Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Towering Personalities

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 20, 2013
anecorbie on Sep 22, 2014 wrote:
Ahoy, well since the debut of the Tower of Moo Manchu ( thank you, Ratbeard, for all your hard work & devotion to this new dungeon. To your team also, many thanks ) I have used the Team Up option a majority of the time.
And an interesting social phenomenon has unveiled itself before my eyes.
In the first week of playing, I have met and become friends with many wonderful players. ( Even a group of die-hard pvpers ) They made the Tower an absolute pleasure to be in!
Now the less desirable personalities are creeping in, like ants at a picnic. These are:
Trolls ( they're everywhere & lets face it, having one on the team is like being locked in a barrel with an angry skunk! )
The Quitters ( a vast reason why most tower runs using team up fails ) The worst of these are quitters with an agenda.
And something new to me:
The Freeloader ( this player hangs back, you and the rest have begun battle, but this pirate waits on the edge of the battle board; until you have defeated or severely wounded a few enemies. Usually by the second or third round ) Then they join. When it comes to face the Nef-5, however, they are there to fight. Then they usually turn into a quitter, if they don't get what they want.
I actually met a freeloader. He was an absolute brat that threw a tantrum when the order of pirates didn't go the way he wanted them to go......sigh....still won the Tower though.

Ensign
May 16, 2014
DuranteRamses87 on Mar 17, 2015 wrote:
I distracted the nefarious five while breaking into love songs and dancing the tango with Faye while behind their backs my buddy Tyler took them out one by one. Best fight I had in a long time! Thanks Ratbeard! DRINK! (Friends let friends drink rum not potion!)

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
LOL I would have loved to watch this! Did you have a rose in your mouth like the bull fighter companion?

Noble Alexandria

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Captain Jack Aubre... on Mar 20, 2015 wrote:
LOL I would have loved to watch this! Did you have a rose in your mouth like the bull fighter companion?

Noble Alexandria
Sadly no, El Toro is very protective of his rose garden and I don't have a bull fighter companion. They have an unusual way of making El Toro see red.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
jack morgan933 on Sep 23, 2014 wrote:
I be happy fer ye on the many new friends ye made lass, and yet I couldn't agree with ye more on yer topic lass, they be some of many things that make go beyond the level of angry to BLISTERING FURY, pirates like those need to be thrown in the brig, ye here me.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
Yarr, ye pirate arr right arrr!!!
they should be in the brig so
anyway those bad guys are
like so bad i do not even want
to play pirate101 with them
they are so bad that the game
just turns into nothingness.
Seriously.
Quick Max Blake
Privateer
l
/ \

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
theprivateer12345 on Apr 5, 2015 wrote:
Yarr, ye pirate arr right arrr!!!
they should be in the brig so
anyway those bad guys are
like so bad i do not even want
to play pirate101 with them
they are so bad that the game
just turns into nothingness.
Seriously.
Quick Max Blake
Privateer
l
/ \
i do not even get what i wrote back there...... The point is. those guys should be punished i mean they waste your time right? why don't there be a new pirate101 reporting rule where if someone wastes your time in a dungeon you report them, BOOM
-Quick Max Blake, Privateer
l
/ \
YARRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
arr arr arr arr arr arr arr arr arr arr arr arr arr arr arr
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a pirate's life is me a yohohoho,hoho yohohohoho
yoho,yoho,yoho,hohohohoyohoyoho arr arr arr ar
yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
I.K.R. Often you find a team that play a game of "I see (he/she) is gonna defeat one! Nope not gonna happen," then do every thing in their position to ruin your build up hit making you lose all the powers you put into it powers. The other half of the team might do something like all attack the privateer boss early on and get charmed excessively and end up using their best powers on your team, Or destroy every Foo dog statue, or spam plenty of minions with like 50 health which the witchdoctor boss annihilates and spams soul harvest everywhere. Or when someone decides they're going to bail and leave 3 people. ;_; but when 1 person bailed the a second person bails leaving two people then its no longer a matter of we can do but instead I'm not going to walk all the way back here from the life fountain * Poof * Or what about people who don't open the 4 person chests because they already have full doubloons. Sometimes you use all your potions endless wounds then you see a player fled, then curl up in a ball and yell ''NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Oh well its only 300,000 coins in wound heals and only costs 60,000 gold to refill your potion bottles. " No biggy just almost twice the maximum amount of coins in you can own I mean just because were all 1/3 health and the nefarious five just Group healed 500 health each doesn't mean we cant do it, we still have odds an end powers right?"

