Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

FYI My ten-year-old daughter says

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
that there aren't enough female companions, either who join on their own or who you can purchase. She would like to have like 12 females so she can expect an all female lineup during her fights.

She likes buccaneers and swashbucklers and is about half-way through Cool Ranch.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2010
That doesn't sound very feasible. Maybe in the future we'll have more feminine Companions, but do your daughter as a Cap'n really want to discriminate?
I'd simply suggest to her to keep Bonnie as a first mate for now. She alone has plenty of girl power

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
El Christo on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
That doesn't sound very feasible. Maybe in the future we'll have more feminine Companions, but do your daughter as a Cap'n really want to discriminate?
I'd simply suggest to her to keep Bonnie as a first mate for now. She alone has plenty of girl power
Well, she just turned 10 and thinks boys are a pain. Don't think it's really a descrimination situation.

Community Leader
El Christo on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
You know, I understood all the words you wrote there, but taken as a whole none of what you said makes any sense. How is wanting to see a fair gender balance over all (and an all-girl team personally) discrimination?

While I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, the message you've just sent to a 10-year-old is essentially, "Be grateful you got Bonnie Anne and get over it."

As a grown woman, I agree with the girl here. More female NPCs, please. We're over half the population in the real world, so it stands to reason that we should be more than 5 of the companion compliment in the Spiral.

Bonnie Anne
Sarah Steele
Lucy Sterling
Calamity Jane Canary
Nurse Quinn Medicine Chicken

That's all I've seen so far. And no, I don't count Nikita. A pink non-sentient doesn't cut it, thanks.

Community Leader
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
You know, I understood all the words you wrote there, but taken as a whole none of what you said makes any sense. How is wanting to see a fair gender balance over all (and an all-girl team personally) discrimination?

While I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, the message you've just sent to a 10-year-old is essentially, "Be grateful you got Bonnie Anne and get over it."

As a grown woman, I agree with the girl here. More female NPCs, please. We're over half the population in the real world, so it stands to reason that we should be more than 5 of the companion compliment in the Spiral.

Bonnie Anne
Sarah Steele
Lucy Sterling
Calamity Jane Canary
Nurse Quinn Medicine Chicken

That's all I've seen so far. And no, I don't count Nikita. A pink non-sentient doesn't cut it, thanks.
You dont see how wanting an "all girl team" is discrimination? Double standards!!!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
I am a guy and I wouldn't mind seeing more female companions.

Also, there is Mustang Sally and the Gypsy Nadya or Nadja.
However her name is spelt.

Developer
Yes! We need more!

You can add to your list:

Mustang Sally
Mustang Gypsy

Ensign
Jul 08, 2010
Community Leader
It would be neat to see a Geisha Pirate Queen from Mooshu, similar to the one who appeared in the 3rd Pirates of the Carribean movie. I always thought that was a neat idea. And speaking of female characters from PotC franchise, I have no clue why there isn't a swashbuckling bird in the game named Elizabeth Swan and a rodent Witchdoctor name Tia Dalmouse . . . this stuff writes itself!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
I would also like to see more female companions, whether they're based on historical pirates like Mary Read, or just capable women taken from the various cultures around the spiral.

Personally I think having a female armada companion would rock. While I do feel that overall both pirate101 and wizard101 do a very good job at gender inclusion, I do think they could do better.

And if it matters to those who either agree or disagree with me, I am neither ten years old nor a girl.

Ensign
Mar 23, 2011
maybe if KI adds griseleim(probably spelled that wrong) put a girl raven.

I know its cruel thet there are many girls playing pirate101 and very few girl companions.

I would like more girl companions.

level10
level14
level9
level10
level3
level4

Ensign
Aug 13, 2010
Regardless of how you interpreted my last post, I am finding the tone in your own posts entitled or demanding rather than convincing or hopeful. Again, you may have not meant it that way, but that's how this 20-year-old interpreted them. It's really the major reason I replied.

I just meant to hint that the expectation of programmers churning out enough female Companions to fit a 16-member line up is a tad unrealistic, at least within the first few months of the game. I was trying to argue quality over quantity as well; Bonnie (and to an extent, Sarah) has a really major role in the game and your crew, regardless of how 'rare' her gender is, not to mention you yourself can choose a female character as your leader.

I'm sure that over the course of the game there will be enough companions to fit your (or your daughter's) standards, but I wouldn't argue for it being a priority when there are glitches to fix and new worlds to release. The best you (or anyone) can do is drop a hint (not a demand) that the programmers keep your hopes in mind.

I hope I've been more clear without offending you again.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
Yes! We need more!

You can add to your list:

Mustang Sally
Mustang Gypsy
Right! I forgot Mustang Sally. The gypsy I haven't seen though, she's not on any of my crews as yet.

I was thinking of it last night, running the different peoples of the spiral through my head and I realized that so far, I can't recall ever seeing a female crane, duck or goose, pig, guinea pig or sheep. Goats, yes. Cows, yes. Horses and monkeys, yes. None of the bison so far have been female.

There have been no male mice however, but then, the only mice at all so far are Sarah and Lucy. Except for the real estate agent in Wizard, I can't remember seeing any female cats, but in Pirate cats are pretty rare so far.

Hmm... I know I'm missing some.

Community Leader
I just wanted to say that I think they should find a way to accomodate both genders equally.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Community Leader
El Christo on Nov 15, 2012 wrote:
Regardless of how you interpreted my last post, I am finding the tone in your own posts entitled or demanding rather than convincing or hopeful. Again, you may have not meant it that way, but that's how this 20-year-old interpreted them. It's really the major reason I replied.

