Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Character points

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 09, 2010
Just a quick question. Does buying the tome to get training points for your NPC's continue to go up in price indefinatly, or is there a limit? I'm lvl 34 and still don't make enough gold normally to buy 8 or 9 tomes at a time to keep my party NPC's the same lvl as my player with out buying Crowns constantly. Is this a problem for anyone else?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Randy332g on Feb 4, 2015 wrote:
Just a quick question. Does buying the tome to get training points for your NPC's continue to go up in price indefinatly, or is there a limit? I'm lvl 34 and still don't make enough gold normally to buy 8 or 9 tomes at a time to keep my party NPC's the same lvl as my player with out buying Crowns constantly. Is this a problem for anyone else?
Tome price goes up with your level, however, don't despair, there is a way to keep your companions leveled.
1. Search for training tomes. There is at least one in each area, just look around. They're sometimes hidden in dungeons, so before you finish a dungeon, do an intense search.
2. Through out the game you will recruit many companions and they will be at least one level above you; set them to Keelhaulin' at once, in 24 hours you will have a tome.
3. Set those lower levels to Brawlin' to earn their own xp or set them to Plunderin' ( gold ) or Scavengin' ( gear which can be sold or kept for use ).

Petty Officer
Dec 26, 2012
Randy332g on Feb 4, 2015 wrote:
It does continue to go up as you level, but I don't know if there is a limit to the pricing. I am lvl 54 and tomes usually cost me around 9000 gold each. Usually, I buy 2-3 when I stop by a tavern. So, ya I have the same problem.

But make sure you are doing side quests that give training points too. Thats how I'm getting most of my training tomes.

Also, it is effective if you don't use training points on companions that are a level behind you. The tomes are more affective if you wait a couple of levels
Careless Natalie Evans lvl 54

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
anecorbie on Feb 4, 2015 wrote:
Tome price goes up with your level, however, don't despair, there is a way to keep your companions leveled.
1. Search for training tomes. There is at least one in each area, just look around. They're sometimes hidden in dungeons, so before you finish a dungeon, do an intense search.
2. Through out the game you will recruit many companions and they will be at least one level above you; set them to Keelhaulin' at once, in 24 hours you will have a tome.
3. Set those lower levels to Brawlin' to earn their own xp or set them to Plunderin' ( gold ) or Scavengin' ( gear which can be sold or kept for use ).
Keel Hauling and buying Training Tomes can only be done when you have less than 10 Training Tomes and you can only get more Training Tomes this way until you reach the number 10. I don't know what happens if you have 8 Training Tomes and try to give orders for 3 Companions to go Keel Hauling. My guess is that the first 2 would go but the third one couldn't because that would put you over the 10 Training Tome cap.

What I've done is try to manage the use of my training tomes. If there is a 5 level difference, 1 Training Tome will cause a Companion to go up 2 levels. For a 9 level difference, a Training Tome will cause a Companion to go up 3 levels. During most of my questing (doing all quests), I advance the Companions I use the most when there is a 5 level difference. For my second tier of Companions, I advance them when there is a 9 level difference. The other Companions I send out Brawling (getting experience), Scavenging (getting equipment), Plundering (getting Gold), Pet Wrangling (getting Pet Gear and sometimes Food), Cannoneering (getting Nautical experience), and, if needed, Keel Hauling (getting Training Tomes). I also send out my 1st and 2nd tier Companions when I know I won't be questing with that particular Pirate.