Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Easter Eggs

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CdeWinter on May 28, 2014 wrote:
In the updated area, while fighting aboard the Marie Celest, you will come across a certain ghost named the Spectral Stephen Hawkins. For anybody who may not know (I'm not sure how many that actualy is) Stephen Hawkins is a very famous physicist who had done a lot of work on string theory, study of wormholes (stormgates?) and has published such books as A Short History of the Universe. (Admittedly, I may have gotten the title of the slightly wrong, I can't seem to find my copy)
Oh yes, I got that one right away. Just brilliant.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Has anyone returned to Mooshu and gone into the inoshishi's bandit cave? KI has expanded this dungeon and also a nice tribute to the band Earth, Wind and Fire ( some fine music ).

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
CdeWinter on May 28, 2014 wrote:
In the updated area, while fighting aboard the Marie Celest, you will come across a certain ghost named the Spectral Stephen Hawkins. For anybody who may not know (I'm not sure how many that actualy is) Stephen Hawkins is a very famous physicist who had done a lot of work on string theory, study of wormholes (stormgates?) and has published such books as A Short History of the Universe. (Admittedly, I may have gotten the title of the slightly wrong, I can't seem to find my copy)
Actually,it's called A Brief History of Time,there's also A Briefer History of Time,The Universe in a Nutshell,The Theory of Everything.The last two are far more oriented towards Standard Model physics then String Theory .

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
In the new updated area, I found a new Star Wars reference!
On the Fire Ship, the shrimp captain is named Grand Admiral Prawn.

Sounds to me like KI has been reading the Thrawn novels.

Ensign
Sep 13, 2008
was this mentioned? maybe, maybe not.

but the whole boss fight involving Chumba Wumba in the Skull Island quest chain was a giant reference to the song "Tubthumping' by ChumbaWamba lol.

also, the Witchdoctor's quest to get the 'Bone Chant' skill, you have to fight a monkey boss named Jojo Mojo.... hehe. Power Puff Girls reference.

and last but not least, the next one I noticed was Nim the rat :D. Referencing Mrs. Brisby and the rats of Nimh, or The Secret of Nimh books/movies.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Skynship on Jun 2, 2014 wrote:
was this mentioned? maybe, maybe not.

but the whole boss fight involving Chumba Wumba in the Skull Island quest chain was a giant reference to the song "Tubthumping' by ChumbaWamba lol.

also, the Witchdoctor's quest to get the 'Bone Chant' skill, you have to fight a monkey boss named Jojo Mojo.... hehe. Power Puff Girls reference.

and last but not least, the next one I noticed was Nim the rat :D. Referencing Mrs. Brisby and the rats of Nimh, or The Secret of Nimh books/movies.
Welcome to the message boards Kammy. You have a good eye for finding all those nods, winks and oh so subtle surprises Blind Mew just loves to hide for us. Keep up the good work.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
There's a side quest chain in Cool Ranch that ends in a quest called "Drake-ing Bad". Enough said.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Another I just remembered. So, I think the Disney movie Mulan is sort of referenced in Mooshu.

In Mulan, the dragon's name is Mushu. The world is called Mooshu. I know the name references cows, but I still think that is too similar to be a coincidence.

Also, Moolang tea. If you take off the 'g' you get Moolan. Mulan. There's a rather hilarious incident in the movie with tea, so I made that connection as well.

If these are intentional references to the movie Mulan, wow. If they're just weird coincidences, wow. Guess I'm overthinking it.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
Another I just remembered. So, I think the Disney movie Mulan is sort of referenced in Mooshu.

In Mulan, the dragon's name is Mushu. The world is called Mooshu. I know the name references cows, but I still think that is too similar to be a coincidence.

Also, Moolang tea. If you take off the 'g' you get Moolan. Mulan. There's a rather hilarious incident in the movie with tea, so I made that connection as well.

If these are intentional references to the movie Mulan, wow. If they're just weird coincidences, wow. Guess I'm overthinking it.
I know this may be a bit of a long stretch,but,Moolong tea may actually be based off of Oolong tea,of which I have a box full on my cabinet.

Emma,Highlander Fox of Avalon,whatever you wanna call her,came up with the concept of Moolong tea,long before the advanced pet system,so I wonder if Moolong tea is a nod to her...
Well,you know what they say,Jack doesn't tell...

Commodore
May 31, 2009
The Hoodoo Master on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
I know this may be a bit of a long stretch,but,Moolong tea may actually be based off of Oolong tea,of which I have a box full on my cabinet.

Emma,Highlander Fox of Avalon,whatever you wanna call her,came up with the concept of Moolong tea,long before the advanced pet system,so I wonder if Moolong tea is a nod to her...
Well,you know what they say,Jack doesn't tell...
I remember Highlander Fox's Moolong Tea thing, I saw it a looong time ago. As for the Oolong tea, I didn't know about that! Guess I need to go research tea or something.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2013
Ensign
Oct 28, 2013
MistyDragon13 on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:

Just weird coincedenses. Sorry.

Mooshu = Food (I think?)

Moolong tea = Oolong tea

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Buccaneer Supreme on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
Just weird coincedenses. Sorry.

Mooshu = Food (I think?)

