar... on Apr 30, 2013 wrote:
there are easter eggs in the puppet shows too, like in gortez. at the part where gortez army steals the treasure from the island, theres a baby monkey that takes a huge gold statue with him. at captain gunn, fin dorsal is one of the pirates enjoying the yum. talking about yum, thats a reference to rum, a brew popular to pirates. fin dorsal is also named after part of a shark: dorsal fin. bonnie anne is a reference to bonne annie (did i get it right?). shes mentioned in famous pirates. ratbeard and catbeard are an obvious reference to blackbeard.

the monkeys paw also closely resembles the holy grail in indiana jones. in P101, the monkeys paw brings death if you choose the wrong one. in indiana jones, you need to pass 3 trials to reach the grail and there, you have to drink from the right one. drink from the wrong one and you age rapidly, similar to dying by choosing the wrong paw, however, choosing the right grail brings eternal life (or has great healing abilities. i dont remember). the monkeys paw is even a real life story including the 3 wishes. the monkeys paw seems to give the worst outcome of any wishes
Actually when it comes to rum.
Rum was first mentioned, along with pirates, in the book Treasure Island.
That is also where "Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum", came from.

I think drinks like mead and various wines, were more popular among the
the pirates we are familiar with.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Peabotz on Apr 30, 2013 wrote:
Quest in Cool Ranch.
It is in Big Sky, on Boot Hill.

The quest is called Tales From The Crypt.

Tales From The Crypt used to be an HBO series.
It dealt with stories along the lines of horror and the macabre.
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a Tales From The Crypt comic book series as well.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
CdeWinter on May 3, 2013 wrote:
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a Tales From The Crypt comic book series as well.
You are correct.
It was actually a comic series back in the 1940's and 1950's.

Publisher was Entertaining Comics.

Who also published Mad magazine.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
In Flotsam, I think, we had to fight a couple of the Rat pack flunkies. They were Buster Chaplin and Charlie Keaton, a tribute to a couple of silent movie stars of the 1920's, Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin. Those guys are still being imitated in films, tv shows, and cartoons, and now in Pirate101.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
Calamity Finch on May 13, 2013 wrote:
In Flotsam, I think, we had to fight a couple of the Rat pack flunkies. They were Buster Chaplin and Charlie Keaton, a tribute to a couple of silent movie stars of the 1920's, Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin. Those guys are still being imitated in films, tv shows, and cartoons, and now in Pirate101.
Let's not forget Harold Lloyd.

He was not only a big star during the silent era.
He also did his own stunts.
One the most famous, was hanging from the hands of a clock.

Ensign
Apr 28, 2011
Here are a few I noticed. (some of these are repeated from prev. comments)
  • Strong John Silver-Gullet (Long John Silver-Treasure Island)
  • Captain Gunn (Also Treasure Island)
  • "Yo ho ho and a bottle of yum" (yum-rum-Treasure Island)
  • Gortez (Cortez-Aztec Conqueror)
There are also a few worlds in Pirate101 that are Easter eggs.
  • Monquista (Monquistadors-Conquistadors)
  • Valencia (Some town in Florida)
  • Polaris (Some company as far as I know sells golf carts)
  • Cool Ranch (Doritos)

Bloody Nigel Templeton, Level 41

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Now that the updates here, there are many more easter eggs in the spiral. First, Captain Kid, based on the real life scottish privateer/pirate Captain William Kidd whose gold is said to be buried on Oak Island in Nova Scotia Canada. Too bad every hole that's been dug to find Kidd's treasure has mysteriously flooded with sea water before anything can be found.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Ned Land;
Ned Land is a French Canadian Whaler from Quebec in Jules Vern's 20,000 leagues under the sea. I'm not exactly sure why KI chose to give Ned Land a slight Scottish accent in the game though since he is French Canadian.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
There's a pig in Mooshu that you talk to named Zhu Ro, which in Chinese means pork. XD I thought that it was kind of cruel at first, but I will admit that I was grabbing my sides.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
In isle of fetch there is a marleybonean named Captain Harkness which is a reference to Doctor Who's Captain Jack Harkness.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
Naturally, every book is based off of a specific source.

Book 1: Treasure Island

Book 2: Heart of Darkness

Book 3: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Book 4: Unknown

Book 5: Wild West

Book 6: Zorro

Book 7: The Duke of Death

Book 8: That old song called Desperately Seeking Sally, or A New Hope.

Book 9: Back to the Wild West.

Book 10: Treasure Island with a ghostly twist, or maybe the Undead Gunslinger.

