Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Best class debate

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
fox7867 on Jun 1, 2013 wrote:
I think swash bucklers are the best because:

1.The class trainer is really cool and not weird like Vadima.

2. We can turn invisable and incres our attack power!

3. we can make enimies bleed and get poisened.

They just sooooo cool!!!!!

Quick Julia Xaiver level 22 swashbuckler
Well the students of the "weird Vadima" can literally suck the life out of their opponents then give the life to themselves. We can make swords appear out of thin air. We can summon skeletons to help us. We can attack from really far away. Still, I don't believe there is a best school.

Rachel - Level 38
P.S. means Swashbuckler, means Witchdoctor

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
RachelTheWitchdoct... on Aug 3, 2013 wrote:
Well the students of the "weird Vadima" can literally suck the life out of their opponents then give the life to themselves. We can make swords appear out of thin air. We can summon skeletons to help us. We can attack from really far away. Still, I don't believe there is a best school.

Rachel - Level 38
P.S. means Swashbuckler, means Witchdoctor
As a witchdoctor, I would really say witchdoctor is not a very good class, and yes, we can suck the life out of our opponenets, and give a small, useless amount to ourselves, the skeleton is really simply a useless meat shield, and I haven't got to the swords part - I am only level 15. The attacks always fizzle and when they hit, they don't deal much damage. Hopefully leveling up will make witchdoctor a better class.

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
I must agree there is no 'best' class, but there are certainly 'favorite' classes. That might have been a better way to phrase the question. That said...

Swashbuckler is my favorite.! Group attacks, nifty graphics (go KI animation team!!!), cool stuff to do, Mustang Sally as a companion. But all classes are way cool.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
GgorgeTehMagicalPi... on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
As a witchdoctor, I would really say witchdoctor is not a very good class, and yes, we can suck the life out of our opponenets, and give a small, useless amount to ourselves, the skeleton is really simply a useless meat shield, and I haven't got to the swords part - I am only level 15. The attacks always fizzle and when they hit, they don't deal much damage. Hopefully leveling up will make witchdoctor a better class.
Still keeping in mind that I don't believe there is a "best" class, I find it more effective to use swords even though staffs are the witchdoctor weapon, They deal more damage and can never fizzle (they just get blocked or dodged). And I'm not talking about the sword attack (called Mojo Blade and Mojo Reaver) I'm talking about using swords as a weapon. And you'll find that the skeletons are actually quite helpful when you only have half of your health left, all of your companions have been defeated and you're fighting an enemy with full health. The skeleton takes the damage off of you and slowly chips away at the enemy's health. And, the Jobu attacks (the ones that suck the life) are quite useful when you're about to die and it will only take two more rounds to kill your enemy.

Rachel - Level 47

Ensign
May 05, 2012
I see thiss all the time as I play the game. Witchdocs fizzle quite often when attacking with a staff or wand. I thinkthe fizzle includes blocked and dodged attempts but it still makes no sense at all to me. No offense intended, but my main character is a witchdoc at level 22 or so and questing in Cool Ranch.

With that being said, I never ever ever use my weapon at all. We have so many guarenteed hits that the fights are over long before I'm out of cards. This includes discarding spells that wont benefit my current fight. I keep my companions about 3 levels below mein general. I also trained privateer so I find that I can usually spend the last turn of a battle healing myself so I dont have to get fruit between battles, and just let my companions finish up.

Not all fights are like this of course, but I still dont use my weapon...even when I get Mormo AND Scratch as comps and I know its going to be one long fizzle party while I buff and heal my first mate and kill mobs when I can.

I think a witchdoc with heals may be the easiest class to solo with in PVE, although my privateer is ridiculously easy so far, but hes only in Monquista.

I know it gets a lot more challenging, but I still dont seeusing my weapon as a solution, except maybe in rare cases.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
RachelTheWitchdoct... on Aug 18, 2013 wrote:
Still keeping in mind that I don't believe there is a "best" class, I find it more effective to use swords even though staffs are the witchdoctor weapon, They deal more damage and can never fizzle (they just get blocked or dodged). And I'm not talking about the sword attack (called Mojo Blade and Mojo Reaver) I'm talking about using swords as a weapon. And you'll find that the skeletons are actually quite helpful when you only have half of your health left, all of your companions have been defeated and you're fighting an enemy with full health. The skeleton takes the damage off of you and slowly chips away at the enemy's health. And, the Jobu attacks (the ones that suck the life) are quite useful when you're about to die and it will only take two more rounds to kill your enemy.

