Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Gallant Defense

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
This has been bothering me for a while now. Swashbucklers are glass-cannons that rely heavily on dodging right? Then why do they know Gallant Defense, a move that forces enemies to attack you instead of the adjacent ally? They'll even take all the AoE damage from Witchdoctors and Privateers, making them take from 2 to up to 8 times more damage . In my opinion it sounds more like a Buccaneer move since they're suppose to be tanks.

Would be awesome if it did the opposite, "Adjacent Allies intercept attacks directed at you," but if that happens, then it wouldn't sound like "Gallant Defense," more like "Fortify"

Oh! What if both these talents exist? Swashbucklerscan use "Fortify" and Buccaneers can do "Gallant Defense!"

(These is just my thoughts, some may disagree but I'm ok with it)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Joseph K on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:
This has been bothering me for a while now. Swashbucklers are glass-cannons that rely heavily on dodging right? Then why do they know Gallant Defense, a move that forces enemies to attack you instead of the adjacent ally? They'll even take all the AoE damage from Witchdoctors and Privateers, making them take from 2 to up to 8 times more damage . In my opinion it sounds more like a Buccaneer move since they're suppose to be tanks.

Would be awesome if it did the opposite, "Adjacent Allies intercept attacks directed at you," but if that happens, then it wouldn't sound like "Gallant Defense," more like "Fortify"

Oh! What if both these talents exist? Swashbucklerscan use "Fortify" and Buccaneers can do "Gallant Defense!"

As a Swashbuckler, Gallant Defense is used to protect your companions. You know we have no way to shield them and many are very squishy. Our high dodge, combined with talents of First Strike and Riposte make Gallant Defense a useful way to make the enemies very sorry indeed that they chose to attack our crew. ( However, don't use it around Musketeers or the exploding Terror-Cotta in Moo's Tower! )
Gallant Defense would be completely wrong for Bucks because they are the "tanks", designed to take hits and dish it back with Vengeance Strike ( also add to that the possibility of stuns and chain bladestorms, and well, I think you can see that GD would be worthless to them. Also they don't train FS or Riposte. )

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
Joseph K on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:

What about for fortify ALL adjacent units intercept attacks directed at you? That way you could damage enemies too.

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
anecorbie on Dec 4, 2016 wrote:
As a Swashbuckler, Gallant Defense is used to protect your companions. You know we have no way to shield them and many are very squishy. Our high dodge, combined with talents of First Strike and Riposte make Gallant Defense a useful way to make the enemies very sorry indeed that they chose to attack our crew. ( However, don't use it around Musketeers or the exploding Terror-Cotta in Moo's Tower! )
Gallant Defense would be completely wrong for Bucks because they are the "tanks", designed to take hits and dish it back with Vengeance Strike ( also add to that the possibility of stuns and chain bladestorms, and well, I think you can see that GD would be worthless to them. Also they don't train FS or Riposte. )
Yea I don't know why but at the time I thought that Swashbucklers were soloist who only use their team for distractions. I also wasn't thinking about how Swashbucklers fight like heroes. Makes sense why they have Gallant Defense, gallant meaning brave/heroic. Very thematic, I love it!

Rethinking about Fortify, it sounds like something a gang of bullies, or a leader surrounded by bodyguards would use. Would really love to see a talent like this being added and used in the game by not just players, but also enemies.

It could be a rare item drop too, possibly from either a Bulldog Commodore who uses this move while constantly being surrounded by Redcoat Musketeers/Privateers, OR a Skeletal captain surrounded by his skeletal crew. Would be a pretty epic fight.

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
Fearless Finnagan on Dec 4, 2016 wrote:
What about for fortify ALL adjacent units intercept attacks directed at you? That way you could damage enemies too.
Yea that's the idea