Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Well this is unfair:(!

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Mar 15, 2013
Really! The doubloons are out of hand, they've taken the whole pvp section and turned it into a unfair mess. I have them but still! 800 health a turn really? They shouldn't be aloud in pvp. Its just unfair I can deal with nausica but really? PvP is a mess... Like really. A guy spammed no not one no not two About Seven Aquila summons on me!! And for that I lost. Doubloons were a ok idea, For PvE but pvp just no.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Pickletastik on May 30, 2014 wrote:
Really! The doubloons are out of hand, they've taken the whole pvp section and turned it into a unfair mess. I have them but still! 800 health a turn really? They shouldn't be aloud in pvp. Its just unfair I can deal with nausica but really? PvP is a mess... Like really. A guy spammed no not one no not two About Seven Aquila summons on me!! And for that I lost. Doubloons were a ok idea, For PvE but pvp just no.
Sounds like you need to do some chest farming. If you want the good gear or perks ya gotta get out there and get it instead of complain that others have what you don't. It's not unfair, you CAN do something to change things. "Just Do It".

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
I agree totally. Doubloons are based completely on luck if you recieve them or good ones. There is almost no strategy involved, so whenver i pvp somebody i make a rule, No Doubloons allowed. If they don't comply, i just wont PvP them.
In Pirate101 Central's Tournaments and Ladders (which i pvp heavily in) they're not allowed, so if you want more fair matches with no doubloons you can PvP with other people for Prizes (sometimes) on those sites instead of just in the brawling hall.

Developer
Why not just agree before the match whether or not Doubloons are allowed?

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on May 30, 2014 wrote:
I agree totally. Doubloons are based completely on luck if you recieve them or good ones. There is almost no strategy involved, so whenver i pvp somebody i make a rule, No Doubloons allowed. If they don't comply, i just wont PvP them.
In Pirate101 Central's Tournaments and Ladders (which i pvp heavily in) they're not allowed, so if you want more fair matches with no doubloons you can PvP with other people for Prizes (sometimes) on those sites instead of just in the brawling hall.
Untrue. Central hasn't made any rule banning Doubloons so they are fair game in the tournaments and ladders. I've talked to Alex Deathflame in-game a bit and he said they will ban Doubloons (or most I believe).

Technically, until this is made official anyone is allowed to use Doubloons in Central PvP.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Ratbeard on May 30, 2014 wrote:
That's the problem, your asking us to rely on the kindness of strangers over the internet, there are some people who will agree but then there are those who say they agree but lie and use a doubloon, and then there are those who flat out refuse to cooperate, DOUBLOONS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I see doubloons as the equivilant to treasure cards in Wiz101. I think it is neither fair or unfair to use them. True, no strategy is involved if you just swamp the other side with them. But if you had them, would you use them? I wouldn't because they're a precious resource to me, why waste them where there is nothing at stake?

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
The thing with doubloons is that it truly is optional. You are not forced to used them and neither is your opponent. But compare that to a situation like this:

You and I are having a sword fight. I have 2 swords, but I do not have to use both. You have 2 swords, but you do not have to use both. But wouldn't it be logical to gain an upper hand by using both swords?

The same applies for doubloons. They help you gain an upper advantage. However:

In the same sword fight scenario. I put the effort to work and earn money to buy a second sword. You did not put any effort in trying to bring a second sword.

Now you're the one at a disadvantage, simply because you did not put the effort to gain an advantage.

Note: These examples are not directed to any one in particular.

Simply put: Don't want to get doubloons? Don't complain if others do put the effort to get them. You have just as much of an opportunity to get the doubloons that your enemy has. I don't see any unfairness in putting effort to gain a smart advantage in a PVP match.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Gruesome Richard on Jun 2, 2014 wrote:
The thing with doubloons is that it truly is optional. You are not forced to used them and neither is your opponent. But compare that to a situation like this:

You and I are having a sword fight. I have 2 swords, but I do not have to use both. You have 2 swords, but you do not have to use both. But wouldn't it be logical to gain an upper hand by using both swords?

The same applies for doubloons. They help you gain an upper advantage. However:

In the same sword fight scenario. I put the effort to work and earn money to buy a second sword. You did not put any effort in trying to bring a second sword.

Now you're the one at a disadvantage, simply because you did not put the effort to gain an advantage.

Note: These examples are not directed to any one in particular.