Rachel - Level 47
Yeah, I read he official changelog about the AoE fizzle thing, my skeleton is basically a meat shield who steals my kills XD, but I recently got the Mojo Strike, and I must say, it rocks. Also, I only have the first of the Jabu attacks, so each of my attacks steal ~50 hp an attack. But leveling up Witchdoctor is making it better. What I realized Witchdoctor is meant to do in combat is to hang back and soften up the enemies with spells like Soul Reaver and Ghostwail, and let your companions/teammates dish out he real damage and tank the hits.

Ensign
Mar 22, 2011
I have to say I love my witchdoctor. I almost never attack with the staff, but rather use the line of sight spells. I mostly sit far away and have killed a couple of enemies before they can even close to range, especially since Annie is my first mate and she ends up doubletapping and overwatching the much weakened enemies as they come. I've won battles where the enemies never even get a hit, which is always fun.

Ensign
Aug 02, 2013
Haha, it appears the swashbucklers are winning this vote. Keep it up, guys!

I also invest my vote with swashbucklers. First, they can have multiple powers that allow for you to be hidden, thus resulting in you not being hit unless there is nobody else for enemies to attack AND will double the next regular attack you use (No epics will work with this). On top of that, we can poison multiple enemies at once or even attack multiple enemies at once. I am a level 24 swashbuckler and find that the power that attacks multiple enemies at once will deal decent damage and normally adds up to 90 damage to each enemy. However, upon an epic hit, I dealt around 250-300 to each of them. As a swashbuckler, I really have not found any problems with Cool Ranch but my non-swash friends have failed some of the simplest battles of it multiple times and needed my help. Personally, I believe swashbucklers are the best class, but every class has it's own good part. Swashbucklers can poison, attack multiple enemies, do extreme amounts of damage, and make enemies bleed, but have low health. Privateers can heal, have high health, but do less damage. Witchdoctors get many great powers and average health, but can fizzle or enemies have witch hunter. Musketeers can use traps against enemies, but deal low damage. Buccaneers are like the tanks of all classes, thus dealing steady damage with high health, and can use heavy armor and biggy choppy weapons, and are a good place to start for new players. Personally, here is my list from favorite to least favorite.

Hope none of you took offense from this, haha. Yarr pirates, enjoy the game and keep piratin'!

-Brave Griffin Nightingale, Level 24

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2012
Ensign
Oct 26, 2012
If I had to choose the best out of the 5 classes, I'd definitely say the Musketeers win it.

There are only a few reasons, but I think they're good ones.

1. Can lay all sorts of traps and fire from very far away to damage enemies without even moving.
2. The traps hit HARD.
3. Once you're experienced, it's easy to predict what paths the enemies are likely to follow on their way to smack you. This makes placing traps much more effective.
4. After Louis Le Bisque's last promotion, you can lay down two minefields in the first turn, which absolutely devastates enemies.
5. Player s have a higher range than enemy s, making sniping easier. We don't have to worry so much about getting shot at.
6. A team of companions with Overwatch and a landmine field is brutal.
7. powers don't activate enemy powers such as True Grit, Quick Draw, or Return Fire. (Or any or powers, for that matter.)
8. Even though have slightly lower damage than and , we have more than and , and we can deal it from very far away to multiple enemies. Every time.
9. We also have more health than and , even though we have less than and .
10. (and all classes, actually) have clothing options to allow for boosted damage and health. We can even get a few hats that let us poison our enemies, rings that allow us to turn invisible, (and my favorite) rings that allow us to use Mojo Blade, a attack that lets us break down and very very easily.
11. balance damage and health, but more than make up for lost power and toughness by using range and strategic placing of traps and companions.

**Note that my obviously biased opinion is based on the fact that I haven't actually played through the game with every class. I'm working on it, and I might change my mind after I play a and a , since others seem to think highly of them. :) My current work in progress is a . So far, I'm LOVING it.

Bloody Kevin, lv 64

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
There is no best class. They are good in their own ways, and one doesn't overpower the other. People would just choose their class as the best. I could go on for hours, but i want to play Pirate101 now.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
jinka45 on May 23, 2013 wrote:
i ma lvl 50 swashy
i believe swashbuckers are the best
reasons?
they are very deadly with a blade and have many criticals than any other classes
they can poison their enemies
they can bleed enemies
they get the best and most number of companions after privateers
we get a lot of attacks and talents
we are very dodgy than others
we have first strike and riposte which no one can posses ( except that witch doctors can provide haste )
we can stay hidden for a number of rounds and that way we can multiply our damage into two
we also have certain spells that increase our criticals ( and believe me it works ninety nine percent )
swhshbucklers rule
We privateers are of the top league!
1: We get all kinds of buffs.
2: More likely to get a group. Everyone needs healing!
3: Have both Strength melee attacks and Will ranged attacks.
BUT, anyone can use their practice points for anything. So you can have a swash/musketeer. (Would probably rock since both use agility, just like my privateer/witchdoctor (Who is also a former death wizard in roleplays)

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Due to class versatility.

