Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Old Scratch, Carcarius, or Mormo?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 19, 2010
So I’m a low level Witchdoctoe (only level 15)z I want to know which out of these 3 witchdoctor companions is worth leveling up the most. If 2 are tied, then you can say both. I just need advice because I do not know which of these are actually worth leveling up in the game and using.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Taylor Daisy Flame on Mar 14, 2018 wrote:
So I’m a low level Witchdoctoe (only level 15)z I want to know which out of these 3 witchdoctor companions is worth leveling up the most. If 2 are tied, then you can say both. I just need advice because I do not know which of these are actually worth leveling up in the game and using.
*sigh*

ALL companions are "worth leveling up" -- even if all you use them for is companion tasks.Leveling them up will bring better rewards from their tasks, such as Pet Wrangling or Sailing, or cut the time it takes them, such as Keel Hauling. You really do yourself a disservice by letting any of them fall too far behind, especially when you get to higher worlds and need to change your strategy because the enemies get more dangerous and defeat some of your crew.

Without know your play style, how can anyone tell you which of them to use? You may want to use all three on your crew for a few battles and see how they do. All witchdoctors have "fizzle" issues at early levels, but all three get better after they receive promotions. Working with your crew is the best way to determine which ones you will like to use.

To me, the best way to play is on First Mate or Random, as it adds variety and you never know who you're going to get and win the battle with. Being able to win with Mormo, Carcarius and Old Scratch as a team is a great witchy feeling.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Taylor Daisy Flame on Mar 14, 2018 wrote:
They are all very good companions, although Carcarious has some issues with accuracy. But then even Old Scratch tends to fizzle and he's now one of the most valued companions in the game.
I heartily agree with Willowydream's response and I will add this, don't neglect your other companions in favor of an all Witchdoctor team, you will need a mixture of all classes!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
You should also know there are ways to get bang for those training tomes. You don't need to level them up to the same level as you are. It takes several tomes to get them that last bit raised. Most crew do pretty useful work even if they are a level or two below you. If they drop to 3 or 4 below you, giving them ONE tome will usually pop them up a level. If they are even lower than that, one tome might bump them up more than one level. Much better use of tomes than keeping a small number of crew at your own level. Don't want to use tomes on a crew member? Brawling task will raise them too. It's slow, but if you are working on one of your other pirates anyway, you can have the unused crew brawling for you each day, catching up, while you quest on another pirate. Whoever you like to use as fist mate, you might want to keep closer to your level, because you use them the most often.