Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Falmea Friday - Let's Start at the Very Beginning

AuthorMessage
Hello Pirate friends - let's chat about something new, shall we?

For this edition of Feedback Friday, let's stick with the new and shiny theme and consider your first footsteps into Skull Island. In the first hour of play in the Spiral, what is the ONE thing you'd like to see us improve? We want to know!

May the wind be at your back and your heading true,

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
My one recommendation would be to bring back the old ship tutorial with Boochbeard's ship. Aside from that, it's perfect. Honestly one of the most well made parts of the game.

Ensign
May 23, 2009
Battle tutorials. W101 has had the occasional quest Dueling Diego assigns us to learn all about the stats of the game, from critical, shadow pips, resist, block, etc. We need a similar series of quests, so all players can get PROPERLY EDUCATED on how each stat works and what each card icon tells you for Pirate101. A lot of players struggle to get by in the game because there is ZERO tutorial quests to teach them about weapon types, power range, types of epics and best combinations for them, etc.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Professor Falmea on Feb 8, 2019 wrote:
Hello Pirate friends - let's chat about something new, shall we?

For this edition of Feedback Friday, let's stick with the new and shiny theme and consider your first footsteps into Skull Island. In the first hour of play in the Spiral, what is the ONE thing you'd like to see us improve? We want to know!

May the wind be at your back and your heading true,

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
Well, in W101's early quests, the bosses themselves have tooltips that warn, and yes, taunt, players when they've been tasked to enter and complete dungeons, specifically those that take about 30 minutes or longer, though, that stopped around the time the later updates came along.

Now, upon remembering what dialogue lines past bosses have said before, "Only four at a time can enter a dungeon, so bring your best warriors, and when everyone leaves, the level will reset in a short amount of time.", "You can replay this dungeon again and again, allowing you to gain additional unique loot, but only if you survive.", sometimes followed with evil laughter for some ominous vibes, I get that repeating those lines can get very annoying, and, yes, I agree with some people about that. That would've been alleviated by merely having just the bosses in later worlds past MooShu warn and threaten the players when entering their dungeons, like in some cases of MooShu, even side worlds.

Time to get to the point. I would like for select bosses in P101 to warn and threaten the players when they've neared the entry sigils while they're on particular quests via their own ToolTips, but, the 1st time they do so, have a new ToolTip about Boochbeard and Gandry explain a bit more about instance levels, or rather, how dungeons operate, because, honestly, we weren't educated much on that subject.

There's this, too. The ToolTip about boss enemies has apparently been abandoned when Skull Island had the expansion update, the one that played upon defeating Buster Crab's former self in the retired quest, "The Claws of Justice", formerly given by Jack. I really love the Red Claw Gang given a better purpose in the storyline, but the ToolTip should've remained. I have this suggestion. Have it reappear & played upon defeating Fin Dorsal, but have the dialogue revised to ensure they know boss enemies, like Fin Dorsal, from other enemy mobs. Here's this revision suggestion...

Boochbeard: "Fin Dorsal's a Boss! Bosses are harder to beat, but sometimes give special rare items as rewards."

I have one other thought, about the tutorial. When our pirates first take damage from the designate Battle Angel, I noticed past dialogue being carried over to there, from Boochbeard in the former tutorial before the revamp...

Boochbeard: "Beware those spark throwers - that's how guns work in the Spiral!"

Boochbeard: "They generate a burst of electricity to stun ye into submission!"

I think those lines should be removed, since we've seen how they really work in the Spiral.

Also, there's some removed dialogue that should've remained...

Mr. Gandry: "That looked painful."

Boochbeard: Oh no! Ye took some damage."

Those lines would've warned them about taking damage from enemies while on the tutorial. I'm thinking those revised lines should take their place instead of carried over dialogue. Here's these revised lines I thought about...

Mr. Gandry: "Ooh! That looked painful!"

Mr. Gandry: "Oh, no! Watch your health gauge, Pirate! You took some damage!"

Almost forgot! There should've been a brief moment added where us Pirates earned a bit of regular XP from defeating the Armada enemies, & Boochbeard and Gandry explaining how XP works. Here's how it should be...

Mr. Gandry: "Victory! You've defeated them all!"

Boochbeard: "Ha-har! Look 'ere Pirate, at the bottom o' the screen! Ye've earned some experience!"

Boochbeard: "Ye see this bar, Pirate? This be yer Experience Bar, made to keep track of how much experience ye get."

Mr. Gandry: "As you continue to battle your enemies and complete quests, which comes later, your experience bar keeps on filling."

