Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Roleplay - Un Ballo in maschera

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Yep, I know there are a lot of role plays out right now, and I was going to wait to do any of my own for a while -- but this is in response to a request from Elizabeth, so how can I refuse? So Un Ballo in maschera -- The Masked Ball -- the title stolen from the composer Verdi, gives you an idea of the setting: Valencia. And not the Valencia you are familiar with either. The main action will take place on the island of Padova, small but very prosperous, home to scholars, musicians, artists, and great and wealthy rival families: some who support the Resistance, some who dare not, and some who support... the Armada.

The plot... ah, that will unfold soon enough. The players can choose to be in either of 2 groups. Group A (the one I know Elizabeth and Anne will be in) have an under-cover mission at a Ball. Group A may learn the latest dance steps, perhaps wear beautiful clothes, and get to be targets, um, er, I mean dance and have amusing diversions amongst the wealthy and powerful during the grand Ball.

Group B will active at the same time, essentially enacting a rescue mission, rather Scarlet Pimpernel-esq. Sewers will probably be involved.

Group A participants will be very much restricted in the kind of weaponry they can bring along - slim dress swords for gentlemen and rapiers hidden in skirts of ladies gowns will be about as much as you will be able to manage. Group B can pretty much bring anything they can carry.

Your pirates are going to be smuggled in to the scene, so you will not be able to bring any of your companions. And please, one character per person, otherwise it will be too much for me to keep straight. You can add to the plot or let it unfold as we go along. (Except, we are not bringing Kane or the Elites into this. That would end up not so much a party but rather a major disaster. I take the Armada as foes very seriously, and don't lightly mess with them even in my fictions)

You can decide to join later if you like, except for being part of Group A, since that has to be established right off. Group B can meet other operatives in Valencia, for example (how you got there? that can be 'portion of manuscript lost'). Or you could be at the masked Ball on your own for other purposes, perhaps like Omar does sometimes, playing with the musicians (by the way, Omar, do you play the transverse flute -- the instrument we think of as 'flute' today, or the box flute, aka recorder?).

So, what do you think? Want to try to give this a go?

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
Yep, I know there are a lot of role plays out right now, and I was going to wait to do any of my own for a while -- but this is in response to a request from Elizabeth, so how can I refuse? So Un Ballo in maschera -- The Masked Ball -- the title stolen from the composer Verdi, gives you an idea of the setting: Valencia. And not the Valencia you are familiar with either. The main action will take place on the island of Padova, small but very prosperous, home to scholars, musicians, artists, and great and wealthy rival families: some who support the Resistance, some who dare not, and some who support... the Armada.

The plot... ah, that will unfold soon enough. The players can choose to be in either of 2 groups. Group A (the one I know Elizabeth and Anne will be in) have an under-cover mission at a Ball. Group A may learn the latest dance steps, perhaps wear beautiful clothes, and get to be targets, um, er, I mean dance and have amusing diversions amongst the wealthy and powerful during the grand Ball.

Group B will active at the same time, essentially enacting a rescue mission, rather Scarlet Pimpernel-esq. Sewers will probably be involved.

Group A participants will be very much restricted in the kind of weaponry they can bring along - slim dress swords for gentlemen and rapiers hidden in skirts of ladies gowns will be about as much as you will be able to manage. Group B can pretty much bring anything they can carry.

Your pirates are going to be smuggled in to the scene, so you will not be able to bring any of your companions. And please, one character per person, otherwise it will be too much for me to keep straight. You can add to the plot or let it unfold as we go along. (Except, we are not bringing Kane or the Elites into this. That would end up not so much a party but rather a major disaster. I take the Armada as foes very seriously, and don't lightly mess with them even in my fictions)

You can decide to join later if you like, except for being part of Group A, since that has to be established right off. Group B can meet other operatives in Valencia, for example (how you got there? that can be 'portion of manuscript lost'). Or you could be at the masked Ball on your own for other purposes, perhaps like Omar does sometimes, playing with the musicians (by the way, Omar, do you play the transverse flute -- the instrument we think of as 'flute' today, or the box flute, aka recorder?).

Anne, this sounds like it will be an amazing well planned out roleplay. I hope that I shouldn't take your SCARLET pimpernel line to be a hint, because I know Scarlet would love to be in group A.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
Anne, this sounds like it will be an amazing well planned out roleplay. I hope that I shouldn't take your SCARLET pimpernel line to be a hint, because I know Scarlet would love to be in group A.
(snicker) It should only be taken as a hint if your real name is Percy Blakeney. Group A it is... hmm, do you want 'lady' or high class 'lady's maid'? Lady's maid will give you some more mobility in things you can do, though lady will be interesting too, I hope. You'll see what I mean later...

