Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Well... It's not Nothing.

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
For anyone who has not yet seen it, check out the Producer's Letter! It's a little ... different ... but hey, that's not necessarily bad. we'll just have to see what the future holds. Anyway, on to the discussion of the letter's content!

First and foremost: Ranked PvP, FFA PvP, and the first ever Naval Gauntlet! I won't deny, I am super excited about all this stuff. I'm no hardcore PvPer, but I'm somewhat capable. I'm actually probably more potent nautically, so I can't wait to see what's up with this new gauntlet. Additionally, I'm going to be attempting to organize a regular Pluton-Farming group to get as many of us as possible ready for the gauntlet.

Now for the Kill-joy...

Falmea has confirmed that there will be no story update this summer... and indeed, quite expressly, that there will be no story update in the foreseeable future. Not gonna lie, that isn't entirely unexpected, but no less of a disappointment. I'm also not sure I entirely understand what the deal is with the whole 'MMO-Live' thing.

In Summary, we got a huge PvP update, a nautical gauntlet, and a very very rare reference from a KI staff member to the story. While many of us, perhaps accurately, have referred to this as 'fluff', it is at least a recognition of the game's status. What are your thoughts? Are you hyped to get out there and go toe to toe with your fellow pirates? are you ready to take to the skies and go cannon to cannon with pirates that are not your fellow pirates? Or are you ready and waiting for that new story to take place, when it does finally come?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Blixet on Jul 15, 2015 wrote:
For anyone who has not yet seen it, check out the Producer's Letter! It's a little ... different ... but hey, that's not necessarily bad. we'll just have to see what the future holds. Anyway, on to the discussion of the letter's content!

First and foremost: Ranked PvP, FFA PvP, and the first ever Naval Gauntlet! I won't deny, I am super excited about all this stuff. I'm no hardcore PvPer, but I'm somewhat capable. I'm actually probably more potent nautically, so I can't wait to see what's up with this new gauntlet. Additionally, I'm going to be attempting to organize a regular Pluton-Farming group to get as many of us as possible ready for the gauntlet.

Now for the Kill-joy...

Falmea has confirmed that there will be no story update this summer... and indeed, quite expressly, that there will be no story update in the foreseeable future. Not gonna lie, that isn't entirely unexpected, but no less of a disappointment. I'm also not sure I entirely understand what the deal is with the whole 'MMO-Live' thing.

In Summary, we got a huge PvP update, a nautical gauntlet, and a very very rare reference from a KI staff member to the story. While many of us, perhaps accurately, have referred to this as 'fluff', it is at least a recognition of the game's status. What are your thoughts? Are you hyped to get out there and go toe to toe with your fellow pirates? are you ready to take to the skies and go cannon to cannon with pirates that are not your fellow pirates? Or are you ready and waiting for that new story to take place, when it does finally come?
I'm NOT 'Hyped', I'm hurt!!!!!!!
That being said, KI is a savvy enough company that wouldn't spend time and resources to just bring us side content, that's not where the 'bread and butter' of an MMO comes from. It comes from players who want a fun game with a good quest line. If the story has been delayed, there must be a good reason.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I predict this thread won't be open long...

I am curious about the naval gauntlet and some of the miscellaneous bells and whistles we may see with the update (Falmea hints at a few). Unfortunately, it seems the biggest bit of the update is the ranked PvP, which I am not at all interested in.

I do appreciate that she addressed the elephant in the room (the buffaloon in the forum?) concerning a story extension/level cap raise. The news is not good, but I would rather have the bad news than no news.

-Indigo

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Blixet on Jul 15, 2015 wrote:

Now for the Kill-joy...

I'm thinking I'll check out when my subscriptions end and possibly drop 'em at that point. I can shift to being a crowns player for a while, until the next storyline update comes out. No sense frittering away money on a game that isn't updating in a way I can appreciate, and once I've paid for a section, it's mine. If they ever get back to doing the actual story, I'll resubscribe then.

Heck, I'd have been happy if they'd just lifted the level cap a couple of levels, so I could finish what there is of this game with all my pirates and not lose the XP.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
anecorbie on Jul 15, 2015 wrote:
That being said, KI is a savvy enough company that wouldn't spend time and resources to just bring us side content, that's not where the 'bread and butter' of an MMO comes from. It comes from players who want a fun game with a good quest line. If the story has been delayed, there must be a good reason.
I really agree with you there. At first I was the tiniest bit excited..... until the story remark. Just, why is the story delayed for so long? I'm just really frustrated and hurt that Kingsisle is reluctant to release a little more story.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Well, I was pretty sure when I heard the rumors of ranked pvp coming to P101, that there would not be a continuation of the story. It just wouldn't make sense to release both at the same time. Having said that, I am super excited for ranked pvp and I'm sure the other features of the update will be great too. I never have problems finding things to do in the game even with 5 max levels. Lets see...I have lots of pvp practice to do lol. There is still some gear out there I need to farm for and all my pirates have several pages of companions to max...except for my overachieving Swashbuckler who has 4 pages of max companions lol. I foresee many Smuggler's Arena runs in my near future because I'm sure that the Black Market expansion will include plenty of cool stuff and I want to hit the ground running on that one. Another thing I really enjoy doing is helping other people with quests and I know many other pirates that do also. If you haven't done so already, I would recommend starting a new class. If you maxed a melee unit, try a ranged unit next. It's a whole new ball game when you switch classes and I found it to be loads of fun. It also helps you in pvp if you have an intimate knowledge of all the classes and there's no better way to get to know a class than by playing it. Anyway, thanks KI for what I'm sure will be a fantastic update. Fair sailing, friends.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Well, internal upheaval and restructuring aside, I am looking forward to the Test Realm. I'm not sure why all of the changes have taken place since the game opened, but I have to believe they were player-feedback-based. The game as they initially designed it was not the huge hit they were hoping for. They've been tweaking and fixing for two years now in the hopes of pleasing more people and drawing new players in. PvP has been requested from the beginning and was probably in the timeline anyway, so even if it's not my cup of tea, I can only hope that it brings some players back and increases revenue enough to support a release for Book 15.