Simply put: Don't want to get doubloons? Don't complain if others do put the effort to get them. You have just as much of an opportunity to get the doubloons that your enemy has. I don't see any unfairness in putting effort to gain a smart advantage in a PVP match.
What if someone cant afford the membership NEEDED for good doubloons

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 3, 2014 wrote:
Membership has nothing to do with doubloons. It has everything to do with friends helping each other get doubloons from chests. I'm a free to pla - er, buying areas as I need them and the only trouble I have in getting doubloons is that my friends are often not on line when I am.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Lucas Walker on May 31, 2014 wrote:
Untrue. Central hasn't made any rule banning Doubloons so they are fair game in the tournaments and ladders. I've talked to Alex Deathflame in-game a bit and he said they will ban Doubloons (or most I believe).

Technically, until this is made official anyone is allowed to use Doubloons in Central PvP.
Actually, it is quite true. I also asked alex deathflame and he said he would ban doubloons in both ladder and tournaments pvp. And in my recent matches with Quentin, we've both agreed not to use doubloons.
Anyway, we get the point already, stop bursting my bubble, lol.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
zuto4011a on Jun 3, 2014 wrote:
Like I said, it is all completely optional. Nobody is forcing you to do PVP. Nobody is forcing you to buy a membership. Everyone has the equal opportunity to get these doubloons. However, that does not mean everyone is always able to get these doubloons. If you cannot get these doubloons, then that's something you'll have to deal with in PVP. They won't take one aspect of PVP simply because those without membership cannot get these doubloons. It is, as mentioned, completely optional to PVP.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
I haven't looked at doubloons too much but after seeing this I did. Congratz KI, you just developed a way for a good chunk of players to be at least a little frustrated to something in pvp like w101. Really. You're making more folks angry than you are happy. Now yes yes I know about the: oh well if they annoy you so much why don't you use them and do the 'effort' to get them too? Here's the thing: it's a skill denier. And ... quite expensive if frequent. It just doesn't fit guys... Now don't get me wrong hey it's a nice advantage, but uh... a majority of folks LIKE having skill matches, not who has more money matches.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
DuncanRoland The E... on Jun 6, 2014 wrote:
I haven't looked at doubloons too much but after seeing this I did. Congratz KI, you just developed a way for a good chunk of players to be at least a little frustrated to something in pvp like w101. Really. You're making more folks angry than you are happy. Now yes yes I know about the: oh well if they annoy you so much why don't you use them and do the 'effort' to get them too? Here's the thing: it's a skill denier. And ... quite expensive if frequent. It just doesn't fit guys... Now don't get me wrong hey it's a nice advantage, but uh... a majority of folks LIKE having skill matches, not who has more money matches.
It's not a "who has more money" match. Nobody is throwing $20 bills at KI to give them a win. Doubloons are a skill, they provide anyone with an advantage, just like how your gear gives you an advantage. Whether they have better doubloons, or whether you have the SI doubloons, that is all things people will have to face in PVP.

Doubloons act exactly like treasure cards in Wizard101. I don't see anyone complaining about those. Treasure cards pretty much allow you to cast about any spell you choose, so long as you can find that treasure card. That's pretty much what doubloons are designed for too: To give the user an advantage. Plus, most of the buffs only last 1-2 rounds.

And please try to remember: This is not ranked PVP. This is PRACTICE PVP. There isn't really anything that you need to work yourself up about. If you dislike the doubloons use in PVP, then make regulation matches which prevent the use of doubloons. I think Central can organize matches like that. When Ranked PVP comes in, then I can see a reason to argue against doubloons, but right now, if you don't like the doubloon system, don't enter the PVP arena, because I doubt the majority of players in there will not use doubloons. As mentioned before, PVP ATM is completely optional, it's not forced. I know you may not have membership and may have nothing else to do, but that shouldn't ruin the chance for PVP'ers to use their doubloons and make matches a lot more interesting, instead of "one-sided".

Ensign
Dec 22, 2012
I do agree, PvP suppose to test the players skill in combat and strategy but Doubloons just messes it up. For most of the people who can't get to the doubloons feel that it is unfair. For people who CAN get it, they have the advantage and keep spamming Aquilan doubloons and so on. Unless KI wants to change the whole standard of Pvp, I propose this: Limit the amount of doubloons in a PvP match. It might be able to help most people.

