Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Potential Solution for the No-Trade controversy.

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Hello, my fellow Marauders (and our illustrious staff) and welcome to this unnecessarily articulate intro sentence of this thread!

Now that that is out of the way, i have what i consider to be an agreeable solution to all parties on the issue of No-Trade items, but first, (for those who don't have a clue what I am talking about) I will explain the issue in a nutshell.

No-Trade items are excellent pieces of gear, quite literally the most superior gear available in the game. they can only be received by getting them as a drop in the Tower of Moo Manchu. The Tower is an EXTREMELY enjoyable challenge, and quite a challenge at that. it drops many different kinds of gear, and the best of those pieces are labeled No-Trade, which means they cannot be shared in the Shared bank. the issue comes in here: much of the gear can be obtained with RELATIVE ease, and there are only a few exceptions to that: the Nefarious Five's gear. None of the most coveted gear that they drop is class specific, but each of the weapons are geared towards a specific class. each of the weapons requires the talent: 'example weapon 2' to be used.

Now, there are 2 sides to this argument: If you could simply get all you wanted on one pirate without any actual fighting using said pirate, you are missing out on the experience! you should get it 'legitimately' or not at all.
The other side says: We HAVE gotten them legitimately! we have done the farming, done the grinding, and got the gear! BUT, there is a place where it could be better used. My buccaneer doesn't know what to do with the staff, and my witchdoctor just shot himself in the foot with the nova-blaster! these are great weapons, but they are just gonna sit and gather dust if they are not right for us.

I will be honest, I favor the second side. most of us players do. however, I also completely understand the view of the first argument, and I cannot claim that they also have a point. So, here is my (perhaps slightly outlandish) potential solution.

A third bank. similar to the shared bank, but with an interesting twist:to put a SINGLE item in, you have to pay the current maximum of gold in the game, 200,000 gold. to pull a SINGLE item out, you also must pay 200,000 gold. this way, you almost guarantee that each pirate does a run of the tower, as it is the most effective way to fill your pockets. I feel like this is a fair proposition, and I hope that you all consider it (Marauders and staff alike). Please, give me any and all feedback, and get your friends to acknowledge this post so that it can come to the attention of KI. I understand that you all are receiving a torrent of threads about this, and i know that any change is unlikely. Because of that, i have on final request: If there is no point to talking about it, if the current situation is Your Final Decision, i will understand and accept that. I simply ask that you tell us that there will be no change.

Yours Truly, Matthew Walker.
65, 31

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Blixet on Oct 5, 2014 wrote:
Hello, my fellow Marauders (and our illustrious staff) and welcome to this unnecessarily articulate intro sentence of this thread!

Now that that is out of the way, i have what i consider to be an agreeable solution to all parties on the issue of No-Trade items, but first, (for those who don't have a clue what I am talking about) I will explain the issue in a nutshell.

No-Trade items are excellent pieces of gear, quite literally the most superior gear available in the game. they can only be received by getting them as a drop in the Tower of Moo Manchu. The Tower is an EXTREMELY enjoyable challenge, and quite a challenge at that. it drops many different kinds of gear, and the best of those pieces are labeled No-Trade, which means they cannot be shared in the Shared bank. the issue comes in here: much of the gear can be obtained with RELATIVE ease, and there are only a few exceptions to that: the Nefarious Five's gear. None of the most coveted gear that they drop is class specific, but each of the weapons are geared towards a specific class. each of the weapons requires the talent: 'example weapon 2' to be used.

Now, there are 2 sides to this argument: If you could simply get all you wanted on one pirate without any actual fighting using said pirate, you are missing out on the experience! you should get it 'legitimately' or not at all.
The other side says: We HAVE gotten them legitimately! we have done the farming, done the grinding, and got the gear! BUT, there is a place where it could be better used. My buccaneer doesn't know what to do with the staff, and my witchdoctor just shot himself in the foot with the nova-blaster! these are great weapons, but they are just gonna sit and gather dust if they are not right for us.

I will be honest, I favor the second side. most of us players do. however, I also completely understand the view of the first argument, and I cannot claim that they also have a point. So, here is my (perhaps slightly outlandish) potential solution.

A third bank. similar to the shared bank, but with an interesting twist:to put a SINGLE item in, you have to pay the current maximum of gold in the game, 200,000 gold. to pull a SINGLE item out, you also must pay 200,000 gold. this way, you almost guarantee that each pirate does a run of the tower, as it is the most effective way to fill your pockets. I feel like this is a fair proposition, and I hope that you all consider it (Marauders and staff alike). Please, give me any and all feedback, and get your friends to acknowledge this post so that it can come to the attention of KI. I understand that you all are receiving a torrent of threads about this, and i know that any change is unlikely. Because of that, i have on final request: If there is no point to talking about it, if the current situation is Your Final Decision, i will understand and accept that. I simply ask that you tell us that there will be no change.