I've been subscribed for two accounts pretty much the whole time since Beta, and I buy crowns pretty regularly. I also encourage people who ask to try the game and see what they think. I don't understand the reluctance to share their struggles with us, but that's the corporate world for you.

I want to see the new Scrip items, and the Naval gauntlet. I may dip my toes into the waters of Ranked PvP, but I'm pretty sure I will give some players a few wins and then bow out.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
I think I'll just unsubscribe now because, well, if there isn't any type of story update by the end of the year, I might as well find a new game, because this is ridiculous. Its been more than 2 years! It seems as though KI has time to work on Wizard, but not Pirate. As I recall KI has 50 million players, well I'm guessing you could use the money you get from 50 million people, to at least benefit them to where they will be satisfied with the game itself. I am sorry if I sound rude, I am just preaching the truth. I'm genuinely worried that Pirate will just absolutely fall because of lack of story and game play. Throwing a little update here and there, will not fix everyone's perspective on the matter, just nail the update, and you are done. Thank you.

Catherine Reade- Lvl 65

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Jul 15, 2015 wrote:
Yes, but it'd be nice if they shared that reason with us. Not necessarily specifics, but a general explanation why the long (and increasingly longer) delay in the story.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Thus update will bring some features that many people have been asking for. But it is not what the game needs. MMOs live or die based on their content. If there isn't enough content then there is no reason to play. Ranked PvP is not content. It is a side diversion that people will do while waiting for more content. And if the possibility of more story content is unknown even to the developers, what is the point of doing these diversions. What is the point of playing and paying for the game at all?

If the devs don't get story content out soon, they will lose even more loyal fans. This game is great and I want to play it, but the money-hungry attitude (see all the new mounts and pets in the crown shop) will kill the game.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
What Falmea said about the story was pretty much the kill-joy of the update. It just saddens me to see how much work they put into Wizard101 and the silence they just give to us in Pirate101.

Although I am curious to see what new scrip stuff they have in store for us...... I hope they give us Companion-based weapons, like Louis' harpoon gun or maybe even Subodai's sword!

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
I am a PvE player at the moment (trying to get all of my characters to max, 3 more characters to go ) however, I plan on getting into Ranked PvP when it releases. I'm a huge fan of PvP. One of my favorite games besides Pirate is a MOBA and I play it alot, so don't think I'm a stranger to a competitive environment.

From a PvE standpoint, I am sad that Book 15 isn't coming out. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. The Pirate101 main storyline is my favorite storyline that I have ever played through. It's simple to understand, but there is depth to it. It's creative and really fun to play through. So naturally I'm depressed that it is not coming this summer. Despite all that, this is the best possible update that they could have implemented.

With a Ranked PvP system, there will be an increased number of long term subscriptions to the game. The PvP players will be the ones that play the most and spend the most real life money to, for example, buy crowns and try and get a bear in the Grizzly Beast Booster Pack. They are the player group that provides the most reliable and solid form of income for KI. That will be the base funding for ALL future updates. A story update would only bring in profit for a month or 2 before we finish it and beg for Book 16.

Let us look at the producers letter analytically. If you notice when the good professor starts to talk about the story update, it appears that something big has happened internally. In Blind Mew's Story board threads, he hints about Book 15 a lot and he even hinted at Book 18. In fact, Blind Mew said that he has a couple ideas floating around in his head about other Arcs past the El Dorado Arc, so it is obvious that there was a plan going forward. However, that plan seems to have gone array, so they needed a new one. Mrs. Falmea stated that the story is being looked at and I wholeheartedly agree that this new MMO team will make the story a grand one.

Overall, I'm excited and the story will come when it comes.

Petty Officer
May 13, 2010
Obviously, there was an issue with the story or the direction P101 was headed that KI did not like. As previously mentioned by several people I am also glad that KI has been upfront with us. At least we are being stopped from getting our hopes up really high only to be disappointed. By correcting the "ship" KI is also ensuring the story arch is the best we can get. Plus, with the combination of P101 and W101 there are more resources and people to build the game. Once we get past this bump in the road we should see updates more frequently after that point.

The next update looks like a lot of care has been put into it and according to the producers letter, something for all levels of pirates. Lets all enjoy this new expansion, understand that problems are being fixed, and look to the future for more pirate adventures

Developer
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Jul 16, 2015 wrote:
What Falmea said about the story was pretty much the kill-joy of the update. It just saddens me to see how much work they put into Wizard101 and the silence they just give to us in Pirate101.

Although I am curious to see what new scrip stuff they have in store for us...... I hope they give us Companion-based weapons, like Louis' harpoon gun or maybe even Subodai's sword!
I hope they give us Companion-based weapons, like Louis' harpoon gun or maybe even Subodai's sword!

Why aim your expectations so low?

Lieutenant
Apr 30, 2011
I recently canceled my subscription, so, I'm sure this will be the last thing I'll post for awhile, and..
..Yeah.

I have to agree. It's nothing but fluff. I've waited two years. I practically died inside upon reading "OVERDUE ranked player vs. player update," because I'm honestly not into the whole pvp thing.

The dungeons are bland, just more grinding to do, but this time ships. Woo.

I mean, if they aren't going to produce anything to the story, I think they need to add more activities than just farming the same dungeons over and over and over again..

Gah. I'm so negative. I hope they pick up the pieces and fix the two year gap soon.