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Here's one. So like an attack leaves our companions in poor health. My Gracie was inches from death and his was a little under half and he orders me to "save his companion and not mine." Yet he didn't help save anybody else either. Also yelled at me because I attacked twice during a two hour run. I buff and heal all the time. At the time it was strategically sound for me to throw bombs. Yet he ordered me to stop attacking even though the enemy was triggering my repel boarders epic (which I can't stop guys) and just buff and heal. Sorry if twice the entire time was too much.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
Here's one. So like an attack leaves our companions in poor health. My Gracie was inches from death and his was a little under half and he orders me to "save his companion and not mine." Yet he didn't help save anybody else either. Also yelled at me because I attacked twice during a two hour run. I buff and heal all the time. At the time it was strategically sound for me to throw bombs. Yet he ordered me to stop attacking even though the enemy was triggering my repel boarders epic (which I can't stop guys) and just buff and heal. Sorry if twice the entire time was too much.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
I expect a Privateer to buff and heal, having played as a Privateer myself ( all the way to max ) I know this is the primary function of that class. The nerve of him demanding that you heal his companion over your own! Repel Boarders will stop a Privy from being flattened by an attacker, it is the only way a Privy can protect themselves from a direct attack.
It's obvious that he didn't understand this class at all.

Ensign
Nov 09, 2014
I've only been in the Tower twice, but this last run I met a couple of the 'types' already mentioned:
The Fan and Napoleguin.
The Fan was a Privy and he was always praising the other buccaneer in the team-up; it was getting a bit embarrassing ( me: ) He was also one of those privys already mentioned here, he never gave us a buff or ever healed us! His favorite move was to throw Valor's Armor on himself and vicious charge an enemy. On floor four he asks ME for a heal ( I'm a buck )! In fact if I or the other team members didn't use El Toro, we wouldn't have had a buff at all!
The only other buff we got was from Napoleguin ( the other buck in the team ) he had Moo's Staff of Power and gave us relentless.
Now for Napoleguin, he had the nerve to criticize me for using Reckless Frenzy on the first floor; "dude, they're easy why waste it on them." I said "because they're easy, I can beat them faster, so I loose less health."
"Yeah, but you still loose health." he says"take this advice from a Master Buccaneer." Me: rlly, I'm max level too, you know.
The last member of our team will get nothing but praise from me; she was a swashbuckler. She knew what to do and when to do it, she used a team of Sarah Steele & Lucy Sterling, an awesome duo! She wasn't chatty; as she explained: "I don't like to talk while I fight." Well that just shows me that you're focused, which I waish the other two were.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012

So I'm looking back at this thread and just wanted to comment on something that bothers me about some of the comments about the AFK warriors. I just wanted to point out that a large number of people who play Pirate101 are in the 12-17 years old range. This means that many of them can't stay at their computer if their parents want them to get off. For instance, the person who had to get a haircut, I have actually had this happen to me before. I was in the middle of the hydra fight when my sister was going to go get her haircut. My mother, trying to hit 2 birds with 1 stone, decided that she would take me as well. I am so so very sorry to whoever I was doing the hydra with, but there wasn't much I could do. I just hope that people here remember that a majority of players are not in charge of their own schedules.

Ensign
Nov 09, 2014
It's beginning to be noticed by players in the Tower, how some ( not all ) privateers are playing their class. I've just had another tower run ruined by one who was not only not doing what a privateer should do, but was also afk because he was watching you tube! ( he told us this. )
We were in the fire room ( fourth floor ) and were being roasted alive when our SB asks "why is it taking so long to finish?" I say "because our privateer hasn't given us any buffs." Like NONE at all. Then our witchdoctor says " and he just heals his selfish self."
Me " too busy watching you tube."
SB "that's no excuse."
It's pretty bad when your team mates are noticing AND commenting on your performance. When the team has to depend on a buff from a SB or healing from a Buck, it's a sad commentary on the privateer class.

