Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Fort Elena thoughts

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ahoy there!

Going through Fort Elena was a good adventure, but I have thoughts on how that instance could be improved.

The dungeon's last boss, & Book 8's last boss, Optimus Rubeus, lacks some things that end-of-book bosses should have, unique & rare boss loot to his loot table, because, he truly lacks plenty of it, honestly(true story), & boss cheats that make the battle challenging, & taunting boss speech dialogue by encountering him. I think all these should be added to him.

Here's my thoughts on how that boss could be improved...

1. Optimus Rubeus' boss speech dialogue before combat:
"Cease and desist here, young Pirate! We already know of your plan to free the defeated prisoner, Napoleguin. Phule informed us of this the moment you've freed him from his cell. All of you will surrender immediately, and he will remain here to serve his life sentence, while you relinquish the Map Piece you have to me, and the rest will be sent away to Cadiz. Otherwise, your lives are forfeit at my hands, if you defy me! Your choice. You can't win. Troops, commence defensive assault! Subdue and capture them all! Destroy them, if necessary."

2. Optimus Rubeus' boss cheats:

(Cheat 1) At the start of the battle, Optimus Rubeus cheat summons new Barricade Blasters that are a combination of a barricade and a sparkshooter welded together. After that, each individual barricade will be shooting electricity to the target at a fixated, linear range if a unit gets close enough for it to fire automatically each turn until destroyed. They occupy only one vertical row of the battleboard's squares near him upon being summoned by the boss, leaving the players to destroy their way through to reach the boss. Cannot cheat summon another once all are destroyed.
Level: 28
Health: 145
Cheat Speech: "You will never spring Napoleguin out of this prison! Kane says so! No one leaves here... in one piece!"

(Cheat 2) If close enough, Optimus Rubeus cheat casts a unique attack called Steel Wave. Damages all targets within range & gives out movement & -25% Accuracy & Dodge debuffs that lasts for 3 turns. This continues every 4 rounds until he is defeated.
Cheat Speech: "Your lives are already forfeit for attempting to escape with the prisoner! Suffer your dire consequences of your actions!"

3. New victory condition to turn it into an Epic Battle: Defeat Optimus Rubeus.

4. Update Optimus Rubeus' loot table by giving him a boatload of his own unique & rare boss loot. He truly severely lacks any, being that he's Fort Elena's last boss & Book 8's last boss & such. I would like to grab something truly unique from him at his appropriate level.

Those are my thoughts on improving the instance. Hope you can bring them sometime soon.

Thanks again for listening!

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
This is good
It's just that Optimus reubeus is not hard and those ideas won't make him that much harder

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
witchdoctor daruis on Aug 16, 2015 wrote:
This is good
It's just that Optimus reubeus is not hard and those ideas won't make him that much harder
Just thought I would give him something creative, yet have him appropriately challenging at his level, & the fact that he lacks a lot of good unique boss loot in his table.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Trimond297 on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
Just thought I would give him something creative, yet have him appropriately challenging at his level, & the fact that he lacks a lot of good unique boss loot in his table.
He should probably drop advanced gear for the lvl you vs him at and acquire a cheat like power but I think that's it, I think it's a great suggestion to put it that way

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
witchdoctor daruis on Aug 19, 2015 wrote:
He should probably drop advanced gear for the lvl you vs him at and acquire a cheat like power but I think that's it, I think it's a great suggestion to put it that way
Yeah. He should definitely drop advanced gear as his unique boss loot & his own boss cheats, being that he's Book 8's last boss, that would be called an End-of-Book boss. Right now, other than gold, he only drops two weapons that are too common, the Armada Trooper's Fulmentor, & the Armada Marine's Bulwark.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Trimond297 on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
Yeah. He should definitely drop advanced gear as his unique boss loot & his own boss cheats, being that he's Book 8's last boss, that would be called an End-of-Book boss. Right now, other than gold, he only drops two weapons that are too common, the Armada Trooper's Fulmentor, & the Armada Marine's Bulwark.
Those useless weapons *sigh*

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
witchdoctor daruis on Aug 21, 2015 wrote:
Those useless weapons *sigh*
Hope they have time to revise the last battle to add in boss cheats & his loot table to add in his unique drops. Would make it more worth spending some time farming him.

Ensign
Dec 16, 2011
Island of doom: Yay, I got an armada weapon
Valencia: Another armada weapon?
Port Regal: Oh, I got an armada weapon. Better add that to the pile

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
The Western Djinni on Nov 14, 2015 wrote:
Island of doom: Yay, I got an armada weapon
Valencia: Another armada weapon?
Port Regal: Oh, I got an armada weapon. Better add that to the pile
I know. And even at Beachhead's dungeons, too.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Trimond, I don't know how old you are but you really should apply for a job at Kingsisle, you got such a great flow oozing use that in KI

