Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Best class debate

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
PirateRandomGuy on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
This all depends on the way you prefer to fight. My opinion is...

1.- All depends on strategy. Musketeers have many types of gun shots and it depends if we use the right one at the right time. It also likes to lay traps, which can do 3x,4x damage and enemy is likely to step on it. Musketeers prefer long-range combat.
2. - By far, the fastest and can move a long way on the battle board. It also has this 'jump' ability to go past obstacles. Quite low/medium health, light armour but has a biggest attack. (Just like the storm school) The companions are quite good but can be a disadvantage to long-range pirates.
3. - It is just like the death school and the myth school. It can summon minions too. The range for this class is the best. Some spells can be casted anywhere on the board, some close range magic too. I've been playing wizard101 too so I don't quite like the repetition. Quite low health though and companions aren't that great.
4. - More like the balance and life school of W101. It can cast spells to support companions. Medium health. Medium armour. Low attack. I wouldn't recommend it. It may have the most companions, BUT they might not be good ones.
5. - Just like the ice school (Strong and sturdy) Medium attack, high health, high armour. However, low agility and ability to move that far on the board. I don't quite like the way a buccaneer fights too.
Welcome to the message boards Pirate Random Guy. You have a good grasp of what these pirates can do but they can be made much more powerful with the right secondary training.
The privateers do get a lot of companions and one of them is the strongest I have seen. The necromancer pig. I have had countless players see mine in action and immediately go buy one from the crown shop because they were so impressed with his power and high damage he inflicts. Privateers are generally too busy helping their crew to attack, so they don't need a lot of high attacks. They can easily get them by farming the right bosses for non auction gear like Assassins Strike and it is handy to have it there just in case. They are at their best buffing and protecting their very strong crew members that really make it all about the team and not the pirate.

Petty Officer
Jul 22, 2013
No one will ever know. Everyone will just vote for their class so there is really no point.
All classes are unique and they all have their flaws IMO there all the best classes.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
I'm getting tired of people undermining privateer because we have low damage. First of all we have average damage and get 3-4 assassins strikes. So people who say that are just plain wrong. Second of all we are much to busy buffing (Speaking of which, one of our buffs INCREASES damage and 4 that add armor plus some accuracy and dodge. We have many more buffs besides these.) to attack much anyway. When we do we are usually buffed to the brim and attack with assassins strike. Whenever I scroll over peoples damage when I am comparing my stats to theirs my damage is always pretty good. I may be one in a million but I seriously doubt that. Also for people who say witchdoctors fizzle a lot that is not true. I think your just thinking of wizard101 and are assuming witchdoctors fizzle. I have never seen a witchdoctor fizzle.

Ensign
Feb 25, 2013
Duke of Westminste... on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
I highly disagree with you at all. If you haven't noticed people are always complaining about how good privateers are. Take a look for yourself. We can have just as good armor as buccaneers if we want. Plus we have the most base health. As for damage we can have 3-4 assassins strike. Putting privateers at 4th isn't correct. The list should look like this:

1. Privateers: High health, good armor and have the ability to get 3-4 assassins strikes. Can buff like crazy so nobody can hit them. Can increase damage and criticals. Plus heals. Privateers get most companions. Not to mention shields that can prevent any attack.
2.Musketeers:Great damage, can get valors armor. Attacks that hit more than one. Have traps that seriously slow down the opponent. Okay health but weak armor. That's what puts them in second.
3.Swashbuckler:Great speed and high damage. Can get ok gear. Get second most companions and get assassins strike plus 2 more deadly hits. They get dance of steel and gambit of steel which can attack all enemies. They get a poison plant thing which poisons you and prevents healing. However low health and weak armor.
4.Witchdoctor:They have most powers that weaken you and can add more minions to their team. They get two blades that are simply devasting. They can get an opponent to switch teams. Low health and low armor. Not fast.
5.Buccaneers:Don't have many attack powers and overall powers aren't great. High armor and high health. Not accurate or dodgy. They are hard to defeat individually but they can't help out their teammates so that's where it get's them.

P.S. Yes I am a privateer but I thought this out for awhile. I truly believe this is right.
They have more companions, but you will need more training points to support them, which can be a disadvantage to the user.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
PirateRandomGuy on Dec 29, 2013 wrote:
They have more companions, but you will need more training points to support them, which can be a disadvantage to the user.
Not really. I'm a max lvl privateer and all my companions (minus a few bad ones.) are in the 60's. Mostly 63 and up. I have also hit max gold a couple times. It's so easy to make money in Pirate101 it's not that challenging too spend money on practice points. Besides in PvP you bring your best companions and they are usually lvl 64 and up. So I don't see this as a disadvantage. Although we do spend a little extra time getting gold but this has no effect in pvp or against computer enemies.