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
I expect a Privateer to buff and heal, having played as a Privateer myself ( all the way to max ) I know this is the primary function of that class. The nerve of him demanding that you heal his companion over your own! Repel Boarders will stop a Privy from being flattened by an attacker, it is the only way a Privy can protect themselves from a direct attack.
It's obvious that he didn't understand this class at all.
i agree and disagree with you repel boarders are great and all it does protect priveteers but sometimes i use *Walk In Shadows* or something and when a enemy comes to me i just randomly use repel boarders when i was about to do a very powerful attack. it's very annoying to me
l
/ \

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
theprivateer12345 on Apr 15, 2015 wrote:
i agree and disagree with you repel boarders are great and all it does protect priveteers but sometimes i use *Walk In Shadows* or something and when a enemy comes to me i just randomly use repel boarders when i was about to do a very powerful attack. it's very annoying to me
l
/ \
Yar, mate! I can't tell you how many times I've been 'popped' out of 'hide' because a Privateer used Dress the Line, lol. That and Flanking, which is the main reason I don't use the Nefarious Knives anymore.....

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
One of the problems with the power creep in this game is the number of cards/abilities.

Characters/NPCs have so many reactive cards that it exponentially increases the length of the fight.

I mean, I love my Moo Manchu robe, but those Terror-Cotta Warriors really cause the fights to last a long time. And if someone else has one of those 5-9 summons.... fights can take a while.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Two new personalities for you, friends. One positive and one silly.:
The Bold Encourager: this pirate means to finish the Tower no matter what. On this run I had a full team until one player went afk after the third floor. Well, we continued on & in the middle of floor 6 he left ( or timed out ). So I asked "Should we go on?' I've had players bail in this situation. But this one said "No, we've come this far, let's continue". We finished the Tower with just three, a splendid example of boldness ( or stubbornness ). And I came out of that run with a good friend!
Statue Breakers: I've been doing a lot of tower runs on the weekends. I'm so tired of being careful on the third floor, that I decided to try an experiment - what would happen if I suggested that we break the statues? Out of the 3 runs I did that day, when asked "Do you want to break the statues?" One pirate said "No", one was menu-chat; but seven pirates gave me an enthusiastic "Yeah!"
The results of breaking was very interesting: the fight didn't last any longer than usual ( for the tower ) and the Foo Lions were actually easier to defeat.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Another personality I forgot to mention
The Reporter - This began very strangely, we entered the Tower and began battle as usual. When one player says "I'm sorry to tell you but I've just taken a screen shot of all of us." I'm thinking, 'Why be sorry?' Then he continues "The first person to leave this team up without finishing, I'm writing a ticket and sending in the screen shot." Then he begins a rant about the Tower runs ruined by quitters, Yes I totally understood his point, but this was going way too far.
'What about connection issues?', I pointed out. Then I told him leaving a team up ( for any reason ) wasn't a reportable offense and he was finally quiet. BTW we completed that run

Petty Officer
Jun 01, 2009
I have yet to do the tower run in a group. Simply haven't wanted to. Nipped at it a few times solo, though couldn't pass the battles after the fire floor.

I am likely to give it a serious try once I max my privateer. I am reading a lot of good "do's and don'ts" about them.

Ensign
May 31, 2014
Logan Sharp on Oct 9, 2014 wrote:
just ran into one today (Oct 9, 2014)

the Perfect Planner

this guy wants everything planned out perfectly, always knows where to go to use all the talents, and everything must be perfect according to him

(this may be another of those C'MON MAN! kinda ones but trust me it gets better)

if you take up one of "his spaces" by accident, oh man he will complain and ask you to move (name) so he can perform his actions the perfect way, and if you don't move in time...... you don't hear the end of it -_-
I ran into a Perfect Planner yesterday. We got to the five fight and i don't know why but we decided to listen to him, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about (he didn't). We won the fight ... but he was the only one who livedSome plan. -Wolf

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
King Wolf on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
I ran into a Perfect Planner yesterday. We got to the five fight and i don't know why but we decided to listen to him, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about (he didn't). We won the fight ... but he was the only one who livedSome plan. -Wolf
Well, obviously he did know how to run the fight, you won. Sometimes you meet a personal defeat, sometimes you don't. The important thing is to win the battle.
I'm interested about his class and tactics, though. And just how did most of his team end up bobble-headed?