Yours Truly, Matthew Walker.
65, 31
OH I like your idea. It kind of got my ideas going too and I thought of your modification: Still have that "No Trade" bank but the price to remove an item is a tower run. That way no pirate will get it unearned, they have to do the work and they they "Earn" the privilege of getting a cool drop item from there.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
I really do like this idea however just thought of one thing

possibly like wizard101, once you got above lvl 80 your gold limit increased

how would that play into effect for this?

also I hope Ratbeard looks at this, I think its a fair way to get around the no trade problem

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Maybe a price based on the item? Like the Nefarious weapons might be max gold, but an outfit might be 100,000, or 75,000.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
I like the idea of gear switching being price-based; It makes a lot of sense seeing as most of the gear has level limitations set in place.

I really hope that this thread gets the attention of some staff, i remember recently that a certain singing rat said to hang on to our no-trade items. I doubt that this is anything that KI had not already thought of, but sometimes a strong enough number of players articulately going after a solution might get them to reconsider a previously vetoed solution. (is 'vetoed' a word? i have no idea. . .)

cya round the spiral!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
This may sound harsh but sometimes we have to accept reality. The items are no trade that is the way the game designers set it up and those are the rules. Sometimes rules aren't always popular and sometimes you have to accept some things you don't like. In a business sense for KI making the items sort of tradable even a little isn't..... (oh my I just had a Lord Cutler Beckett moment....never mind I'm jumping overboard now........Abandon ship!)

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 7, 2014 wrote:
This may sound harsh but sometimes we have to accept reality. The items are no trade that is the way the game designers set it up and those are the rules. Sometimes rules aren't always popular and sometimes you have to accept some things you don't like. In a business sense for KI making the items sort of tradable even a little isn't..... (oh my I just had a Lord Cutler Beckett moment....never mind I'm jumping overboard now........Abandon ship!)

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Maybe KI could somewhat use Blixet's idea, and instead of paying gold for the items that we store in the 'No-Trade Bank', we could pay with Crowns. That way we don't cut into their game progressing revenue, but we at least have a 'guaranteed way' to gain access to No-Trade items for our other classes.

We can still farm for them, use Second Chance Chests to acquire them, or place the items we can't use in the 'No-Trade Bank', where our other classes may be able to actually use them, albeit by spending some Crowns on a few pieces here and there. Unlike the Second Chance Chests where we may shell out 50,000+ Crowns and still not get the gear for the 'right pirate', a 'No-Trade/Crowns Bank' will assure that as long as one of our pirates comes across the gear, the other classes will at least have a chance of obtaining and equipping the gear we wish them to have.....without spending a small fortune (of money and time), yet still having to pay and contribute to the further development of this amazing game.

I surely wouldn't mind spending a few Crowns on a select few pieces of gear.....

OOH, I just had an idea, what if the Tower's amazing No-Trade gear followed suit of the 'optional companions' that get unlocked throughout the game. Once one pirate acquires a certain piece of No-Trade, Epic gear- it is Unlocked in the Crown shop on your current account only, with a hefty price tag of course. But as Chrissy suggested you, still have to complete the tower with the class of pirate you wish to purchase it on and thus use/equip it. So that way you would be guaranteed to progress and level your pirate, experience the Tower with all classes and still be guaranteed one-time, Crowns-purchased access to that must have piece of gear for that right class of pirate. And we wouldn't have to full with placing items into banks and such, it would all be added to the Crown shop, maybe under a new No-Trade Gear tab, and when we meet the level, storyline progression, and tower completion requirements-- we would be able to purchase the gear on whichever pirate could actually use the gear.

It kind of continues helping KI with revenue and profit, helps players under time constraints, helps players grinding it out with no luck at all and helps players experience the game & the tower in it's entirety. Maybe once a pirate successfully completes the entire tower, that pirate unlocks a 'Crown-ing Achievement' badge, that allows them access to the Epic, No-Trade gear via the Crown Shop, providing one of their other pirates has already received the desired gear from running the tower or from Second Chance Chests in the tower. Maybe it could be applied to other No-Trade epic gear from other boss/dungeon instances as well.

KI won't miss out on all of the money players would have spent on Second Chase Chests & we have a shot of not missing out on the amazing gear and/or can save some precious, real-life time and sanity in the process.

Ensign
May 16, 2011
I like the ideas above and I have a thought of my own to add to the murky depths of the discussion.

How about if once you have achieved the Pagoda Paragon badge (10 kills of Moo) for the handsome sum of 200,000 gold or a similar crown value you can purchase the "no trade" tower item from your other pirate/s?