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:

DEFINITELY gonna have some fun here! I'll be a Group A person, if you'd like. I think I'm going to use Emma for this one, yup, definitely her. She's technically the only one of my characters that really knows Anne, and such, but you know. So, do I get to join this one? -puppy eyes-

Ciao!

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Let's do this!
Char: Jacob Freeman
Class:
Race: Human
Kane: Kane coming in General of Marleybone.
Jacob Freeman: Well isn't it my father? (Jacob Freeman still believes he's his father)
Kane: Well son, I have a important duty for you to do. There's gonna be someone at Un Ballo in Maschera.
Jacob Freeman: Where does this island lie? Do I have to bring like some guards with me?
Kane: No, no. We don't want to frighten the people; now do we?
Jacob Freeman: No we won't.
Kane: Okay then. Your mission as Sniper Rose is to go in and assassin someone named Chrissy. That pirates is totally getting on my nerves. She's leading the RESISTANCE!
Jacob Freeman: Oh my. Well I like the resistance but I'll do it if they're in Valencia. Your world is a no Pirate zone.
Kane: You're right. Now in a few nights; I want you to assassin Chrissy if she goes. If she doesn't; she is a wise girl indeed.
Jacob Freeman: Yes she is wise.
Kane: Now is she? Well she will be going to this ball of mine anyways. I will let you assassin her because the Party says This is a no Armada zone. Well I got to allow them to get a break from me. Set up your galleon as you're leaving tomorrow. Bring the Marleybonians on the trip with another ship. Some will be on yours of course to be able to handel and steer it. The other ship will bring them back. I'll message them when you're to return. Sounds like a good plan?
Jacob Freeman: I LOVE IT!

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Sniper Rose on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
Let's do this!
Char: Jacob Freeman
Class:
Race: Human
Kane: Kane coming in General of Marleybone.
Jacob Freeman: Well isn't it my father? (Jacob Freeman still believes he's his father)
Kane: Well son, I have a important duty for you to do. There's gonna be someone at Un Ballo in Maschera.
Jacob Freeman: Where does this island lie? Do I have to bring like some guards with me?
Kane: No, no. We don't want to frighten the people; now do we?
Jacob Freeman: No we won't.
Kane: Okay then. Your mission as Sniper Rose is to go in and assassin someone named Chrissy. That pirates is totally getting on my nerves. She's leading the RESISTANCE!
Jacob Freeman: Oh my. Well I like the resistance but I'll do it if they're in Valencia. Your world is a no Pirate zone.
Kane: You're right. Now in a few nights; I want you to assassin Chrissy if she goes. If she doesn't; she is a wise girl indeed.
Jacob Freeman: Yes she is wise.
Kane: Now is she? Well she will be going to this ball of mine anyways. I will let you assassin her because the Party says This is a no Armada zone. Well I got to allow them to get a break from me. Set up your galleon as you're leaving tomorrow. Bring the Marleybonians on the trip with another ship. Some will be on yours of course to be able to handel and steer it. The other ship will bring them back. I'll message them when you're to return. Sounds like a good plan?
Jacob Freeman: I LOVE IT!
Say WHAT? Assassinating CHRISSY?! Oh heck naaaaaw! If ya wanna get to Chrissy, get through me first. -lifts bazooka, a-k-4, pistols, blunderbuss, shotgun, electricity bazooka, slingshot, cannon, tank, and various other countless weapons-

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Bernard: Quentin, Kane is having a ball, and the supporters of the resistance and the Armada are invited. What shall we do?

Quentin: You and the others stay here, I'll handle this myself.

Bernard: What do you mean?

Quentin: I plan to steal the money of all the Armada supporters. Once they go FLAT broke, Atherton Industries will be more successful than any other business in the Spiral. Then, the Armada will have ZERO supporters, that means this little game of monopoly is about to enter OUR endgame.

Bernard: That means our family will own the other corporations, enterprises, industries, and all the other businesses in the Spiral that were supporting the Armada, that is an ingenious plan Quentin. But how are you going to steal their fortunes?