Mr. Gandry: "Once it's full, you'll gain a level, and get stronger each time you do so, allowing you to learn new Powers and Talents along the way! In fact-"

Boochbeard: "No time fer all that now, Gandry! Deacon's vulnerable! This be our chance to strike at him while we can!"

Mr. Gandry: "Of course. I did not forget. Ready to surrender now, you Clockwork beast?"

One more thing, I also noticed something about the nautical portion of the Tutorial, about the dialogue...

There's this line that's been played twice, before running to the Armada ships, & upon losing them...

Boochbeard: "That's better. Now set course for the docks at Skull Island, before any more Clockworks find us!"

Here's what should be revised in place of said duplicated line, while the camera focuses on Skull Island...

Boochbeard: "Now that ye've gotten the basics of ship navigation, it's time to make yer way to Skull Island! Ye see it, don't ye? It's the island with the big Skull."

Also, while the Armada ships attempt to attack us...

Boochbeard: "Blast! We can't risk the island under the Armada's grip! We'll have to shake 'em off, fast!"

Boochbeard: "What're ye waitin' for, Pirate? Get us outta their way, and lead them away from the island! Press Up Arrow to put more wind in 'er sails!"

I greatly apologize for this post being very lengthy, but I had to get these thoughts out of my mind to you. Hope you do those real soon.

Thanks again, Professor Falmea!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Nautical battle tutorial, hands down.

However, I'd just like to add how disappointing this question is. We should be talking about more story or more activities for pirates to ENJOY.

Skull Island has been revamped again and again, making the game easier to get through by adding additional experience and over-leveling pirates for the coming gear and areas. BUT what is the point of that if those new players reach the end? Many new players are getting through a LOT of content in the first hour, especially if they have a membership and a friend to quest with.

[still need a ship icon here!]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Feb 9, 2019 wrote:
Nautical battle tutorial, hands down.

However, I'd just like to add how disappointing this question is. We should be talking about more story or more activities for pirates to ENJOY.

Skull Island has been revamped again and again, making the game easier to get through by adding additional experience and over-leveling pirates for the coming gear and areas. BUT what is the point of that if those new players reach the end? Many new players are getting through a LOT of content in the first hour, especially if they have a membership and a friend to quest with.

[still need a ship icon here!]
I agree; a ship tutorial is desperately needed, also some battle tutorial or advice on stats and how different classes benefit from their stats.( This could be handled by the Class Trainers. )

I am also disappointed that we're not talking about anything NEW. We're now approaching the third year without a story update ( or even a hint to one ); much less any significant side content that could ENHANCE our gaming experience!
Is this because there is nothing coming up for P101?

Ensign
Dec 21, 2009
Originally, when you open the game, there was a little cinematic that played on the title screen, which was removed and instead, it now just shows a flag. (It still keeps the old sounds though) I don't understand why this was removed as it really just makes the title screen rather blande. It's a very small change, but it would be nice to bring it back.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
anecorbie on Feb 9, 2019 wrote:
I agree; a ship tutorial is desperately needed, also some battle tutorial or advice on stats and how different classes benefit from their stats.( This could be handled by the Class Trainers. )

I am also disappointed that we're not talking about anything NEW. We're now approaching the third year without a story update ( or even a hint to one ); much less any significant side content that could ENHANCE our gaming experience!
Is this because there is nothing coming up for P101?

Also, cover Advanced Companions!

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
You know I don't feel like newer players know what they're getting into if they pick the Witchdoctor class. I've seen a lot of newer Witches not really commit to you know, being a Witchdoctor! I've seen midgame witches who are stubbornly trying to use a melee weapon, and I think most of us know how trying to be a melee witch goes (they'll die even with me, a max level trying to protect them). Maybe they should get some kind of early game staffy based epic talent so Witchdoctors understand what weapon they're supposed to be using. If I recall correctly Witchdoctors don't even get an epic talent until like level 50, maybe if they got one earlier they'd try and play the class correctly. Also maybe make it so some of those early quest weapons Witchdoctors get are the 5 range wands instead of a 3 range staff, maybe that's what is pushing them away from using staffy weapons, because I have a witch and I avoid those 3 range weapons like the plague.