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
I think Privateers are the best because they can use really good healing spells and use stuff like critical chances for them and their Companions.

Ensign
May 04, 2012
For those of you who have said "THERE ISN'T A GREATER CLASS THAN THE REST", your right. it simply matters wether or not your own strategies are good enough, how high of a lvl you are compared to who you fight, etc. That is my opinion.
-Stormy Talon Hobbes lvl 50 swashbuckler

P.S. i really enjoy playing as my swashbuckler, just with musketeer weapons, privateer healing powers, witchdoctor powers, and buffing all of my companions and getting them to be more tough.

Ensign
May 04, 2012
Sam Underhill on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
I must agree there is no 'best' class, but there are certainly 'favorite' classes. That might have been a better way to phrase the question. That said...

Swashbuckler is my favorite.! Group attacks, nifty graphics (go KI animation team!!!), cool stuff to do, Mustang Sally as a companion. But all classes are way cool.
Yep. pretty much

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Interesting topic, sure pirate class have their advantages and disadvantages from time to time.It's really hard for me to decide witch is pirate class is the best,although I played my Buccaneer a lot and not much with my Musketeer. I really like my created characters a lot,but this ranking is only my opinion so here we go.

1.Buccaneer - For it's legendary strength,endurance and defense.Usually Buccaneer are not speedy,but my own is faster then the typical Buccaneer witch make her special.Also it's also great if brute force is your kind of thing or want to progress rapidly this class is the deal.

2.Swashbuckler- For it's legendary speed,acrobatic skills jump over objects and sneaky skills.I tell you this class is fast and in my opinion best armor piercer class.If close combat,but speed is your thing instead,well this class is the ticket to your adventures.

3.Witchdoctor-For it's magic skills and high magic resistance,and interestingly high health. In my experience it might be the most challenging class of the five,but with a lot of practice and will it will make a great pirate think of it as your wizard pirate.If physical skills is not your thing or what the ultimate challenge, your in luck pirate this class is it.

4.Musketeer-For it's high speed,dodging skills and long range damages.This class often hit twice or more and not to mention the best trappers in my opinion. So you like to surprise your targets,look no further this class is it.

5.Privater-For it's high defense,healing abilities and it's varieties of useing weapons.This class is unique,when comes to dueling it can use both long range and short range weapons.Usually I go for strength since this class have high defense.So if magic and physical skills is your thing, this class is for you.

There is my ranking,please keep in mind it's my opinion and thanks for reading.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
Ensign
Apr 23, 2012
In my opinion I believe it all depends on strategy and your liking of that class.

Lv.65 Privateer

Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
Even though i am a swashbuckler, i say the best class is witchdoctors. They can start attacking from afar and can summon many minions to distract enemies. They can also buff themselves with all of their spells and enchantments. I hope you agree!

-Silver Fiona

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
ideally, yeah, all classes would be equal. but if you have alot of experience with p101, you know that that is not the case. i have a maxed swash, and am working on a level 46 priv. right now. fighting as a privateer is FAR easier than it was as a swash, because the buffs are great, the sheilds are great, and the heals are great. if you believe all the classes are equal, walk into the brawling hall and ask "which class is best?" the overwelming answer will be "Privateer", except for those that are overconfident in themselves. so, basically, privateers are top dog.

Matthew Walker 65
Sly Sloan Silver 46

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
My opinion from a PvP standpoint:

1. Privateer- If you're shaking in your boots when you see an enemy Privateer, don't worry. You're not alone. While Privateers don't pack much of a punch alone, their team buffs are absolutely devastating . For 5-10 turns, Privateers can morph their companions and allies into absolute demi-gods. If there's one class that you hear the most murmurs of being "overpowered" or some variation of it, it's the Privateer.

2/3 Witchdoctor/Musketeer- Some Witchdoctor's attacks have infinite range, easily wearing down an enemy before they have a chance of attack. If they do have a chance to attack, Witchdoctors can use Charm can turn their greatest enemy into their one of the best ally. If they don't have Charm, Witchdocotor slice enemies with the powerful Mojo Blade/Reaver. The Juju series boost is flexible enough to fit in the slots of all classes. Shadow Step is a nice addition and the ability to summon minions is just icing on the cake.

Musketeer- Can create Area of Denial traps to tunnel your opponent into a meat grinder. Amazing range and highly accurate.

4. Swashbuckler- Glass Cannons of Pirate 101. They can drain a Buccaneer's health from green to red, with a string of Ripostes and First Strikes. They can chase down fleeing enemies with their blistering speed and deliver the fatal blow. Their Camouflage set abilities is a wildcard in PVP. If players are not careful with a hidden Swashbucker, they might loose a companion the next turn.