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
this thread perfectly describes why I solo tower when I run it(excluding clanmates)

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
i also really dont like it when someone just demands a heal, no please just a give me a heal, like really, you have 27 damage from a terrorcotta explosion, excuse me i need to heal the companion thats tanking so we dont lose anyone

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
this thread perfectly describes why I solo tower when I run it(excluding clanmates)
I'm with you, Robert! As soon as I get my hands on Moo's Imperial Robes and the Masque of the Lotus, I'll be soloing that tower, no more team-ups! I'm tired of the trolls, users, and generally defective players.
x Sigh x
Let me tell you what just happened a few minutes ago: I was in the tower, playing my WD and we had a good team-up ( so I thought ).
A good privateer, musketeer and a swashbuckler. The swashie was menu chat. We fought our way through the floors, everything seemed fine. UNTIL we got to the Nef-5, that's when it happened, our swashie turned traitor and drank the elixir. Un-equipped max SB. But worse than that, he didn't need to drink it! He was already wearing the Nefarious sixth badge!
And what does our gallant privateer do? Flees at the first round! Leaving me and the musketeer to fight it out.
I stayed two more rounds after, but I thought "Why am I doing this? It's not like this guy is doing it for the badge, he's doing it to be a troll." So I fled.
I so wish this was a reportable offence, we completely wasted our time there.
I remember his name, if I see him again in a team-up, I'm declining. I wonder how many other team-ups this guy has wrecked.

Lieutenant
May 07, 2009
This has happened to me every time I've tried doing the tower today. As soon as we enter, someone leaves.
I have no name for these people, but I do know they're annoying.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I've just met a most idiotic player, a privateer who hates being a privateer. In fact I had no idea he was a privateer ( because not one buff or heal came our way through 6 floors ) until one of the players asked if he could drink the potion; here's the conversation:
: "If he drinks, I'm not fighting."
Other : "Why?"
"This class is lame."
General confusion follows,. He then explains that privies are like Life Wizards, only good for healing, he likes to attack and hates playing defensively. When I asked why he made a privy if he hates it so much, he said he didn't realize how lame it was. That was his phrase. I wonder why he continued with this class all the way to max level. When I pointed out that the Privy class was more like a Balance wizard, he said something rude.
Up-shot was, that team up went down the tubes.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 20, 2015 wrote:
I've just met a most idiotic player, a privateer who hates being a privateer. In fact I had no idea he was a privateer ( because not one buff or heal came our way through 6 floors ) until one of the players asked if he could drink the potion; here's the conversation:
: "If he drinks, I'm not fighting."
Other : "Why?"
"This class is lame."
General confusion follows,. He then explains that privies are like Life Wizards, only good for healing, he likes to attack and hates playing defensively. When I asked why he made a privy if he hates it so much, he said he didn't realize how lame it was. That was his phrase. I wonder why he continued with this class all the way to max level. When I pointed out that the Privy class was more like a Balance wizard, he said something rude.
Up-shot was, that team up went down the tubes.
Dang, that guy sounds like a real snob and a downer to play with.. Privies may not be as interesting as say Swashbucklers or Witchdoctors but we're far from lame :p No class is lame, everyone has merits. I wish he'd see that. Though I've never encountered that type of player before, I know I would absolutely despise teaming up with them. Buffs and heals give so much potential upsides to your team, that simply attacking and never buffing is hurting your team more than it's helping. Sorry you had to play with that guy. On a different note, how many Tower Runs have you completed? From what I've seen, you are a pro at them and I'm very curious to see how your badge is coming along. If you've already made it to 100, congratulations! If you're still going, also congratulations! Hope you reach your goal :)

Have a fantastic week!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Ringleader