Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Season change, and setting

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 10, 2009
I thought about this topic for years and I keep on thinking about this. Would the game better if it had season change and sky changing. Like for example during winter there's still no snow, but it becomes darker at like 5:30 depending time zone and due to the days being shorter. And more light time in the summer vice versa.

What did you guys think? Post down below and give us your thoughts.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
I live in a place where it doesn't snow at all -- I think it would be fun to have it snow during Winter, and to have more water in the lake in Spring. In places like Polaris or Cool Ranch it might not change very much -- always snowing in Polaris, always hot in 'Cool' Ranch. It would be neat to watch the sky change, too! That would be a nice break from all the heat in Cool Ranch. Every time I go there I feel like everything melts together because the colors are all the same, orange, red, and yellow. I support this, I hope it happens!

~Elizabeth, level 25 ~

Ensign
Oct 01, 2010
This sounds like an interesting idea. I remember when Nintendo and Game Freak came out with Pokémon Black & White they added seasons into it, along with keeping the day and night themes they introduced in Diamond & Pearl. I think this would really give the player a good real time feel to it. Though KingsIsle would have to do a lot of lighting and programing work for all of that (I know because I recently took 2 weeks of iD Tech Camp on 3D game designing). But still, it all seems like a really good idea that KI could consider doing.

See ye around the Spiral and Skyway:
Humble Jack Jackson, lvl 50 Buccaneer
Wordy Paul Jackson, lvl 9 Witchdoctor
Quick Aedan Jackson, lvl 9 Swashbuckler
Loyal Oran Jackson, lvl 9 Privateer
Connor Jackson, lvl 9 Musketeer

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2011
in a PC game not like KI (Free Realms) they have a day and night setting that goes on in the game. certain areas in the game get darker faster than others but the only exception from what i measured is Sony made the game go though a day in one hour (30 day, 30 night). I bet there a couple of games that have a day and night setting but weather is harder to program. Besides in the spiral it's hard to tell where the spiral "sun" is so lighting is tricky to figure out.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
Buccaneer Jackson on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
This sounds like an interesting idea. I remember when Nintendo and Game Freak came out with Pokémon Black & White they added seasons into it, along with keeping the day and night themes they introduced in Diamond & Pearl. I think this would really give the player a good real time feel to it. Though KingsIsle would have to do a lot of lighting and programing work for all of that (I know because I recently took 2 weeks of iD Tech Camp on 3D game designing). But still, it all seems like a really good idea that KI could consider doing.

cool game designing ki here you come!

Ensign
Oct 01, 2010
Griffen Deverux on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
cool game designing ki here you come!
Thanks Griffen. First week we did 3D designing for RPGs using the toolbox for this game called NeverWinter Nights 2, which uses the Dungeons & Dragons rule set. The second week was 3D designing for 2 different FPS games: Portal 2 and Team Fortress 2. It was a really fun thing to do, and I'm actually hoping to go into the video game business as a job. So hey, gotta start somewhere, right?

Petty Officer
Jun 05, 2011
Dungeons & Dragons is just like Pirate101!
Besides it is not Dungeons & Dragons.
Its Dumb & Doofsy

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Neat ideas. But would I suspect take a fair amount of time and energy to render.

-Indigo