Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Side Activities vs. Story

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 23, 2014
I just wanted to say that I don't think it is a good idea for Pirate to keep developing these side systems. Scrip and the black market are fine, pets are cool, but apparently you guys are trying to release crafting and possibly other things. I am under the impression that it is not very helpful to the game to come up with these new systems without releasing new story first. A lot of developers have said that side content helps keep the player base staying here, that they are investing in the future of the game, but who really gets on Pirate only to train pets? I mean, is this done? I have played Wizard, and decided I didn't like it, because the side content involves so much grind that it is not at all enjoyable, and then the content developers spend less time perfecting the story and spells, and more on their side systems. This then makes the combat more grindy and less enjoyable. I understand that you want to make the game more than just the story, but you need to make the story a priority, not a co-priority with the side systems. People aren't playing your game to raise pets, there are far less expensive options if online pet raising was all you wanted. Same thing if you implement crafting. That isn't why people play this game. People play this game to go on fun pirate adventures with their super-cool crew, to find out and dream up all they can about Kane and his Court, and to fight and sail their way to El Dorado.

People aren't gonna get bored if you keep consistently releasing good story content. People will get exhausted if you release mediocre story content that requires excessive use of the side systems to be successful.

P.S. I think Pirate's art is beautiful, and I would not want to see that ruined by implementing crafting if that means reagents are going to be cropping up every three feet, ruining the look.

Petty Officer
Apr 21, 2012
Kan The Destroyer on Dec 28, 2014 wrote:
I just wanted to say that I don't think it is a good idea for Pirate to keep developing these side systems. Scrip and the black market are fine, pets are cool, but apparently you guys are trying to release crafting and possibly other things. I am under the impression that it is not very helpful to the game to come up with these new systems without releasing new story first. A lot of developers have said that side content helps keep the player base staying here, that they are investing in the future of the game, but who really gets on Pirate only to train pets? I mean, is this done? I have played Wizard, and decided I didn't like it, because the side content involves so much grind that it is not at all enjoyable, and then the content developers spend less time perfecting the story and spells, and more on their side systems. This then makes the combat more grindy and less enjoyable. I understand that you want to make the game more than just the story, but you need to make the story a priority, not a co-priority with the side systems. People aren't playing your game to raise pets, there are far less expensive options if online pet raising was all you wanted. Same thing if you implement crafting. That isn't why people play this game. People play this game to go on fun pirate adventures with their super-cool crew, to find out and dream up all they can about Kane and his Court, and to fight and sail their way to El Dorado.

People aren't gonna get bored if you keep consistently releasing good story content. People will get exhausted if you release mediocre story content that requires excessive use of the side systems to be successful.

P.S. I think Pirate's art is beautiful, and I would not want to see that ruined by implementing crafting if that means reagents are going to be cropping up every three feet, ruining the look.
The new story content hasn't been out for over a year. I believe the side content is largely there to add something new during he wait, you need something to come back to in between, after all. I'm sure they're working very hard over there to get an awesome story ready for release, until then, there's plenty to keep you occupied.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The previous updates were needed to make the game better: Companion tasking and advanced pets, the Tower of Moo Manchu has added hours of fun ( not to mention wonderful, powerful gear ). The Black Market is an added bonus and many players got a wish fulfilled when KI equipped our ships with cabins.
What part of pet training in P101 do you think is a grind? We have the easiest time training and morphing our pets compared to W101. Crafting will very likely follow the same pattern. Reagents hardly disturb any art in W101 so I don't see how you can say that it would ruin the look of the art. ( And my wizards wish reagents cropped up every three feet. )
Yes, we all wish that a story update would be released, that being said, would you prefer them to release a hurried-up patched together story or one that can match ( or even surpass ) glorious Marleybone or Aquila? Has KI ever disappointed us in the story department? Then just wait a little longer, mate; it's coming and it will be worth the wait!

Commodore
May 31, 2009

"I just wanted to say that I don't think it is a good idea for Pirate to keep developing these side systems."

Did I really just read that correctly? These features are some of the greatest things about the game!

"make the story a priority, not a co-priority with the side systems."

Side systems make the game what it is. Pirate101 isn't just about story; we need these extras to help us along the road to Kane, El Dorado, and beyond. And if KI started throwing out chopped-together, less developed story just to keep players happy, I, and many other players, would be disappointed.

"who really gets on Pirate only to train pets? I mean, is this done?...People aren't playing your game to raise pets"

It is done. Quite often, in fact. Pet training and morphing is actually quite enjoyable, and the stronger pets made by morphing help out in battle quite a bit. And if you disagree with that, then just don't use the function to its full potential.

"People will get exhausted if you release mediocre story content that requires excessive use of the side systems to be successful."

Can't you see that they're giving us side content while they work on the next story update? The fact that it's taking a while means it is either going to be large, very in-depth, or, most likely, both.