Book 11: Japanese and Chinese culture, including Kabuki dancing and lots of other stuff.

Book 12: Even more Japanese and Chinese culture.

Book 13: Another A New Hope, or maybe something else.

Book 14: I don't know, maybe Greek Mythology.

Petty Officer
Dec 30, 2012
Mark Laveer on May 28, 2013 wrote:

Book 11: Japanese and Chinese culture, including Kabuki dancing and lots of other stuff.

I believe that in another thread, I don't remember which one, Blind Mew said that Book 4 was based off of the trip to the Death Star in A New Hope, as well. He also mentioned another topic as well. I'll check and post again shortly.

Petty Officer
Dec 30, 2012
Mark Laveer on May 28, 2013 wrote:

Yeah, I looked. I found out that Book 4 is based off of a sort of heist as well. If I remember to, I'll post more here.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
In Port Regal, when you fight Redcoats in the Governor's Mansion, or in Fort Bassett, there is a Redcoat (in Fort Bassett, usually an officer) named 'Mr. Blakeney.' This always makes me grin, because Percy Blakeney is a nobleman whose indolent, foppish behavior hides his secret identity as --*fanfare music*-- "The Scarlet Pimpernel"!
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on May 30, 2013 wrote:
In Port Regal, when you fight Redcoats in the Governor's Mansion, or in Fort Bassett, there is a Redcoat (in Fort Bassett, usually an officer) named 'Mr. Blakeney.' This always makes me grin, because Percy Blakeney is a nobleman whose indolent, foppish behavior hides his secret identity as --*fanfare music*-- "The Scarlet Pimpernel"!
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Wow, I can't beleive I missed that one

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
MrToro123A on May 21, 2013 wrote:
Here are a few I noticed. (some of these are repeated from prev. comments)
  • Strong John Silver-Gullet (Long John Silver-Treasure Island)
  • Captain Gunn (Also Treasure Island)
  • "Yo ho ho and a bottle of yum" (yum-rum-Treasure Island)
  • Gortez (Cortez-Aztec Conqueror)
There are also a few worlds in Pirate101 that are Easter eggs.
  • Monquista (Monquistadors-Conquistadors)
  • Valencia (Some town in Florida)
  • Polaris (Some company as far as I know sells golf carts)
  • Cool Ranch (Doritos)

Bloody Nigel Templeton, Level 41
Polaris is also another name for the North Star.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
There is a Les Miserables reference in Marleybone. The judge calls Catbeard "... docket two four six oh one..." which was Jean Valjean's own number. Made me smile when I saw that.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I wonder if any of the Monquistans have ever read the Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope?

Ensign
Apr 27, 2009
my friend noticed this when we were playing together the frogfather godfather reference is pretty easy to find but his bodyguards or what ever they are, are named sam and max which are carecters in a cartoon series

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
Did you guys ever see the quest in Valencia called "The Halls of Learning"? I got a big kick out of that one.

Deacon does the famous "Villain Exit Stage Left" a lot.

Kobe Yojimbo translates to "Beef Bodyguard"

Subodai is a reference to the warlord of the Temujin, a Mongol clan. Yes, his clone is too.

Egg Shen translates to "Egg God"

Wing Chun is an exotic fighting style that looks similar to his moves.

Kan Po translates to "Man of Wisdom"

Ensign
Oct 29, 2011
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on May 24, 2013 wrote:
Ned Land;
Ned Land is a French Canadian Whaler from Quebec in Jules Vern's 20,000 leagues under the sea. I'm not exactly sure why KI chose to give Ned Land a slight Scottish accent in the game though since he is French Canadian.
Ooo, good one, I had forgotten all about Ned Land -- and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was one of my favorite books! I haven't read it in a long time; I really need to go back to it. Certainly after doing Marleybone I'm going to be re-visiting _Kidnapped_ again, another great book I haven't read for a while.
(By the way, since I do love literary allusions, if it wouldn't be prying, does the 'C' of your name stand for perhaps 'Comtesse'?)

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
nullActually, I was thinking more of Clarice, but Comtesse is close enough. Even though she is a villain who meets a rather terrible end, the Comtesse de Winter is still one of my favorite literary characters.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Old Boz Orphanage in Isle of Dogs.
Old Boz was a nickname used for Charles Dickens.
I think Charles Dickens signed the dedication he wrote in Oliver Twist as Old Boz.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
While looking for naptha barrels during Bonnie Anne's promotion quest you find a barrel that's full of " ham, a lot" which is a refence both to Monty Python's Spamalot stage show, and their original Spam sketch.