Quentin: -pulls out strange device- Say hello to the Vault Code Cracker, or V.C.C. for short. With this device, the Armada soldiers guarding their supporters' vaults will steal all the gold and bring it to the Dreadnaught, but it will only work if we have the vault codes. But with my innocent charm and good looks, they will have no choice but to trust me.

Bernard: I'll tell Valona you're heading out for the night.

With that, Quentin set sailed to Kane's ball, with an eager look to bring down the Armada financially.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Highlander Fox of ... on Sep 14, 2013 wrote:
Say WHAT? Assassinating CHRISSY?! Oh heck naaaaaw! If ya wanna get to Chrissy, get through me first. -lifts bazooka, a-k-4, pistols, blunderbuss, shotgun, electricity bazooka, slingshot, cannon, tank, and various other countless weapons-
Me: AH! KANE; HELP! Highlander Fox heard what I SAID!
*runs
Kane: I'm coming.
*goes to friends list. clicks Jacob Freeman. click teleport and then yes.
Kane: I'M HERE! Time to kill Highlander Fox
Jacob Freeman: *whips out Rifle Any last words?
Highlander Fox: I SURRENDER!
Jacob Freeman: Good but you can't be trusted since you will get in the way. Say goodbye Highlander Fox. *aims Rifle at her
Highlander Fox: Please don't kill me. I'll follow you and Kane.
Kane: Time to take her memory away just to make sure. *takes memory away
Highlander Fox: Who am I? Where am I?
Kane: You are my daughter.
Highlander Fox: Dad. I'm happy you're with me.
Kane: Well that's good. We go to Maschera in a few days. Back to my palace.
Jacob Freeman: Okay.
Kane: HOIST THE SAILS! SWAB THE POOPDECK!
*back at the Palace
Kane: What do you think?
Highlander Fox: How did you afford this?
Kane: I'm the King of Valencia of course. *lying because there's no King
Highlander Fox: So Kane. What am I to do?
Kane: Anything really. Just don't leave the ISLAND!
Highlander Fox: I won't. *walks away He thought that I lost my memory. HAH! Time to steal his ship and warn Chrissy of the Assassination.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
Omar was drinking a glass of sparkling liquid while waiting for the party to commence. He wasn't totally here for the mission, but he decided to play along. He wore the elegant clothing of a minstrel, a shawm and an arabian flute hanging from his belt. his left hand was gloved and his right held a simple, "ordinary", wooden cane with an ash orb as a handle. he was hired as a musician earlier that day but wouldn't be needed until midnight. He was called in as a precaution. If the scene goes ill, he was to recite some of the ancient tunes and melodies to cause a distraction.
While waiting, he encountered Emma and started up a conversation.
"Good evening Madame. What brings such a fine lady such as thee to this magnificent party?" spoke he bowing deeply and kissing her hand.
"Perhaps,"he whispered in her ear "thou art part of a certain group a gathering here from afar? If so, we might find some use in each other."

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Sniper Rose on Sep 14, 2013 wrote:
*runs
Jacob Freeman: Good but you can't be trusted since you will get in the way. Say goodbye Highlander Fox. *aims Rifle at her
*back at the Palace
Highlander Fox: I won't. *walks away He thought that I lost my memory. HAH! Time to steal his ship and warn Chrissy of the Assassination.
Quentin was sneaking around during the ball when he heard everything.

Quentin: Hello Kane.

Kane dropped his glass of oil, and turned around slowly.

Kane: Qu-Qu-Qu-Quentin -weak laughter- um, what are you doing here?

Quentin then proceeded to punch Kane hard enough to knock him out.

Jacob: FATHER!

Quentin blocked his path, and set the memory device in reverse to give him back his memories.

Jacob: Huh? Where am I, why is Kane lying flat on his face, and why am I wearing an Armada uniform?

Quentin: Well...

-One long explanation later-

Quentin: ...and that's what happened.

Jacob: That clockwork creep! Trying to make me believe he was my father, HA!

Quentin: Lets go, I punched him so hard he will never recall we were ever here.

Quentin and Jacob sneaked out before Kane rebooted and headed straight for the ballroom.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Huh? WHAT???