Ensign
Feb 08, 2013
Aye, I agree. But it's also annoying when I'm about to do an AOE and one of my allies blows my targets away... literally.

Dark William Atherton level 15 Witchdoctor

Ensign
May 28, 2014
Think you should make the pvp pick a random opponent that is the closes to your lvl so a lvl 65 doesn't have to battle a 25. I like the same red team blue team thing but make more of them to stand at so your not waiting the whole time.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
I disagree. It's a crazy world out there...embrace it. I think it adds an exciting new element to pvp. Doubloons are available to all. You should be happy that they can't be purchased at the Bazaar like Treasure Cards in W101. You'd really go bonkers if that were the case. In W101 you make the rule before you start a pvp match...can the combatants use Treasure Cards or not? Do the same in P101. It won't be long before the locations for Doubloons are easily researched and everyone will be able to go get them with a little effort. It's just like farming for gear. If you want it...go get it.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
DuncanRoland The E... on Jun 6, 2014 wrote:
Then get together with other purists and have your skill matches but don't require everyone to adhere to your likes and dislikes. It's just like auto racing. You have classes where you can use certain modifications and some where you can't. Look at Doubloons as Unlimited Class pvp. I love this game and I think KI has done an outstanding job of providing 'free to play' content, but it's a pay as you go life we live. Almost anywhere you go and anything you do...you can make it better by paying. Want to ski better? Buy better skis. Want to golf better? Buy better clubs. Want to pvp better...well, I think you get the point. There is nothing stopping you and others with the same views from getting together and holding your own pvp tournaments where Doubloons aren't allowed. I love my P101 bling and all the extras that can be purchased. It's what keeps me and many others like me playing...and paying...this game.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2014
Ratbeard on May 30, 2014 wrote:
what happens when ranked comes out i'm positive loads of people will agree when they just want the items/rank also i thought you would be balancing pvp not making it so pvp has a top dog with next to no equal *cough* swashbucklers *cough*

Ensign
May 06, 2012
I do agree, doubloons make PVP a bit more challenging... so go get some doubloons. I can't help but spam them. However, once ranked comes out, doubloons may become a problem for people trying to show their true "skill."

Ian Milford, shooting down evil since ancient times

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I wouldn't say it's unfair, they have the right to use doubloons if they like, just like you do. They've earned those doubloons by co-operating with other players, let them waste their doubloons on a practice match... XD

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
If there is a need for doubloons or no doubloons and it is currently required for a fan site to host such events, I'm here wondering why so many feel that a fan site does a better job than the official company? Shouldn't it be the case that official pvp should be the place to go? Why doesn't KI make the brawling hall have the doubloon or no doubloon option. It could be selected on a screen like the enter alone or team up option for the dungeons.

Personally I think pvp should be banned entirely for all the animosity and mess it causes but what do I know I'm delirious with a fever.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
I have many great doubloons and I completely agree that they should not be allowed. People on this thread are going on about how you should try to do anything to win and to use your doubloons and to ask before the fight to not use doubloons and all that stuff. I love doubloons in PvE but in PvP they make things worse. I view them as a cheat. I know both teams can use them but they still seem like cheating. PvP is/should be about skill. It shouldn't be about doubloons. It's also not right to compare doubloons to treasure cards in Wizard101. Treasure Cards are enhanced spells that already exist regularly. Doubloons are completely different. They are mini cheats to make fighting easier. I used the word cheats but it's more like something else. I can't think of the word for it though. In PvP doubloons become cheats. I have about 15 lvl 65 death ally doubloons and a handful of other minions and health tokens and will, accuracy buffs but I think it's unfair to use them. Besides, you shouldn't be wasting doubloons in PvP anyway. Save them for regular fighting.

Developer
DuranteRamses87 on Nov 10, 2014 wrote:
If there is a need for doubloons or no doubloons and it is currently required for a fan site to host such events, I'm here wondering why so many feel that a fan site does a better job than the official company? Shouldn't it be the case that official pvp should be the place to go? Why doesn't KI make the brawling hall have the doubloon or no doubloon option. It could be selected on a screen like the enter alone or team up option for the dungeons.

Personally I think pvp should be banned entirely for all the animosity and mess it causes but what do I know I'm delirious with a fever.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Personally I think pvp should be banned entirely for all the animosity and mess it causes.

The PVP halls are clearly marked with a big sign over the door. You can effectively ban yourself by simply not going through those doors.