5. Buccaneer- Being last doesn't mean the class the is terrible. Their defense boosting set and double movement attack set abilities have their purposes in the game. Reckless Frenzy is an interesting ability. Use it right and the health the Buccaneer shed will matter little compared to a downed enemy.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
Witchdoctors are the only class with relentless.
We can turn you around, I've charmed a swashbuckler and she used an assassin strike on a companion.
We have a reckless frenzy - chain lightning, the most I've seen was 15 chains.
We have Great Juju.
We have three mourn songs that only fits witchdoctors because of our spooky talents and will.
We have two powerful sword attacks - watch out swashbucklers, musketeers, and buccaneers for these ignores armor.
Our heals are as good as privateers
We can summon an army - one skeletal pirate, a musketeer skeleton, a skeletal dragon, and a five skeletal army, with vengeance strike.
Oh yeah, and if you got lucky, we can shadow step, heal, and mourn song.
Finally, we are just too powerful.

Golden Chris Silver - Level63...WITCHDOCTORS, UNITE!
P.S. I have defeated a level 28 privateer when I was level 23, so, we can purge magic your companions, . Watch your companions that lost their lust die in a distance
P.S. Watch us get healed or buffed by you after being charmed.

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2011
Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2011
Bloodcross74 on Jan 25, 2013 wrote:
Basing this on PvP...

1. Privateers/Witchdoctors (There's a debate between them) vs

3. Musketeers
4. Swashbucklers

5. Buccaneers

Dead-Eye Jeremy Wright 50
Dead-Eye Jeremy Wright 39
Buccaneers shouldnt be last they are good

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2011
jinka45 on May 23, 2013 wrote:
i ma lvl 50 swashy
i believe swashbuckers are the best
reasons?
they are very deadly with a blade and have many criticals than any other classes
they can poison their enemies
they can bleed enemies
they get the best and most number of companions after privateers
we get a lot of attacks and talents
we are very dodgy than others
we have first strike and riposte which no one can posses ( except that witch doctors can provide haste )
we can stay hidden for a number of rounds and that way we can multiply our damage into two
we also have certain spells that increase our criticals ( and believe me it works ninety nine percent )
swhshbucklers rule
All classes are good. swashbucklers have bad health and no range

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2011
Puppylove1021 on Aug 1, 2013 wrote:
Swashbuckler all the way! They have the largest amount of damage! Get a heal from Privateer and Ghostwail from Witchdoctor and you are a tank! Witchdoctor is second for me, then Musketeer is third, Privateer is forth, and last is Buccaneer.

Dreaming Jill Underwood level 33
It all depends who your fighting each class has its weaknesses and strengths like muskets and witches would obliterate swashys because of their range

Ensign
Oct 29, 2011
I say swashbuckler because
1. We have extremely high damage
2. We can kill anyone easily
3. As for healing, I feel Bonnie Anne is enough as everyone does before me
4. We have ranged attacks, and can train traps from the musketeers roost
5. With the right gear, we can have awesome armor and damage with quite a bit of health
6. We can be hidden
7. We can attack a musketeer in a round because of our running range on the board
8. We can hit multiple enemies at once, poison them and make them bleed
9. We get Sarah Steel, who is the best of the treasure hunters
10. I've never had trouble in cool ranch whereas all my friends of all classes seem to
11. We have extreme dodge rates and get riposte and first strike, and we have grand shadow dance as well
12. Our trainer is awesome (read Morgan Lafitte's back story)
13. We can also train heals and get it from gear
Tip for swashbuckler should train the glancing blow thing, then you will have a better set

My list:
1. Swashbuckler
2. Privateer
3. Witchdoctor
4. Musketeer
5. Buccaneer

Ensign
Feb 08, 2014
anthony mistblade on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
I say swashbuckler because
1. We have extremely high damage
2. We can kill anyone easily
3. As for healing, I feel Bonnie Anne is enough as everyone does before me
4. We have ranged attacks, and can train traps from the musketeers roost
5. With the right gear, we can have awesome armor and damage with quite a bit of health
6. We can be hidden
7. We can attack a musketeer in a round because of our running range on the board
8. We can hit multiple enemies at once, poison them and make them bleed
9. We get Sarah Steel, who is the best of the treasure hunters
10. I've never had trouble in cool ranch whereas all my friends of all classes seem to
11. We have extreme dodge rates and get riposte and first strike, and we have grand shadow dance as well
12. Our trainer is awesome (read Morgan Lafitte's back story)
13. We can also train heals and get it from gear
Tip for swashbuckler should train the glancing blow thing, then you will have a better set

My list:
1. Swashbuckler
2. Privateer
3. Witchdoctor
4. Musketeer
5. Buccaneer
I shall try to prove each one of these wrong as a witchdoctor.
1.True
2.Not everyone. Ranged people can destroy you as they can slow you down. Don't forget about the buffs of a privateer.
3. Sometimes bonnie anne's heal is not enough.
4.Same with most other classes (Not buccaneer)
5.Same with all the classes.
6.And you can get out of hidden too you know.
7.Take it to minium 2. They're traps.
8. True but same with a witch (Curse)
9.The best treasure hunter is a player, not a compainion
10, I haven't got in any trouble.
11.Privateers buffs make up for your dogde as well as people can reduce your accuracy. Riposite and first strike are good though.
12. A class isn't better by having a good or bad teacher as long as it teaches.
13.Other people can have heals too.