Gentlemen, Jacob & Quentin, I don't mean to squash your creativity, but this is not at all related to what I wrote. My intention was that if you chose to be a part of this roleplay, you would be entering into an existing story, one that you could change as you went along, although hopefully not disastrously, as there will be NPC lives that hang in the balance. In "Un Ballo in Maschera" (Jacob, 'mashera' just means 'mask', it is not a place name. I was just playfully alluding to an opera by Verdi; sorry for the confusion) all the players would start on the same playing field: no companions, no super weapons, no powerful industry behind them, no issues of royalty or commoner -- just a bunch of skilled, dedicated people who are willing to work together rather altruistically for a common goal. Although I have deliberately not yet unfolded the plot, the story is intended to be about intrigue rather than blasting things out of the sky. And I have to say, though it involves Valencian politics, Kane would not be interested. He would assume his own operatives would be competent enough to take care of things. He has bigger fish to fry. (nor is it Kane's masked ball)

You gentlemen may of course decide to continue your story, in which case I will simply bow out and try again some other time. I would be careful, however, in how you use other people's characters. When I do so, I pay very careful attention to their character and how they have behaved and while I may provide dialog, I do not make any major decisions for someone else's character.

(And Omar, that was good, only in my story we haven't actually gotten to Valencia yet, much less to the ball. Right now I'm just finding out who wants to play in order to set the stage.)

So, I'll wait and see what people want to do.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Oh, I forgot to add: gentlemen, Jacob and Quentin, you of course would be welcome to join in the originally intended storyline if you wished. It's just perhaps a bit more structured than you expected, but I think you would enjoy that to.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
well, this has gotten out of hand pretty fast.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
*runs
*back at the Palace
Uh, no. Let me clear up, if I really was at the foot of Kane, about to die, even if it meant I got to survive I wouldn't serve him. I'd sacrifice myself if it meant saving the lives of others.

I don't mean to be rude, but uh, don't control me or my characters. I specifically characterize each of them very carefully and one thing that throws off their personality is something I don't accept.

Anne, I vote we kind of start this over.... It's getting a little chaotic. Not that I mean to start a whole new thread, just to pretend these posts never happened. And for the record, Quentin and Sniper Rose, Anne specifically stated that she doesn't want Kane or the Elites pulled into this. Respect her rules.

Ciao!

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
OOC: Are we starting now? If so, I shall go ahead and make a post, if not, just ignore it. Also, recently when my mom and I went to the mall, I tried on a dress that was so beautiful my mom said that I glowed in it. I still haven't forgotten that dress. I hope you guys don't mind that I'm dressing Lizzy up with this one.
~
A young teen looked at herself in the mirror uncertainly.

Staring back at her was a girl with blonde curled hair that bounced around her shoulders, emerald green eyes that sparkled in the light, a white mask held in her hand. Her dress was gorgeous -- flowing near-elbow-length sleeves rested on her arms, and her skirt appeared full but allowed her mobility. The white dress went modestly down to her knees but was longer in the back, a look that is hard to accomplish as beautiful but the maker of this dress had captured it perfectly. Her shoes were elegant white dance shoes, a padded soul on the bottom of the shoe and the 2-inch heel.

"Well, Elizabeth," the girl began, "this will be nothing like the feasts in Grizzleheim. Stay quiet, don't encourage activity with people you don't know, and make sure nobody can recognize you but your friends." With this, she put on the white mask.

It matched her ensemble perfectly, the rim of the mask sparkling the same as the dress and the shoes did. Despite the fact the she was girlified, Lizzy smiled to herself. When she spoke again, she had put on a flawless Marleybonian accent. "Let's go out there and have some fun."

She strutted out of the restrooms with obvious humble pride, drawing eyes as she walked past. No one knew who this masked belle was, but they all wanted to.

Lizzy walked up to a girl with reddish-brown hair that had beads tying it in the front. "Hello, Anne." Lizzy smiled, still using the perfected Marleybonian accent. "Recognize me?"

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Jacob Freeman: Dad; where did the Highlander go?
Kane: I don't ... OH MY GOODNESS! Someone escaped! Her best friend is Chrissy who I heard word that she's going to the ball.
Jacob Freeman: Well don't just stand there! We gotta go to the ball to assassinate two people now!
Kane: Okay Jacob. I also got a word from my spies saying the Athertons are plotting to destroy all out industries and ENTERPRISES!
Jacob Freeman: THAT RASCAL! We have to have some of your clockworks and Rooke to stay here.
Kane: Okay. Now let's go to Un Ballo. Set course to the island of Maschera!
Jacob Freeman: Let's pick The Destroyer of Balls.
Kane: PERFECT! I expect the Athertons to be there and they're stronger than the ones we want to kill. The Athertons are dangerous pirates and they shall be prisioned in the Prison in the Capital of Valencia, Cidaz.
Jacob Freeman: Let's go with this plan.
Kane: Okay.
*and they sail to the island of Maschera