I know you only asked for one thing so I will keep these brief,
1. Paywall is way too early and probably scares away players, I don't think its bold to say that you could hit the paywall within an hour of starting the game, the paywall should start at the end of Book 1 minimum.
2. Maybe some sort of tutorial quest that introduces the player to the bazaar is in order. Players should know where to go to upgrade their gear when they hit a 5 level milestone. I have seen a few newbies running gear 5-10 levels out of date.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Friendly Jesse Pew on Feb 11, 2019 wrote:
You know I don't feel like newer players know what they're getting into if they pick the Witchdoctor class. I've seen a lot of newer Witches not really commit to you know, being a Witchdoctor! I've seen midgame witches who are stubbornly trying to use a melee weapon, and I think most of us know how trying to be a melee witch goes (they'll die even with me, a max level trying to protect them). Maybe they should get some kind of early game staffy based epic talent so Witchdoctors understand what weapon they're supposed to be using. If I recall correctly Witchdoctors don't even get an epic talent until like level 50, maybe if they got one earlier they'd try and play the class correctly. Also maybe make it so some of those early quest weapons Witchdoctors get are the 5 range wands instead of a 3 range staff, maybe that's what is pushing them away from using staffy weapons, because I have a witch and I avoid those 3 range weapons like the plague.

I know you only asked for one thing so I will keep these brief,
1. Paywall is way too early and probably scares away players, I don't think its bold to say that you could hit the paywall within an hour of starting the game, the paywall should start at the end of Book 1 minimum.
2. Maybe some sort of tutorial quest that introduces the player to the bazaar is in order. Players should know where to go to upgrade their gear when they hit a 5 level milestone. I have seen a few newbies running gear 5-10 levels out of date.
While I support your tips about game play - we do have to allow for those who want to play differently from "the norm." I have a bunch of witchdoctors (for some reason) and not all of them play straight-up Staffy. I have a Staffy-Shooty witch, a Staffy-Stabby witch and a melee witch. Other factors must have come into play if those you saw didn't survive a battle.

Pirate101 is easy enough in those early levels for style to override function as far as gear choices go.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Feb 12, 2019 wrote:
While I support your tips about game play - we do have to allow for those who want to play differently from "the norm." I have a bunch of witchdoctors (for some reason) and not all of them play straight-up Staffy. I have a Staffy-Shooty witch, a Staffy-Stabby witch and a melee witch. Other factors must have come into play if those you saw didn't survive a battle.

Pirate101 is easy enough in those early levels for style to override function as far as gear choices go.

I think that Friendly Jesse Pew was meaning a straight melee weapon and not a staffy combination. I also have a witch that uses a shooty/staffy combo . I have seen this often, whether it was a musketeer armed with a slashy weapon in ranked PVP or a swashbuckler encountered in a mob fight equipped with a rifle.
When a pirate does that it closes out any class power that depends on a certain weapon.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
I realize it might be difficult for KI to teach a new player EVERYTHING about the game. Pirate is MUCH more strategic than Wizard ever even could be. Everything from how you were orphaned to the type of damage (magical or physical) a spell does effects a new players enjoyment of the game.

While there are guides out there on the web, it would be really nice if there was some inside tutorial that would allow a player to go through and be taught.

I have 2 accounts (returning player so I decided to start a new account) and I'm still not sure whether and when i should worry about armor or magical resist.

Community Leader
Willowydream on Feb 12, 2019 wrote:

I think what Jesse is referring to is those witchdoctors who use strength-based melee weapons at mid to high levels. I think KI should, at a minimum, have some sort of tip telling people that your class' main stat is _____ and using weapons based off of (other stat) is generally ineffective

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I nearly forgot...

There should be a new Skeleton Key Tutorial Tip if any Pirate wins one Skeleton Key, and a new introductory quest that introduces Skeleton Keys to Pirates, akin to how it was done in W101 with dueling Diego's brother, Roberto. I already know we have Old Scratch's latest promotion quest that had us using one Obsidian Key from Madame Vadima, but that didn't cover enough exposition behind them, because the other types were in when Krampus appeared. I think these new additions should cover that.

There's certain Tutorial Tips that seemed to have been removed, such as one that explains if one of our companions have been defeated, out first encounter with the Life Fountain in Avery's Court, etc.. I think those should be brought back... if memory serves correct.

There's one other thing, there should be a Tutorial Tip that explains how some bosses cheat in any select dungeon that has those bosses, just like to how Daren Whisperwind warned Wizards about in the Spiral Geographic Society Archives gauntlet, & the Briskbreeze Tower in W101.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I forgot this to say before this post closes.

There should be a Tutorial Tip that explains quests & their icons the moment new Pirates arrive in Captain Avery's office, with a Tutorial Tip that explains categorized quest types when we keep getting different quests, a Tutorial Tip about regular XP upon gaining a level, & a Tutorial Tip that explains companion promotion quests the moment we get one through leveling our companions.