Moolong tea = Oolong tea
Mushu pork

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Not sure if this is an Easter Egg or not, but:

Up in that temple at the top of Subata Temple, you've got Shunzang the Wise, right? Well, around him there are five other monks. They are Masters: Hu, Wa, Wen, Wai, and Hao. (Who, what, when, why and how)

Is there a Master Wer (where) in there somewhere? Oh, that was a really bad rhyming sentence...and it wasn't intentional.

Ensign
Dec 29, 2012
that's a good one one eyed jake
pirate101 is awesome isintit.

Ensign
Dec 29, 2012
Ensign
Jul 10, 2009
  • I'm pretty sure that Donkey Hotay is a play off of the novel Dontay Hotay. (sorry about spelling)
  • One only witchdoctors will get: Kan Po has a line in Beachhead, "Welcome my Captain ... to the Machine!" sounds kind of like the Pink Floyd song, "The Machine"
  • Old Bird Hekins (chicken miner) has a line, "I'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you blasted pirates." which is sort of like the trademark line from the Scooby Doo cartoons.
  • Gilbert has a line in the quest With Catlike Tread, "to sit in solemn silence on a dull dark dock in a pestilential prison with a lifelong lock." I'm not sure what this is a reference to, but its a common tongue twister in theatre.
  • I believe I posted this somewhere else, but there is a quest in the Gold Mine called Barrels of Monquistans, which may be a reference to the barrels of monkeys toy.
  • Floatsam is a name for debris of ships that are floating in water.
  • Arroyo Grande is a play off the Grand Canyon (an arroyo is a dried riverbed)
  • The Free Ranger in Cool Ranch is a play off of the Lone Ranger (character from old radio shows and 2013 Johnny Depp movie)
  • There is a Musketeer Ability called True Grit, and True Grit is an old western movie and a novel, by Charles Portis
  • The whole Jack storyline reminds me of Dr. Who. After all, the Prawns have been stranded by an ancient war, and the Master is their ... master? (I confess I don't really know that much about Dr. Who)
  • Manny's first quest, The Pirate That Time Forgot is a reference to the movie The Land That Time Forgot (which was about an island where there were dinosaurs)
  • There is a quest called Message in a Bottle, which is probably a reference to the Police song.
  • The quest in Beachhead is called the Guns of Marleybone, which is a reference to the "Guns of Brixton" song by the Clash.

Wow ... there certainly are a lot of references.

Ivette Xavier, Oracle

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Haley MoonHeart on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
  • I'm pretty sure that Donkey Hotay is a play off of the novel Dontay Hotay. (sorry about spelling)
  • One only witchdoctors will get: Kan Po has a line in Beachhead, "Welcome my Captain ... to the Machine!" sounds kind of like the Pink Floyd song, "The Machine"
  • Old Bird Hekins (chicken miner) has a line, "I'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you blasted pirates." which is sort of like the trademark line from the Scooby Doo cartoons.
  • Gilbert has a line in the quest With Catlike Tread, "to sit in solemn silence on a dull dark dock in a pestilential prison with a lifelong lock." I'm not sure what this is a reference to, but its a common tongue twister in theatre.
  • I believe I posted this somewhere else, but there is a quest in the Gold Mine called Barrels of Monquistans, which may be a reference to the barrels of monkeys toy.
  • The Free Ranger in Cool Ranch is a play off of the Lone Ranger (character from old radio shows and 2013 Johnny Depp movie)
  • There is a Musketeer Ability called True Grit, and True Grit is an old western movie and a novel, by Charles Portis
  • The whole Jack storyline reminds me of Dr. Who. After all, the Prawns have been stranded by an ancient war, and the Master is their ... master? (I confess I don't really know that much about Dr. Who)
  • Manny's first quest, The Pirate That Time Forgot is a reference to the movie The Land That Time Forgot (which was about an island where there were dinosaurs)
  • There is a quest called Message in a Bottle, which is probably a reference to the Police song.
  • The quest in Beachhead is called the Guns of Marleybone, which is a reference to the "Guns of Brixton" song by the Clash.

Ivette Xavier, Oracle
Donkey Hotay is a reference to Don Quixote. I think it was a book about a crazy guy who thought he was a knight.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009

Ivette Xavier, Oracle
Old Bird Henkins is also a reference to the minor Scooby Doo character, Old Man Jenkins.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

Ivette Xavier, Oracle
I thought The Guns of Marleybone was a reference to the movie The Guns of Naverone

Ensign
Mar 12, 2013
Lieutenant
May 19, 2013
Circus Maximus is a real arena some where in Rome and Tibirdious is a reference to the emporer Tiberius

Lieutenant
May 19, 2013
Mark Laveer on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
Black Bart, the boss in the Abandoned Church...

I looked up a walkthrough for his battle (I was having a hard time) and was sidetracked to a wikipedia page on a real-life pirate also taking the name of "Black Bart"
You reminded me of an outlaw from the western times named black Bart he was known as the gentle bandit look it up it's pretty cool

Ensign
Nov 07, 2012
I don't know if this happens every time, but in cool valley ranch dungeon there's an enemy named Flint Eastwood. He's also a musketeer, so there.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
jesusfollower363 on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
Circus Maximus is a real arena some where in Rome and Tibirdious is a reference to the emporer Tiberius
Yes, there is a real Circus Maximus, however it was not an arena, in ancient Rome, a circus was a place to hold chariot races, circus referring to the circular, or mostly oval track. The Arenas were known as colloseums, and every large city had it's own colloseum, the one in Rome was simply the largest.