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm sorry, but Rubeus' speech just doesn't sound like a clockwork; it sounds like the standard, ranting bad guy. Compare what you've written to Ceasarus ( ? ) on the Isle of Fetch:
"I calculate that you are the one who destroyed Beachhead...."
And other clockworks:
"We never stop, we never tire..." Etc.
"surrender or die!"
One thing I must point out - we never released Phule from his prison. I'm sure the Armada did that or since the prison was so battered by the attack that there was a mass - break out of prisoners ( Brastillo being one ).
The only prisoners we personally released were: Mustang Sally, Napoleguin, his valet & his honor guard. ( poor chaps, I hope Napoleguin reconsidered his notion of hanging them. )
When I went through the first time, I didn't have the levels that players have now when entering Ft. Elena, I found it a challenge and was almost defeated several times. Making the enemy tougher without adding cheats ( or cheat speeches, the horror! ) would be enough.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
anecorbie on Jan 7, 2016 wrote:
I'm sorry, but Rubeus' speech just doesn't sound like a clockwork; it sounds like the standard, ranting bad guy. Compare what you've written to Ceasarus ( ? ) on the Isle of Fetch:
"I calculate that you are the one who destroyed Beachhead...."
And other clockworks:
"We never stop, we never tire..." Etc.
"surrender or die!"
One thing I must point out - we never released Phule from his prison. I'm sure the Armada did that or since the prison was so battered by the attack that there was a mass - break out of prisoners ( Brastillo being one ).
The only prisoners we personally released were: Mustang Sally, Napoleguin, his valet & his honor guard. ( poor chaps, I hope Napoleguin reconsidered his notion of hanging them. )
When I went through the first time, I didn't have the levels that players have now when entering Ft. Elena, I found it a challenge and was almost defeated several times. Making the enemy tougher without adding cheats ( or cheat speeches, the horror! ) would be enough.
The Armada has different ways of receiving word from our actions, & I know we never released Phule. Rather, he was watching us free Napoleguin. Would you believe that certain Armada troops, & even the Elites themselves, had transmitters built in their mechanical minds to inform others of our actions? Even for robots, they should have transmitters built in. How else would they know?

If KI decides to add in new dialogue to previous bosses that didn't have any, I'm sure their writers would have come up with dialogue that may be different from what others have written in their minds & sent to KI. Even I can admit, my writing may give KI a little inspiration, & they may do changes & slight trimming, so to not bring out the "standard ranting bad guy" feeling you described. Don't worry about that. What's wrong with giving them a little inspiration from some players?

I really enjoyed certain previous bosses in Cool Ranch (E.G., Frido Banditoad) & MooShu (E.G., Jae Wai Yung & Tah Mee Shaw) having dialogue before combat, because that brought hints of personalities to them. Previously, I've been through them before on my Swashbuckler Pirate, at the time P101 was very new, they didn't have any, & it had that awkward silencing moments before going to battle with them, & to some, it felt hollow. I even thought they need dialogue. Today, they do, & I was very happy with how they did it. I've heard them before while on my Privateer Pirate.

Don't worry, as before, the bosses' cheat speeches would play, just only on the moment they use them the first time, & no more onwards during battles. I wouldn't even want their cheat speeches replayed every time they use their cheats.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Trimond297 on Jan 8, 2016 wrote:
The Armada has different ways of receiving word from our actions, & I know we never released Phule. Rather, he was watching us free Napoleguin. Would you believe that certain Armada troops, & even the Elites themselves, had transmitters built in their mechanical minds to inform others of our actions? Even for robots, they should have transmitters built in. How else would they know?

If KI decides to add in new dialogue to previous bosses that didn't have any, I'm sure their writers would have come up with dialogue that may be different from what others have written in their minds & sent to KI. Even I can admit, my writing may give KI a little inspiration, & they may do changes & slight trimming, so to not bring out the "standard ranting bad guy" feeling you described. Don't worry about that. What's wrong with giving them a little inspiration from some players?

I really enjoyed certain previous bosses in Cool Ranch (E.G., Frido Banditoad) & MooShu (E.G., Jae Wai Yung & Tah Mee Shaw) having dialogue before combat, because that brought hints of personalities to them. Previously, I've been through them before on my Swashbuckler Pirate, at the time P101 was very new, they didn't have any, & it had that awkward silencing moments before going to battle with them, & to some, it felt hollow. I even thought they need dialogue. Today, they do, & I was very happy with how they did it. I've heard them before while on my Privateer Pirate.

Don't worry, as before, the bosses' cheat speeches would play, just only on the moment they use them the first time, & no more onwards during battles. I wouldn't even want their cheat speeches replayed every time they use their cheats.
Yes, those cheat speeches are what is so annoying in W101.
I believe that the Armada are able to keep up with our pirate's actions, not through transmitters, but by spies ( Deacon was the Spymaster, and not all spies are clockworks ) or survivors of our encounters with Armada. Transmitters seem too technically advanced for the Spiral.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
anecorbie on Jan 8, 2016 wrote:
Yes, those cheat speeches are what is so annoying in W101.
I believe that the Armada are able to keep up with our pirate's actions, not through transmitters, but by spies ( Deacon was the Spymaster, and not all spies are clockworks ) or survivors of our encounters with Armada. Transmitters seem too technically advanced for the Spiral.
Hmm... maybe via Morse Code-esque devices built in them? I think many old soldiers from back in the past days used old-fashioned Morse Code devices that were invented to transmit messages to people to inform them about the battles & situations & so forth. Well, at least, that's what I hear.

Granted, the cheat speeches in W101 may be annoying, being that they play to many bosses through certain triggers or certain turn amounts in duels, but, I'm only saying that in P101, the bosses' cheat speeches don't have to be played every time. Just played only once when bosses do their cheats for the first time, & no more. Perhaps that may ease up the annoyance factor.

Plus, Rubeus' loot table needs at least something new & unique added so he may be worth farming to lower level Pirates.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
I thought of a good drop for Optimus Rubeus
Armada Marines Gear

Bonus Rank of Accuracy and Bonus Rank of Hold The Line

It would go in the totem slot and look like an Armada Gear

What do you guys think? It would make him unqiue and have a cool drop so that other classes can get hold the line 3

Ensign
Dec 28, 2015
Although we will eventually fight Phule, I wish we had fought him in Fort Elena as the final fight in it. They could've made it a big fight, with a full fledged Second Chance chest. Oh well, hopefully we will fight him (and maybe the queen!) in the inevitable Valencia Part 2.

Hope to see yeh' around the Spiral!
Slick Seth Sawkins Lvl 65 / Quick Quincy Quarton Lvl 42 / Dark Mark Lvl 5