There's one other thing, before Boochbeard says, "That blast nearly did me in! I can barely see! Pirate, use that rope to get to my ship! Take the helm - you'll have to get us to safe harbor!", the moment Deacon escapes, which he should via his own custom made particles when he blasts the barrels that hurt Boochbeard, 'cause all he does for the moment being is stand for a couple seconds until he disappeared when he used his own weapon, Mr. Gandry should say this...

Mr. Gandry: " Blasted Deacon, the vile, slippery Spymaster! He's gone! Monsieur Boochbeard, are you alright?!"

There should also be a Tutorial Tip that explains different weapon types, & strategizing through those types through knowing specific enemies' classes to give pirates advantages.

Almost needed to say this. Before doing the Three Rats quests, they should be arranged and completed in their linear order, starting with Manny, Moe, and ends at Jack, with Lasko guiding us to them, each, in said order, before the Ratbeard hunt.

I think that's about that. Thanks again!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
I'd like to see our Skull Island Revamped like Wizard City fer Pirate101's 10th Anniversary, Who be with me?

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan
- Deadeye Abigail Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
jack morgan933 on Apr 22, 2019 wrote:
I'd like to see our Skull Island Revamped like Wizard City fer Pirate101's 10th Anniversary, Who be with me?

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan
- Deadeye Abigail Morgan
I don't know, our graphics was already better than "old" W101 - there are so many other more important things than a cosmetic update.
Although, a way to change the way our pirates look has been asked for many times.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
jack morgan933 on Apr 22, 2019 wrote:

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan
- Deadeye Abigail Morgan
Sorry, I'd much rather see a new world or new side activities rather than go back over graphics and early content.

7th anniversary is due in October - I wonder if we should start taking bets on Pirate101 reaching 10.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Willowydream on Apr 23, 2019 wrote:
Sorry, I'd much rather see a new world or new side activities rather than go back over graphics and early content.

7th anniversary is due in October - I wonder if we should start taking bets on Pirate101 reaching 10.

I'll take that bet!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Apr 23, 2019 wrote:

Or even 8?

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
anecorbie on Apr 23, 2019 wrote:
I don't know, our graphics was already better than "old" W101 - there are so many other more important things than a cosmetic update.
Although, a way to change the way our pirates look has been asked for many times.
At the rate our Captains in KI with working on Big Updates, It could be till the 10th before the next Ark in the Story so I be glad to take anything big at this point mates. Do not get me wrong I still have hope, but it be a matter of time before we get less Pirates be on board, and on an other note lets not underestimate what good Graphics can do, it can lure ye in!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan
- Deadeye Abigail Morgan

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I would like to see something that gives new pirates a taste of some of the other worlds in our part of the Spiral, so they know it's not all Skull Island, because they got a peek at some of it themselves. In Wiz, the bear in Old Town takes you for a brief peek at Grizzleheim and a tiny quest. They could do something like that, or even better, add a Skull Island appearance of the Professor, who could show us a few places from his B.O.X. and have some appropriate battles for Skull Island level. I would LOVE to see the Professor added here. If adding something like 4 boxes is too big a bite, they could start with one and add more, one at a time, later. Who else would like that?
Yar! I would!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
jack morgan933 on Apr 25, 2019 wrote:
At the rate our Captains in KI with working on Big Updates, It could be till the 10th before the next Ark in the Story so I be glad to take anything big at this point mates. Do not get me wrong I still have hope, but it be a matter of time before we get less Pirates be on board, and on an other note lets not underestimate what good Graphics can do, it can lure ye in!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan
- Deadeye Abigail Morgan
Another 3 years without story content and this game will be dead. Those cosmetic changes that are implemented in W101 were necessary as the game was looking old and tired.
Our game isn't at that point, in fact, with Marleybone, Aquila, & VA2 the world and NPCs were excellent.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Apr 26, 2019 wrote:
I would like to see something that gives new pirates a taste of some of the other worlds in our part of the Spiral, so they know it's not all Skull Island, because they got a peek at some of it themselves. In Wiz, the bear in Old Town takes you for a brief peek at Grizzleheim and a tiny quest. They could do something like that, or even better, add a Skull Island appearance of the Professor, who could show us a few places from his B.O.X. and have some appropriate battles for Skull Island level. I would LOVE to see the Professor added here. If adding something like 4 boxes is too big a bite, they could start with one and add more, one at a time, later. Who else would like that?
Yar! I would!
Perhaps a merchant sailor from Marleybone could transport a ( say level 25-30 pirate ), to Marleybone and have them speak to some NPCs?
I choose Marleybone because it's one of the most beautiful worlds we have in the game, the night sky would also be different from the sunny skies throughout most of the game.
Yarrr! Be bringin' t' Perfesser 'ere, says I!