Due to summoning armies and ranged attack.

Due to capability to kick some hide from a safe distance.

Due to high damage and dodge rates.

Due to incapability to defend from high amounts physical and magical damage.

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
JacobTHEPirate1243 on Jan 22, 2013 wrote:
I highly disagree! Buccaneers are much more tough and more criticals and they get Kobe too

Jacob Underwood lvl50 buccaneer
Dude/girl, just so you know Ratbeard said that every class, every mob, everything has the same chance of a critical hit(level does not matter). The only way to get your critical higher is to be a swashbuckler or privateer. Also the best class with the best critical would have to be privateer because unlike swashbucklers they get 2 critical skills and they go to ALL allies. Buccaneers do not get any critical skills that I am aware of. Correct me if I am wrong, I just started a month ago(almost). Sorry for any grammar mistakes!

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
Burly Bart Bellamy on Aug 1, 2013 wrote:
Privateers do NOT! do massive damage We have the least damage of all the classes!! Wheres the hecks did ya here that
Idk about that, I seen a whole lot of Privateers do more than my Witchdoctor. They can get the Swashbuckler's 3x + bleeding thing(3 or 4 of them I believe). The highest I seen a Privateer do so far was 2461 damage, most of them do about 1400-1700.

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
Coldroplay on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
My friend is a level 17 in cool ranch and he does massive damage. from 60 to 100.

He is:
Practical Victor Quinn
Level: 17
That's not that much damage, for that level my swashbuckler does about 160-200, Witchdoctor about 50-70. Also I would like to ask you, is your friend you?

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
GgorgeTehMagicalPi... on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
In wizard101 Storm first started off with 70% accuracy. At level 60+ Storm is one of the schools with the most accuracy, if you use the best gear you can get(crafted is best). But now they do have that Hades gear and it's bringing everything down hill. Just to let you know when you are level 40+ Witchdoctor you should be fizzling about every 4-5 attacks, but you will have more skills(spells as I heard some call) so you won't be using normal attacks as much.

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
kount0 on Aug 18, 2013 wrote:
I see thiss all the time as I play the game. Witchdocs fizzle quite often when attacking with a staff or wand. I thinkthe fizzle includes blocked and dodged attempts but it still makes no sense at all to me. No offense intended, but my main character is a witchdoc at level 22 or so and questing in Cool Ranch.

With that being said, I never ever ever use my weapon at all. We have so many guarenteed hits that the fights are over long before I'm out of cards. This includes discarding spells that wont benefit my current fight. I keep my companions about 3 levels below mein general. I also trained privateer so I find that I can usually spend the last turn of a battle healing myself so I dont have to get fruit between battles, and just let my companions finish up.

Not all fights are like this of course, but I still dont use my weapon...even when I get Mormo AND Scratch as comps and I know its going to be one long fizzle party while I buff and heal my first mate and kill mobs when I can.

I think a witchdoc with heals may be the easiest class to solo with in PVE, although my privateer is ridiculously easy so far, but hes only in Monquista.

I know it gets a lot more challenging, but I still dont seeusing my weapon as a solution, except maybe in rare cases.
Fizzle party? That's from levels 1-37(2nd promotion). After Mormo's and Scratch's 2nd promotion they should be fizzling about every 5 attacks. Mormo seems to fizzle more, every 4-5 attacks for him. Just be happy you don't have the worst companion ever~Nurse Quinn(I still like her though, just gets blocked about 80% of the time).

Petty Officer
Sep 27, 2013
I think either Privateer or Swashbuckler is the best. On my old account these were my pirates
Griffin Hawkins lvl 34
Ryan Sawkins lvl 23

My new account:
Patrick Sheffield lvl 3
Griffin Nightingale lvl 2

Ensign
Jun 09, 2011
I, personally, am a buccaneer and I don't underestimate other classes, but I believe swashbucklers and privateers have the best advantage's. First off I will say that swashbucklers do have giant amounts of damage that make me want to run and hide, but when I just buff my self with privateer and buccaneer powers I am almost invincible,(except for bleeds and poison, which i think is unfair that they only have them). Privateers are a little more challenging because of there heals and buffs. I counter those buffs with there own class' heals buffs and my class' power ups. They still pose threats to me but with only me left I somehow barely beet them. REMEMBER: THIS IS COMING FROM A BUCCANEER.
Gruesome Luke Ashburn lvl 57

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2012
ok obviously we all know that the privateers are awesome. i mean healing, damage protection, those bombs drop moves. and most importantly most companions in the game.

bold Eric vane privateers rule

Ensign
Oct 28, 2013
JacobTHEPirate1243 on Jan 22, 2013 wrote:
I highly disagree! Buccaneers are much more tough and more criticals and they get Kobe too

Jacob Underwood lvl50 buccaneer
YesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesYESSSSSSSS! I agree!

