Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Barnabus: Sleeping Beauty

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
Barnabus has been my least favorite character from the moment I had gotten him. He is weak, dies easily, and overall, I cannot stand his character on whole.
He is mostly useless to me, so I put him to sleep in my companion list and he has yet to be woken up.

I would like to see Barnabus be a little more useful. Maybe it is just me, imagining he is weak, or I am doing something wrong, but what do you guys think?

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
Well I can't say that he is my Buccaneer's FAVORITE companion, but I have never put him to sleep either. In fact, he resides in the 3rd row of my companions first page.

Of course, he has been moved up (he was further down) since he's had his 2nd & 3rd promotions. Being able to increase his stats & pick new Epics for him makes him a tremendously better companion than what he was early on. I do still prefer my Eagle Hoplite, El Toro, Zeena & others for my level 65 Buccaneer. But there are definitely some companions who are less adept & useful than Barnabus.

Companions are so very versatile because they aren't cookie cutter types shaped from the same mold for every pirate. Every Buccaneer is going to choose to train Barnabus in a way that suits their own individual play style. This goes for his Epic abilities as well as his Talent Stats.

You say yours is weak & dies easily. If yours isn't meshing with your Buccaneer's style, then you might rethink restting him & trying out different combinations that DO/WILL work for you. Might I suggest (if you haven't already) that you train in as much Dodge & Armor (to avoid getting hit & able to absorb more hits) as you can. This might help to keep him from dying so easily. If you think he is weak, then train in all the Rough (damage points) & Accuracy (to make sure he hits) that you can. This can ensure that he hits his target with as much damage as he can muster. Also perhaps you may want to increase his health with the Tough if you fear him dying easily.

So if you don't train his Accuracy up then you might want to consider at least getting Second Chance as his Epic. I like for my companions to be able to hit back so I definitely went with Vengeance Strike x2 on mine.

Wake Sleeping Beauty up and give him another chance. I'm sure you'll be surprised with him once you've got him promoted & trained exactly the way you want him to be :)

~SM~

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
SorceressMiklai on Jul 17, 2013 wrote:
Well I can't say that he is my Buccaneer's FAVORITE companion, but I have never put him to sleep either. In fact, he resides in the 3rd row of my companions first page.

Of course, he has been moved up (he was further down) since he's had his 2nd & 3rd promotions. Being able to increase his stats & pick new Epics for him makes him a tremendously better companion than what he was early on. I do still prefer my Eagle Hoplite, El Toro, Zeena & others for my level 65 Buccaneer. But there are definitely some companions who are less adept & useful than Barnabus.

Companions are so very versatile because they aren't cookie cutter types shaped from the same mold for every pirate. Every Buccaneer is going to choose to train Barnabus in a way that suits their own individual play style. This goes for his Epic abilities as well as his Talent Stats.

You say yours is weak & dies easily. If yours isn't meshing with your Buccaneer's style, then you might rethink restting him & trying out different combinations that DO/WILL work for you. Might I suggest (if you haven't already) that you train in as much Dodge & Armor (to avoid getting hit & able to absorb more hits) as you can. This might help to keep him from dying so easily. If you think he is weak, then train in all the Rough (damage points) & Accuracy (to make sure he hits) that you can. This can ensure that he hits his target with as much damage as he can muster. Also perhaps you may want to increase his health with the Tough if you fear him dying easily.

So if you don't train his Accuracy up then you might want to consider at least getting Second Chance as his Epic. I like for my companions to be able to hit back so I definitely went with Vengeance Strike x2 on mine.

Wake Sleeping Beauty up and give him another chance. I'm sure you'll be surprised with him once you've got him promoted & trained exactly the way you want him to be :)

~SM~
Wow Mikiai, I have been reading your posts this morning and you are expressing your thoughts as brilliantly as ever. Very well said and totally thought out. So much helpful information and so many creative suggestions. You are sharing such a wealth of knowledge in such a clearly explained way that all I can do is bow to this caring Sensei and strive to be as helpful to our fellow posters and readers. Keep up the good work, your gifts are sincerely appreciated. x Bows respectfully and offers a cold tankard of Yum-n-ade and a variety tray of Emma's best.