Have patience, the updates will be here in their own time.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

As someone I think I may or may not have known, may or may not have once said, I believe the local florist grump:

"MMO's are like a box of chocolate-- you never know who's gonna like what."

That being the case, you might as well put into the box every delicious flavor you can think of, to entice a greater variety and number of chocolate cravin' cocoa-hounds! You won't like some, he won't like some, she won't like some and I won't like some.....but when you find those yummy flavors of chocolaty goodness that you do find oh so scrumptious-- you pick through the box(es) and gobble them all up, while only taking precautious, "I don't know about this", little bites of the "other ones"...just to get a small sample and expose your senses to them, in hopes of discovering a new exquisite taste to further enjoy.

Without that variety that box of chocolates just becomes a box of chocolate, that just repeats itself. Sure, some may enjoy just that same-ol'-same type of chocolate, but it's lack of variety is going to cause a great many of potential choco-chompers to pass it up altogether. And that poor mono-chocolate box is going to be enjoyed by a selectively small group, while many boxes are going to be left on the shelf-- never to bring joy to so many others.

For an MMO to survive and thrive, it can't be just a one-type-of-chocolate, kind of box-- it has to "ooh and ahh" all types of would-be "samplers". Many, many players like a great variety of chocolates...I mean features involved in their gaming experiences. The more interactive, the more fulfilling it is for them to have a variety of gaming elements to involve themselves with.

The great news is that Pirate101 is like a variety box of succulent sweetness that also comes with a free box of chocolate catering to each pirates' individual tastes. You can make your play through of P101 pretty much whatever you want it to be. Almost all of the recently added content is optional and you can add as much flavor as you wish and to as many aspects of these new features as you also wish. Sure, we all want the story to go on and for the new worlds to get here...but a great many of us also want a game as chockfull of goodness, flavor and variety as you can cram into one "box". Then we each can decide what flavors we want to sample and maybe even develop and discover some newly found favorites in the process.

The new worlds and content are just over the horizon-- and I am sure they are going to blow us all away-- in the meantime, try taking some bigger bites of the goodies that are already here...you just might unveil a little taste of awesomeness!

Ensign
May 23, 2014
anecorbie on Dec 29, 2014 wrote:
The previous updates were needed to make the game better: Companion tasking and advanced pets, the Tower of Moo Manchu has added hours of fun ( not to mention wonderful, powerful gear ). The Black Market is an added bonus and many players got a wish fulfilled when KI equipped our ships with cabins.
What part of pet training in P101 do you think is a grind? We have the easiest time training and morphing our pets compared to W101. Crafting will very likely follow the same pattern. Reagents hardly disturb any art in W101 so I don't see how you can say that it would ruin the look of the art. ( And my wizards wish reagents cropped up every three feet. )
Yes, we all wish that a story update would be released, that being said, would you prefer them to release a hurried-up patched together story or one that can match ( or even surpass ) glorious Marleybone or Aquila? Has KI ever disappointed us in the story department? Then just wait a little longer, mate; it's coming and it will be worth the wait!
I'm not against the Companions or Moo Manchu updates. I think they're both good. I think improving the current systems is always a good thing. I don't think pet training is grindy in Pirate, I was saying it's grindy in Wizard, I love pet training here! I do, however, think crafting in Wizard involves an irritating amount of work and it kinda ruins my enjoyment of cool views because I personally do not like to be assailed, constantly, by the thought "There's a stone block/mist wood/what have you! Go get it!". I know I wouldn't have to go get it in Pirate, or Wizard, but....compulsivity...

You're right, I would like a fully developed, wonderful story, not a rushed one. But Blind Mew said (awhile ago, actually, so this might change) that he wanted to veer away from releasing new content in blocks as big as MB+AQ, and I'm like it's been 1.6 (repeating) years, and we have no teasers even at new story content, and I just don't want them to add in all this extra stuff if it's going to dilute the story's awesomeness.

But I suppose you're right: Patience is key here.

Ensign
May 23, 2014
MistyDragon13 on Dec 29, 2014 wrote:
"I just wanted to say that I don't think it is a good idea for Pirate to keep developing these side systems."

Did I really just read that correctly? These features are some of the greatest things about the game!

"make the story a priority, not a co-priority with the side systems."

Side systems make the game what it is. Pirate101 isn't just about story; we need these extras to help us along the road to Kane, El Dorado, and beyond. And if KI started throwing out chopped-together, less developed story just to keep players happy, I, and many other players, would be disappointed.

"who really gets on Pirate only to train pets? I mean, is this done?...People aren't playing your game to raise pets"

It is done. Quite often, in fact. Pet training and morphing is actually quite enjoyable, and the stronger pets made by morphing help out in battle quite a bit. And if you disagree with that, then just don't use the function to its full potential.

