Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Crown Shop Companions Are NOT Worth It

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 23, 2018
Hi,
On my Buccaneer, I have bought the Lucy Sterling companion which is the crown shop variant of Sarah Steele, exclusive to Swashbucklers. However I compared the gameplay differences between the two and found that crown shop companions are missing many abilities that the original have.

Like for Lucy Sterling at max level she is missing the 'Shadowdance' and 'Walk in Darkness' abilities which are core parts of Sarah Steele's kit as her playstyle is very assassin-like, achieved through the extra crit and double damage she provides herself. I believe for buying a companion, I should be receiving the full value of the original counterpart, considering it costs a lot to even play the game.

I also see this in other crown shop companions like Pepe DeTorteau, the variant of Louis Le Bisque, where the variant is missing the 'Bear Trap' ability, again a HUGE part of Louis' kit.

I understand that selling full powered companions could be hurtful to aspects such as PvP, however if these companions are being sold to make money, there should at least be full incentive to buy them, and said companions could be disabled for PvP.

I love the design of Lucy Sterling as much as Sarah Steele's, and would love for my Lucy to have the same power and value as the original counterpart. I really hope to see others feel the same.

Lucy wiki page:
https://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Companion:Lucy_Sterling_(Mouse_Corsair)
Sarah wiki page:
https://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Companion:Sarah_Steele_(Mouse_Corsair)

- Aceonia

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Aceonia on Apr 7, 2020 wrote:
Hi,
On my Buccaneer, I have bought the Lucy Sterling companion which is the crown shop variant of Sarah Steele, exclusive to Swashbucklers. However I compared the gameplay differences between the two and found that crown shop companions are missing many abilities that the original have.

Like for Lucy Sterling at max level she is missing the 'Shadowdance' and 'Walk in Darkness' abilities which are core parts of Sarah Steele's kit as her playstyle is very assassin-like, achieved through the extra crit and double damage she provides herself. I believe for buying a companion, I should be receiving the full value of the original counterpart, considering it costs a lot to even play the game.

I also see this in other crown shop companions like Pepe DeTorteau, the variant of Louis Le Bisque, where the variant is missing the 'Bear Trap' ability, again a HUGE part of Louis' kit.

I understand that selling full powered companions could be hurtful to aspects such as PvP, however if these companions are being sold to make money, there should at least be full incentive to buy them, and said companions could be disabled for PvP.

I love the design of Lucy Sterling as much as Sarah Steele's, and would love for my Lucy to have the same power and value as the original counterpart. I really hope to see others feel the same.

Lucy wiki page:
Sarah wiki page:

- Aceonia
I don't agree that crown shop "twins" or "clones" should be exact replicas of the companions exclusive to a certain class.
A swash shouldn't have 2 such powerful companions as Sarah nor muskets have two Louises. In fact I use Louis' bomb more often than his single trap, it's not essential, imo.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
the only kraken skull varient that is worth it is exeter and that's solely because he just doesn't have the weak aoe heal that emmett has

and honestly the bombs are a bigger part of louis's kit than the trap lol

Ensign
Aug 17, 2013
Hi,

Lucy wiki page:
Sarah wiki page:

- Aceonia
A few years ago I made the mistake of buying Lucy....
I thought she would get the ability later (idk why), and after fully promoted basically gave up, I'm with you on this.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I bought Goronado, Nikeeta, Bosun Budd, Malik, Black Anne Rackham, Itzen Kaan, and the Haywire Battle Angel. And possibly Blightbeard. I never really use any of them.

(Except Black Anne, she's spectacular in PvE.)

Ensign
Mar 23, 2018
anecorbie on Apr 8, 2020 wrote:
I don't agree that crown shop "twins" or "clones" should be exact replicas of the companions exclusive to a certain class.
A swash shouldn't have 2 such powerful companions as Sarah nor muskets have two Louises. In fact I use Louis' bomb more often than his single trap, it's not essential, imo.
Yes, I agree that having two Sarah's would be ridiculous, however twin companions could simply be locked for those who already have the original. As for louis, I agree that the bombs would be more useful as I've never played louis at that level, but Lucy without the double damage is pretty bad and I've requested a refund. hopefully KingsIsle takes pity on me.

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
Hi,

Lucy wiki page:
Sarah wiki page:

- Aceonia
Crown shop companions are great. You shouldn't compare them to their equivalent. Every companion is special in it's own way. You just have to see it.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
Amazingshot123 on Apr 11, 2020 wrote:
Crown shop companions are great. You shouldn't compare them to their equivalent. Every companion is special in it's own way. You just have to see it.
quite a few just dont work out though, like uga buga who can't excel since he doesn't get the half of mormos kit that lets him excel (blade + storm)

Ensign
Aug 17, 2013
Amazingshot123 on Apr 11, 2020 wrote:
I bought Lucy on my privateer, I think it was a waste.....
(To be fair it was a while ago lol)