Ensign
Feb 08, 2014
Here is my rankings.

Tied for 1st. Witchdoctor Privateer They are the only classes with trainable heals (jobu/heal). Privateers can boost their compainions but witches can borrow them and overflow the board with more undead. Witchdoctors are hard to come close to espically if they have two teleports. They have swords they devastate swashes and buccs. Privateers can make their comps into fierce warriors. They can give accuracy and dogde boost to out dogde a swash and have more accuracy then a musket. However powers can't be dogded so thats good for the witch. Witches = Tricksters. Privateers = supporters
3rd Musketeers. Their traps are hard to go by. They can snipe you while your in a maze. They deal good damage and about range. They are also fast and have good agility. musketeers = snipers

4th. Swashes These guys have good amount of damage and speed but they are slow getting to witches and muskets with their tricks, and a privateer's comps can easily beat you while their buffs are on.Low health. swash = glass cannon

Buccaneers, They don't know how to tank properly (Most buccs) as swashes can dominate them, and be countless hit by other classes. Their charges are decent. They don't have any real good power though. They just have armor and high health. Buccs = MEAT SHIELDS.

(Don't take offense.)

Ensign
Oct 29, 2011
Ultimatemagic1 on Mar 18, 2014 wrote:
I shall try to prove each one of these wrong as a witchdoctor.
1.True
2.Not everyone. Ranged people can destroy you as they can slow you down. Don't forget about the buffs of a privateer.
3. Sometimes bonnie anne's heal is not enough.
4.Same with most other classes (Not buccaneer)
5.Same with all the classes.
6.And you can get out of hidden too you know.
7.Take it to minium 2. They're traps.
8. True but same with a witch (Curse)
9.The best treasure hunter is a player, not a compainion
10, I haven't got in any trouble.
11.Privateers buffs make up for your dogde as well as people can reduce your accuracy. Riposite and first strike are good though.
12. A class isn't better by having a good or bad teacher as long as it teaches.
13.Other people can have heals too.
Just a few more points
3. I now have a ton of heals
6. Not if you're careful
7. Agreed, but 2 is really good
9. Treasure hunters are the companions that you get when you fight ratbeard for the will, there are 5 treasure hunters for each class: Sarah Steele, Barnabus, Louis (crab harpooner), Water mole, Private Exeter (or whatever his name is)
10. Well, I know many who have, and all my swashbuckler friends haven't, to be honest
11. We can train dodge buffs and keep our dodge at the max, and then there is El Toro's buff..
12. I know, but she is awesome anyways
13,4. Yes but Swashbucklers are degraded for their low health and weak defences with no heals and no range, I am just saying that we can have good defences, heals and range if we play the game right,

Everyone has their own opinion anyway!
Witty Orion Underhill

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
The best Karen Skulls tavern is actually Mormo - second on my list.He is the only one with relentless and his damage is amazing. As an experienced witchdoctor, I wouldn't give him improved mojo blast. Thus, he never misses especially with Jubu's Ruse. His epic pool is great - I gave him Mojo echo2, Jubu Ruse, and Cowards Bane. Also, Mormo's powers are amazing. Mojo Blade can devastate a melee enemy who thinks Mormo is puny, and with additional Mojo Echo's-360 damage each- which really has a 90% chance of activating from where I see him. And for Swashbucklers who likes to hide, Mojo Storm can take that away. When many see Crow's Song, they would think +2 haste is useless, but adding an additional first strike to El Toro is a huge advantage. Finally, Mutineer's Grasp reduces your chances of doing critical hits.

So, Witchdoctors are very lucky to have such a great companion on their side, without having to pay.

Golden Chris Silver Level65

P.S: In the up coming update, I really wish Mormo receives an update. I mean, I would like him to have Raven's Cry and Davy Jone's Reach. Maybe Mojo Reaver. One of those promoted powers would be fine. Thank you KI for creating Mormo.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
All classes are awesome and I think that they are all even.
Buccaneers: They are strong, can withstand physical damage, and attack relentlessly.
Musketeers: They can attack multiple times, can attack from a range, and attack multiple enemies.
Privateers: They have high health, allot of buffs, and the most companions.
Swashbucklers: They can jump over obstacles, attack multiple enemies multiple times, and have high dodge.
Witchdoctors: They can use hoodoo, they can summon minions, and attack multiple targets.