I just meant to hint that the expectation of programmers churning out enough female Companions to fit a 16-member line up is a tad unrealistic, at least within the first few months of the game. I was trying to argue quality over quantity as well; Bonnie (and to an extent, Sarah) has a really major role in the game and your crew, regardless of how 'rare' her gender is, not to mention you yourself can choose a female character as your leader.

I'm sure that over the course of the game there will be enough companions to fit your (or your daughter's) standards, but I wouldn't argue for it being a priority when there are glitches to fix and new worlds to release. The best you (or anyone) can do is drop a hint (not a demand) that the programmers keep your hopes in mind.

While I assumed you might be unaware of how your original response came across, (and clearly, you weren't) I am well aware that my own response to you was quite pointed. It was deliberately so.

It's funny that you should use the terms entitled and demanding to describe me, however. Entitled is exactly how I would describe a young man who refers to wanting to see gender balance in a family game as "demanding". Do I think it was all some sexist plot? I do not. Did I shake my fist and insist on an immediate fix? I did not.

Your point seems to be that any girly additions will just have to wait until after they've fixed the glitches and released all the new worlds.

My point is that to change one thing in a game is not necessarily to ignore all the others. Adding more female NPCs (or making already existing ones available early) doesn't mean that everyone at KI has to drop what they're doing just to accomplish that one goal. And surely, you don't think they're creating this game like a cartoon train, laying out the tracks just before they roll down them, do you? They have plenty already done, I assure you.

For the record there is, according to my calculations, currently the potential for 83 companions. At level cap, I have about 20 of those and a friend has 26, both of us with room to spare. I see absolutely no logistical reason why the majority of them would be, by default, male.

Look, there will always be glitches and new worlds in need of a population, so why not balance things from the start? How is this at all unreasonable?

PS, you seem to have confused me at some point with the original poster. I never mentioned a daughter.

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
OK, I had a friend with a level 50 Privateer check this out for me, he agrees with the 83 potential companions, and points out that by his current information that includes 7 female companions, 6 animal companions and 6 undead companions.
While the animal companions gender is unknown, all of the undead companions are male.
So females represent less then 10% of the companion population, I guarantee you that females represent more then 10% of Kingsisles customer base. So it is hardly sexist or discriminatory to ask for a more equal distribution.
And while I certainly can't say for sure, I would be surprised if while this game was being made there weren't dozens of ideas for female companions.

Still not 10, and still not a girl. But still think this should be addressed.

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
El Christo on Nov 15, 2012 wrote:

I think you're confused about who is posting what. I've never been offended (not in this thread anyway )

My only response to your original post was that my daughter was 10 and just wanted some girl companions, and that I didn't think that really qualified as discrimination.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2010
Historically speaking, some of the most succesful ninja's in fuedal Japan were females in disguise as a Geisha. So a Geisha Ninja would be quite appropriate, and also fun!

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
'tis granny doesnt mind th' big strong guys around and i would like to agree wit' th' 10 yr barnacle-covered female, a few more kick hard female companions would rock th' boat jolly

Especially when i be continually complainin' 'bout th' male companions suckin' wind

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Ok, here is my thought on this.

Back then in them old days where pirating and sailing was a common thing, the majority of everything was dominated by males. That is a fact of history.

Females may eventually dominate the world in the future, but back then, that is just how it was. Why complain about it?

Ensign
Jul 08, 2010
Community Leader
Shiningfantasia on Nov 17, 2012 wrote:
Ok, here is my thought on this.

Back then in them old days where pirating and sailing was a common thing, the majority of everything was dominated by males. That is a fact of history.

Females may eventually dominate the world in the future, but back then, that is just how it was. Why complain about it?
Because the Spiral isn't an historical recreation and this isn't the 18th century.

If those things were the case, (and this game existed) then not only would all the characters in the game male, but all the players would be as well. And this isn't a question of who "dominates". No one is talking about replacing most of the male NPCs with femlae NPCs. It's about giving everyone a chance to see themselves reflected in their game world with something close to the same frequency as they see in real life.

Regardless of the fictionalized time the game is set in, we, the players, live now. Our fantasy worlds should reflect not only the best of who we are, but who we aspire to be.

Community Leader
Magistermundisum on Nov 17, 2012 wrote:
Is the Cat Ninja male or female?
I've never seen the cat ninja in the game, but if the picture of Shiruku Neko is anything to go by, she looks female.

Ensign
Nov 21, 2010
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 18, 2012 wrote:
I've never seen the cat ninja in the game, but if the picture of Shiruku Neko is anything to go by, she looks female.
Female, it looks and screams like a girl lol

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
While piracy may have been male dominated for various reasons, here is a list of historical female pirates from around the world, that took me about 3 seconds to find on wikipedia:

A few excerpts from that list include
Ch’iao K’uo Füü Jëën a chinese pirate from the sixth century BC

Princess Sela a 5th century viking pirate

Æthelflæd aka The Lady of the Mercians A 9th century anglo-saxon lady who took over miltary command after her fathers death and led her fleets to clear the viking raiders from the seas around britain.

Jeanne-Louise de Belleville A 14th century French woman who became a pirate to avenge the execution of her husband. Attacked only French vessels.

The Red LadyOne of the most cunning pirates of the sixteenth century who never revealed her identity.

Sayyida al-Hurra ibn Banu Rashid al-Mandri al-Wattasi Hakima Tatwan, A 16th century Moroccan pirate and queen who controlled half of the Mediterranean Sea

Jacquotte DelahayeAlso known as "Back from the Dead Red" due to her red hair and return to piracy after faking her own death and hiding dressed as a man for several years.

Charlotte Badger Widely considered to be the first Australian female pirate.

Sadie the GoatOK, here the name just says it all.

I could have made that list a lot longer, the overall list has close to 50 historical and 30 or so fictional pirate women
So male dominated or not there are enough historical women in piracy to fill our crews to the breaking point.