-Leo, level 54

Ensign
Feb 25, 2013
This all depends on the way you prefer to fight. My opinion is...

1.- All depends on strategy. Musketeers have many types of gun shots and it depends if we use the right one at the right time. It also likes to lay traps, which can do 3x,4x damage and enemy is likely to step on it. Musketeers prefer long-range combat.
2. - By far, the fastest and can move a long way on the battle board. It also has this 'jump' ability to go past obstacles. Quite low/medium health, light armour but has a biggest attack. (Just like the storm school) The companions are quite good but can be a disadvantage to long-range pirates.
3. - It is just like the death school and the myth school. It can summon minions too. The range for this class is the best. Some spells can be casted anywhere on the board, some close range magic too. I've been playing wizard101 too so I don't quite like the repetition. Quite low health though and companions aren't that great.
4. - More like the balance and life school of W101. It can cast spells to support companions. Medium health. Medium armour. Low attack. I wouldn't recommend it. It may have the most companions, BUT they might not be good ones.
5. - Just like the ice school (Strong and sturdy) Medium attack, high health, high armour. However, low agility and ability to move that far on the board. I don't quite like the way a buccaneer fights too.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
PirateRandomGuy on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
This all depends on the way you prefer to fight. My opinion is...

1.- All depends on strategy. Musketeers have many types of gun shots and it depends if we use the right one at the right time. It also likes to lay traps, which can do 3x,4x damage and enemy is likely to step on it. Musketeers prefer long-range combat.
2. - By far, the fastest and can move a long way on the battle board. It also has this 'jump' ability to go past obstacles. Quite low/medium health, light armour but has a biggest attack. (Just like the storm school) The companions are quite good but can be a disadvantage to long-range pirates.
3. - It is just like the death school and the myth school. It can summon minions too. The range for this class is the best. Some spells can be casted anywhere on the board, some close range magic too. I've been playing wizard101 too so I don't quite like the repetition. Quite low health though and companions aren't that great.
4. - More like the balance and life school of W101. It can cast spells to support companions. Medium health. Medium armour. Low attack. I wouldn't recommend it. It may have the most companions, BUT they might not be good ones.
5. - Just like the ice school (Strong and sturdy) Medium attack, high health, high armour. However, low agility and ability to move that far on the board. I don't quite like the way a buccaneer fights too.
I highly disagree with you at all. If you haven't noticed people are always complaining about how good privateers are. Take a look for yourself. We can have just as good armor as buccaneers if we want. Plus we have the most base health. As for damage we can have 3-4 assassins strike. Putting privateers at 4th isn't correct. The list should look like this:

1. Privateers: High health, good armor and have the ability to get 3-4 assassins strikes. Can buff like crazy so nobody can hit them. Can increase damage and criticals. Plus heals. Privateers get most companions. Not to mention shields that can prevent any attack.
2.Musketeers:Great damage, can get valors armor. Attacks that hit more than one. Have traps that seriously slow down the opponent. Okay health but weak armor. That's what puts them in second.
3.Swashbuckler:Great speed and high damage. Can get ok gear. Get second most companions and get assassins strike plus 2 more deadly hits. They get dance of steel and gambit of steel which can attack all enemies. They get a poison plant thing which poisons you and prevents healing. However low health and weak armor.
4.Witchdoctor:They have most powers that weaken you and can add more minions to their team. They get two blades that are simply devasting. They can get an opponent to switch teams. Low health and low armor. Not fast.
5.Buccaneers:Don't have many attack powers and overall powers aren't great. High armor and high health. Not accurate or dodgy. They are hard to defeat individually but they can't help out their teammates so that's where it get's them.

P.S. Yes I am a privateer but I thought this out for awhile. I truly believe this is right.

Petty Officer
May 30, 2013
(Kay, I'm not the person who started this topic, but I REALLY wanted to do this so, yeah)

Alright, I have tallied up the results (so far) and the scores are:

In 4th place we have a tie between Musketeers and Witchdoctors, both classes came up a total of 6 votes.

In 3rd place we have the Buccaneer class with 7 votes!

In 2nd place we have Privateers with a total of 13 votes!!

And then we have the class that managed to come up with 15 votes, SWASHBUCKLER!!!!(plus an additional vote from me )

Keep Voting!!

Merciless Emma Jenkins Lvl 46