Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How would you design Pirate101 PvP play?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
I would have everyone start out in ships in a small lake, big enough to move about in but too small to run very far away from those trying to sink you. I would allow team play and just keep play as normal as possible. The opposing team would however have a team emblem on their sails to let everyone know they are the opposing side. When a ship is boarded the ship that is the most damaged would go last. The side that goes first would choose their actions and then their turn would play. After their turn, the side that goes last would then choose their actions, and so on. Its a bit slow but I think it is what needs to be done. I like the idea that ship attacks add traps to the boats making things more interesting and different each time. Its also nice to be able to see and be on each other's ships. In team play, players don't have to board, it would be the same as in regular play. If players would rather not board and continue fighting ships that haven't joined the fight yet they could do that until only one side remains as victor. When it comes to companions, I think players should get to choose 3 companions they want to play with. On ship fights, the opposing team should have some sort of mark so players know who is on whose side. I think this would be fun and a simple way to do PvP.

Ensign
May 07, 2011
Glad you asked. I would make a pvp for fighting with companions and without them and set it to a 4 player maximum. In the players only, we could team up to make our own crew or just have a one on one challenge. In the companion format, we'd be able to choose who we take into battle. Next, we would each start out in our ships in a place where you're always in range of fire but the distance can be long or short, oh, and each person can decide whether to be in a ship or not. Next up, we'd battle it out until someone boards. After that, we go into a fight against each other as if it were a fight like in the normal skyways. After the fight is over, in ranked pvp, the winner gets to open the chests that the losers drop and each chest gives 1,000 gold. (no, the losers will not drop their actual gold)

Community Leader
Another way they could do multiplayer PVP, given the model seasnake described, is to still only have two ships fighting, but the additional team members are on the deck of your ship, running around getting rid of the tokens before you're boarded. Maybe they could up the amount of tokens dropped in PVP to make this more of a challenge as well as adding other nodes to interact with that could boost the powers of the ship (i.e. click on the rigging to give the ship an avoidance boost, click on the cannons to boost attack power, etc.) Ideally, there would be many different avenues for PVP play with multiple ship combat, large scale battlefields for just hand to hand combat, and then hybrids like the one described here to keep it interesting. Tough to balance, but more interesting in the end!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
May 10, 2010
I think talkin the plank is right, probably with 1 person getting their ship and the team mates on the ship putting out fires and other tokens. That would also keep from having puppet teams, as you could get the lower levels ship against a high level ship and be destroyed before ever getting into combat.

What I dont want to see, are the classes, companions, and pets getting nerfed for PVP sake. If anything, beef up Privateers and Buccaneers a bit to be equal to the other classes.

I am sure that no matter what happens, KI will not make the same mistakes here as they did in Wizard101 PvP, or atleast, I hope they wont!

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
I thought different lakes could be created and used for the different worlds and there could be fast and slow currents, oil slicks, typhoons, whirlwinds, and other interesting elements to each world PvP lake that would make ship maneuvering while fighting interesting. There could be an island that pirates could land their ships at to wait for the opposition to simply enter hand to hand combat. Those who would enjoy ship to ship combat could remain on their ships, those who prefer land combat would need to first land. To enter PvP you would be asked to select your ship and your crew regardless if its 1v1 or much larger. If you don't have a ship you can't PvP. There could be an abandon ship, join ship button. This would allow players who are losing their ship or who don't want to control their own ship to give up their ship and join onboard their teammate ships allowing traps and obstacles to be removed. There should also be a mutual draw and a forfit button.

Ensign
May 07, 2011
Talkin The Plank on Nov 30, 2012 wrote:
Another way they could do multiplayer PVP, given the model seasnake described, is to still only have two ships fighting, but the additional team members are on the deck of your ship, running around getting rid of the tokens before you're boarded. Maybe they could up the amount of tokens dropped in PVP to make this more of a challenge as well as adding other nodes to interact with that could boost the powers of the ship (i.e. click on the rigging to give the ship an avoidance boost, click on the cannons to boost attack power, etc.) Ideally, there would be many different avenues for PVP play with multiple ship combat, large scale battlefields for just hand to hand combat, and then hybrids like the one described here to keep it interesting. Tough to balance, but more interesting in the end!
I've actually thought abou this idea, but then there would be disputes over who is the captain, so I decided to not use that idea. I still think it could be a good idea though.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
forceofdeath on Dec 2, 2012 wrote:
I've actually thought abou this idea, but then there would be disputes over who is the captain, so I decided to not use that idea. I still think it could be a good idea though.
I think that captains would either be automatically the highest level on the team, or randomly chosen, which I feel would be soooo much better, since that would eliminate any puppet teams, since you could essencially get on a raft. lol

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
I think if instead of using just two ship decks when ships come together if multiple ship decks were instead used it would create a lot of playing space and a really neat playing board. Imagine 4 to 6 ships all strung together and everyone starting out on their own decks. Even if ship combat were left out (which I sincerely hope it isn't), stringing everyone's ship together would be a great way to make a PvP board while spacing everyone out.

Community Leader
seasnake on Dec 1, 2012 wrote:
I thought different lakes could be created and used for the different worlds and there could be fast and slow currents, oil slicks, typhoons, whirlwinds, and other interesting elements to each world PvP lake that would make ship maneuvering while fighting interesting. There could be an island that pirates could land their ships at to wait for the opposition to simply enter hand to hand combat. Those who would enjoy ship to ship combat could remain on their ships, those who prefer land combat would need to first land. To enter PvP you would be asked to select your ship and your crew regardless if its 1v1 or much larger. If you don't have a ship you can't PvP. There could be an abandon ship, join ship button. This would allow players who are losing their ship or who don't want to control their own ship to give up their ship and join onboard their teammate ships allowing traps and obstacles to be removed. There should also be a mutual draw and a forfit button.
So instead of arena fighting, a free-for-all. I really kind of like that idea, as it feels very piratey to me. I especially like the idea of environmental hazards. Strategically lighting lantern oil slicks on fire would be fun!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
sea monsters could also be added, lol watch where you stear your ship when battling others

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
It would be okay and more strategic if ships could move out of firing range, but ships wouldn't be allowed to be X'ed out when they are moved away from like what happens in the game. The lake would still have to be small enough to be able to see everyone.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
there could also be a free for all pvp area which anyone could join at any time and you would get ranked based upon opponents defeated minus times you are defeated... your player level would have to meet joining criteria for the pvp area... ie. there would be a level 1 to 10 area 11 to 20 area and so on. The upshot to this is that all you would have to do is press a join free for all pvp button to enter the map. The map could be huge and you could just spend all day moving around on it looking to see if you can find anyone to sink.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
a free for all pvp area would be fun... no pvp waiting, no puppet teams, taking in and zooming around upon a half damaged raft to quickly board royal navy and bison ships would be a blast, would still need random stuff like sea monsters and hazardous weather and other stuff to make things more interesting, such a place could serve as a testing area just by popping in new creatures and stuff/obstacles to see how they play, could get points based upon the level of opponent you are up against (defeating a level 50 would be 5 points, 40's 4 points, etc., but you points based upon your level so if you are a level 50 you always lose 5 points whenever you get defeated), leader boards could be made and reset every month (some players really like leader boards and trying to get to the top of them)... you could still have arena team matches, but it would be a different PvP ratings system than free for all PvP