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
*runs
*back at the Palace
WAIT A MINUTE! I thought there would be none of the Elites in this role-play.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
*shrinks from embarrassment* Hehehe... in that case, just discard my post. I will let Anne start the roleplay and allow the roleplay posts, including my own, to be discarded. Although, Mr. Sniper Rose, I must say I am impressed. This is the most you have ever participated in one roleplay and let's hope we will all use our skills accurately in the future. Just please, although I know that you read everything and pay attention to the storyline, please consider other people's reactions before you post using their characters, one of the Elites, Kane, or more than one character for that matter, as Anne has requested that we each use only one character. Also, if I may make a suggestion, although script is fun to read for me, it's a little bit difficult for me to understand because there are no people acting it out and I will have to visualize actions in my head, something difficult for me and I'm sure others to do, especially with the so little detail given in the script form that you have written.

So please, let's all wait for Anne to start the roleplay before we jump in.

*laughs nervously, shimmying over to my own post to try and hide it...*

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Just Add Bacon on Sep 16, 2013 wrote:
*shrinks from embarrassment* Hehehe... in that case, just discard my post. I will let Anne start the roleplay and allow the roleplay posts, including my own, to be discarded. Although, Mr. Sniper Rose, I must say I am impressed. This is the most you have ever participated in one roleplay and let's hope we will all use our skills accurately in the future. Just please, although I know that you read everything and pay attention to the storyline, please consider other people's reactions before you post using their characters, one of the Elites, Kane, or more than one character for that matter, as Anne has requested that we each use only one character. Also, if I may make a suggestion, although script is fun to read for me, it's a little bit difficult for me to understand because there are no people acting it out and I will have to visualize actions in my head, something difficult for me and I'm sure others to do, especially with the so little detail given in the script form that you have written.

So please, let's all wait for Anne to start the roleplay before we jump in.

*laughs nervously, shimmying over to my own post to try and hide it...*
Not to worry Elizabeth, it was a lovely post, and I will use it to formulate your dance gown when we actually get to the ball. I am waiting though, for what the gentlemen decide, because if they are having fun with this I need to wait until some time later, as it would be too confusing to have two Valencian ball roleplays at the same time. But if it comes to that, don't worry, the idea is not going to go away, just come back later.

I have to comically admit though, that this must be some sort of record, a thread hijacked before it even gets started!

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
So, Anne, will we start this off with group A together somewhere, going over their intriguing plans? I'm kind hoping so because I know I have to do a little bit of research into 18C ball gowns and mask. I am also trying to think of a mask for Scarlet that will reflect a bit of her personality. At first I thought of a fox mask, but decided to leave that for Emma if she wanted it. Instead I'm thinking of using a sort of artistic peregrine falcon mask. Or at least I'm trying to figure out how to describe a mask that gives the suggestion of a peregrine falcon's face.

Peregrine falcon because they are very graceful, are the fastest of the raptors, and are well known for their keen eyesight. Also, for people who may not know, a Peregrine is also a classical French clown.

I think Scarlet would pass best as an upper class lady, not a maid. I've always envisioned Scarlet as having a high Polarian accent due to her education, while a maid, even an upper class lady's maid would have a lower Polarian accent.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Dear Miss Anne, I do not believe that the gentlemen here would like to participate in this roleplay any more than they already have. May I suggest that we get started? I am personally very interested how this plays out in Valencia, the home of the enemies that we are trying to bring down. I'm already hooked on the plot and can't wait to see what happens. So, shall we get started?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Just Add Bacon on Sep 21, 2013 wrote:
Dear Miss Anne, I do not believe that the gentlemen here would like to participate in this roleplay any more than they already have. May I suggest that we get started? I am personally very interested how this plays out in Valencia, the home of the enemies that we are trying to bring down. I'm already hooked on the plot and can't wait to see what happens. So, shall we get started?
Certainly, Elizabeth. I've got some of it figured out, but I need to work out the various leading characters in Padova, since the story involves intrigue between them. It's a busy time of year for me, and I haven't much of a chance to think on Pirate (and when I do, I'm usually working on the denoument to Tea Leaves of Doom). I am hoping to catch up on a lot of my real work today, so I will try to get the first bit out today or tomorrow...