"People will get exhausted if you release mediocre story content that requires excessive use of the side systems to be successful."

Can't you see that they're giving us side content while they work on the next story update? The fact that it's taking a while means it is either going to be large, very in-depth, or, most likely, both.

Have patience, the updates will be here in their own time.
Side systems make the game what it is. Pirate101 isn't just about story; we need these extras to help us along the road to Kane, El Dorado, and beyond.
That's where I disagree with you. I don't think crafting, gardening etc. (which is what I mean by side systems, if that was a misleading term to use then my apologies) are what makes the game what it is, I think it's the story. We don't exactly need these systems to get to Kane, El Dorado, etc. We'll only need them as much as KI gives them power to help us. If KI just put all the gear we needed in the game as boss drops, it would make crafting obsolete. Same thing with furniture or anything else you could possibly craft.

If you meant things like the Companions update, then I would agree with you-it was necessary.

It is done. Quite often, in fact. Pet training and morphing is actually quite enjoyable, and the stronger pets made by morphing help out in battle quite a bit.
I'm sure a ton of people do train pets, I do as well, that not what I was disputing. I was saying that I wasn't under the impression that people played Pirate solely for the pet training.

What I'm really saying, is that Wizard has made its players rely too much on the side systems to be successful, and I don't want Pirate to go the same way. Pirate is designed differently, with better opportunities to make the game increasingly harder without making it impossible, and with boss cheats that aren't as devastating as those in Wizard, just based on the fact that we don't wait 2 millennia to get enough pips to attack in Pirate. That doesn't mean the devs don't need to be careful about making these side systems crucial to success.

Can't you see that they're giving us side content while they work on the next story update?
No, I see that they're slowing down the development of the story by working to implement crafting or whatever else they have up their sleeve.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Don't worry form what I read in facebook, KI didn't gave up bringing up new storylines they just take a long time to develop and do some retuning to check on qualities and other issues. To make sure the new contents run as smoothly as possible. It's coming soon pirate. For now just do some side quests, talk to friends etc. Until then see you at the spiral.

Ensign
May 23, 2014
Kan The Destroyer on Dec 30, 2014 wrote:
Side systems make the game what it is. Pirate101 isn't just about story; we need these extras to help us along the road to Kane, El Dorado, and beyond.
That's where I disagree with you. I don't think crafting, gardening etc. (which is what I mean by side systems, if that was a misleading term to use then my apologies) are what makes the game what it is, I think it's the story. We don't exactly need these systems to get to Kane, El Dorado, etc. We'll only need them as much as KI gives them power to help us. If KI just put all the gear we needed in the game as boss drops, it would make crafting obsolete. Same thing with furniture or anything else you could possibly craft.

If you meant things like the Companions update, then I would agree with you-it was necessary.

It is done. Quite often, in fact. Pet training and morphing is actually quite enjoyable, and the stronger pets made by morphing help out in battle quite a bit.
I'm sure a ton of people do train pets, I do as well, that not what I was disputing. I was saying that I wasn't under the impression that people played Pirate solely for the pet training.

What I'm really saying, is that Wizard has made its players rely too much on the side systems to be successful, and I don't want Pirate to go the same way. Pirate is designed differently, with better opportunities to make the game increasingly harder without making it impossible, and with boss cheats that aren't as devastating as those in Wizard, just based on the fact that we don't wait 2 millennia to get enough pips to attack in Pirate. That doesn't mean the devs don't need to be careful about making these side systems crucial to success.

Can't you see that they're giving us side content while they work on the next story update?
No, I see that they're slowing down the development of the story by working to implement crafting or whatever else they have up their sleeve.
Oops. This isn't how I meant for this to come out. Let me try again.

What I'm really saying, is that Wizard has made its players rely too much on the side systems to be successful, and I don't want Pirate to go the same way. Pirate is designed differently, with better opportunities to make the game increasingly harder without making it impossible, and with boss cheats that aren't as devastating as those in Wizard, just based on the fact that we don't wait 2 millennia to get enough pips to attack in Pirate. That, however, doesn't mean the devs don't need to be careful about making these side systems crucial to success.

Petty Officer
Apr 21, 2012
Kan The Destroyer on Jan 9, 2015 wrote:
Oops. This isn't how I meant for this to come out. Let me try again.

What I'm really saying, is that Wizard has made its players rely too much on the side systems to be successful, and I don't want Pirate to go the same way. Pirate is designed differently, with better opportunities to make the game increasingly harder without making it impossible, and with boss cheats that aren't as devastating as those in Wizard, just based on the fact that we don't wait 2 millennia to get enough pips to attack in Pirate. That, however, doesn't mean the devs don't need to be careful about making these side systems crucial to success.

Well the way I see it, I'm not really that it's slowing down development of story. The developers of the systems continue to add new features while the writers continue working on the yet unfinished story even as I type.