Advancing further from that if you have the Charming badge (25 kills of Moo) you can gain access to any no trade item tower item from your other pirate/s for free (unlocks the no trade)?

It still makes us "do the time" in the tower and gives us a target to aim for. It would stop people leaving after the Nefarious 5 as well.

A solution would be appreciated soon either way as I struggle to juggle all the added items in my backpacks and banks.
For some silly reason my swashbuckler keeps getting the N5 staff (5 so far).

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
oh man Ozzie, now there is an idea i could get behind! As a reward for beating manchu enough times on each individual pirate (certainly at least 25, i think) we could get a reward to access a no-trade bank! that way, we guarantee that each pirate does their fair share of time in the tower. it also gives them plenty of opportunity to get gear that is worth trading!

I really appreciate everyone's ideas on this thread, and that some of the big'uns like chrissy and valkoor have thrown in their 2 cents as well. I don't really like the idea of having the bank based off of crowns, although it could certainly be an option. However, we still have not gotten any official response from KI. I figure that if any idea for change was automatically thrown out the window, this thread would not have gone through; but i would really love to get any response from you guys, and i am sure you have individual opinions on the matter as well.

Cya round the Spiral,
Matthew Walker, 65 32

Petty Officer
Jul 06, 2010
Since you said the reason for putting the max gold price on the bank was to ensure the pirate ran through the dungeon, perhaps it would be easier to have items in the "no-trade bank" be tied to badges instead? Say, the badge for beating the Tower 10 times lets you take items of level x or less out of the bank? That way, we would be able to trade lower level no-trade items, such as Phule's unique drops on our lower level pirates.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Blixet on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
oh man Ozzie, now there is an idea i could get behind! As a reward for beating manchu enough times on each individual pirate (certainly at least 25, i think) we could get a reward to access a no-trade bank! that way, we guarantee that each pirate does their fair share of time in the tower. it also gives them plenty of opportunity to get gear that is worth trading!

I really appreciate everyone's ideas on this thread, and that some of the big'uns like chrissy and valkoor have thrown in their 2 cents as well. I don't really like the idea of having the bank based off of crowns, although it could certainly be an option. However, we still have not gotten any official response from KI. I figure that if any idea for change was automatically thrown out the window, this thread would not have gone through; but i would really love to get any response from you guys, and i am sure you have individual opinions on the matter as well.

Cya round the Spiral,
Matthew Walker, 65 32
Actually Matthew, I'm not entirely to keen on it being based off Crowns either- but No-Trade items, Second Chance Chests, Epic Boss Gear and such are probably a big source of revenue for KI and the P101 team. I just think that to be fair to KI and to help keep money coming in and thus the game moving forward, it may be taking away a huge chunk of revenue/profit, if we just request that the best and most sought after items and gear in the tower can just be gotten with gold.....along with a lot of time and perseverance. But I really do like the idea of having access to all the No-Trade gear without having to farm endlessly on each class of pirate, for specific pieces of gear and weapons. At my rate (and many others that find it hard to get 2+ hours at a time), 25+ tower runs on 1 pirate alone, just may take a couple years to complete.

All of these ideas are great and possibly a combination or bits and pieces of all of them, just may lead to a No-Trade solution that benefits players, without also taking away from KI's revenue, thus still benefiting them as well. Perhaps, using Ozzie's idea, having to farm Moo's Tower at the badge intervals, can unlock certain tiers of gear that can be gotten and also unlock a No-Trade Bank. Or possibly can also unlock the items, gear and weapons for purchase from the Crown Shop. I already do so much moving around of items from one bank to another or to a pack, from pirate to pirate and then back again, so I would surely welcome the adding of the unlocked, No-Trade Tower gear to the Crown Shop, where all it takes is a couple clicks to obtaining the gear, providing you have the Crowns and have met storyline progression, level and tower completion requirements for that particular pirate.

I kind of feel that the 'best of the best' gear and weapons the game has to offer, has to either be gotten from grinding and perseverance or from some farming combined with being purchased with real money. Both options have their benefits to different types of players: those with time but not money to access Crowns and those with money to access Crowns but no time to farm endlessly. The purchase with Gold after 25+ runs of the Tower, still doesn't do anything to help those players that are extremely strapped to find those 2+ hours chunks of time. For some, finding 25+ of them, per pirate class, is next to impossible. Also, if you farm 25+ times with other players, there's a good chance you will come across that gear you wish to obtain, just from farming those 25 times. Not a guarantee of course, but much better odds for sure. So by the time you unlock that No-Trade bank and the items, you may have already gotten what you desire anyways.

I love all of the ideas and I am confident that a solution will be found that benefits both players and KI, especially with so much well-thought out brainstorming being done by all of the players and surely by developers as well-- as I am sure they have been brainstorming out the wazoo as well.